Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2019, 17:57   #1
BHPian

Midsize 4x4 SUV needed in India

Hi guys, I too have been in the dreaded dilemma, of choosing a new car, for daily use, though I do use a funtastic Hyundai Creta SX auto as a daily drive, and a Pajero SFX for those adventure drives. I still feel a craving for a Creta-sized diesel / petrol SUV with a full time 4x4 tranny.

Did look at the Renault Duster AWD, but the refinement was missing. In the XUV3OO, the 4x4 was missing. Hell, looks like, I am still looking for that perfect, affordable SUV.

Last edited by GTO : 9th July 2019 at 08:48. Reason: Formatting
Old 8th July 2019, 19:58   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Midsize 4x4 SUV needed in India

Why don't you try the Tata Xenon 2.2 4x4 Crew Cab DLE ABS variant from your local Tata Motors dealership? I will miss out on Airbags and any Auto Transmission, but it has Power Steering, Manual AC, Height Adjustable Front Seat Belts, Tilt Adjustable Steering, Power Adjustable ORVMs, ABS, etc. It is a 5 seater, and has a good loading bed as well. It'll set you back by a shade over Rs.10 Lakhs and has Limited Slip Differential as well as Shift On The Fly 4x4 system from Both Warner for your off roading requirements.

Or you can go for Scorpio Getaway as well, it has Cruise Control & Driver and Co-Driver Armrests as well over most of the features that Xenon will offer to you, but will set you back by about 14 odd lakhs.
AdityaDeane is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th July 2019, 20:09   #3
BHPian

Why not wait for the next gen Thar. Its gonna be much more livable. Also, you already have a Creta and Pajero in the garage there is no lack of a primary car.

In addition, you have mm550 in your handle, so why not wait for a tribute to it.

I think the next gen Thar might be perfect for you, it would have the right amount of features and would be in your range too.

If you can stretch a bit, then the D-MAX V Cross might be good but its no way midsize.

Last edited by Shreyas Agarwal : 8th July 2019 at 20:10.
Shreyas Agarwal is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 8th July 2019, 20:17   #4
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitemm550 View Post
a new car, for daily use
Creta sized diesel/ petrol SUV
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
Tata Xenon

Or you can go for Scorpio Getaway

Both of the cars that you recommended are longer than 5 metres.
That is, they are both longer than the Fortuner as well as the Endeavour.
simeonovitch is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th July 2019, 20:27   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simeonovitch View Post
Both of the cars that you recommended are longer than 5 metres.
That is, they are both longer than the Fortuner as well as the Endeavour.
Then in that size I guess the only options are Thar and Gurkha, because Gypsy is not available now, and the rest are longer.

Why not the Harrier then, it may not be 4x4, but with the Terrain Response System it is quite capable. Or try the Scorpio and Safari or Hexa 4x4, but they again are not Creta sized, but are longer.
Old 9th July 2019, 08:43   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi guys, i too have been in the dreaded dilemma, of choosing a new car, for daily use, though i do use a funtastic Hyundai Creta Sx auto, as a daily drive, and a Pajero SFX for those adventure drives,
If I have a mint SFX in my garage, I wouldn't even bother with whatever is on offer in market today.

If you find the Duster to be less refined, the Compass is your only option in that size.
Sheel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th July 2019, 08:54   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Midsize 4x4 SUV needed in India

I think that the market now has a lot of 4x4s, although of course, they are pricey, especially the Jeep Compass which IMHO is exactly what you're looking for. Invest that money, wait till it appreciates and then buy the Compass. It's perfect for your requirements.

Agreed with Shreyas on the next-generation Thar. They are definitely taking things up a notch, so it might be worth the wait.

You could also consider the XUV500 AWD. If you are open to pre-owned, nothing quite like a Tucson AWD for something that's competent on-road and can handle a little bit of Goan beaches & slush .

Last edited by GTO : 9th July 2019 at 08:56.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2019, 17:07   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
Why don't you try the Tata Xenon 2.2 4x4 Crew Cab DLE ABS variant from your local Tata Motors dealership? Or you can go for Scorpio Getaway as well, it has Cruise Control & Driver and Co-Driver Armrests as well over most of the features that Xenon will offer to you, but will set you back by about 14 odd lakhs.
Hi Aditya,
you are completely missing the point mate, i want a daily commuter, with a 4x4 capability, that is a cross between the Pajero and the Creta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas Agarwal View Post
If you can stretch a bit, then the D-MAX V Cross might be good but its no way midsize.
oops, forgot to mention, that i have a V cross in my garage too

Last edited by Samurai : 9th July 2019 at 18:36. Reason: B2b post
whitemm550 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th July 2019, 18:01   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Aditya,
you are completely missing the point mate, i want a daily commuter, with a 4x4 capability, that is a cross between the Pajero and the Creta
Skoda Kodiaq might fit the bill - but be sure you know your way around Skoda's ASS network and/or have a good FNG handy. https://www.carwale.com/skoda-cars/k...yle20tdi4x4at/
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2019, 18:48   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I still feel a craving for a Creta-sized diesel / petrol SUV with a full time 4x4 tranny.
I have been constantly scanning this segment because my next vehicle (when I need it), must belong to this segment. We are basically talking about a 5 seater 4WD SUV.

There are very slim pickings. You have just Duster, Compass and Tucson. If you are open to pre-owned, a Grand Vitara 2.4 is a remote possibility. But you have better chance of getting hit by lightening than find a 2.4L GV.
Samurai is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th July 2019, 22:44   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I think there a number of us in this category.

Unfortunately anything less than 20 lakhs in this category is a manual. I am so used to automatics, that I cannot go back to manual. My Duster was AWD, but since I do a lot of driving, the manual transmission was getting on my nerves.

I was lucky that my friend decided to sell his pristine 2012 Montero, so I sold my Duster AWD and picked up the Montero. It is larger than what I would have liked, but the turning radius is about 5.7only, and the power and comfort plus the automatic checks my boxes. I am hoping to find a used Jeep Compass Trailhawk in a couple of years .
Attached Thumbnails
Midsize 4x4 SUV needed in India-monteropic1.jpg  

Midsize 4x4 SUV needed in India-monteropic2.jpg  

4x4addict is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th July 2019, 08:28   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I think there a number of us in this category.

Unfortunately anything less than 20 lakhs in this category is a manual. I am so used to automatics, that I cannot go back to manual. My Duster was AWD, but since I do a lot of driving, the manual transmission was getting on my nerves.
At that size you might just as well pick up a 4x4 scorpio.
Old 10th July 2019, 08:38   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Don't get him started on the 4X4 Scorpio
PS: You can search for 4wd Scorpio threads by him and you would know what i mean.
Old 10th July 2019, 09:11   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post

Had the first mhawk 4WD. Even after the mhawk was launched the 4WD continued with the older 2.6 CRDe engine. I had a connect in senior management in Mahindra who told me that the mhawk 4WD version was couple of months away and asked me to wait. Soon as it was launced, I bought I ordered and got one of the first ones. But, I tell you, there is nothing so ergonomically flawed and poorly designed as a Scorpio. No to mention the terrible ride quality.

The current one is lot better but still the same wine in a new bottle. I am open to all new one planned for launch next year. I like the profile and since all new vehicles from Mahindra have major inputs from their North American Technical Center, I am sure it must be good, like the Marrazo.

That is something I would consider. However, I would prefer to wait for about 2 years so that the initial teething issues can be ironed out. I am also concerned about the BS-VI electronics and I feel it will take some time for them to sort out all the launch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Don't get him started on the 4X4 Scorpio
Lol. After being stranded two times with two concentric clutch slave cylinder failures, I am not too eager to jump into another scorpio. BTW, I eventually found out that this was very common theme with the mhawk scorpio owners. Mahindra re-designed the part, but never bothered to tell existing owners or issue a recall, knowing very well that this was a defective part.
4x4addict is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th July 2019, 10:53   #15

If you're willing to go the used car route, you could have a look at the Škoda Yeti, albeit slightly old. It used to be a fairly capable car both on the road as well as off it. A facelift was introduced in 2014, as well. The interiors too, would not feel like a step down from the Creta which you currently have.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks