Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2019, 18:55   #16
BHPian

re: Crossover/SUV for 25 Lakhs: Seltos/Tucson/Compass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
I didn't TD the Compass Petrol because the reviews indicated the performance to be not as good as the diesel and FE would be terrible.

With your mentioned usage of hardly even 1000 kms a month, why do you have to really care about the FE? Also Compass petrol performance is underwhelming coming from Compass Diesel, but coming from Jazz, I am sure you will (should) love it.
Old 21st September 2019, 20:14   #17
Team-BHP Support

I can give you a go ahead with the Tucson. The diesel is very nice, AT is responsive, NVH is good, engine refinement is super, handling is good and ride is typical European.

I am unsure of it will stack up against Seltos, but, if you are an engine guy, it will trump the Seltos for sure. All impressions are for diesel AWD GLS variant.

Last edited by Sheel : 21st September 2019 at 20:15.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2019, 20:27   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandhyab View Post
With your mentioned usage of hardly even 1000 kms a month, why do you have to really care about the FE? Also Compass petrol performance is underwhelming coming from Compass Diesel, but coming from Jazz, I am sure you will (should) love it.
Yes it would be better than Jazz but Compass costs almost thrice as much as Jazz. What makes you think I am considering Jazz as a performance benchmark. When I am spending 25 lakhs, I expect at least Honda City (petrol) level of performance. If I am not getting significantly better performance, why should I accept poor FE? Compass petrol offers probably mediocre performance and poor FE. Actually, there is nothing I really liked about the Compass considering the pricing. Compass was also outright rejected by the family due to less space, poor rear seat experience etc. So, Compass is out of consideration. Let's NOT discuss options which have been already rejected by me.

Last edited by adimicra : 21st September 2019 at 20:31.
Old 22nd September 2019, 11:32   #19
Senior - BHPian

Guys,
I have posted my short review of the Tucson test drive here.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4662498 (Hyundai Tucson : Official Review)

In short, though there are very attractive discounts on the Tucson, the harsh ride quality turned out to be a deal breaker for us. (The interiors are also not that great as well). So, now it's between the Seltos GT line (1.4 turbo petrol motor) and Octavia. As I said in the beginning, I don't need a proper SUV. I just need the car to be confidently clear our potholes and bumpers without getting nervous about it. After going through many ownership reviews, I feel confident that the Octavia has enough ground clearance to tackle our bad roads. Also, the Octavia comes with the rough road package which offers good underbody protection. This gives me the confidence to keep the Octavia in contention though I was initially inclined to SUV/crossover. The Octavia is clearly from a segment above with explosive performance but the Seltos should offer decent performance and is loaded with features.

I need to do a thorough test drive of the Seltos 1.4 DCT and Manual both before reaching a conclusion. Last time, I had a very short test drive as there was lot of rush. I will plan test drive in the weekdays so that I have more time to explore the car. Will keep all posted.
Old 22nd September 2019, 12:39   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

May I ask how your wife feels about the Octavia as you mentioned that the car is primarily for her. Also are you willing to spend so much money on a Skoda with all its horror stories around? You seem to hold on to your car for long and I am not sure if Skoda would match the Honda on that front.

My suggestion is to go for the Seltos. It has got the right proportions for city usage and is loaded with nearly all the tech that it available today.

Lastly you mentioned that you are looking at only MTs. I would strongly urge you to consider only ATs as that is the way forward. And the traffic is only going to get worse.
drmohitg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2019, 12:51   #21
Senior - BHPian

Why not the XUV 300 either in petrol or diesel guise? I haven't done a TD of either but there have been good reviews all round. Why don't you take a TD? Venue I've done a TD is good but the rear seat is rather cramped and at best a 4 seater: ingress/egress from the rear bench is also not that good: space between B pillar and seat squab is kinda narrow even for my lean frame. I'd also suggest the Honda City CVT ZX, it's a great car.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 22nd September 2019 at 13:01.
Old 22nd September 2019, 15:36   #22
BHPian

Kia Seltos or something else?

Quote:
. When I am spending 25 lakhs, I expect at least Honda City (petrol) level of performance. If I am not getting significantly better performance, why should I accept poor FE? Compass petrol offers probably mediocre performance and poor FE.

What makes you say that compass petrol has a mediocre performance and is not at par or better than honda city? Have you test driven it? Does the specs say it?
It's a fast SUV though has some lag that all turbo petrols have. Regarding 'poor FE' let me tell you a heavy petrol SUV can NEVER return double digit FE figure in city!

Last edited by Waspune : 22nd September 2019 at 15:38.
Old 22nd September 2019, 15:47   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
May I ask how your wife feels about the Octavia as you mentioned that the car is primarily for her. Also are you willing to spend so much money on a Skoda with all its horror stories around? You seem to hold on to your car for long and I am not sure if Skoda would match the Honda on that front.

My suggestion is to go for the Seltos. It has got the right proportions for city usage and is loaded with nearly all the tech that it available today.

Lastly you mentioned that you are looking at only MTs. I would strongly urge you to consider only ATs as that is the way forward. And the traffic is only going to get worse.

I started with considering MTs only but given limited options, I am considering ATs as well. In fact, the last 2 test drives have been all ATs - the Octavia 1.8 TSI DSG and the Tuscon diesel AT.
The wife loved the Octavia - space, ride, interiors etc. You are right about the Skoda A.S.S and on top of it, there is only one dealer in Hyderabad (same guy has 3 showrooms).
I am trying to get more information about the service offered by the dealership here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post
What makes you say that compass petrol has a mediocre performance and is not at par or better than honda city? Have you test driven it? Does the specs say it?
It's a fast SUV though has some lag that all turbo petrols have. Regarding 'poor FE' let me tell you a heavy petrol SUV can NEVER return double digit FE figure in city!
Sir, I apologize for my lack of information. Compass may be a great car but it's out of my consideration, period.

Last edited by adimicra : 22nd September 2019 at 15:50.
Old 23rd September 2019, 00:34   #24
Team-BHP Support

Few thoughts:

- Will the second car really be a second car ? The way you put your budget, that seems to be the primary vehicle?
- When you say its going to run 10-12K, should FE be a concern ?
- When you want a fast petrol, and space, I assume apart from limited city usage, you are looking at highway runs?
- Fast petrol and SUV/Crossover is a rare combo. You may have to relook at that equation if not the Seltos.

Last edited by ampere : 23rd September 2019 at 11:04. Reason: typo fixed
ampere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2019, 09:33   #25
Senior - BHPian

^^
Thanks, @ampere.
As you see in this thread, I have understood that my criteria was too stringent and that's why I have relaxed those. For example - I am very much open to diesel cars as long as refinement and NVH are taken care of. I test drove the Compass and Tucson diesels and found the refinement in the Tucson very much acceptable but not so with the Compass. Also, I am open to auto transmissions as long as the shifts are fast. I found that the Octavia 1.8 TSi DSG and Tucson AT both are having pretty fast shifts. I would like the automatic to have some paddle shifts or manual controls though. However, CVTs are absolutely no-no for me.

Now coming to your questions -
- This will be the primary car which I will drive. The Jazz is almost nearing 100,000 kms but is in perfect condition. So, I will keep it as a second car for wife (she might no agree )

- I am not too concerned about FE. If other criteria are met, I can compromise on FE

- It's not petrol only. The key is refinement and NVH. I will do occassional highway runs.

- I have already relaxed the criteria. Diesels are fine as explained above.

I hope this clarifies.
adimicra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2019, 10:20   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
^^
I found that the Octavia 1.8 TSi DSG and Tucson AT both are having pretty fast shifts. I would like the automatic to have some paddle shifts or manual controls though. However, CVTs are absolutely no-no for me.

Now coming to your questions -
- This will be the primary car which I will drive.

- It's not petrol only. The key is refinement and NVH. I will do occassional highway runs.
Why are you even deliberating, when you have the Octavia TSI on your list and well within your budget? Shifts are lightning fast, the car moves like a bullet and refinement is very good as well. Not to mention the stellar build quality and premium looks of the Octavia. As for ground clearance, I know of plenty of people who are driving Octavias on the broken roads of Bangalore and are managing just fine, hence, no worries on that front.

I think the Octy will suit your requirements very well and reward you with superb performance and refinement. The only thing, as always with Skodas, is the service centre experience. If you have that sorted, you are good to go.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 23rd September 2019 at 10:21.
Old 23rd September 2019, 10:22   #27
Senior - BHPian

Are you open to Sedans as well if the usage would be in the City. The Elantra is a good choice in manual and has the space and quality and will be a good upgrade from a Jazz. Do consider the D segment sedans as well because at the price range the only options would be Creat/Hector/Compass etc. Most of them you have ruled out. The only thing remains are the likes of Duster/XUV etc which may not get you a niggle free experience like your Jazz.

Good Luck on your search.
Old 23rd September 2019, 10:47   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Why are you even deliberating, when you have the Octavia TSI on your list and well within your budget? Shifts are lightning fast, the car moves like a bullet and refinement is very good as well. Not to mention the stellar build quality and premium looks of the Octavia. As for ground clearance, I know of plenty of people who are driving Octavias on the broken roads of Bangalore and are managing just fine, hence, no worries on that front.

I think the Octy will suit your requirements very well and reward you with superb performance and refinement. The only thing, as always with Skodas, is the service centre experience. If you have that sorted, you are good to go.
I think you have answered yourself
There is only one Skoda dealer in Hyderabad who has 3 showrooms. So, its a complete monopoly. I need to be absolutely sure that these guys are good before I plonk 25 lakhs. Secondly, I have heard and read lot of horror stories on the DSG gearbox (some in this forum itself), which is making me think twice. There is no manual with the 1.8 TSI and the 1.4 TSI is having some turbo lag, though midrange is equally strong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Are you open to Sedans as well if the usage would be in the City. The Elantra is a good choice in manual and has the space and quality and will be a good upgrade from a Jazz. Do consider the D segment sedans as well because at the price range the only options would be Creat/Hector/Compass etc. Most of them you have ruled out. The only thing remains are the likes of Duster/XUV etc which may not get you a niggle free experience like your Jazz.

Good Luck on your search.
I am open to sedans but so far, I have considered the Octavia only. The reason is Octavia is having very good underbody protection which gives you confidence over bad roads. Also, the ride/handling of European cars are a class apart I feel. I was never a fan of Hyundai cars for their handling and I don't like the styling of the Elanta/Verna either.
adimicra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2019, 10:57   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think you have answered yourself
There is only one Skoda dealer in Hyderabad who has 3 showrooms. So, its a complete monopoly. I need to be absolutely sure that these guys are good before I plonk 25 lakhs. Secondly, I have heard and read lot of horror stories on the DSG gearbox (some in this forum itself), which is making me think twice. There is no manual with the 1.8 TSI and the 1.4 TSI is having some turbo lag, though midrange is equally strong.

I can fully understand your trepidation with DSG equipped machines. Earlier this year, I was deliberating like you (of course at a much lower price range) and The Vento/Polo TSI twins were ruled out because of DSG concerns. OF course, I came under a lot of flak from VW/ Skoda fan boys on this forum itself due to my low risk appetite , but at the end of the day, it was my hard earned money and reliability requirements which made me stick with the old but golden faithful, the Honda City iVTEC. No regrets thus far. I opted for a manual as well.

If ones risk appetite is healthier, the DSG cars might just be the deal.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 23rd September 2019 at 11:12.
arindambasu13 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2019, 11:04   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am open to sedans but so far, I have considered the Octavia only. The reason is Octavia is having very good underbody protection which gives you confidence over bad roads. Also, the ride/handling of European cars are a class apart I feel. I was never a fan of Hyundai cars for their handling and I don't like the styling of the Elanta/Verna either.
I think you should have a look at the Civic diesel as well since reliability is a concern for you. Power should be adequate for city usage. How many times do we red line the car anyways? The Octavia is a great car but even with extended warranty what if it breakdowns in the middle of a road trip with one's family. Skoda should probably offer the Octavia 1.8 with a manual.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks