Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2007, 20:41   #16

Thanks for all the suggestions. Hugely helpful.

I would not assume US = BIG, the most common model in our office parking lot is the Prius (the fact that my company hands out money to buy one does not hurt...).

I think there is consensus on the Innova. Some suggested Petrol, others Diesel. If I use it for 1000 km a month (maybe a bit more) and will sell in 3 years, is there preference for one over the other? Never driven a diesel so do not know the driving difference, on the other hand, the driver will most likely drive this and I am not a speed demon. Given Indian conditions, is there a huge difference in the safety between the Innova and Scorpio (know folks who have the latter)?

I will look into the Santro (would love to know why some folks have issues with the auto transmission), the WagonR and the City CVT. What does NHC translate (missed that)?

Out of sheer curiosity, I see the WagonR comes in LPG (though not in the automatic version). Does LPG translate to higher fuel economy (I know about the pollution benefit)?

Thanks
U
Old 10th February 2007, 00:50   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by uy663z View Post
I use it for 1000 km a month (maybe a bit more) and will sell in 3 years, is there preference for one over the other? Never driven a diesel so do not know the driving difference, on the other hand, the driver will most likely drive this and I am not a speed demon. Given Indian conditions, is there a huge difference in the safety between the Innova and Scorpio ?
With the kind of running you have mentioned and the life of 3yrs, no need to look for diesel. Petrol will be just fine.
Innova offers both airbags and ABS. Not sure about scorpio (but guess its high end model 'should' also offer them)

Quote:
What does NHC translate (missed that)?
"New Honda City". Well now actually NHC ZX!! which is NHC version2.

Quote:
Does LPG translate to higher fuel economy (I know about the pollution benefit)?
ABSOLUTELY. Huge savings. But then LPG WagonRs dont come in auto transmission.
Old 10th February 2007, 10:21   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ess_a View Post
With the kind of running you have mentioned and the life of 3yrs, no need to look for diesel. Petrol will be just fine.
Innova offers both airbags and ABS. Not sure about scorpio (but guess its high end model 'should' also offer them)
Unfortunately the Scorpio does not have ABS or Airbags.

The Innova does great as a family vehicle ..especially if youa re going to have 5+ folks occassionally. the only problem I had was with Parking it :(

If you are used to the US Midsize , then do check out the solidity of build of the NHC. somehow it feels very very light and a bit..if I may say so, flimsy in comparison. but again since your average speed in Bangalore is even less than that in San Francisco and in about the same league as a crowded New York Road, you may actually discount on that a bit.

In case you are not already ovewhelmed with choices and in case the Innova seems bigger than you need, then do try out the Verna CRDi. it comes with ABS and has more power and fuel economy than any of the others mentioned. Also reminds me of the Mitsubishi Gallant in terms of solidity and size, that I used to drive around a lot the US some years ago.

Else the Innova is really a great car and if you have a driver it provides far better comfort/shape and options in case you have a driver. (I chose the Scorpio but then my requirements were very different..)
Old 10th February 2007, 10:33   #19
Team-BHP Support

the innova is safer than the scorpio. i dont think the scorpio has abs or airbags. some auto journos from overdrive crashed into a circle at about 120kmph in an innova and walked out unhurt though the same cannot be said about the innova.

one reason to buy the diesel is that you get the option of having bucket seats in the 2nd row which is not avaliable in the petrol.
Old 10th February 2007, 10:46   #20
Senior - BHPian

The only AT option you have in the hatchback segment is the Santro AT. The Wagon R at the moment is not offered in AT in either variant (LPG or petrol). As sajo mentioned in another thread with pics, the Duo might be launched in AT soon. Last I checked with MUL at the dealership, there is no AT Maruti model at the moment. All have been discontinued i.e Esteem, Zen and Wagon R

As for the bigger car you cant go wrong with the Innova. The petrol is a great option but resale might be an issue down the line
Old 10th February 2007, 11:10   #21
Senior - BHPian

I think you should stick with the Diesel innova instead of going in for a petrol one,simply because three years down the line you will find lots of takers for your diesel innova but not so with the petrol model.
Toyota dealers are no longer displaying onroad prices on their respective websites and you would have to check with your local dealer with regards to the pricing.

With regards to your small car choice,The CITY CVT,is the best choice,it is the most driver friendly car amongst the cars you shortlisted.I have generally heard of dissatisfied owners in the small car segment with automatic gearboxes[reason could be older technology],the modern cvt owners though seem to be quite satisfied with their cars.

PLease PM our moderator samurai who could be of help to you with regards to santro automatic variant ownership experience.

PS: And since you are used to the toyota prius, the innova looks should not bother you.

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 10th February 2007 at 11:16.
Old 10th February 2007, 11:15   #22
Senior - BHPian

The Santro AT is the perfect city car - and I havent heard of any problems with the autobox yet. And Hyundai's A.S.S is simply super here. I would go for the Innova D and the Santro AT , eyes closed.
Old 10th February 2007, 11:21   #23
Senior - BHPian

Yeah i agree with most of people here, Innova and Santro AT is the way to go. If you can wait a bit, wagonR is also coming in AT(according to spy pics taken by ajo).. Maybe that will be a better technology AT like CVT or something like that and definitly 4 speed.. but for that we will have to wait and see

Last edited by DCEite : 10th February 2007 at 11:23.
Old 10th February 2007, 11:22   #24
Senior - BHPian

And have a look at this thread too,
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...ing-india.html
Old 10th February 2007, 11:31   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dceite View Post
Yeah i agree with most of people here, Innova and Santro AT is the way to go. If you can wait a bit, wagonR is also coming in AT(according to spy pics taken by ajo).. Maybe that will be a better technology AT like CVT or something like that and definitly 4 speed.. but for that we will have to wait and see

Maruti may come out with a new box for the Wagon R AT but if the guys at Maruti service stations panic as they usually do on seeing an autobox , youre left high and dry to look out for an AT mechanic
Old 10th February 2007, 11:41   #26
BHPian

Surprised that no one is recommending the FIAT Adventure. It is time someone mentioned it :-) Let me.

@UY: Adventure is not an automatic, and can carry only 5 people. It is what you call the disruptive suggestion for a car. Does not really fit your bill, but you cannot ignore it if you dig deep. I am posting this because you mentioned OUTBACK in your first post. (So guys, this is not a flame bait)

In terms of looks or features, FIAT Adventure is the closest you can get to Outback (considering Forester is not available anymore). It has all independant suspension, higher ground clearance than Innova or Scorpio but handles like a luxury sedan and costs about half of an Innova. It comes with a 1.6L 100bhp petrol engine, but has no 4x4 option.

All said, this *is* the best value for money car on feature to feature available in India. Period.

(Sorry if I added confusion. And yes, I walk the talk)
Old 10th February 2007, 11:58   #27
Senior - BHPian

Just like everyone said, Innova is the way to go for the large car. I would recommend diesel over petrol because Petrol Innovas don't hold their resale value and Toyota diesel is quite refined anyways.

Regarding the small car, you practically have two choices Santro AT & NHC CVT. My recommendation would be NHC CVT simply because the quality of interiors, fit & finish and build quality is way above Santro and it isn't that big.
Old 10th February 2007, 12:05   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Simple : A diesel Innova V for your people moving needs and a Santro automatic for your wife. Or the new Estilo/WagonR auto if its out by the time you get here.
Here's another vote.
Old 10th February 2007, 23:34   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by determinus View Post
Could you provide some more info here? Is that just about the Auto box or something more?

Well they were not at all satisfied with the auto ... may be b'cos they were comparing with their experiences abroad. It is still a definite *not* recommended one in our group for folks relocating and looking for Auto.

I think it's more to do with Auto gearbox and experience, am not sure what makes them feel so.
Old 12th February 2007, 00:55   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

An Innova V with Airbags and ABS for the large car.
Pros -
Good resale for Diesel
Safe
Good build Quality
Good Fuel Efficiency
Amazing Ride and Handling

Cons
Bad resale for the Petrol

As for the small car - New Honda City ZX CVT
Pros
Small on the outside, huge on the inside
easy to drive