Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 16th October 2019, 10:24   #106
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Crossover/SUV for 25 Lakhs: Seltos/Tucson/Compass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilZombie View Post
Congratulations on your new ride. I have long contemplated getting a Vento as I just love the way she looks and rides, but sadly a bit out of my league for now. Interesting color choice by the way, do share pics and your ownership experience.

came here to suggest a new option from the stables of Hyundai, but considering you've made a choice, and a great one at that, I'll hold my tongue
Thanks a lot. Please fee free to suggest. For buyers like me, I hope this thread helps them to make a decision or confuses them even more

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbits View Post
That's a major reason why i never wanted to even visit them. Buying is one experience and after sales is an all together a different one. With nobody else to go to you will be stuck if you have a disagreement with them on any service bill, warranty part replacement, accident repair, misdiagnosis, shoddy service etc. You will have to visit them unwillingly through out your entire ownership period. As a customer that's not a situation i would want to be in. Same applies to all other manufacturers with a single dealer in a city. Wonder what the German trio owners do in Hyderabad when they have a problem with the ASS.
Multiple options of ASS really help because each one is ready to get your business if the other does not satisfy you.
Yes, totally agreed. VW/Skoda has to make sure they have multiple dealers in the bigger citites at least. I guess all the 3/4 VW dealerships in Hyderabad are also owned by PPS Motors. But, the dealers' attitude was very different - they were eager to sell the cars and there was competition among dealerships.

Since I have taken so many test drives for the last few weeks, summarizing my thoughts below for quick reference.

Compass
Plus: Great design/looks, build quality, handling, performance (diesel)
Cons: Petrol auto is poor, less space and features (particularly mid-variants), even boot is very small

Tucson:
Pros: Excellent diesel engine+auto - best performance in segment, looks good, Hyundai trusted brand
Cons: Bland interiors does not feel premium, top variant expensive, other variants lack several features, hard ride quality, handling so-so.

Tiguan:
Pros: Great build, quality interiors, fully loaded top variant. good ride, excellent handling
Cons: Just adequate performance, mid-variant misses some basic features, exterior design is bland

Conclusion:
Frankly, there is no good package in the 25-30 Lakh crossover segment. For example in the D-segment sedans, we have the Octavia which offers a complete package - looks, quality, features and performance. But there is no 'Octavia' for the D-segment SUV/crossover, which is sad. I would recommend the Jeep Compass diesel for someone who wants a driver-oriented car in this segment (compromise on auto and space/practicality). Or, if you can stretch over 30 Lakhs, the Tiguan highline is a good choice (if the design works for you). Otherwise, save some money and buy the Seltos - it is a great package (though long waiting periods).

For me, I have to replace my Jazz after 2-3 years (it is in the 10th year of running), though the car is in great condition. By that time, I am hoping we will have more options in this segment. Manufacturers should expect the volumes will increase in this segment as current buyers of C-segment SUVs (Cretas) will look for upgrade,. So, they should manufacture locally to keep the prices down and offer good value-for-money (which is not the case now).

Last edited by adimicra : 16th October 2019 at 10:27.
Old 25th October 2019, 01:56   #107

Default Family guy needs advice on buying a 25-30 lakh car

Hello All,

After being a mute spectator on this forum for close to 6 years now, I finally decided to apply for the membership. I am just thrilled that it got approved. As for a quick introduction, I am Tushar, 37, living in Bombay (now Mumbai) employed with an investment bank in the financial technology field. I completed my Electronics Engineering from VJTI in 2004 and have always been passionate about engines and electronics. I am also a keen aquarist and have been keeping multiple aquariums for about 25 years now. I also consider myself an audiophile (intermediate) and own a fairly large collection of music systems.

We have a Maruti Swift ZXI and a Hyundai Viva 1.6 ABS in the family. The Red Viva, which is my daily ride, is in its 17th year of ownership and has still runs flawlessly with ODO at 1.7 lakh KMs. Anyway enough said.

The reason for this post is the predicament I am in today. I need a car urgently, and its a classic case of head over heart. I have been following various car threads on this forum diligently since many months now and feel like I am going around in circles when it comes to deciding on a car. I also searched any previous threads on this topic, however the requirements are either different or the thread was more than a few years old.

I have a budget of 25-30 lakhs. The last monsoon season in Bombay wasn't the easiest on my car and exposed a lot of weaknesses ranging from safety issues to water leaks.

So here are my requirements -

- Reliable Automatic (for those traffic jams which seem to happen even at midnight nowadays)

- Rear seat space and comfort (Wife and kids deserve better on the broken so-called roads)

- SUV (Preferred, due to unpredictable water logging on the roads)
- 7 seater (Preferred, as parents may join us on those weekend drives).
- Sunroof (I know and I am not arguing with my wife on this one)
- Mileage > 8kmpl

FYI, I am an Octavia TSI kind of guy. Test drive was brilliant, heart is set on it, but doesn't meet the priorities at this stage in life. I have two kids (6 and 1 year old) and need to embrace the family mindset now.

I have so far considered the below -
Tucson Diesel AWD
Powerful and refined diesel, drives nice, rear seat is OK and has a high window line. Interiors OK as well for this segment. New model expected soon and not much discounts being given (just 1.25L). Wife wasn't impressed in rear seat. I also found the ride quality to be slightly on the firmer side.

Jeep Compass Petrol AT
Drives nice, slow gear shifts, turbo lag, thirsty engine, cramped back seat. Minuscule discounts for the top end (25K).

Kia Seltos DCT
Loaded with features, drives nice too however cramped rear seat. KIA ASS not proven.

Hector DCT
Lots of space and features. For some reason the DCT is not able to read my mind. MG ASS not proven. However I must mention family was impressed with the bling. My daughter couldn't get over the 'Hello MG' thing. I have my doubts though and am hesitant to trust a new brand too.

XUV 500 / Innova / [even] Creta - Wifey is not approving the looks.

Endeavour 3.2 AT
I know its out of my budget, still tested it. Loved it. Ticks all the requirements, but find it too big for Mumbai city. Ingress egress for kids and parents will be difficult, if not impossible. Not much discounts too.

VW Tiguan
Drives nice, fast gearbox, feature loaded. Loved the car to be honest. Only a 5 seater and discounts are only on the confortline variant, so out of my budget. And thus misses some of my requirements. Also few of friends have owned VW in the past and found the maintenance on the higher side in the long run. Another factor is Skoda taking over the VW brand operations in India. Not sure what that means in the longer term.

Honda CRV Diesel AT AWD
Test drive was good. Premium interiors and wife approved it. I am aware of the power deficit, however the paper specs need to be taken with a pinch of salt. The AT box masks the power deficit quite brilliantly. City driving felt good. Highway driving might be OK though. AWD is always good to have for those 'kaccha' farm roads. This one seems to tick the boxes. I am getting a discount of 7.5 lakhs on the top variant. So essentially 32 lakhs on-road in Mumbai. However I found the diesel clatter at idle slightly bothersome. For some reason, I am not used to driving a diesel SUV and it was a bit disorienting. I have always been a petrol guy. Are all diesels like these? The other test cars were not driven in B2B traffic (part of test route) except this one. Still tempted to go for the CRV. Do you think it is a good buy @ 32 lakhs?

P.S. I drive about 1000KMs per month and my city:highway spread is 70:30. For those of you familiar with the Mumbai suburbs, I commute frequently between Hiranandani, Powai to Vasai which is about 55kms one way. Even though the route goes through an Express Highway and NH8 (now NH48), the traffic conditions will surely ruin your mood in peak hours.

I would really appreciate any help in making my decision.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 25th October 2019 at 01:59. Reason: Spacing
TheCatalyst is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 07:02   #108
BHPian

Default Re: Family guy needs advice on buying a 25-30 lakh car

Have you test-driven/considered the Hexa XTA?
Or does it come in the XUV 500 / Innova / Creta category?

It does not come with a factory-fitted sunroof (though available as a dealer option) and would save you quite a bit of money. Plus not being a best seller, it does have some "Exclusivity" too.
sachinayak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 07:59   #109
BHPian

You have mentioned that you need a 7 seater for occasional use when your parents would be visiting but almost all the cars that you have shortlisted are pure 5 seaters. Also the Endeavour and the CRV are way above your budget. I would have suggested you the Hexa XTA too just like Sachin has but please check if your wife approves of its looks. If she finds it ok then I think the Hexa matches all your criteria and also with the current discounts, will be available for around 21 lakh OTR.

Another SUV worth waiting for will be the Cassini which is launching in a few months time. It is basically a 7 seater version of the Harrier. It will come with the Tuscon's automatic gearbox and 170 hp tune as the Hector. But the last row of seats is not as comfortable as the Hexa for sure. But for occasional use it should be fine. And regarding sunroof, the Cassini is expected to get one but not sure if it will be available at launch.
ram87pune is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 08:19   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCatalyst View Post
Hello All,

I have a budget of 25-30 lakhs.

FYI, I am an Octavia TSI kind of guy. Test drive was brilliant, heart is set on it, but doesn't meet the priorities at this stage in life.
You are in the same boat as I was in 6 months back. However, my SUV purchase story , as an upgrade to my Skoda Rapid 1.6 TDI, ended up with buying Octavia 1.8 TSI.

In short my priorities were
1. Quick acceleration
2. Automatic but not sluggish
3. Premium interiors
4. Smile on my face while driving on highways

I also had the same budget. However, i didn't find anything available at that point in time to be value for money. Please note Hector and Seltos weren't launched back in early 2019. But in hindsight I may not have bought Hector anyway.

I checked out the following
1. Hexa XTA - awesome car but ruled out due to brand image, noise / vibration filtering into the cabin
2. Compass limited plus automatic - tooo sluggish gearbox. Trailhawk, I feel, is not value for money.
3. Hyundai Tucson - bland interiors for a 30 lac + car. Plus rumours that a refreshed version is coming soon
4. Harrier - no automatic and NVH issues
5. Creta - didn't feel like an upgrade to my Rapid. Rapid felt quicker
6. Innova - great car for a 35+ family man but is this the car I want to buy during the last stages of internal combustion engine lifecycle?

There were no other "value for money" SUVs in 25-30 lac (on road) bracket.

Then after getting 'wow' ed by Octavia TSI, I revisited my decision to buy SUV. Do I really need that extra ground clearance or can I take some precautions and live with a much better engine + gearbox which would put a smile on my face.
Maybe you too should try to address that question if you really need a 7 seater SUV. I realised that I will be using ,those 2 extra seats when I'm travelling to my hometown and couple of additional passengers are there along with me and my family. But the flip side is if I use those seats for passengers, there will not be enough space for luggage of all 7 passengers. So basically you end up using your 7 seater large SUV as a 5 seater with large boot space.

Do let us know your decisions and all the best for your car purchase journey
Lambydude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 08:24   #111
Senior - BHPian

If you even considered the Endeavour,at a similar price you should really look at the Kodiaq. It is a brilliant SUV and will tick all the boxes for your requirement.

The other option would be for you to wait for the MG Hector with 7 seats and I am pretty sure they will launch the diesel auto along with the BS VI line of engines. This will surely be priced in the 25 lakhs OTR range.

Tucson is a good family SUV but it is a little old now and will be replaced soon. You do not get the 7 seat option.

Hexa is a good buy now but,talks are that it will not survive post April 2020. The fit and finish is good and if you do not mind the car being phased out, this the car that will save you a load of cash too.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 09:32   #112
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
- Reliable Automatic (for those traffic jams which seem to happen even at midnight nowadays)

- Rear seat space and comfort (Wife and kids deserve better on the broken so-called roads)

- SUV (Preferred, due to unpredictable water logging on the roads)
- 7 seater (Preferred, as parents may join us on those weekend drives).
If its okay and you did consider Tiguan/Tucson, you may also look at Jeep Compass Trailhawk. Good water wading capability, AT, decent GC.

Then there is the Kodiaq with 7 seats. If power isn't your priority, than CR-V does make sense, especially post discounts and that too in AWD format. Honda engines are way smoother, but in petrols, as far as diesels go, I would prefer a H [Hyundai] over a H [Honda].

Endeavor 3.2 is a winner on all counts and traffic will part away seeing it.

You can always rent a Hexa/Innova when you need those 7 seats or if any one else at your home drives, you can take 2 cars [we do this].
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 09:33   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I would really appreciate any help in making my decision.
This is not a strong contender but worth considering at least: Did you consider Mitsubishi Outlander? Considering that they are not able to sell it at the current price, there could be some huge discounts available. Refinement level and the drive must be superior to even Honda CRV in-spite of being a CVT.
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 10:37   #114
Senior - BHPian

@lambydude - I see your requirements and it appears to me that you want almost everything in the 25-30L budget - performance, autobox, premium interiors, 7 seats etc etc. I would advise you to decide what is really important for you otherwise your search is just going to go in endless loops without a decision. I have been through a similar exercise just a few weeks back and therefore, I understand your situation. When one is upgrading and willing to spend double the amount or more of his/her current car, there is an expectation that you will get all you want. Unfortunately, that't not the case and so it is extremely important to understand what is compromisable and what is not. Cheers and best of luck!
adimicra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 11:16   #115
Distinguished - BHPian

Why is no one considering the Mahindra Alturas? It is within the 30L price bracket and offers an exhaustive feature list. And it also seats 7. I am yet to hear a negative comment on the car apart from the badge but then Mahindra has come a long way from its old days of niggles.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 12:26   #116
BHPian

Test-drove it when it was launched and didn't enjoy it. Maybe an option if you are driven in it. Also the demo vehicle (a new one) was not maintained well and the stitches seem to be coming off. I discarded it as an issue as it was dealers fault but as a self-driver it was a no for me. Tbf drive Santa Fe which is monocoque so will not like body-on-frame ones.
Old 25th October 2019, 15:51   #117
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I drive about 1000KMs per month and my city:highway spread is 70:30.
I think you've pretty much made your decision here i.e. Honda CR-V !
With its car like mannerism & good ride quality it will be easier to drive around rather than a bulky SUV especially in stressful Mumbai traffic. Your kids will certainly be comfortable in the 3rd row of seats rather than an adult. You can opt for extended warranty for peace of mind.
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 17:47   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
@lambydude - I see your requirements and it appears to me that you want almost everything in the 25-30L budget - performance, autobox, premium interiors, 7 seats etc etc.!
I guess you were replying to The catalyst. I never wanted 7 seats and I ended up buying Octavia.
Old 25th October 2019, 22:59   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
Have you test-driven/considered the Hexa XTA?
Or does it come in the XUV 500 / Innova / Creta category?

Yes, it does come in that category. I think Hexa is the most 'value for money' offering in the TATA stable, however not all people in the household agree. I only get one vote I am afraid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
Also the Endeavour and the CRV are way above your budget.

Another SUV worth waiting for will be the Cassini which is launching in a few months time. It is basically a 7 seater version of the Harrier.

Thank you for your inputs. To be honest, I only test drove the Endeavour hoping for large discounts on the BS4 engine. Unfortunately, I was offered mere 50K discount for the top model. That is way out of my budget. I have only considered the CRV due to the 7.5L discount, making the top model 32L on road. Otherwise it is exorbitantly overpriced by Honda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambydude View Post
You are in the same boat as I was in 6 months back. However, my SUV purchase story , as an upgrade to my Skoda Rapid 1.6 TDI, ended up with buying Octavia 1.8 TSI.

Thanks @Lambydude. The only reason for opting for an SUVish car this time is unpredictable water logging on the city roads. There were quite a few cloud burst instances this season and it gave me a serious anxiety stuck in B2B traffic in a sedan/hatchback. Otherwise Octavia would have been the obvious choice. Also I get vetoed down the moment I mention 'Pedal to the Metal' or 'Top Speed' specs in the family. That being said, I am also considering compromising on a few things now and maybe couple of years down the line, pick up a used Octavia 1.4 manual as a second car to satisfy the driver in me. That may also help the BS6 transition blow over the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
If you even considered the Endeavour,at a similar price you should really look at the Kodiaq. It is a brilliant SUV and will tick all the boxes for your requirement.

The other option would be for you to wait for the MG Hector with 7 seats and I am pretty sure they will launch the diesel auto along with the BS VI line of engines. This will surely be priced in the 25 lakhs OTR range.

Thanks @Arjun Reddy. As mentioned, I only considered it hoping to get year end/BS4 discounts. I did consider the Hector briefly, however only the diesel variant makes sense and that is not available with an automatic. On the contrary, a heavy clutch.

Kodiaq, is a wonderful product, however comes to around 38-40L after discounts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
This is not a strong contender but worth considering at least: Did you consider Mitsubishi Outlander?
Thanks @Guna. I have seen few of those around in Mumbai and love them, however Mitsubishi ASS is scattered. Even though I love my cars to be temperamental in nature, I simply do not have the resources at this stage to troubleshoot any issues with two kids in tow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
I understand your situation. When one is upgrading and willing to spend double the amount or more of his/her current car, there is an expectation that you will get all you want. Unfortunately, that't not the case and so it is extremely important to understand what is compromisable and what is not. Cheers and best of luck!

Thanks @adimicra. I have come to realise that there is no 'Octavia' equivalent in the SUV category. . I should have upgraded years ago, the only reason being I loved taking care of the Red Viva through thick and thin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Why is no one considering the Mahindra Alturas? It is within the 30L price bracket and offers an exhaustive feature list

Thanks @drmohitg. I am a bit averse to the big players like the Fortuner and the Endeavour due to their size. Mumbai as a city has got extremely congested in the last 5 years. Also ingress/egress is an issue for family. I only tested Endeavour as I have had a soft corner for it, but scared due to the sheer size and city drivability. Maybe huge discounts are a pipe dream too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
I think you've pretty much made your decision here i.e. Honda CR-V !
With its car like mannerism & good ride quality it will be easier to drive around rather than a bulky SUV especially in stressful Mumbai traffic. Your kids will certainly be comfortable in the 3rd row of seats rather than an adult.

Thank you @PPS. Yes it does tick the boxes and is one of the contender. However I will have to stretch my budget a bit even after 7.5L discount. I was also hoping for the new Tucson or Cassini, looks like they will launch next year.

Thank you all for the inputs. I am really surprised there is no all-rounder near the 30L price.
TheCatalyst is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2019, 09:21   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambydude View Post
I guess you were replying to The catalyst. I never wanted 7 seats and I ended up buying Octavia.
Sorry buddy, you are right

Quote:
Thanks @adimicra. I have come to realise that there is no 'Octavia' equivalent in the SUV category. . I should have upgraded years ago, the only reason being I loved taking care of the Red Viva through thick and thin.
This is what I had written earlier -
"Conclusion:
Frankly, there is no good package in the 25-30 Lakh crossover segment. For example in the D-segment sedans, we have the Octavia which offers a complete package - looks, quality, features and performance. But there is no 'Octavia' for the D-segment SUV/crossover, which is sad. I would recommend the Jeep Compass diesel for someone who wants a driver-oriented car in this segment (compromise on auto and space/practicality). Or, if you can stretch over 30 Lakhs, the Tiguan highline is a good choice (if the design works for you). Otherwise, save some money and buy the Seltos - it is a great package (though long waiting periods)."

Anyways, if you are happy with CRV performance, please go ahead. For me, performance was a top priority. So, I didn't go for it.
These are the questions to ask yourself - do you need 7 seats? do you need SUV? what are the top 3 priorities in your new car?

If you have time, wait for the SKoda Karoq which will be launched by mid-2020. It will be the 'Octavia' of the SUV segment. I didn't have that much time, otherwise I would have waited.

Most Viewed