Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2019, 10:10   #1
BHPian

Advice on buying a Toyota Land Cruiser 100-Series

I am looking to get myself a 100 series land cruiser (1997-2007). Can anyone help me with what to look out for? tips for maintenance etc. I have listed my questions and thoughts about it below, please feel free to correct me if there are any errors.

I found a 2007 model that did less than 50,000 Kms (have my doubts about reading) for 28 Lakhs but looks to be clean and well maintained.

https://www.olx.in/item/toyota-land-...iid-1525049407

1) I need to ensure paper work (especially import papers) is in correct order.

2) Most of the cars i see on OLX are converted to Lexus version with bodykits and stuff. I would prefer an unmolested version.

3) Would prefer the post face-lift version (Post 2003), mostly because its coming with a 5 speed auto rather than the 4 speed auto in the preface-lift version. My thinking is any issues would have been worked out by this year.

4) On OLX they seem to be listed around 15-20 lakhs for the preface-lift models and around 25 lakhs for the post face-lift models. What would be a good price to pay?

5) Can Toyota dealerships in major cities like Hyderabad or Bangalore service them (at least a basic service)? or would i be better of finding a FNG?

6) How is the spares availability? I know they can be shipped from the middle east. What about regular consumables?

7) Any major issues i need to look out for?

Thanks in advance!

I know for 20 to 30 lakhs i will be spending on purchasing and modifying this, i can get a Fortuner or Endeavour. But one major issue i have is i am 6'6 tall and its very difficult to get comfortable in either of them. In the new Fortuner, the steering wheel is placed too low even at the highest setting, while in the new Endeavour, my knee is hitting the dashboard. The land cruiser has it disadvantages, like huge size and poor mileage, but i am putting my comfort before that. Provided i get a well taken care of Land Cruiser, i know it will last my lifetime. So i am willing to take a chance on it.
abhiram7912 is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 26th July 2019, 10:51   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Advice on buying a Toyota Land Cruiser 100-Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhiram7912 View Post
I found a 2007 model that did less than 50,000 Kms (have my doubts about reading) for 28 Lakhs but looks to be clean and well maintained.
Not possible in any circumstances. This is not something that will do 4,000 Km in a Year. Hard to tell about the repaint and stuff, engine compartment does look dressed up.

28 Lac is too much money for this, save yourself all the hassles and visit FORD showroom and pick a new Endeavour.

If not, here's the answer to your questions

Quote:
) I need to ensure paper work (especially import papers) is in correct order.
Must be private import and it might be difficult to get Custom papers. Your best bet will be to get the car transferred in the same RTO. If you are thinking of transferring to some other place, do factor a lot of expenses and time.

Quote:
Most of the cars i see on OLX are converted to Lexus version with bodykits and stuff. I would prefer an unmolested version.
That should be of the least concern, all such cars must have done 2-4 Lac Km minimum, you can always restore back to original by ordering body parts via Toyota or overseas.

Quote:
Would prefer the post face-lift version (Post 2003), mostly because its coming with a 5 speed auto rather than the 4 speed auto in the preface-lif
I am no expert but finding LC-100 in itself is such a challenge so you can't be choosy.

Quote:
Can Toyota dealerships in major cities like Hyderabad or Bangalore service them (at least a basic service)? or would i be better of finding a FNG?

How is the spares availability? I know they can be shipped from the middle east. What about regular consumables?
Yes, they can do and get the parts from overseas. Some of the parts might be in stocks as well. But it will be a good idea to check with the local Toyota dealership. You can share the VIN. I have seen them servicing old LC Prados from this era so LC100 won't be any different.

Quote:
i am 6'6 tall and its very difficult to get comfortable in either of them. In the new Fortuner, the steering wheel is placed too low even at the highest setting, while in the new Endeavour, my knee is hitting the dashboard.
Have you considered an option to move back the driver seat little backwards? I think it should be possible and may help you with Endeavour.
Turbanator is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 26th July 2019, 11:10   #3
BHPian

Quote:
That sees really low. I would ensure the car is not clocked.

Quote:
2) Most of the cars i see on OLX are converted to Lexus version with bodykits and stuff. I would prefer an unmolested version.
Normally the work is decently done, i wouldn't worry about this too much

Quote:
5) Can Toyota dealerships in major cities like Hyderabad or Bangalore service them (at least a basic service)? or would i be better of finding a FNG?
DSK in pune used to help service my LC100. I am not sure about other cities, but Toyota HO in Bangalore, normally helps the dealerships with repair manuals, etc.
As for an FNG- once again with the service and workshop manuals the cars are relatively easy to work on.

Quote:
6) How is the spares availability? I know they can be shipped from the middle east. What about regular consumables?
Spares are easy to get from Dubai and from Japan. The LC100/200 shares its oil filter with the Qualis Most times spares will be cheaper than a Mercedes or BMW. As for electronic items - they will be as expensive as any other manufacturer.

Quote:
7) Any major issues i need to look out for?
The Height Control system and ABS are the two main areas to look out for.

For the Height Control from LOW mode to HIGH there should be a difference of a minimum 7 Marks on the Oil Reservoir. Additionally the front Torsion bars need to be checked - if there is no more adjustment left - then a suspension change will be required.

Generally they are easy to look after, with a good mechanic and not much goes wrong with a well looked after LC.
Samir Taheer is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 26th July 2019, 11:22   #4
BHPian

Thanks for the info both of you. Your words on the lexus conversions cleared up my worries. Will include them in my search as well. What do you guys think a good price would be i am thinking of budgeting around 18 lakhs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post

Have you considered an option to move back the driver seat little backwards? I think it should be possible and may help you with Endeavour.
I did. But since it has curtain airbags did not want to mess with the seat layout. And the land cruiser bug has bitten me hard, so not really considering other options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir Taheer View Post
The Height Control system and ABS are the two main areas to look out for.

For the Height Control from LOW mode to HIGH there should be a difference of a minimum 7 Marks on the Oil Reservoir. Additionally the front Torsion bars need to be checked - if there is no more adjustment left - then a suspension change will be required.
I have been reading up on the AHC (Automatic height control?) system. Will see if i can find one with out or one in good condition. Worst-case i will do a delete.
abhiram7912 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th July 2019, 11:47   #5
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

In most probability - these Lexus LX470's are Landcruiser converted in Dubai and imported to Kerala. These imports were a huge scam in the late 90's - so please be very careful in checking the paperwork.
v12 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th July 2019, 13:04   #6
BHPian

It's very hard trying to fall in love with any other suv after looking at the land crusier. Here is what I recommend.

Talk to the buyer get an understanding of the garages he has taken his car to. - When you take the car to a mechanic make sure its not the same garage.

Now the interesting part. Ask about the number of battery replacements done and number of times the tires have been changed. This will give you a much better idea of kms driven.

Third, these cars last long. Even if the car had driven 2L kms, but with regular maintenance. I doubt if there will be any major servicing costs.

So test drive the vehicle in detail. Get your trusted mechanic to look at it. If it's all fine, go ahead.
Shashwat B is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th July 2019, 14:13   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Advice on buying a Toyota Land Cruiser 100-Series

These are great SUVs, but I'm against the idea of buying a 12-year old import when India itself has such amazing cars on sale now. That too at 28 lakhs! I can understand if one has sentimental value attached to a particular model, but that's not the case here.

Quote:
But one major issue i have is i am 6'6 tall and its very difficult to get comfortable in either of them.
A 6'4" dude I know comfortably drives an Alturas. Check it out - you might be surprised. My first recommendation to you would be the Endeavour though (height permitting). Also check out the Kodiaq & Tiguan as Europeans offer long-travel front seats.
GTO is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2019, 11:43   #8
BHPian

Hi Abhiram, I would recommend having a look at the auctions in Delhi for vehicles owned by foreign diplomats. You can find excellent examples especially of Toyota LC and Lexus variety SUVs with genuine low mileage. It shouldn't affect your cost as these vehicles anyway need to be re-registered on purchase. (Delhi to Hyderabad) Also the advantage you may have is that the RTOs usually enter your date of purchase as date of registration, which in some cases allow the vehicle to have a further registered life rather than the 10 years in metros for diesel vehicles.
One thing to bear in mind would be to have the mechanicals inspected because it's very common for the drivers in high commissions to furnish a bill of service from Toyota however the vehicles are usually serviced at Palika Bhawan, which is the hub for import car parts in Delhi.

All the best.
hellraiser_yank is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2019, 11:55   #9
BHPian

Please check with Big Boy Toyz.
They had a Brown LX (Converted LC), and a well maintained genuine vehicle.
The sales guys used to tell the history of the conversion, import and the kit and the maintenance of the vehicle.
It had genuinely covered few lakh KMS, and all the electronics were working, along with the air suspension.
You may have to call them and check the availability, as this vehicle will not be on the website, for it to being too old.
v_safari is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2019, 12:29   #10
BHPian

Unless you are tied down by your heart bleeding out for just one model, there is no reason to spend 28 big ones on a 12 year old Landcruiser with so many complications and import papers to top it.

I was in a similar situation of trying to upgrade from my trusty 170k driven Tucson but cannot find an alternative, period. The landcruiser will cost more, give up on you more, spend more time in the garage and generally feel worn compared to any newer similar car.

I would suggest picking up a new car or atleast one that ticks most boxes for you - Fortuner and Endeavour are right in your budget.

Then again, the heart wants what the heart wants.
shankarbn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2019, 12:33   #11
BHPian

Quote:

I know for 20 to 30 lakhs i will be spending on purchasing and modifying this, i can get a Fortuner or Endeavour. But one major issue i have is i am 6'6 tall and its very difficult to get comfortable in either of them. In the new Fortuner, the steering wheel is placed too low even at the highest setting, while in the new Endeavour, my knee is hitting the dashboard. The land cruiser has it disadvantages, like huge size and poor mileage, but i am putting my comfort before that. Provided i get a well taken care of Land Cruiser, i know it will last my lifetime. So i am willing to take a chance on it.
I would recommend you expand your market search. Go to Delhi/NCR, BOM columns. There are a good number of these vehicles in these markets. At one time, I too had that bug, did find quite a few legit examples.
Old 2nd August 2019, 14:36   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

What about the older gen fortuner? Since you are open to pre-owned, if it is more comfortable for you than the new one - it could be a good option to consider - parts will be easily available, you'll get a newer model within budget, and much more reliable too.
Old 2nd August 2019, 15:06   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
What about the older gen fortuner? Since you are open to pre-owned, if it is more comfortable for you than the new one - it could be a good option to consider - parts will be easily available, you'll get a newer model within budget, and much more reliable too.
I am actually open to the idea of the previous gen Fortuner. In the newer one the steering wheel even when adjusted to its highest position is in between my legs (feels like sitting in a child's toy car).

With regards to previous gen Fortuner, i am discussing with few people about making new seat rails or seat rail extensions. Have to see how it goes.
Old 2nd August 2019, 17:27   #14
BHPian

If you are willing to spend close to 30 lakhs on a Toyota SUV, I would highly recommend the Land Cruiser Prado 150 series. 2 owner 2012 models can be found for under 30 lakhs and the best thing is most big service centres are capable of servicing those behemoths. It also has a high equipment list and having driven one on many occasions, I can vouch for its commanding presence and novelty factor on the streets. The engine and gearbox combinations are the same as that on a Toyota Fortuner and I remember my dad's friend telling me that the accidental repair cost of a Prado isn't much different to that of a Fortuner! Another option would be a sparsely used Mitsubishi Montero. The resale value of Monteros are really bad so you might be lucky to find a mint condition example for very little money. Happy hunting
aveoman19 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2019, 21:37   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
These are great SUVs, but I'm against the idea of buying a 12-year old import when India itself has such amazing cars on sale now...
I second you GTO. Buying a very old used vehicle with unknown service history and ownership details is inviting trouble, especially at that price. Stretch a bit more and we can possibly find a brand new SUV that will fit all the needs and be reliable for the next 10 years!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks