Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2021, 16:04   #181
BHPian
 
akash_v12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Pune | Mumbai
Posts: 889
Thanked: 2,303 Times
Default Re: The mid-size SUV dilemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilrs View Post
I am in a similar place, I want to upgrade from my 6-year-old Honda City to an SUV but I am very confused with the options. Harrier is definitely on the list.
Since you haven't mentioned your budget, I'm going to assume it's around 25L-30L. New Vehicle options include the Compass which recently underwent a facelift and has great interiors (at least seemingly). The Harrier/Safari would also be a great option for you. Used options include 2-3-year-old BMW X1s & MB GLA's. However, since you're City is doing completely fine, I'd recommend waiting for the launches this year. Audi will hopefully bring in the all-new Q3 and even the new GLA should make its way this year/
akash_v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2021, 10:46   #182
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,351
Thanked: 3,562 Times
Default Re: The mid-size SUV dilemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_v12 View Post
Since you haven't mentioned your budget, I'm going to assume it's around 25L-30L. New Vehicle options include the Compass which recently underwent a facelift and has great interiors (at least seemingly). The Harrier/Safari would also be a great option for you. Used options include 2-3-year-old BMW X1s & MB GLA's. However, since you're City is doing completely fine, I'd recommend waiting for the launches this year. Audi will hopefully bring in the all-new Q3 and even the new GLA should make its way this year/
The new Q3/GLA would be way out of budget, and used Q3/GLA would not provide much other than a little bit of snob value. Not to mention they would not have any significantly better features or performance than other new cars in this range. On the other hand, something like the Tucson, or the Harrier/Safari would be more pocket friendly, spacious, and a bit more abuse friendly than the Germans. The Compass '21 is also a great buy if you are willing to look beyond the perception of size/price ratio-something it has suffered from since it's launch.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 22:06   #183
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 51
Thanked: 36 Times
Default Re: Crossover/SUV for 25 Lakhs: Seltos/Tucson/Compass?

Tucson all the way, space, powerful yet frugal engine, smooth 8 Speed automatic, all the bells and whistles, good safety, nice suspension. What more is needed...
monish_m is offline  
Old 9th April 2021, 14:09   #184
BHPian
 
superutp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 481
Thanked: 221 Times
Default Re: Crossover/SUV for 25 Lakhs: Seltos/Tucson/Compass?

What performance Crossover/SUV?
I was thinking of upgrading from my Cruze AT to a Crossover/SUV with certain priorities:
1) Performance is King- needs to be faster than the Cruze
2) Price ceiling <30 lakhs Ex-S (30 itself is a stretch)
3) 4X4/AWD preferable
4) Diesel/Petrol doesnt matter (FE doesnt matter)
5) Everything else
Plan to keep it for 5 years atleast

The only options which come to my mind are:
1) 2021 VW tiguan 5 seater (probably fits all criteria but price still unknown)
2) Hyundai Tucson (perfect pricing, performance on par with the Cruze I suppose but essentially a generation old)
3) Citroen C5 aircross (perhaps a bit too expensive, performance not faster than the Cruze and not AWD)
4) Jeep Compass (fits the bill except for being too slow)
5) VW Troc- cheaper and possibly a decent option but the DQ200 doesn't inspire confidence to me
6) VW Taigun/Skoda Kushaq 1.5s- Cheaper options but once again same issue as the T-Roc
7) pre-worshipped BMW X1 xdrive20d, Audi Q3 35TDI and Merc GLA220d. Not too keen on these as 2-3 year old good ones would be >30lakhs I assume in Mumbai

Have I missed out anything else? Any suggestions?

Last edited by superutp : 9th April 2021 at 14:22.
superutp is offline  
Old 10th April 2021, 21:20   #185
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 51
Thanked: 36 Times
Default Re: Crossover/SUV for 25 Lakhs: Seltos/Tucson/Compass?

Do test drive a Tucson for a good part and be prepared to be surprised.
monish_m is offline  
Old 10th April 2021, 23:19   #186
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NOIDA
Posts: 748
Thanked: 121 Times
Default Re: Crossover/SUV for 25 Lakhs: Seltos/Tucson/Compass?

Though there is no official word from FORD INDIA, but going by media reports, it seems Ford may bring TERRITORY to India soon. Looks leagues ahead of Compass and Tucson. The dimensions are closer to Harrier and engine is supposed to be 1.5 L ecoboost.

Source: https://gaadiwaadi.com/5-things-to-k...ord-territory/

Going by currency conversion of pricing in Philippines Piso, the TITANIUM model should be around INR 19 -20 lacs exshowroom.

So, in case you are willing to wait, TERRITORY looks promising and worth the wait!

Last edited by breezydrive : 10th April 2021 at 23:21. Reason: Link attached
breezydrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2021, 08:25   #187
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 51
Thanked: 36 Times
Default Re: Crossover/SUV for 25 Lakhs: Seltos/Tucson/Compass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
What performance Crossover/SUV?
I was thinking of upgrading from my Cruze AT to a Crossover/SUV with certain priorities:
1) Performance is King- needs to be faster than the Cruze
2) Price ceiling <30 lakhs Ex-S (30 itself is a stretch)
3) 4X4/AWD preferable
4) Diesel/Petrol doesnt matter (FE doesnt matter)
5) Everything else
Plan to keep it for 5 years atleast

The only options which come to my mind are:
1) 2021 VW tiguan 5 seater (probably fits all criteria but price still unknown)
2) Hyundai Tucson (perfect pricing, performance on par with the Cruze I suppose but essentially a generation old)
3) Citroen C5 aircross (perhaps a bit too expensive, performance not faster than the Cruze and not AWD)
4) Jeep Compass (fits the bill except for being too slow)
5) VW Troc- cheaper and possibly a decent option but the DQ200 doesn't inspire confidence to me
6) VW Taigun/Skoda Kushaq 1.5s- Cheaper options but once again same issue as the T-Roc
7) pre-worshipped BMW X1 xdrive20d, Audi Q3 35TDI and Merc GLA220d. Not too keen on these as 2-3 year old good ones would be >30lakhs I assume in Mumbai

Have I missed out anything else? Any suggestions?
Here is my own rationale for Tucson, just my view

1) good engine with 185 power enough to throw you back in the seat.
2) butter smooth automatic, fairly responsive to sudden acceleration, but otherwise super smooth.
3) have seen some good mileage returned...(16-17 on our forum)
4) has all the bells and whistles, connected features, panoromic sunroof, TPMS, front powered seats, wireless charging and several other features etc.
5) space - clear winner in back seat space and boot space
6) 5 yr warranty should take care of almost 50% of ownership
7) Hyundai ASS should be decent.
8) good road presence keeping on mind ease of city use and parking

The sales advisor have assured that the new gen is not coming until mid - end 2022 or early 2023.

Am sure the new gen will have more gizmos, radical new design, Several ADAS features...but am sure it will few lakhs more making it touch the 40 L figure...

Hope this helps...
monish_m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 12:13   #188
BHPian
 
superutp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 481
Thanked: 221 Times
Default Re: Crossover/SUV for 25 Lakhs: Seltos/Tucson/Compass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezydrive View Post
Though there is no official word from FORD INDIA, but going by media reports, it seems Ford may bring TERRITORY to India soon. Looks leagues ahead of Compass and Tucson. The dimensions are closer to Harrier and engine is supposed to be 1.5 L ecoboost.

Source: https://gaadiwaadi.com/5-things-to-k...ord-territory/

Going by currency conversion of pricing in Philippines Piso, the TITANIUM model should be around INR 19 -20 lacs exshowroom.

So, in case you are willing to wait, TERRITORY looks promising and worth the wait!
While it may be an all round good SUV, I dont think it'll come close to being on par with performance/or better than the Cruze.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monish_m View Post
Here is my own rationale for Tucson, just my view

1) good engine with 185 power enough to throw you back in the seat.
2) butter smooth automatic, fairly responsive to sudden acceleration, but otherwise super smooth.
3) have seen some good mileage returned...(16-17 on our forum)
4) has all the bells and whistles, connected features, panoromic sunroof, TPMS, front powered seats, wireless charging and several other features etc.
5) space - clear winner in back seat space and boot space
6) 5 yr warranty should take care of almost 50% of ownership
7) Hyundai ASS should be decent.
8) good road presence keeping on mind ease of city use and parking

The sales advisor have assured that the new gen is not coming until mid - end 2022 or early 2023.

Am sure the new gen will have more gizmos, radical new design, Several ADAS features...but am sure it will few lakhs more making it touch the 40 L figure...

Hope this helps...
Thanks for your points. I do agree on some of the points you have mentioned but from a performance point of view I dont think the tuscon is a step over the Cruze and I believe they both would feel around the same. Of course, the 8 speed of the Tucson would definitely be better than the 6 speed on the Cruze but not sure if that will make the world of difference in outright performance.
However, it does make sense to test drive the Tucson and not disregard it completely
superutp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2021, 15:54   #189
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 15
Thanked: 47 Times
Default Need for a do it all SUV sub 30 lac for North India.

Hi everyone,

As seen from my profile, I reside in Bombay and here have a Tiguan TDI as my do it all car taking care of all my needs.

However, as I have grown up now and graduated two years ago. I am now actively taking part in my family companies factories in North India.

I thus, will be spending a lot more time in New Delhi, Haryana, Punjab, Himachal Pradesh etc. in the months post the Pandemic and even regularly every year.

Usage profile:

We have a 2014 Innova base spec for factory and office leg work which feels very spartan and boring for daily use and long trips to factories.

Being in my early 20s I do want something torquey and fun to drive, I love cars I can form a long personal bond with.

Usage while in New Delhi around 5-6 days a week within NCR of 55-70km daily to and from office. The car for these times will almost always be chauffeur driven.

Backseat should be just adequate nothing too special just enough space for two big size adults. I prefer sitting ahead in the front passenger seat.

On weekends I would also use this car for self driving to meet family, friends, go out to parties etc.

95% of usage would be in times when I am in Delhi and sometimes when my parents are in Delhi to meet family or work. So it may lie parked for many weeks sometimes.

I have a real anxiety of traveling cross border in North India experiencing some horrific road incidents and so safety is a top priority along with being a fun car for when driving myself.

The car will mostly be company registered and thus, maintenance and reliability need to be decent to keep expenses in check.

Personally in Mumbai, I prefer smaller footprint cars but given the way people drive and treat you on the road in the North, bigger is better.

Car will have to endure some pretty bad roads especially when travelling to factory and also at times during NCR travel as sometimes using the old road from Delhi to Faridabad is like an offroad spec highway.

Having some kind of 4x4 system would be a plus and would give me reassurance that I can take the car to some places I have to visit for work in the monsoon months without too much stress.

Based on these I figured an Automatic, Diesel SUV fits the bill.

The time of purchase would be post July 2021 but shortlisting needs to start now, any upcoming launches in the category can be considered.

Options as seen by me:

1. Isuzu MUX of 2020 manufacturing makes the 4x4 version in the given price range (some discounts are there but stock is very limited) not sure about its safety rating. Engine is said to be reliable. We have a V Cross in my relatives house and that car is used daily and has had no issues to date.

2. Jeep Compass - too many variants confusion, will need to speak to dealer to see what deal is there that suits the budget and requirements, very capable and fun to drive but ASS is not too wide spread, reliability is not the best from examples seen from people in friend circles, although most were 1.4 Petrol DCT.

3. Tata Safari, much cheaper will save couple lacs which can be invested. However, Tata Motors while a great stock to own, its cars are still full of niggles and issues and even for my very modern family who do not really care about brands are calling me stupid for considering a TATA due to it's brand image reliability and ASS quality.

4. An option which is a long shot but given goals set out, will be allowed.
Work for 2-3 years on our expansion and continue using the Innova as the sole car, if our plan succeeds, can look to buy a car in the region of a Range Rover Sport!

Thank you for reading my exhaustive, highly specific post. Please do share your opinion or any other options I should look at.

Thank you very much and I look forward to your feedback

Dear Mods, this is my first thread so please let me know if anything in this post in incorrect and goes against the guidelines of the forum.
DieselTurbo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2021, 16:43   #190
BHPian
 
akash_v12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Pune | Mumbai
Posts: 889
Thanked: 2,303 Times
Default Re: Need for a do it all SUV sub 30 lac for North India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselTurbo View Post
Hi everyone,
As seen from my profile, I reside in Bombay and here have a Tiguan TDI as my do it all car taking care of all my needs.
Hi DieselTurbo! Appreciate the superbly well-segmented portion of the query.

I'll keep it clear with the answer to your question:

1. If you are not in the very mood to upgrade, keep the Innova, get a smaller hatch like the Polo TSI for the fun-to-drive factor. If you're plans do succeed, get the car you'd like then (i.e RR Sport).

2. If you can sell the Innova, get a Harrier/Safari or Tuscon (IMO Most Premium despite its age). The Innova being sold will make reduce the pocket-pinch and you can further keep the car and/or buy the luxury car.
akash_v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2021, 16:56   #191
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 15
Thanked: 47 Times
Default Re: Need for a do it all SUV sub 30 lac for North India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_v12 View Post
Hi DieselTurbo! Appreciate the superbly well-segmented portion of the query.

I'll keep it clear with the answer to your question:

1. If you are not in the very mood to upgrade, keep the Innova, get a smaller hatch like the Polo TSI for the fun-to-drive factor. If you're plans do succeed, get the car you'd like then (i.e RR Sport).

2. If you can sell the Innova, get a Harrier/Safari or Tuscon (IMO Most Premium despite its age). The Innova being sold will make reduce the pocket-pinch and you can further keep the car and/or buy the luxury car.
Thank you Akash! I appreciate your opinion and I think your second option is a good idea, hadn’t considered the Tucson. While I would love the polo as a car but my high amount of interstate travel came horrible roads in Himachal Pradesh would make the car a bit fit for the bill. Plus need for a big boot and decent rear seat space for even daily use when carrying passengers, it’ll be a squeeze.

Will definitely add the Tucson to the shortlist!
DieselTurbo is offline  
Old 2nd May 2021, 17:02   #192
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Mumbai/Pune
Posts: 57
Thanked: 111 Times
Default Re: Need for a do it all SUV sub 30 lac for North India.

Looking at your usage, I would highly recommend a body on frame vehicle. I feel the MUX would fit your needs perfectly if you can fit it within your budget.

Another car you can look at is the Alturas G4/G2.
With discounts, it will fit in your budget but keep in mind that there are rumors of it being discontinued so parts might be a problem 5 years down the road. But it is a fantastic vehicle.

Base model endeavour is around 35 lakhs. If you can extend your budget, it will also be a great buy (minus 4x4)

Tucson is a great option if you don't want Body on Frame.

Last edited by Pratyush2407 : 2nd May 2021 at 17:07.
Pratyush2407 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2021, 17:28   #193
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 15
Thanked: 47 Times
Default Re: Need for a do it all SUV sub 30 lac for North India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratyush2407 View Post
Looking at your usage, I would highly recommend a body on frame vehicle. I feel the MUX would fit your needs perfectly if you can fit it within your budget.

Another car you can look at is the Alturas G4/G2.
With discounts, it will fit in your budget but keep in mind that there are rumors of it being discontinued so parts might be a problem 5 years down the road. But it is a fantastic vehicle.

Base model endeavour is around 35 lakhs. If you can extend your budget, it will also be a great buy (minus 4x4)

Tucson is a great option if you don't want Body on Frame.
Thank you for your opinion!

Not considering Endeavor as even though it is a great SUV, 35 for a base model will just seem like a bad choice.

The MUX seems like the best pick so far, just need to do some research on the long term commitment of ISUZU to the passenger vehicle market in India. They have opened a very nice showroom in a mall near my house which wouldn’t have been cheap.

From preliminary research the MUX engine also is very reliable and basic to fix even from a mechanic in a tier 2-3 area.
DieselTurbo is offline  
Old 3rd May 2021, 15:38   #194
Senior - BHPian
 
PrideRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: BLR/PTR
Posts: 2,749
Thanked: 6,980 Times
Default Re: Need for a do it all SUV sub 30 lac for North India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselTurbo View Post
Thank you for your opinion!

Not considering Endeavor as even though it is a great SUV, 35 for a base model will just seem like a bad choice.

The MUX seems like the best pick so far, just need to do some research on the long term commitment of ISUZU to the passenger vehicle market in India. They have opened a very nice showroom in a mall near my house which wouldn’t have been cheap.

From preliminary research the MUX engine also is very reliable and basic to fix even from a mechanic in a tier 2-3 area.
If you register in Delhi, be aware of 10year rule for Diesels. If you are still ok with Diesel, Endeavour 4x2 Titanium should be better bet than MUX. Endeavour gets as much/more kit than MUX barring 4x4. Service and resale should be better while reliability should be on par. Since you drive on roads(good/bad) may 4WD is not needed. Difference between Endeavour Titanium and 4x4 MUX should be about 1.5-2L.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2021, 22:51   #195
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Cairo
Posts: 1
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Two compact SUVs under 40 lakhs for growing family in Hyderabad

Hello everyone. Hope you're all safe in these difficult times. I've been an avid reader on this site for years and thoroughly enjoy everyone's input. This is my first post here so please forgive me in advance if I miss something.

I am hoping that some of you can help me and my wife choose the right cars as we'll be moving to India later this year.

Some background info... I'm a 31 year old Egyptian currently in Egypt with my wife (Indian). Due to covid, I can work remotely so we've decided to relocate to my wife's hometown - Hyderabad.

In Egypt, I drive an automatic 2015 Kia Rio. I bought it new back in 2014 and it hasn't given me a single problem since. It's a reliable no-fuss vehicle that takes you from point A to point B. It's my first and only car, and I'm hugely attached to it. I wouldn't part with it if I didn't have to. At the same time, I'm sick of it and yearning for a change ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My wife drove a tired Indica in Hyderabad for a few years. Thankfully, that Indica is long gone now. In Egypt, she didn't drive the Kia as she never felt comfortable driving on the other side of the road, especially considering the high-speed, 6-lane highways common in suburban Cairo.

Anyway, now we are planning to buy two new compact SUVs when we move to India. One for my wife, and one for myself. Both with the same requirements. If possible, we would like to avoid buying two of the same car.

We will be driving in the city most of the time. I doubt we will be doing much highway driving. I believe our usage will be moderate, like going for groceries, errands, outings, etc... We're planning on retaining the cars for a maximum of five years.

Requirements:

- Small SUVs with good ground clearance. Some speed bumps around the area we will live in Hyd are huge. The roads are narrow and parking can be a challenge too.

- Safety is paramount. With a baby on the way, coupled with India's notorious roads, safety and good build quality is a top priority.

- Good ride comfort. Neither of us are looking for a fun ride with hard suspension setups. I'd love a plush ride or one that would at least smooth out imperfections and potholes. Independent rear suspension would be a bonus.

- We are precautious drivers. We don't overtake unless we must, and we don't redline our engines. Therefore, powerful engines are not a priority. But still not looking for the weakest engines around.

- Automatic transmission is a must. I've only driven a torque converter and an AMT before. I absolutely hate AMTs. Haven't driven CVT or DCT so I can't comment on them but I do like the crawl feature of a torque converter. Not sure if CVTs and DCTs have this feature. If they do, then I guess I'll be happy with either. As for my wife, she has only driven manual before and she's ready to transition to an automatic.

- Good visibility. Coming from the suburbs of Cairo, I didn't have to dodge autos, bikes, people, fruit carts, and other vehicles as much as I will have to in India. I would prefer a car with small A-pillars and big windows.

- I prefer a petrol engine, my wife doesn't mind either. Good fuel economy is important regardless of the type of fuel.

- Reliable brands with a good outlook in India that offer trouble-free ASS. We plan on maintaining our cars as best as possible for better resale value down the line.

- Good looking cars with great exterior design.

- Comfortable driver's seat with lumbar support if possible. My Kia has a very poor driver's seat that broke my back on long drives. Looking to spoil myself in this regard.

- Looking for acceptable rear leg room, a decent sized boot, and rear seats that fold down. Just thinking of practicality for a growing family.

- We are not interested in buying pre-owned vehicles.

- Both of us feel like we've had enough of Kia and Tata. Although, we will compromise and keep driving cars from these brands if they do offer the best choices.

Some preferences, not must-haves:

- Ventilated seats
- Good sound system
- Physical buttons for AC
- Keyless entry
- Remote engine start (even better if we can switch on the AC remotely)

Budget:

There is no strict budget per se but we want to avoid the luxury segment. Even though something like the Volvo XC40 ticks a lot of our boxes, we are not comfortable splashing out that kind of money at this stage in our lives. If we manage to keep the total spend on both cars under 40 lakhs OTR, then we will be happy.

Thank you in advance.
SARaymond is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks