Team-BHP - Crossover/SUV for 25 Lakhs: Seltos/Tucson/Compass?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-muvs-4x4s/)
-   -   Crossover/SUV for 25 Lakhs: Seltos/Tucson/Compass? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-muvs-4x4s/213061-crossover-suv-25-lakhs-seltos-tucson-compass-3.html)

I was in your situation from about the end of last year when I had to replace my 1st gen Ford figo after 9years. My requirements were slightly different. I wanted an automatic, and preferred a seven seater but was open to a spacious 5 seater also. My budget too was 20 lakhs.

Tata hexa, Harrier were out primarily because the dealer in my place didnt look reliable.
XUV 500 didnt make the grade as I was not happy with the driver's high sitting position
and ingress (My elderly parents would have a tough time). Otherwise the XUV5ooAT would have been an excellent choice.
Marazzo somehow didn't make the grade. Wife didn't like it. I too was not convinced.
Innova Crysta was possibly the best choice. In addition to being expensive, the AT-6/7seater-variant combo just is stupid. And so, it went down the list.

Among 5 seaters, Ecosport was out because of the space.
Renault Duster was too old.
Creta was fine. But somehow I didnt like the drive feel of it. It was miles away from the driving feel of my Ford Figo. Otherwise, it would have been a good commuter choice for my budget.
I didn't like the Captur.
Kicks would have been my definite choice if not for the sorry state of Nissan.
I did not look at Verna, City, Rapid, Vento etc. primarily as I felt SUV like ground clearance would be better.

Like you, I then extended my budget to 25 lakhs.
I waited for the new CRV. But it went beyond 30 lakhs. So was the Tiguan. I did test drive the Tucson. But the backseat was too low and the back seat ride was not good at all. My wife felt nauseous and Tucson was ruled out.
Compass was not considered as there was no dealer within a 100km radius of my town.

I finally settled for the Skoda Octavia Style Tdi AT and bought one home this April.
I didn't go for the TSI as I could not get the DQ200 ghost out of my head and I prefer diesel.
It is a spacious 5 seater, with a spacious boot as well. It is excellent to drive(but still doesn't have the steering feel-handling combo of my Figo), has enough and more features to keep me happy.
You to be mindful of the ground clearance. I have driven once on the Mangalore-Kasargod road which is in terrible shape now but the Octavia handled them well without any scrapes. There is road construction going on in my town and there are several uneven areas also which the car has managed without any scrapes.
With the Octavia, I had to further extend my budget to 30 lakhs take a risk with the service reputation of Skoda. Additionally, the nearest service centre is 60kms from my place. I keep my cars for as long as feasible as well. There is a 6 yr warranty and a 4 yr maintenance package for consolation.
It was purely a decision of the heart to go for the Octavia and I hope it works out fine.
If it was a decision of the head, I would have bought the Innova Crysta.

The Seltos was not there at that time, but I think I would have bought it if the drive feel is not like the Creta.
I don't like the Hector at all.
In your situation, I would say head - Seltos, heart - Octavia

Sorry,One more post. Mods please merge as I am outside the edit time window.

I had considered the BRV too. I missed mentioning it. But since you dont want a 7 seater, you can omit that.
With Seltos, there is the BS6 advantage too considering that you keep your cars for many years.

Hi! Could you please explain your decision of inclination towards SUV or Crossovers only? I see that you are in Hyderabad and if you do not want to do rough / cross roads or go into rural areas, then why do you want SUV.

Thanks, @Deep_blue.
I can very much relate to your journey.. So far, among the cars I have driven, Octavia is the most preferred choice. I am checking about the dealership here regarding their A.S.S. So far, the test drive experience has been very good. There is a discount of 1.4 lakhs on the octavia and the sales guy is saying this is absolutely the best I can ever get on the Octavia. I test drove both the 1.4 TSI and the 1.8 TSI DSG. The 1.4 TSI has some turbo lag but once past that, it flies as well. Given the horror stories of the DQ200, it might make sense to go for the 1.4 TSI manual and save 2 lakhs on the process. Suggestions? Also, you say that I have to be careful with the octavia in terms of ground clearance but it handled bad roads very well. Can you please explain what you mean?

I am yet to do a proper test drive of the Seltos GTX, hoping it will happen in the next few days. The Seltos GTX manual costs around 18 lakhs on road whereas the Octavia is 1.4 TSI is 22 lakhs on road. If I like the test drive of Seltos GTX in terms of performance, ride, handling etc, I will probably go for it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mathuranuj (Post 4663080)
Hi! Could you please explain your decision of inclination towards SUV or Crossovers only? I see that you are in Hyderabad and if you do not want to do rough / cross roads or go into rural areas, then why do you want SUV.

I go for long drives a couple of times a year, I guess you can find a couple of travelogues on team bhp. I had done a 2000 km roundtrip from Hyderabad covering Bangalore, Coorg, nagarhole etc.
In those drives, it became apparent to me that GC is an issue as my car got damaged twice in the underbody due to broken road surfaces.
Also, with the current roads around the place I stay, I would say those are worse than any rural areas.
Also, I like the higher seating position.
The reason I am inclined towards a SUV/crossover are the same as thousands of people who are buying those in India today who will never go offroading, nothing peculiar here

Quote:

Originally Posted by adimicra (Post 4663086)
Thanks, @Deep_blue.
Also, you say that I have to be careful with the octavia in terms of ground clearance but it handled bad roads very well. Can you please explain what you mean?

My first gen Figo had a ground clearance of 165 or 168mm. The Octavia is 155mm. The wheel base and front overhang is also longer. Between Figo and Octavia, the chance of scraping is definitely higher with Octavia. So I do approach humps or potholes with more care than I used to do with Figo.
What I realize is, it handles humps and potholes better than I expected it to. Where I thought it would scrape, it sailed off without scraping.I guess the stiffer suspension helps here. With more kms under the belt, my confidence would increase I guess.

I have not driven the 1.4TSI . I have not driven even the 1.8 TSI as the Mangalore dealer had only the 2TDI for test drives. Since I wanted an AT(my wife doesn't drive manual), so I didn't enquire further.
If I was for planning for a manual, I probably would have considered the 1.4 TSI more than 1.8 TSI as my budget was ballooning like crazy. The peace of mind is there and I am not crazy about features. If turbo lag is not disabling, you could consider it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by adimicra (Post 4663086)
I go for long drives a couple of times a year, I guess you can find a couple of travelogues on team bhp. I had done a 2000 km roundtrip from Hyderabad covering Bangalore, Coorg, nagarhole etc.
In those drives, it became apparent to me that GC is an issue as my car got damaged twice in the underbody due to broken road surfaces.
Also, with the current roads around the place I stay, I would say those are worse than any rural areas.

If our member from Udupi, Deep Blue, says that he can get by over there with a low GC Octavia, you know you can do it anywhere. The roads around Udupi/Mangalore really get cratered to hell every year. You haven't seen anything worse, I'm sure.

Having said that, I always keep in mind what one of our members has said ("Airbuscapt" I think, not fully sure) about driving with his BMW sedan versus his Tata Hexa on his regular Mumbai-Hyderabad trips; the average time taken is invariably lesser with his Hexa as he doesn't have to slow down for bad roads. The BMW can and does handle the bad patches, but time (and suspension components) will be the casualty here in his case.

Personally - I can totally understand your point of view and your situation. I live in parts where roads are always pathetic. Having a brute SUV gives me 100% peace of mind all the time, while we scrape and bang our smaller hatchback on these roads. You go for what you want while keeping in mind that it is always a trade-off. You'll get bad roads capability at the cost of ship-like handling in a SUV.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mathuranuj (Post 4663080)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deep Blue (Post 4663162)
My first gen Figo had a ground clearance of 165 or 168mm. The Octavia is 155mm. The wheel base and front overhang is also longer. Between Figo and Octavia, the chance of scraping is definitely higher with Octavia. So I do approach humps or potholes with more care than I used to do with Figo.
What I realize is, it handles humps and potholes better than I expected it to. Where I thought it would scrape, it sailed off without scraping.I guess the stiffer suspension helps here. With more kms under the belt, my confidence would increase I guess.

Just to clarify, don't go by the GC figures as different manufacturers measure it differently and there is no standardization. Skoda cars have very low GC on paper as they measure it at the lowest point in the car whereas other manufactureres measure at different points. I remember this when I bought Jazz 9 years back and I was comparing with the Fabia. Fabia had a quoted FC of <150 mm but all owners mentioned there was no issue with GC whereas Jazz had a quoted GC of 165mm but there was higher possibility of scraping.

Quote:

Originally Posted by locusjag (Post 4663194)
If our member from Udupi, Deep Blue, says that he can get by over there with a low GC Octavia, you know you can do it anywhere. The roads around Udupi/Mangalore really get cratered to hell every year. You haven't seen anything worse, I'm sure.

Having said that, I always keep in mind what one of our members has said ("Airbuscapt" I think, not fully sure) about driving with his BMW sedan versus his Tata Hexa on his regular Mumbai-Hyderabad trips; the average time taken is invariably lesser with his Hexa as he doesn't have to slow down for bad roads. The BMW can and does handle the bad patches, but time (and suspension components) will be the casualty here in his case.

Personally - I can totally understand your point of view and your situation. I live in parts where roads are always pathetic. Having a brute SUV gives me 100% peace of mind all the time, while we scrape and bang our smaller hatchback on these roads. You go for what you want while keeping in mind that it is always a trade-off. You'll get bad roads capability at the cost of ship-like handling in a SUV.

Very well summarized, buddy. I know SUV means I have to compromise on handling. However, I am hoping Kia Seltos offers a good balance like the Compass.

Before anyone jumps on me for making this class(es) apart comparison, let me clarify - yes, I am not drunk and in my senses.
But I am going crazy with this. Can't see myself doing any progress, so asking here in desperation.

My Scene:
I mostly lurk around Bengaluru. The roads I frequent have developed huge potholes/diggings/not-really-roads; no thanks to elected people/BBMP/<insert-others-who-felt-they-need-dug-up-roads>.
I also go on highways more than few times a year.
Currently have a 1.5 diesel Polo. Good fast car. Goes well on roads. It hugs the road (planted feel) - which sadly also means underbody scrapes on above average bumps, stones, whatever looks like tiny pimples on road surface!
I have changed the oil sump once, have couple of running board dents going over rocks hiding under pool of water in potholes.
It has suffered the diesel gate, got it's fix, shivers and growls like tractor when it feels cold in mornings.
It has a decent boot, but my family grew and boot suddenly looks like a big suitcase now. Not enough space.

It has travelled enough in 5 years, ~200kms away from 80k mark. Loan ends in a month.

Now,
I started looking for something automatic, has decent clearance, <bigger than suitcase-boot>, but drives planted like Polo.

I have tried many vehicles with automatic transmission in this list - [Ecosport dragon, Duster, Seltos GTX 1.4 DCT, Jeep Compass, Innova Crysta, Tiguan, Endeavour].

Half of these I started to feel are outdated after Seltos came out with so many features & creature comforts. Like Duster, Ecosport, Creta, <insert most Crossover/SUV from Honda>, etc. At that price point, Seltos has decent suspension, decent clearance (for me), and mostly similar in size.

Endeavour was my dream for long time, had followed that thread reading every comment. It had started featuring in my dreams! Once I drove it on NICE road, I was scared - I am not used to that body roll. I am coming from Polo, it's like going from underground to 1st floor directly. I loved it when it moves slow, good visibility everywhere, easy steering, good cabin, etc., but was scared in curves. Shudder, even by mistake if I go fast in curves?
Can't live and drive with this fear. <Imagine dream bubble being punctured gif here>
Also, this big vehicle in Bengalooru traffic didn't seem easy.

Loved Jeep's design, handling and power, but like many others have sounded on this forum, the automatic didn't impress and mileage isn't convincing enough. Also, few features missing at that price point for this age, nah!

Did not really drive Tucson, but the dash/styling didn't appeal to me. Didn't strike quality either. My personal taste. This is not completely out of the race yet, to add to my utter confusion.

Seltos seems to have way more goodies. Good silent refined petrol turbo engine which gives okay-ish power delivery (coming from 1.5 litre Polo diesel here, has that really sweet turbo kick), that 360 camera, HUD, ventilated seats, blind view monitor, etc., are very inviting. All this at ~21 OTR.
However, I don't like it's styling, honestly, too much bling for my taste with all that chrome and lines around, and every time I see the fog lamps it seems like bunch of LED torches from Ali Express glued together. But I can live with it. Handling is kinda okay, but not very confident about curves.

Now Tiguan has a few things going for it, barring the bad price.
I am happy with it's styling, interior feels classy, although misses few of those goodies Seltos gives. But the way Tiguan handles and drives, it's like Polo - only bigger. Felt happy after a long + bad roads mix test drive.
I understand that Tiguan has a lot of features too, some of them important to me like huge boot, better handling, good enough power to haul it's weight and sports mode can give that kick once in a while, huuuuge fuel tank and better mileage than Seltos DCT 1.4 petrol, and so on.

I tried making a spreadsheet with list of features in Seltos vs Tiguan and if I would regret any features missing in either. Seems like Tiguan came on top! (Attached)

This is where I am confused now.

I have ran out of my wits, fishing for points on why I should choose one over the other. May be I am looking at this all wrong. May be I am missing some other vehicle in this market. Should I be considering anything else?

Help please?

Wow, i like this comparo. You hate the design of seltos but love the features. I find it hard to fathom. Going by your post, you have a taste for european cars, yet you want to give it up for some cameras and air freshener. Buying a car in india is all about making right compromises. If you have parking space, try going horses for courses. Buy two cars. Both new or one used. compass manual+ octavia 1.8 tsi if you can stretch. how about a used x1 . Have you considered kodiaq ? If I have to choose between the two you shortlisted, i would pick tiguan. Those features you love are not any different than what you get when you upgrade your smartphone. an hour is all it takes to forget that they exist. My opionion. All the best

If I were you, I would not look at mileage as a defining parameter for the category of cars you are looking at. The sheer utility and convenience factor will override any few hundreds of bucks you may save due to mileage during a particular road trip. The Tiguan is certainly the more capable, well rounded product of the two in every sense.
If mileage is a huge factor, you may want to go with an Octavia 2.0 TDI . It is a fantastic highway cruiser with almost the same amount of boot space as a Tiguan. It may cost a bit less too! It will give you more driving pleasure than the Seltos, certainly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shrinath_m2 (Post 4664082)
Before anyone jumps on me for making this class(es) apart comparison, let me clarify - yes, I am not drunk and in my senses.
But I am going crazy with this. Can't see myself doing any progress, so asking here in desperation.
Help please?

Are you into consulting? stupid:

Because I feel that you have gotten into analysis - paralysis.

Answer my question below in one word please.

Assuming you HAVE to buy a car between Seltos and Tiguan (no other options), thinking about which car makes you smile?

Buy that car!

I'd say Tiguan or even the CR-V(If you don't care too much about 0-100 times.) Check this thread out, the BHPian says he's getting good deals on the CR-V: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-...discounts.html

If you have the moolah for the better engineered car, go for it. If you're familiar with VW ASS, it makes the Tiguan's case stronger. Also, VWs mod potential is one of the highest- I'm sure you can get most of the features by ordering parts from CN/DE and performing DIY mods.

I really like the Tiguan. A high quality car, with all the features most owners would need. You could consider, checking with KPR VW in Mysore, for a better deal on the Tiguan.

A bit low on flash but otherwise excellent. There's loads of after-market stuff you can add too. A few years down the line, a Stage 1 Remap will keep the excitement going.

My experience with VW has been very good over a year of ownership with a pre-worshipped VW Jetta 2.0 TDi. Car has been running a Stage 1 Remap for 60,000 km+.

Link to my last service here - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post4590879

Sure German cars need careful handling, but you already know this as a Polo owner for 5 years.

The Tiguan will probably be the last true blue VW sold in India (along with the Passat) - as I read on the forum, that quality of Polo is not what it used to be.

Going forward the VWs sold in India, will be 'Indianised' read 'Cheapened'.

So, if you want the true 'German' car experience and can afford the Tiguan, then this will be my recommendation.

The standard warranty is now 4 years + option of 2 years of extended warranty.

So an 8-10 year ownership period can cater for the additional purchase cost.

It will cost almost 50% more than the Seltos OTR but no comparison really, as Tiguan is in a different league of quality compared to Seltos.

As the wise monk on the mountain said 'The Right Time is NOW!'

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbeast (Post 4664112)
You hate the design of seltos but love the features.

Hate is a strong word, so, I just don't like it so much. It could do with a little less bling for me.

Quote:

I find it hard to fathom. Going by your post, you have a taste for European cars, yet you want to give it up for some cameras and air freshener. Buying a car in India is all about making right compromises.

Air freshener I would not miss for sure, but camera would be an advantage given the road and driving conditions in some parts of Bengalooru. Like @landcruisser123 says above, it could be an after-market add-on too.
And I agree, it is all about justified compromises. I am trying to figure if Tiguan is going to feel outdated in presence of Seltos. And if there are any other worthy contenders, which you and others have thankfully listed below :)

Quote:

If you have parking space, try going horses for courses. Buy two cars. Both new or one used. compass manual+ octavia 1.8 tsi if you can stretch. how about a used x1 .

This would make it a daily confusion, should I heat the car A or car B. And used cars evaluation is not my strong point. Allergic to lemons.

Quote:

Have you considered kodiaq ? If I have to choose between the two you shortlisted, i would pick tiguan. Those features you love are not any different than what you get when you upgrade your smartphone. an hour is all it takes to forget that they exist. My opionion. All the best

Kodiaq, way too stretching the pocket. Not that deep with $$, yet. Plan to get there in 5 years and then look at those nice badges!

Quote:

Originally Posted by fhdowntheline (Post 4664156)
If I were you, I would not look at mileage as a defining parameter

No no no, don't get me wrong, I am not saying mileage is defining factor - it is really nice along with that big tank is what I am saying.
Also, Octy has lower ground clearance, similar to Polo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2000rpm (Post 4664183)
Are you into consulting? stupid:

Because I feel that you have gotten into analysis - paralysis.

Answer my question below in one word please.

Assuming you HAVE to buy a car between Seltos and Tiguan (no other options), thinking about which car makes you smile?

Buy that car!

Hahaha! I sometimes over think about overthinking!
But here, I am pushing serious money out, so I think it is justified. Well, heart clearly has decided, it's the mind playing tricks now. FOMO, if you will. All those gizmos, would I miss them?
What @blackbeast said, an hour is all it takes to forget that they exist. - is this what it all ends up being? Because I miss a good screen with Apple carplay on my 2014 Polo.
So now, Tiguan having most features but missing on a few, I am (over) thinking about would I miss those "cameras and air fresheners" stupid:
Hence the comparison sheet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by landcruiser123 (Post 4664196)
I'd say Tiguan or even the CR-V(If you don't care too much about 0-100 times.) Check this thread out, the BHPian says he's getting good deals on the CR-V: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-...discounts.html

If you have the moolah for the better engineered car, go for it. If you're familiar with VW ASS, it makes the Tiguan's case stronger. Also, VWs mod potential is one of the highest- I'm sure you can get most of the features by ordering parts from CN/DE and performing DIY mods.

Will check CR-V.
Agree, VW's mod potential is really strong. I may not be a DIY guy, but I think I can get someone do it.

When you say "better engineered car", do you imply Seltos/CR-V is not there comparatively? In what sense?

Quote:

Originally Posted by shrinath_m2 (Post 4664258)
When you say "better engineered car", do you imply Seltos/CR-V is not there comparatively? In what sense?

Most cheaper cars have a torsion beam setup in the rear whereas the Tiguan has a multi-link rear suspension which will offer superior stability on the highway. I'm talking about things you might not see visually. Also, I think Tiguan's interior packaging is way better considering the boot space on offer.

Also, any car engineered for the first world- CR-V and Tiguan will be put through more rigorous testing considering the many factors like longevity, reliability, harsh weather conditions etc. Like the Creta, I'm not sure Seltos is sold in western Europe and the USA. By no means am I suggesting that Seltos is inferior, but if you can get a better car, I'd suggest stretching out for that Tiguan/CR-V. It's like a Bata shoe vs a Hush Puppies. The former is comfortable and does the job. The latter is a premium product and feels better.