Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2019, 10:51   #1
BHPian

Buying a used Mitsubishi Pajero SFX

Hello Everyone.

How sane of a decision would it be to buy a used Pajero SFX?

Have come across a 2008 model with 54000kms on the odo for sale at a dealer.

I don't plan on using this vehicle for specifically offroading, but driving to offbeat places, bad roads that i will encounter, occasional camping, long distance travel.

Would request your inputs on few queries that i have.

When inspecting the vehicle what do i have to look out for?

How is the spares availability and after sales service of the vehicle in mumbai?

What would be the yearly running costs of scheduled service and other nitty gritties that occur?

Considering everything checks out this will replace the Elantra and will be the primary vehicle.

Anything else you think is necessary please add.

Regards,
Kashif
iron is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 11:11   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Buying a used Mitsubishi Pajero SFX

I can not comment on other aspects but I can say with certainty that the odometer is tampered with.

Please hunt for Tejas's Pajero thread, that should be your guide. For your purposes, the Pajero will suit you. You only need to sort the service and spares aspect.
Sheel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 11:21   #3
Senior - BHPian

IF you are not using the vehicle strictly for offroading purposes, why not look at the Montero? It is far more comfortable and rides and handles better too.
IshaanIan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 13:29   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I can not comment on other aspects but I can say with certainty that the odometer is tampered with

Please hunt for Tejas's Pajero thread, that should be your guide. For your purposes, the Pajero will suit you. You only need to sort the service and spares aspect.
Hi Sheel
Is there any way to find out if the odo has been tampered with ?

Will the ASC help out or any FNG dealing with Pajero’s be able ascertain the kms done based on service records?

I am indeed going through Tejas’ thread bit by bit as that’s the most updated one.
Have also gone through the threads posted by sawyer, vijay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
IF you are not using the vehicle strictly for offroading purposes, why not look at the Montero? It is far more comfortable and rides and handles better too.
Hi Ishaan
Ok will look into it.
Old 20th August 2019, 14:11   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron View Post
Hi Sheel
Is there any way to find out if the odo has been tampered with ?

Will the ASC help out or any FNG dealing with Pajero’s be able ascertain the kms done based on service records?
For 10 years now, we've been relying on a FNG mechanic to evaluate our used cars in the family. All our guy needs to do is to inspect the engine bay's innards thoroughly and then to take one look at the odometer. I'd say that he can identify odo tampering in 60% of the cases just based on visual cues. His test drive takes things another 30% further. As for the remaining 10% of uncertainty, it ought to be a minor margin (perhaps 20k Km at the most) which cannot be detected by such means. We place our full confidence in his judgment when evaluating used cars and it has worked out well so far.
locusjag is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 16:58   #6
Senior - BHPian

Having bought a 2011 Pajero SFX about 2 yrs back, here are my 2 cents...

Quote:
How sane of a decision would it be to buy a used Pajero SFX?
Totally insane but worth every penny

Quote:
Have come across a 2008 model with 54000kms on the odo for sale at a dealer.
I would be really surprised if the odo is not tampered with! You'd better assume that the vehicle has done at least double that distance, if not triple, in 11 yrs.

Quote:
I don't plan on using this vehicle for specifically offroading, but driving to offbeat places, bad roads that i will encounter, occasional camping, long distance travel.
Perfect vehicle for the requirements you have listed down, although a well-maintained Fortuner would also be a worthy contender, especially if you wish to do cross-country runs. Pajero SFX is not the best of highway cruisers, given the archaic engine, which is a locomotive when it comes to low-end torque but runs out of steam at higher RPMs/speeds. Having said that, I have done 3000+ km drives in the SFX - if you are not a highway scorcher and tend to cruise in the 90-100 kmph range, then the SFX will not disappoint you.

Quote:
When inspecting the vehicle what do i have to look out for?
  • Suspension
  • Timing belts
  • Electricals
  • Clutch - might warrant a replacement unless not already done
  • Chassis inspection, to rule out an accident-involved vehicle
  • Service records, if available
That's about it. The Pajero is built to take abuse and will continue to run come what may!

Quote:
How is the spares availability and after sales service of the vehicle in mumbai?
Tejas should be able to comment specifically about Mumbai. After having been fleeced by the ASC here in Bangalore, both on parts and labor, I am getting my Pajero maintained by a FNG who also procures original spares for me from Delhi.

Quote:
What would be the yearly running costs of scheduled service and other nitty gritties that occur?
My suggestion is to budget for 1.5-2.0 lac towards getting the car in shape and up to your satisfaction levels. In all probability, there would be a few things you'd need to replace in a 11 yr old car, unless the previous owner(s) have already done so. Once the car is "stable", all you'd need to spend would be towards yearly oil changes and if you stick to good old mineral oil, you'd be done in less than 5K per year.

Feel free to bug me with more queries if you have any! All the best

Last edited by Jaggu : 21st August 2019 at 19:08. Reason: Reported post, please limit to 2 smilies :)
cool_dube is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 21st August 2019, 08:12   #7
BHPian

Re: Buying a used Mitsubishi Pajero SFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
For 10 years now, we've been relying on a FNG mechanic to evaluate our used cars in the family. All our guy needs to do is .................................................. ............ch means. We place our full confidence in his judgment when evaluating used cars and it has worked out well so far.
Thanks for the input, Will try using this method but not sure how well would i be able to assess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Having bought a 2011 Pajero SFX about 2 yrs back, here are my 2 cents...

Totally insane but worth every penny
Thanks

Quote:
I would be really surprised if the odo is not tampered with! You'd better assume that the vehicle has done at least double that distance, if not triple, in 11 yrs.
Have been reading through many forums about the pajero and everywhere i have read people throw in a word of caution of odo being tampered with.
I am really hoping / praying that its not the case with this one.

Quote:
Perfect vehicle for the requirements you have listed down, although a well-maintained Fortuner would also be a worthy contender, especially if you wish to do cross-country runs. Pajero SFX is not the best of highway cruisers, given the archaic engine, which is a locomotive when it comes to low-end torque but runs out of steam at higher RPMs/speeds. Having said that, I have done 3000+ km drives in the SFX - if you are not a highway scorcher and tend to cruise in the 90-100 kmph range, then the SFX will not disappoint you.
I am fine with crusing speeds of 90-100kmph.
Mostly all my long distance trips are leisure trips where reaching the destination in the fastest way possible is not at all the priority.
Its only me and my father who drive in the family, that too father drives very rarely.

Compared to today's standard the engine technology is indeed archaic but if its survived for so long and still running there must be something right that Mitsubishi must have been done right. As long as its happily munching miles being trouble free and light on the pocket I will not complain.

My Concern is the availability of spares and technical expertise required to work on the car in case anything does falter.

Quote:
  • Suspension
  • Timing belts
  • Electricals
  • Clutch - might warrant a replacement unless not already done
  • Chassis inspection, to rule out an accident-involved vehicle
  • Service records, if available
That's about it. The Pajero is built to take abuse and will continue to run come what may!
A checklist is exactly what I needed, Thanks for giving it a start.
Other can keep adding to it.
What about the 4WD system, should I include that as well?

Quote:
Tejas should be able to comment specifically about Mumbai. After having been fleeced by the ASC here in Bangalore, both on parts and labor, I am getting my Pajero maintained by a FNG who also procures original spares for me from Delhi.
I have PM'ed Tejas as he is the go to guy for the Pajero and quite rightly so , after seeing his thread.
Awaiting his revert.

Quote:
My suggestion is to budget for 1.5-2.0 lac towards getting the car in shape and up to your satisfaction levels. In all probability, there would be a few things you'd need to replace in a 11 yr old car, unless the previous owner(s) have already done so. Once the car is "stable", all you'd need to spend would be towards yearly oil changes and if you stick to good old mineral oil, you'd be done in less than 5K per year
This amount of 1.5l-2l that you have mentioned is it on the basis that if the vehicle odo is tampered, and the car has not been cared for properly in its 11 years of existence??

Quote:
Feel free to bug me with more queries if you have any! All the best
Thanks! Will definitely bug u.
Your inputs are actually worth more than 2 cents!

On an optimstic note considering everything checks out positively what would be an appropriate asking price for a 2008 Pajero SFX that has done genuine 54000kms.??

Last edited by benbsb29 : 28th August 2019 at 07:04. Reason: Removed use of replies in bold with quote tags.
Old 21st August 2019, 12:13   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My Replies in bold
My responses inline

Quote:
Have been reading through many forums about the pajero and everywhere i have read people throw in a word of caution of odo being tampered with. I am really hoping / praying that its not the case with this one.
Do not worry too much about it. Even if it has been tampered with, as long as the vehicle is running fine, should be okay. The odo unit in mine was kaput when I bought it. However, I liked the car so much that I just replaced it with a new one and moved on. Ah, the joy of driving a Pajero SFX with an odo reading of 000000

Quote:
I am fine with cruising speeds of 90-100kmph. Mostly all my long distance trips are leisure trips where reaching the destination in the fastest way possible is not at all the priority.
Then the Pajero will not give you a reason to complain

Quote:
Compared to today's standard the engine technology is indeed archaic but if its survived for so long and still running there must be something right that Mitsubishi must have been done right. As long as its happily munching miles being trouble free and light on the pocket I will not complain.
You hit the nail right on the head. The engine, while archaic, is a tried and tested unit, which can easily last you 3-4 lac kms with basic maintenance of regular oil changes. With a good clutch, you will be amazed to see its performance in the hills. After driving modern CRDi engines, where you need to be in the "power band" to get some tangible output from the engine, this one is a revelation.

Quote:
My Concern is the availability of spares and technical expertise required to work on the car in case anything does falter.
The Pajero is a very easy vehicle to maintain, given minimal electronics, unlike today's cars. From what I have understood reading Tejas' thread, there are some competent Mitsubishi ASCs in the Mumbai/Pune area, you should be good on that front. Coming to spares, online vendors like boodmo, amayama, and megazip are quite reliable, albeit the wait time is tad high

Quote:
What about the 4WD system, should I include that as well?
It is a bulletproof unit, just like the engine and gearbox. Note that I have not listed these on my checklist either. Nevertheless, get it checked as well. A common issue with the SSII (Super Select II, the 4WD system in SFX) is "blinking green lights" while switching from 2H to 4H. Can be easily fixed by basic troubleshooting, and worst case, replacing the vacuum solenoid valves that operate the same. Other than that, any issues with the 4WD system of the Pajero are very very rare!

Quote:
This amount of 1.5l-2l that you have mentioned is it on the basis that if the vehicle odo is tampered, and the car has not been cared for properly in its 11 years of existence??
At the end of the day, a 11-yr old car is a 11-yr old car and age related issues are bound to crop up. Unless the previous owner has taken care of basic aging stuff, you will need to replace things like steering/suspension parts (upper & lower ball joints, tie-rod ends, bushes), drive belts, brake pads/discs, clutch assembly, engine/GB mounts, etc. You will get a better idea once a knowledgeable mech inspects the car. The expenses could be lesser but I am giving a worst-case scenario so that you can plan accordingly. It also varies from person to person - there are folks who would choose to NOT invest much on a pre-owned car and let components function till they fail but if you are one of those who prefer preventive maintenance, then the budget will go up. A key item here would be the tyres, unless replaced recently - if you go with a good A/T like Yokohama or Michelin, a set of 5 will cost you around 45-50K.

Quote:
Your inputs are actually worth more than 2 cents!
Pleasure is mine. Glad to be of help

Quote:
On an optimistic note considering everything checks out positively what would be an appropriate asking price for a 2008 Pajero SFX that has done genuine 54000kms.??
Very hard to estimate without physical assessment of the car. Not sure about Mumbai prices but a ballpark for Bangalore would be in the range of Rs. 7-7.5 lac. Note that this should come down as the amount of work required in the car increases.

Last edited by Jaggu : 21st August 2019 at 19:10. Reason: Reported post, excessive smilies. Please stick to 2 smilies per post. Thanks.
cool_dube is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st August 2019, 12:45   #9
BHPian

One question:
What is the typical FE pajero gives? How is it compared to fortuner?
Owners tell me it is a dismal 5-6 in town and max 10 kpl on highway
Does FE also get down with age?
Old 21st August 2019, 15:40   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramvicky1984 View Post
One question:
The FE will certainly reduce but a little care and maintenance should gradually bring it back to better levels.

ps - have you considered a Scorpio for your needs? About the same size and form factor as the Pajero, and more up to date.
Old 21st August 2019, 16:17   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
My responses inline
======
Very hard to estimate without physical assessment of the car. Not sure about Mumbai prices but a ballpark for Bangalore would be in the range of Rs. 7-7.5 lac. Note that this should come down as the amount of work required in the car increases.

Your post clears a lot of things for me. It’s quite reassuring.
I searched for the ASC on google, it’s located not far from my place and has good reviews/ ratings as well posted on google.

What’s the difference between a 2007 Pajero GLX and 2008 Pajero SFX?
From the forums I have come to understand there was face lift that happened in 2008??
Came across brochure copy and spec sheet of the SFX posted in 2011 on the forum itself (Thank you Stratos) does this apply to the 2008 SFX? but couldn’t find anything on the GLX.

The reason I ask for details on a GLX is because I have come across one for sale.

Last edited by Jaggu : 21st August 2019 at 16:19. Reason: Please avoid Quoting entire large post for reply. Affects readability, especially on mobile browsers. Thanks.
Old 21st August 2019, 17:30   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
ps - have you considered a Scorpio for your needs? About the same size and form factor as the Pajero, and more up to date.
I've heard other members opine that the Scorpio in its 4x4 avatar isn't as capable as some of its competitors in the offroading department. Of course, the OP hasn't sought a pure offroad use vehicle...but I just thought I could perhaps get your take on the topic.
Old 21st August 2019, 17:40   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Your post clears a lot of things for me. It’s quite reassuring.
I searched for the ASC on google, it’s located not far from my place and has good reviews/ ratings as well posted on google.

What’s the difference between a 2007 Pajero GLX and 2008 Pajero SFX?
From the forums I have come to understand there was face lift that happened in 2008??
Came across brochure copy and spec sheet of the SFX posted in 2011 on the forum itself (Thank you Stratos) does this apply to the 2008 SFX? but couldn’t find anything on the GLX.

The reason I ask for details on a GLX is because I have come across one for sale.
SFX if I remember correctly had wider flares, airbags (not sure of this)
Only major update was BSIV around 2012 which actually reduced the power output.
To me what really makes the Pajero exceptional is the sense of control one gets from the seating position, view
due to the low bonnet and great visibility all around;unmatched by fortuner etal.
Of course the timeless design is a big plus.

Concerns are low FE & spurious spares and if matters: lack of high speed driving (which may be a blessing in disguise, tall vehicles should anyways not be driven fast)
Still looking for FE numbers from actual owners
vikramvicky1984 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2019, 17:52   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramvicky1984 View Post
One question:
I know two owners who have/had a Pajero for ~1.5L kms each. The FE was a consistent 8kmpl, no matter you drive in congested city or cruise on the highway. The worst was 7 and the best was 9.xx, all figures with AC. Fortuner should give 1-2 kmpl higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
The FE will certainly reduce but a little care and maintenance should gradually bring it back to better levels.

Having personally driven a Pajero and Scorpio, for 300+ kms each on the same stretch of road and on consecutive days, I can say that Pajero is miles ahead in comfort and handling. Scorpio has a better performing engine.

Last edited by ashis89 : 21st August 2019 at 17:56.
ashis89 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st August 2019, 18:17   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, if you are looking to replace your primary car with the Pajero - Dont.

• Parts availability, though easy is not over the counter like needed for a primary car.
  • FE is bad considering a primary car. Expect 6-8 in City and 7-9 in highways.
  • The worst and probably the best part is the engine. If you've driven a Mahindra Tractor derived Di engine you'll get an idea. Meaning. It has good low-end torque, much better than newer CRDe engines, but that's all about it. You have to drive it in a highway to see how bad it is. I for one, am not a fan of 100+ speeds but I'd like to get to 80 or 100 pretty fast and stay there. The stock Pajero is a slouch and will take ages to reach 100.
  • Storage space and interior practicality is bad.
  • All Pajeros now available would be atleast 6 years old. The one you are looking at is 11 years old. Ideally, you should never want a 11-year-old premium car as a primary car.
  • Not all workshops repair the Pajero, make sure you have one nearby or else they'll mess with your car and pocket.

That said, Am I happy with my Pajero? Hell YES!

With the current prices, the vehicle is an absolute value for money. You can get a good one for the Price of a used Thar. The Pajero is probably the best in:
  • Road Handling. Slot it into 4H and you can eat up the ghats with a 3-ton mammoth. Will leave peoples jaw hanging.
  • Comfort, especially Middle seat.
  • Superb offroad capability. With a good bumper design, it can do probably everything a Thar can.
  • Again, extremely comfortable and agile while offroading.
  • Very reliable vehicle.
  • Absolutely awesome seating position all around. Great visibility and ergnomics. Not truck-like, but definitely not car-like. Can command the road as a king.
  • Great low end. Along with great visibility, makes it driving in town so much fun.
  • Scope for unlimited modifications. All major offroad parts suppliers have bolt-on suspension, camping and mechanical mods.

Well now - The choice is yours.

Here's mine:

Buying a used Mitsubishi Pajero SFX-img_5097.jpg

Last edited by dhanushs : 21st August 2019 at 18:21.
dhanushs is offline   (16) Thanks

Most Viewed