Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 10th July 2019, 17:29   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Midsize 4x4 SUV needed in India

What about the VW Tiguan?

Some great discounts also available on it, should bring the price down to Jeep Compass Trailhawk levels.

A recent trip to Mahabaleshwar during the recent downpours (with a Creta & Endeavour giving it company) showed how capable the car really is - highway manners were impeccable, while being compact enough for the city run about on the narrow roads there. It is a little stiffly sprung no doubt but it ate up everything that was thrown at it - dense fog, ghats, unmarked potholes & speed breakers, non-stop rain and thunderstorms with the odd pool of water collected on the right lane of the highway, etc.

If a new one is out of budget, have a look at a pre-owned within warranty example (and make sure to get the extended warranty package as well).
Heck, at 4.4M, it is shorter than our Corolla as well, and just 0.2M longer than the Creta.

Last edited by lamborghini : 10th July 2019 at 17:31.
lamborghini is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2019, 17:44   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I have been constantly scanning this segment because my next vehicle (when I need it), must belong to this segment. We are basically talking about a 5 seater 4WD SUV.

There are very slim pickings. You have just Duster, Compass and Tucson. If you are open to pre-owned, a Grand Vitara 2.4 is a remote possibility. But you have better chance of getting hit by lightening than find a 2.4L GV.
exactly, i Echo Samurais concerns, now we can buy a scorpio or the Pajero, but what we all need is a small SUV, with a great turning radius and 4WD capability
Old 15th July 2019, 10:57   #18
BHPian

Force Gurkha Xtreme

Period!
Old 15th July 2019, 20:16   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitemm550 View Post
exactly, i Echo Samurais concerns, now we can buy a scorpio or the Pajero, but what we all need is a small SUV, with a great turning radius and 4WD capability
Then Duster is your best if not only viable bet. Or the Nissan Terrano - which is a rebadged and bugfixed Duster. And the new Duster is a bugfixed Terrano is what I hear .. so maybe you should buy new instead of pre owned.

Ugly styling or not the engine is a gem and it is a superb highway cruiser.
hserus is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2019, 22:46   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Or the Nissan Terrano - which is a rebadged and bugfixed Duster.
Unless they are offering AWD, it can't be in contention.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2019, 00:27   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I still feel a craving for a Creta-sized diesel / petrol SUV with a full time 4x4 tranny.
It actually do not exist!

The Thar is a lifestyle vehicle and misses out on the basic comfort level.
No point in going for the current generation Scorpio by paying around 18L as the new Scorpio is on the way.
Storme & Hexa are at the end of their life cycle.

The best bet for you will be the Compass AWD.
The new Duster AWD has better nvh is what i heard (i have not yet driven it), but it's not available in the top trim anymore. So many features are now missing.

So either you need to increase your budget & buy the Compass Awd or buy the Duster AWD with some compromise.

The need of the moment -
Renault - Bring the new generation Duster.
Maruti - Bring the Jimny.
FCA- Bring the Renegade.

But sadly none of the above three will come.

Last edited by Samba : 16th July 2019 at 00:35.
Samba is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th December 2019, 19:06   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Then Duster is your best if not only viable bet. Or the Nissan Terrano - which is a rebadged and bugfixed Duster. And the new Duster is a bugfixed Terrano is what I hear .. so maybe you should buy new instead of pre owned.

Ugly styling or not the engine is a gem and it is a superb highway cruiser.
hi.
i did buy a Duster AWD, RXZ, used it for 3 k kms, had fun, won a autocross in my backyard, and was pretty amazed at the capability of the car in slush. BUT
1. the seats offer zero comfort
2. horror stories abound on the net, regarding the long term EXPENSIVE injector failure and hit or miss Renault service, so did sell it off
Old 15th December 2019, 06:07   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hi.
i did buy a Duster AWD, RXZ, used it for 3 k kms, had fun, won a autocross in my backyard, and was pretty amazed at the capability of the car in slush. BUT
1. the seats offer zero comfort
2. horror stories abound on the net, regarding the long term EXPENSIVE injector failure and hit or miss Renault service, so did sell it off
Nope - you did wrong there. There is no shortage of competent fngs plus regular oil changes / clean diesel minimise any risk of injector failure. Even if injectors follows there are good third party injector service outfits like your nearest Bosch Diesel Centre.

If you wanted to sell it you could have posted here for gods sake.
Old 23rd December 2019, 10:46   #24
BHPian

Why not get a Compass? It sounds like the perfect fit for your description of needs. It was mentioned earlier as well I think. It might not be hardcore 4x4 with a transfer case, but the AWD system is extremely good, I hear.
Old 23rd December 2019, 18:12   #25
BANNED

Quote:
Iam thinking you’ll have to be a good boy and say your prayers every night and ask the good Lord above and Santa too, to somehow influence the dunderheaded halfwits who run this company called Maruti Suzuki India, to open the little buttons that they have, stuck to the upper bits of their mugs, instead of eyes, and bring in that diminutive and highly capable little Suzuki Jimny in its full-fat International top spec avatar.
That is probably the one vehicle that will make you happy and do the job you’re asking. Otherwise, if I were you, I would look no further than a HYUNDAI Tucson and Jeep Compass, from the present crop of vehicles that abound in India.
None other really will come close. But yes, there is merit in what some of the boys are saying - hang in there for a bit and see how the new Thar is, for your needs. The only issue is that the AT will be a bit down the track as will the Petrol versions.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 23rd December 2019 at 18:17.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2019, 12:23   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suneel View Post
Why not get a Compass? It sounds like the perfect fit for your description of needs. It was mentioned earlier as well I think. It might not be hardcore 4x4 with a transfer case, but the AWD system is extremely good, I hear.
already have a Jeep compass limited in our stable, but vehicle is let down by a huge turning radius
whitemm550 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2019, 12:55   #27
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

The perfect vehicle simply doesn't exists !

You ought to compromise somewhere, atleast by a small margin. The way I see it, there is no new Duster headed our way in the near future and it is unlikely that you will get a 4x4 variant of Creta or Venue or Seltos or Ecosport here.

If AWD fits your bill, you may wait for the Harrier AWD which is rumored to come next year. Else, if you can compromise on NVH levels, the upcoming Thar with Hard Top should be a great vehicle to own. But none of these options will be exactly what you desire.

If you are open to pre-owned vehicles, Yeti 4x4 or Grand Vitara 4x4 would be a nice stop-gap measure till we have more options in this segment.
Old 16th January 2020, 10:31   #28
BHPian

A little off-topic, but still kinda relevant

Am in the middle of a weird conundrum. I've been a sedan man for most part of my life, however, growing family consisting of a teen and old age parents now calls for a 6-7 seater in the family.

Currently, i drive a Honda City VX CVT, which will go out of the family for a 7 seater SUV. When it comes to a 6/7 seater car, the choices are rather limited. Constraints are budget (appx. 20-22 OTR), and an automatic to suit the daily drive needs in Delhi's maddening traffic.

I do not really have much of a liking for MUV's, plus, Ertiga and Marazzo do not cut it with, whilst, Crysta is way too expensive for the funds i have.

This leaves me with limited choices:

1. XUV500 W11 (Opt) AT
2. Tata Hexa XTA

I have had a bad experience with Tata in the past and thus Tata is eliminated too, besides, my vicinity does not have a Tata service center either.

The XUV500 ticks all boxes (even though it is a bit long in the tooth now), however, it is a fun to drive and practical car for my needs and with the BS6 threat, the cost is very tempting - i am getting it at about 20.2 OTR.

I've had a few test drives in the XUV500, which is where the confusion stems from:

1. Honda seems to have more power on tap (as far as the urban commute is considered). XUV is by no means underpowered, but Honda is a more fun to drive car to me personally.
2. Family just didn't like to ride on the middle seat. Per them, it is way too bumpy.
3. Interiors seemed inferior to the Honda City.

Now, this being my first SUV, i think that the ride quality on the middle seat can definitely not match a sedan and surely not with Honda City.

What do you all suggest, is XUV500 actually an upgrade to the Honda City ?? Should i continue with Honda for a few more years and make do with Cabs / Ola / Uber whenever there is a requirement of a family outing ??

And should i be looking to invest 20 big ones at this time considering the threat of BS6 ??
Old 16th January 2020, 10:33   #29
Senior - BHPian

Try for a used Honda CRV if you like. It might tick all your boxes.
Old 16th January 2020, 11:02   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Try for a used Honda CRV if you like. It might tick all your boxes.
I did look for these - The availability of 7 seater ones is very very scarce ATM

Most Viewed