Team-BHP - Crossover/SUV for 25 Lakhs: Seltos/Tucson/Compass?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-muvs-4x4s/)
-   -   Crossover/SUV for 25 Lakhs: Seltos/Tucson/Compass? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-muvs-4x4s/213061-crossover-suv-25-lakhs-seltos-tucson-compass-6.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by shrinath_m2 (Post 4666262)
Damn! You expressed your feelings better than I could. This is something close to what I am thinking too. Like you said, certain features are nice to have, it’s attractive package - but we wouldn’t miss them. Like another user puts it, it takes few hours to forget it exists.

Congrats!

OT - when is the delivery? If I may ask, what’s the offer you got?

I hear it's arriving at the yard tonight or tomorrow morning. Delivery on Wednesday. The post-tax cut discount (up to Rs 4.5 lakhs) is applicable only on Comfortline variant. I liked the highline.
I got the regular 1.5 lakh cash discount and another 1.3 L by the dealer. But then big buying decisions are a matter of the heart. And also taste. My current car is a Koleos, also rare on Indian roads. Fabulous otherwise. Hope the new joy lasts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by adimicra (Post 4666407)
I was surprised to know from the sales executive that 40% of the Compass sales are Petrol variant. The Compass would have been so much better with a diesel auto.

Equally, I would have liked to see a petrol version of the Trail-hawk or at least a 4X4 manual :)

My search still continues ... :)

However, I have decided that if I am going to spend 25 Lakhs+, it better be an auto transmission. Compass only has the petrol automatic and frankly, the petrol auto performance is "meh" as GTO rightly said in the official review. In fact, the responsiveness felt similar to a CVT transmission though it is a dual-clutch one. Add to that the smaller interior space and boot space compared to rivals, Compass does not make sense for someone looking for auto transmission in this range. Therefore, I have decided to let it go from my consideration.
Now, it's between the Seltos and Tucson. It seems Tucson is coming with a facelift in a couple of months. So, I am trying to figure out should I be waiting for the facelift. Apart from the hard ride quality, the interiors of the Tucson felt dated and not premium enough for this segment. So, even if the facelift is costlier by 2 Lakhs, it might be a better option as I tend to keep the car for a long time.
And I have kept a strict limit of 30 lakhs for my budget. Tiguan highline costs 34-35 lakhs OTR even after discounts and hence out of my budget. And frankly, I am not too attracted by the Tucson be it the looks or the engine specs to be making a heart-over-head decision.

And yes, the Octavia is still there at the back of my mind. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guna (Post 4666973)
Equally, I would have liked to see a petrol version of the Trail-hawk or at least a 4X4 manual :)

Given the poor performance of the petrol auto, I don't think it makes sense to have a Trail-hawk version. Are you talking about manual?

Quote:

Originally Posted by adimicra (Post 4667633)
It seems Tucson is coming with a facelift in a couple of months. So, I am trying to figure out should I be waiting for the facelift. Apart from the hard ride quality, the interiors of the Tucson felt dated and not premium enough for this segment.

Interior is much better on the Tucson facelift. The only problem is - the facelift will most likely be outdated internationally by the time it gets launched in India - as the fourth generation is already being tested, and should be unveiled early next year.

Crossover/SUV for 25 Lakhs: Seltos/Tucson/Compass?-hyundaitucsonmar201808interior.jpg

Quote:

Which, of course, is coming with a new generation soon, as well. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 4667639)
Interior is much better on the Tucson facelift. The only problem is - the facelift will most likely be outdated internationally by the time it gets launched in India - as the fourth generation is already being tested, and should be unveiled early next year.

Which, of course, is coming with a new generation soon, as well. :D

Thanks for the pic. I like what I see and that's why I would like to wait a little if it comes within a a couple of months. I don't care much about the new version as long as the car has what I am looking for. Also, the newer generation Hyundai SUVs look terrible to me (Venue, IX25 etc). It seems that the new Tucson will have the new design language with a huge grill. It is expected to come in India by 2021. So, no point in waiting for it.

I haven't heard anything about the new generation Octavia coming to India. As per my knowledge, the Skoda Karoq and VW TROC will be launched in India in 2020 (all imports), followed by the India 2.0 cars in 2021 - Kamiq, TCross, Rapid etc. I think the Octavia will be given a mild update by March 2020 along with the new 1.5 TSI engine to comply with the BS6 emissions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by adimicra (Post 4667668)
I haven't heard anything about the new generation Octavia coming to India.

In an interview with Zac Hollis that ACI released today, he does mention about the Octavia - "As soon as possible. As soon as the car is available in Europe. Plan of the moment is to bring the new Octavia". Now can't really put any timelines to it - left to our guesswork on the timelines now. The international launch seems to be happening in November.

Posted the video here

Quote:

My take : Now you have thought so much, you really dont know what else to think! :)

Jokes apart:

- You have lived with a petrol for nearly a decade. So I assume you should be OK with it.
- if petrol is what you want, decide between Seltos and Octy (Decide on SUV vs Sedan, or bling vs solid premium, Kia vs Skoda service). The service is biggest part you may want to check.

- But if you are looking at the diesel, my simple answer to you is: Make the Compass top end diesel 2WD, work for you, rather than finding reasons to reject it.

Quote:

Time then, to bring it right into the limelight and go for it. "You only live once" type of argument is probably befitting here.I do get the feeling that ultimately, the charms of the Octy might be too difficult to resist for you.:uncontrol

Jokes apart, the Hyundai Tuscon facelift interior pic doest look anything great to me, personally speaking. Just a very bland design.

Quote:

Been following this thread for a while and what I feel is you should listen to your heart and go for this. We have an Octavia at home and its done some 70k kms in last 5 years through all kinds of terrains. The Delhi-Meerut route is royally messed up with potholes and worst traffic jam and this car has been on that a hundred times. Other than that my dad and I have driven it through some seriously challenging terrains for such a car with full load and it has hardly bottomed out.
The suspension tuning is fantastic to tackle our roads and the rough road package that comes with the car takes care of the rest. Unless you are looking at some serious off roading you should go ahead with Octavia. Do take a longish test drive so that you can be more confident about your decision.
Regarding the after sales support, there hasn't been any major issues with the car and the service center has supported me despite some annoyances. You can ask me if you have any particular query. All the best.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 4667677)
In an interview with Zac Hollis that ACI released today, he does mention about the Octavia - "As soon as possible. As soon as the car is available in Europe. Plan of the moment is to bring the new Octavia". Now can't really put any timelines to it - left to our guesswork on the timelines now. The international launch seems to be happening in November.

Posted the video here

Thanks for sharing. So, we are probably looking at early 2020 launch. I wonder if they are not able to get the new Octavia by April 2020, will they update the current one with new engines (1.5 TSI)? Since the new car is going to be ready, Skoda might just launch the new car by April 2020.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ampere (Post 4667697)
My take : Now you have thought so much, you really dont know what else to think! :)

Jokes apart:

- You have lived with a petrol for nearly a decade. So I assume you should be OK with it.
- if petrol is what you want, decide between Seltos and Octy (Decide on SUV vs Sedan, or bling vs solid premium, Kia vs Skoda service). The service is biggest part you may want to check.

- But if you are looking at the diesel, my simple answer to you is: Make the Compass top end diesel 2WD, work for you, rather than finding reasons to reject it.

haha.. as you can see on this thread, my thoughts and expectations have evolved in this process.

Right now, I am sure about the following requirements -
About the Compass, I really like the design, build quality and the handling. I am okay with compromising on the space and features but the petrol auto is laggy and lethargic though the specs look good on paper. I can't live with the diesel manual with that long and slightly hard clutch. As I said, i am sure that if I am spending 25+ lakhs, it better be a decent automatic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by arindambasu13 (Post 4667745)
Time then, to bring it right into the limelight and go for it. "You only live once" type of argument is probably befitting here.I do get the feeling that ultimately, the charms of the Octy might be too difficult to resist for you.:uncontrol

Jokes apart, the Hyundai Tuscon facelift interior pic doesnt look anything great to me, personally speaking. Just a very bland design.

It's difficult to say without seeing in person but definitely looks better than the current one. I think Hyundai didn't do a good job with the interiors of the Tucson particularly considering the pricing.
However, the diesel engine is powerful and refined, and the automatic is also good. At a budget of <30 lakhs, it's probably the best diesel automatic available which is it's USP.
I have one more test drive of the Tucson planned this week. Surprisingly, no petrol Auto test drives are available for Tucson in entire Hyderabad (not sure how Hyundai expect people to spend 25-30 lakhs without test drive)

I have a feeling that I might eventually end up buying the Octavia :D
Will need a couple of more test drives of the Tucson and Seltos to decide.

Quote:

Originally Posted by adimicra (Post 4667905)
Right now, I am sure about the following requirements -
  • It has to be a automatic.
  • It should have decent build quality and safety features - 6 airbags is a must along with ABS, EBD, ESP.
  • Petrol or diesel both are fine as long as the refinement and performance are good.
  • Decent ride and handling - I am fine compromising on the handling a bit in favor of ride quality.
  • Features - nothing exceptional, I find all cars in this category have almost all the features I need. I can compromise on sunroof if needed.
  • SUV/crossover preferred mainly due to the high GC. However, if I don't find something which satisfies the above criteria, I might go for a sedan like the Octavia.

If thats the case, take the Compass out of the equation, chose between Seltos and Octavia accordingly. If service is really a concern, then no brainer, Seltos (Imagine this 1.4 Turbo + DCT, same as compass and lighter than Compass). If service is good and you are OK with sedan then Octy no doubt!

I also guess all of us are giving the Seltos lesser credit than what it deserves. Simply because we are comparing it against higher segment products.

Quote:

If you're comfortable with sedans, check out the Passat. The connect edition models are priced really well for whats on offer (there are also massive discounts on the car) and I feel that the car is one heck of a package. It has all the requisite bells and whistles, feels solid, has a capable engine/auto transmission combination, a sumptuous well appointed interior and would feel light years ahead of all options (including the Octavia) mentioned here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by adimicra (Post 4667905)

However, if I don't find something which satisfies the above criteria, I might go for a sedan like the Octavia.
About the Compass, I really like the design, build quality and the handling. I am okay with compromising on the space and features but the petrol auto is laggy and lethargic though the specs look good on paper.
I have a feeling that I might eventually end up buying the Octavia :D

Buddy, If JC Petrol auto felt laggy and lethargic to you which has the best roll on figures and very impressive 0-100 as well , You have to get Octavia ! Period. No other car this side of 25 lacs ( excluding hot hatches ) will be more fun to drive. It is my first love. Octy 1.8 that is. One day will buy a vRS. Do not consider Seltos which is defintely a segment below than these and will not impress in terms of sheer build / driving dynamics / snob value.

Go for Octavia, Man!

^
VW is not even selling Passat any more. :)

By the way, I had a couple of test drives of Seltos GTX DCT and came back throughly impressed. The 1.4 turbo petrol DCT is refined and responsive and has enough punch to keep the enthusiasts happy. This was such a relief for me after the disappointing performance of the Compass 1.4 DDCT. Overall, Kia Seltos is such a complete package - very good ride quality, feature rich and premium interiors. I could not find much to fault really (apart from the too much bling in the design) For someone looking at a compact automatic SUV at 20 lakhs (or even 25 lakhs), it will be hard to ignore the Seltos. More details in my post on the Seltos thread - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4668448

I am 90% sure it's going to be Seltos - thinking to go for GTX or GTX+. I don't care for the small sunroof or other gimmicky features in the GTX+ but the electric and ventilated seats are pushing me towards the GTX+. The problem is that the GTX has full black interiors which I loved. I don't know why Kia went for a beige-black interiors in the top end GTX+.

I said 90% and not 100% because I have not ruled out the Octavia. The Skoda dealer told me that Skoda has discontinued the 1.8 style variant and they are launching a special ONYX edition. The dealer said the details should be available within a couple of days. I have decided to wait for the ONYX edition (features/price) before making a final call. Unless Skoda springs a surpise in terms of the pricing, I will for for the Seltos and save 3.5 - 4 lakhs. So, I will have a decision within a week. Finally, it's coming to a close :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by adimicra (Post 4668992)
By the way, I had a couple of test drives of Seltos GTX DCT and came back throughly impressed. The 1.4 turbo petrol DCT is refined and responsive and has enough punch to keep the enthusiasts happy. This was such a relief for me after the disappointing performance of the Compass 1.4 DDCT. Overall, Kia Seltos is such a complete package - very good ride quality, feature rich and premium interiors. I could not find much to fault really (apart from the too much bling in the design)

Good to note! This was what I would have expected, especially given there is a weight advantage on Seltos against the Compass for the same Engine / power specs.

Given your needs, if you filter out subtlety of premium finish for Skoda, I think you pretty much lean on the Kia.

So summary end of the day: Kia or something else? Petrol AT ? None. Diesels: Look elsewhere.