Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2019, 19:28   #1
BHPian

Should I buy the outgoing Mercedes GLE-Class?

Is it a good time to buy the 2018 3rd Gen GLE which is almost end of life now ? MB is giving discounts in the range of 10 to 11 lacs. For this price, does it make sense to go in for end of life model? MB also has an assured buyback based on usage (Star Agility program). They are willing to buy back the car at 28 lacs at the end of 3 years.

From a cash outflow perspective, if I calculate my usage just for 3 years with 20k kms running every year, the way the Agility program is structured, I will end up paying 53 lacs. (Upfront down payment of 35 lacs and the balance as EMI's of 50k over 3 years). 2 years comprehensive B2B insurance is taken care of by the dealer. At the end of 3 years, if I want to retain the car, I need to pay 28 lacs. Alternatively I just close the deal. So its almost like a lease. Unfortunately the way this financial product is structured, they do not have an interest rate quoted.

From a usage perspective, this car fits my bill. Any inputs would be greatly appreciated. The key question is whether it makes wise sense to buy the GLE now at a huge discount, considering the new version launch is a few months away. I am looking at this buy only if its Value for money and obviously not willing to pay a premium at this stage for the new features in the new car.
vinay_ss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2019, 21:00   #2
BHPian

re: Should I buy the outgoing Mercedes GLE-Class?

I understand that discounts are lucrative but why would you buy a relatively inferior product? The new GLE is leaps and bounds better than the outgoing model. Everything is much better- the suspension, powertrain, body stiffness, technology, interior design etc.

And it's not as if you're getting the AMG, so there'll be nothing exciting about the car once the new vehicle charm wears off.
What exactly is your use case?
raystriker is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th September 2019, 08:05   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Should I buy the outgoing Mercedes GLE-Class?

Older generations only make sense if you're buying used. But when getting a new car home, it should be a "new model" too. I'm with raystriker on this. Please avoid the current generation which is now way too old. Wait for the all-new car whose launch is around the corner and will be superior in every way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinay_ss View Post
MB also has an assured buyback based on usage (Star Agility program). They are willing to buy back the car at 28 lacs at the end of 3 years.
Buybacks make sense only if you have money > time. Selling the car yourself will get you more $$$ in 9 / 10 cases.

Also, please don't think of buying a new luxury car and selling it within 3 years. These are depreciation disasters. You might as well go out and burn your cash - related thread (ARTICLE: YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?).
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th September 2019, 23:19   #4
BHPian

Changing gears from a GLE , what if I introduce an option of a used X5 2018 less than 10k run, for 60 Lacs Vs a new q5 technology pack at 66 Lacs? That's in the current discussion now.

For context, I drive a A6 (2018) and love the car and Kodiaq is our second car. I still have this unending yearning to shift to a SUV with a mental preparation of losing about 12 to 15 Lacs on the A6. Of course, anything more than this, I would not want to move away from the A6
Old 8th September 2019, 05:59   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Changing gears from a GLE , what if I introduce an option of a used X5 2018 less than 10k run, for 60 Lacs Vs a new q5 technology pack at 66 Lacs? That's in the current discussion now.

For context, I drive a A6 (2018) and love the car and Kodiaq is our second car. I still have this unending yearning to shift to a SUV with a mental preparation of losing about 12 to 15 Lacs on the A6. Of course, anything more than this, I would not want to move away from the A6
Is the 2018 X5 model F15 or G05? I'm not sure what it is for India. Assuming it is the G05, I'd choose the BMW over the Q5. Why? Well, a new Q5 is due soon. Prototypes have already been seen testing in Germany, I think.

I'd be wary about buy any of the last gen models (this also applies for the 2018 bmw x5 that you are considering if it is an F15), even if the car is barely used, simply because the jump from last gen to the current/upcoming gen has been so great.

Think about how tech has progressed from 2013/2014 to 2019/2020. Last gen models were the first generation that were tech-heavy, with manufacturers still trying to figure out how to integrate and marry tech with the car.

Performance cars are all about the performance but something like an SUV has to be very livable and feature rich. It makes sense to pay 20% more for a next gen product, in my opinion.
Old 8th September 2019, 09:03   #6
BHPian

I'm not sure of the F15 Vs G05. I would think it's the F15.

The newest X5 2019 with all the wizardry is costing almost 1 car. They have option to buy demo cars every other month after they have run about 5k Kms for about 10 Lacs of discount. But even then, the luxury line X5 works out to 90 Lacs. The sports will be 80. As against this, the outgoing 2018 used trim of luxury line is being quoted on the phone at 65 Lacs with willingness to negotiate.

I see your point when you say next generation with new technology makes it more liveable, but I find it hard to convince myself to spend 90 Lacs on a car :( at this stage.
The other big aspect I love about the X5 ( even the outgoing model) is the space it offers inside, after being used to driving cars like pajero, A6 and Kodiaq. But i have read about older X5s being noisier and less refined than the Audi's.

I am off to check the cars today.
Old 8th September 2019, 18:44   #7
BHPian

Quote:
I'm not sure of the F15 Vs G05. I would think it's the F15.

The newest X5 2019 with all the wizardry is costing almost 1 car. They have option to buy demo cars every other month after they have run about 5k Kms for about 10 Lacs of discount. But even then, the luxury line X5 works out to 90 Lacs. The sports will be 80. As against this, the outgoing 2018 used trim of luxury line is being quoted on the phone at 65 Lacs with willingness to negotiate.

I see your point when you say next generation with new technology makes it more liveable, but I find it hard to convince myself to spend 90 Lacs on a car :( at this stage.
The other big aspect I love about the X5 ( even the outgoing model) is the space it offers inside, after being used to driving cars like pajero, A6 and Kodiaq. But i have read about older X5s being noisier and less refined than the Audi's.

I am off to check the cars today.
Any update? Did the X5 impress you? Did you also check out the GLE and Q5? What are you leaning towards?
Old 9th September 2019, 21:50   #8
BHPian

The new GLE is more futuristic then the present and looks also is best. There are many features you will like than the outgoing model. As of now you will get encouraged to buy GLE with the discounts. But after somedays you will start feeling that you could have waited for it. One more thing is the present model is 99lacs for progressive and the next model will be 10lacs more than the present model as per the dealer. So if you have budget around 90 lacs for present car, then spend another 10 more and go for latest model itself.
kdeepakk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2019, 08:26   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raystriker View Post
Any update? Did the X5 impress you? Did you also check out the GLE and Q5? What are you leaning towards?
Didn't get to test drive the new X5 since it wasn't available. However test drove the used 2018 X5 which is on offer at 62 Lacs with 7k Kms on the odo. Felt the engine noise filtering through the cabin and didn't feel as refined as an Audi. I did see the new X5 in the showroom and when seen together, the 2018 X5 surely feels dated.

Dealer is also offering a top spec 2019 X5 used by them as a demo car, used for not more than 1.5 months at a discount of 7 to 8 Lacs. This sounds appealing again. It of course comes with full warranty etc and can be registered as a new car.

I have of course seen GTO's views about demo cars, but will it really be as bad in 2 months and about 4k Kms ? I should be getting the test drive of the X5 sometime this week.
Old 10th September 2019, 09:07   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

You will need to introspect on your need to save money (a very legitimate need) versus how important is it for you to have the latest (for yourself; to impress the neighbours) versus how urgent is your need to replace and what is the hold out time you have versus how critical are the features the 2018 GLE offers over your current ride that you and your family simply need. Those questions only your inner assessment can answer. If the need is urgent, and the savings are critical and you don't care too much (like me) for the latest then there is nothing wrong with the current GLE.
Old 10th September 2019, 09:12   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Didn't get to test drive the new X5 since it wasn't available. However test drove the used 2018 X5 which is on offer at 62 Lacs with 7k Kms on the odo. Felt the engine noise filtering through the cabin and didn't feel as refined as an Audi. I did see the new X5 in the showroom and when seen together, the 2018 X5 surely feels dated.

Dealer is also offering a top spec 2019 X5 used by them as a demo car, used for not more than 1.5 months at a discount of 7 to 8 Lacs. This sounds appealing again. It of course comes with full warranty etc and can be registered as a new car.

I have of course seen GTO's views about demo cars, but will it really be as bad in 2 months and about 4k Kms ? I should be getting the test drive of the X5 sometime this week.
I wouldn't get a dealer/press car. They might not have many miles but they're very rough miles. If you can get extended warranty, I'd consider it. Extended warranty would also be good since it's a first year model of a new generation. There ought to be niggles here and there. So yeah, get the warranty.
Old 10th September 2019, 11:00   #12
Senior - BHPian

Have you tried the Wishbox offerings on the Mercedes?
They have options like Key to Key where you get the new car in 18 months without any increment in EMI.

Also they have this option to pay the net price without any Interest in annual installments of 25% for 4 years. They also have a wishbox option to pay in 60 monthly installments without any interest.

Ofcourse the finer print needs to be read but on the face of it, looks like some good deals.

Last edited by navpreet318 : 10th September 2019 at 11:00. Reason: spacing. again!!
Old 10th September 2019, 11:34   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

If I were you, I would go for the current GLE. Agree it is long in tooth, and somewhat dated. But I suspect you will get at least ₹10-15 lakhs off - in short you should get the GLE for barely a bit more than the sticker price of a GLC. The new version would cost about 20% more, which is a lot of money in my view. Revealed preference - did just that when I bought my X3 in January 2017- barely a year before the new model made its debut. Of course, I would have been better off waiting a bit as the GST rates were initially less than expected, and people who bought just after GST came in got a better deal. But that is 20-20 hindsight. Go for it.

I would however agree with GTO - three year leases on expensive cars don’t make sense. Would buy to keep it for at least 4-5 years (even at a relatively high usage level like yours)

Last edited by Hayek : 10th September 2019 at 11:36.
Old 10th September 2019, 12:15   #14
BHPian

Push hard for higher discount on GLE (350d) rather than settling for 10-11L. If dealer is willing to offer further 5-6L off bringing the OTR price down by a good 16-18L, then go for it along with the buyback offer. I am sure they will come down on price if they have enough stock to get rid off.

That being said, the new GLE is too good in terms of interiors quality and gadgets. Do check out the new GLE pics on internet before taking the final call. In comparison, the current GLE interiors feel too dated.

I agree with GTO, that if you want to buy an old gen GLE, then better go for a used one.

Also, do check out Merc's key to key offer on GLE. They have something like upgrading to new GLE after two years at no cost.

Old gen X5 makes no sense. Better wait for a couple of years and go for G05 X5 which will have some discount then.
Old 10th September 2019, 12:26   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

I'd say give it some time.
If you can wait for a year or so, there will be some stellar discounts on the new X5 (both new & pre-owned options with low mileage).
Reason : Slow market + entry of the new GLE + BMW's typical discounts

Also, what about the Q7? Heard there were some amazing deals on those at the moment. A little old, but a lot more fresher than the current GLE, which in my opinion has really begun to feel dated.

Lastly, the A6 is a depreciation disaster, so I wouldn't recommend selling it off so quickly; and an SUV will not be as comfortable as the A6 either unless the roads are really bad because of body roll and sway.

Most Viewed