Team-BHP - Crossover/SUV for 25 Lakhs: Seltos/Tucson/Compass?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-muvs-4x4s/)
-   -   Crossover/SUV for 25 Lakhs: Seltos/Tucson/Compass? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-muvs-4x4s/213061-crossover-suv-25-lakhs-seltos-tucson-compass-5.html)

If I may throw in another option : The Tiguan.
There are some fantastic price discounts on offer. Though not petrol, but it has everything many of you are looking for : build quality, good to drive, good interiors, and AWD.

That being said, service isn't as good as Skoda in Mumbai.

Yes, it will still be more expensive than the Tucson but if you're spending 25 big ones, may as look at other options too.

We were in a similar predicament last year - we were thinking of a Creta AT. But at almost 19L with a lot of missing features and a bouncy ride - we slowly started climbing up the ladder to a pre-owned tucson, a new tucson, and finally hit a sweet spot with a great deal on the Tiguan.
The Tucson with it's better ride and rear seat was a very close contender, but the Tiguan with AWD, a more extensive feature list, nicer interiors, better build quality sealed the deal.

If open to pre-owned - I spotted some good deals on the X1.

Quote:

Originally Posted by adimicra (Post 4665241)
Sorry about that.
2 questions -
1> How has your experience been with the Octavia on rough roads? Does it scrape often? Any damages? How careful one has to be?

I have been following your thread for a while now and to me one thing appears clear. You clearly love the Octavia and it shows in your posts and queries regarding that car. So I would suggest you to go ahead and buy one and forget the Tuscon/Seltos/Compass etc. I have heard Skoda is offering extended warranties and service packs now and hence you should be good to go for 5-6 years.

Your car should make you smile everyday. Mine does.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lamborghini (Post 4665281)
If I may throw in another option : The Tiguan.
There are some fantastic price discounts on offer. Though not petrol, but it has everything many of you are looking for : build quality, good to drive, good interiors, and AWD.

That being said, service isn't as good as Skoda in Mumbai.

Yes, it will still be more expensive than the Tucson but if you're spending 25 big ones, may as look at other options too.

We were in a similar predicament last year - we were thinking of a Creta AT. But at almost 19L with a lot of missing features and a bouncy ride - we slowly started climbing up the ladder to a pre-owned tucson, a new tucson, and finally hit a sweet spot with a great deal on the Tiguan.
The Tucson with it's better ride and rear seat was a very close contender, but the Tiguan with AWD, a more extensive feature list, nicer interiors, better build quality sealed the deal.

If open to pre-owned - I spotted some good deals on the X1.

I considered the Tiguan as well as the CRV and I find both of them very high priced. The Tiguan highline (comfortline does not get sunroof) costs 38 lakhs on road. Even if we take 5 lakhs discount (hypothetical), it is still 33 lakhs and a good 6 lakhs costlier than Tucson. Also, I don't like the way it looks and neither it is super powerful compared to the Tucson or Compass. The CRV has 5+ lakhs discount going on but the underpowered engine is a dealbreaker.

Quote:

Originally Posted by drmohitg (Post 4665295)
I have been following your thread for a while now and to me one thing appears clear. You clearly love the Octavia and it shows in your posts and queries regarding that car. So I would suggest you to go ahead and buy one and forget the Tuscon/Seltos/Compass etc. I have heard Skoda is offering extended warranties and service packs now and hence you should be good to go for 5-6 years.

Your car should make you smile everyday. Mine does.

You got me, buddy :D
Tough battle going on I agree. Good and simple advice. Hopefully, will decide soon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by adimicra (Post 4665330)
I considered the Tiguan as well as the CRV and I find both of them very high priced. The Tiguan highline (comfortline does not get sunroof) costs 38 lakhs on road. Even if we take 5 lakhs discount (hypothetical), it is still 33 lakhs and a good 6 lakhs costlier than Tucson. Also, I don't like the way it looks and neither it is super powerful compared to the Tucson or Compass. The CRV has 5+ lakhs discount going on but the underpowered engine is a dealbreaker.

Looks and performance - I agree with you. I was talking about the comfortline trim which should be 2L more than the Tucson top end. Even ride quality.

But in terms of build, bad roads, interior design and quality, and easy to drive - the Tucson came out on tops. Think of it as an Octavia on stilts.

Sunroof will be the biggest omission, and that is what prompted us to get the Highline truth be told, but even the Comfortline is very well loaded and the head was nodding towards the Comfortline.

We didn't consider the CR-V due to the smaller diesel + headroom issues.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lamborghini (Post 4665340)
Looks and performance - I agree with you. I was talking about the comfortline trim which should be 2L more than the Tucson top end. Even ride quality.

But in terms of build, bad roads, interior design and quality, and easy to drive - the Tucson came out on tops. Think of it as an Octavia on stilts.

Sunroof will be the biggest omission, and that is what prompted us to get the Highline truth be told, but even the Comfortline is very well loaded and the head was nodding towards the Comfortline.

We didn't consider the CR-V due to the smaller diesel + headroom issues.

Tiguan comfortline misses the sunroof, push-button start, keyless entry, reverse parking camera :eek:). I don't think I can live without these features after paying more than 30 lakhs. And the highline means stretching my budget even further, which I can't convince myself. So, I will leave it out and not create more confusion

Quote:

Originally Posted by lamborghini (Post 4665281)

If you were in same scenario this year, right now, how would this go? Right now you have Seltos instead of Creta. So would you go for it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by lamborghini (Post 4665340)

Do you mean Tucson has better build/interior design & quality?

Just home after booking a compass limited plus. The news that there are no limited plus is absolutely wrong. If i remember correctly there are 4 blue vehicles and two silver available in the factory. The limited variant is available in plenty.

I was exactly in the same boat as you, being torn between Seltos Tucson and compass. I chose Compass for the tight build and awesome handling it offers. For a family of two the narrow space in the rear of the compass was not much of a deal. There are few key misses in the compass as you pointed out. It doesn't come with in built navigation, no cruise control etc. But be rest assured with all these misses, it still puts a smile on your face every time you drive the car. I am not in anyway trying to coerce you to buy any particular car but just explaining my thought process.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRTH1987 (Post 4665440)
Just home after booking a compass limited plus. The news that there are no limited plus is absolutely wrong. If i remember correctly there are 4 blue vehicles and two silver available in the factory. The limited variant is available in plenty.

I was exactly in the same boat as you, being torn between Seltos Tucson and compass. I chose Compass for the tight build and awesome handling it offers. For a family of two the narrow space in the rear of the compass was not much of a deal. There are few key misses in the compass as you pointed out. It doesn't come with in built navigation, no cruise control etc. But be rest assured with all these misses, it still puts a smile on your face every time you drive the car. I am not in anyway trying to coerce you to buy any particular car but just explaining my thought process.

Congrats on the booking and wishing many happy miles with the car. Were you able to manage any discounts? For me, my wife has to give a :thumbs up. Let's see how the next test drive goes. I tend to keep a car for long term, so need to think about those aspects as well before making the decision

Quote:

Originally Posted by adimicra (Post 4665464)
I tend to keep a car for long term, so need to think about those aspects as well before making the decision

Do factor in the 3 year service package offered on the Tucson as well, may not be a huge amount but you do get 3 free services which includes all wear and tear parts as well. Plus the option of a 6 year extended warranty.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shrinath_m2 (Post 4665361)
If you were in same scenario this year, right now, how would this go? Right now you have Seltos instead of Creta. So would you go for it?

Do you mean Tucson has better build/interior design & quality?

Sorry, I meant Tiguan, not tucson.

If I were in a similar predicament right now - I probably would get the Tiguan again, over the Seltos if the suspension is similar to the Creta.

@adimicra Since you have been test-driving Seltos/Compass/Tucson/Octavia, except for engine and dimensions does Seltos better Compass/Tucson/Octavia feature-wise/equipment-wise?

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnandB (Post 4665878)
@adimicra Since you have been test-driving Seltos/Compass/Tucson/Octavia, except for engine and dimensions does Seltos better Compass/Tucson/Octavia feature-wise/equipment-wise?

Kia Seltos is very well-loaded in features and can give any D-segment car a run for it's money. However, here are the main advantages of D-segment cars over Seltos, as per me -
Better build quality, you can easily feel it. Should be safer and more abuse-friendly
lumbar support for driver seat.
Dual Zone AC
Leather interiors (Seltos offers leatherette)
panoramic Sunroof (Seltos offers normal small one)
Multi-link rear suspension.

Seltos has many features which these D-segment cars are not providing like - HUD, rear window sunshades, 360 degree camera, ventilated seats, TPMS.

Some cars have unique features like - Tucson has powered and hands-free tailgate, Octavia has auto dimming external mirrors and passenger seat height adjust, auto-adjusting headlights etc. The Compass has the least amount of features among these cars.

The main reasons of going for a D-segment over Seltos are - better build quality, better design (subjective), more luxurious interiors, panoramic sunroof, better NVH, better ride quality (possibly) etc. and of course, exclusivity. However, the price difference is significant which makes it a tough choice. For me, if I am happy with any of the D-segment cars, I will go for those as I have already stretched my budget to 25 lakhs. Seltos is the fallback option for me.

I had booked a Seltos. Then I looked at a bunch of other cars. Settled on Tiguan. Tungsten Silver. Highline.

Here's why:
Seltos is feature rich but the coming Creta will make all its features look last year. Remember most features are not utility features. An attractive package is just that attractive package. The looks don't last. The bling ages very quickly.

Tiguan has the better build quality, more room, a better engine and superior gearbox with proven traction control abilities. The ride is more planted. Have test-driven both. Tiguan will age well. It won't look from the past generation even when the new iteration comes in in a couple of years. It looks modern and the looks will last.

Tiguan is clearly more expensive but European cars do cost more than the Korean ones. It's your money though. Rs 21 lakh is not a small sum. I would have gone for Seltos if was around the Rs 15 lakh price. But Rs 21 lakh for the box, nope

Quote:

Originally Posted by kamakaze (Post 4666214)
I had booked a Seltos. Then I looked at a bunch of other cars. Settled on Tiguan. Tungsten Silver. Highline.

Here's why:
Seltos is feature rich but the coming Creta will make all its features look last year. Remember most features are not utility features. An attractive package is just that attractive package. The looks don't last. The bling ages very quickly.

Tiguan has the better build quality, more room, a better engine and superior gearbox with proven traction control abilities. The ride is more planted. Have test-driven both. Tiguan will age well. It won't look from the past generation even when the new iteration comes in in a couple of years. It looks modern and the looks will last.

Tiguan is clearly more expensive but European cars do cost more than the Korean ones. It's your money though. Rs 21 lakh is not a small sum. I would have gone for Seltos if was around the Rs 15 lakh price. But Rs 21 lakh for the box, nope

Damn! You expressed your feelings better than I could. This is something close to what I am thinking too. Like you said, certain features are nice to have, it’s attractive package - but we wouldn’t miss them. Like another user puts it, it takes few hours to forget it exists.

Congrats!

OT - when is the delivery? If I may ask, what’s the offer you got?

Quote:

Originally Posted by kamakaze (Post 4666214)

Here's why:

Buddy, congratulations on the Tiguan.
However, it is unfair to compare Seltos with Tiguan as the later costs double of the former. Also, Tiguan makes sense only in the Highline version as the comfortline misses out on basic features like keyless entry, push start and reverse camera. Though there are 4-5 lakhs discount, still Tiguan highline is >10 lakhs expensive than the Compass or the Tucson both of which provide more powerful engines. I am not trying to say the Tiguan is a bad choice,just that it's not for me. Having said that, I agree that 20+ lakhs for a Seltos does not make much sense either as I feel the car will age very quickly and the build quality clearly feels a noptch lower than D-segment cars. That's why my preference is right now the Compass or the Tucson.

I have had 2 test drives of the Compass - both the petrol AT and the diesel manual. Both were fairly long test drives over all kinds of road and the compass impressed me with its road manners and build quality. However, I couldn't get a comfortable driving position in the diesel manual after trying all sorts of adjustments. SO, Compass diesel is ruled out. Petrol AT is very smooth and nice when driven in a relaxed manner. But when you want to push the car, there is lot of sound before the car starts moving. Once on the go, the car can go pretty fast. I used the manual mode as well and it does help but there is decent amount of lag in shifting. I would have expected better performance from a dual-clutch gearbox but definitely not bad. The Petrol AT is still in consideration. My family is fine with the rear seat - overall thigh support is good, only issue was the upright backrest angle. All in all, the Compass Petrol AT is still in consideration. I was surprised to know from the sales executive that 40% of the Compass sales are Petrol variant. The Compass would have been so much better with a diesel auto.