Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2020, 11:14   #136

Re: Crossover/SUV for 25 Lakhs: Seltos/Tucson/Compass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adithya.kp View Post
Nice thread. One of my friends has similar requirements. He wants to keep a low profile and hence doesn't want to buy any luxury car. He is looking at 5 seater D segment sedans and SUVs. Ruled out Compass, Hector and Harrier since they dont appeal to him. Ruled out D2 segment sedans since they are bulky. Civic and CRV are out due to engine options. Altis is out since it looks old. So he is left with only 4 options.
1. Elantra 2.0 SX (O) AT : Concerns. The least selling in the segment. That too after the face lift.
2. Octavia 1.8 TSI L&K : Concerns. Beige interiors.
3. Tucson GLS 2WD AT Petrol : Concerns. Interiors not impressive.
4. Tiguan Highline TDI: Concerns. No petrol option. Noisy engine?
Would appreciate any input.
Why not a second look at Harrier? The new updated one has everything one would probably want at that price point. A panoramic sunroof and auto box may change his mind.
Turbospool83 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2020, 11:25   #137
BHPian

Re: Crossover/SUV for 25 Lakhs: Seltos/Tucson/Compass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adithya.kp View Post
Nice thread. One of my friends has similar requirements. He wants to keep a low profile and hence doesn't want to buy any luxury car. He is looking at 5 seater D segment sedans and SUVs. Ruled out Compass, Hector and Harrier since they dont appeal to him. Ruled out D2 segment sedans since they are bulky. Civic and CRV are out due to engine options. Altis is out since it looks old. So he is left with only 4 options.
1. Elantra 2.0 SX (O) AT : Concerns. The least selling in the segment. That too after the face lift.
2. Octavia 1.8 TSI L&K : Concerns. Beige interiors.
3. Tucson GLS 2WD AT Petrol : Concerns. Interiors not impressive.
4. Tiguan Highline TDI: Concerns. No petrol option. Noisy engine?
Would appreciate any input.
Why not wait for the new crop of SUVs shown in auto expo? Like probably 10 months down you'd have the awesome Karoq, T-Roc, new Creta, few more Kia, and all of them with better tech and bs6 engines.

Out of the current list of yours, I would buy Octavia and get an interior cleaning package with 3M or something every 6 months. It'll survive well.
And I will laugh (not smile) every time I drive that thing. It is a driver's favourite.
shrinath_m2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2020, 18:29   #138
BHPian

Heartiest congratulations on your purchase. The Honda CR-V looks great in person. Those Multi segmental headlights are a beauty to behold. My boss has it and I ogle at it everyday. Looking forward to a fantastic ownership review from your side.
Old 6th September 2020, 22:54   #139
BHPian

Compass Petrol AT vs Diesel vs Hyundai Tuscon

Hi guys,

Hope everyone is keeping safe during COVID times!

After 7 years of good reliable use, my Fluence E4 is retiring. My entire family loved each and every day of using it. I am looking for a good AT experience. So far, I have test driven the MG Hector - rejected due to poor fit and finish and response lag.

Drove the Compass 4x4 Diesel and 4x2 - Family likes the car. I am worried about the long term reliability and FCA being around in the coming years. Don't want to be stuck with a rock bottom resale value after spending 30L.

Tucson diesel 4x4 - I drove it, and quite liked it, especially the overall updated trim compared to a rather old equipment list of the Compass eg: Missing LED head lamps, and other lamps, an outdated low-resolution ICE, overall sound quality, a larger turning radius, and a lot of sensors. I'm not sure after 3 or 4 years whether there will be faults. I also saw a ranking report where Jeep is ranked at 14 whereas Tucson is at 7.

Jeep is offering a 1.5L discount, and the Tucson comes with no discounts. Are we expecting any new launches or updates? All suggestions are welcome. Thanks again.

Last edited by Aditya : 7th September 2020 at 05:35. Reason: Typos, punctuaion; Tuscan changed to Tucson
Old 6th September 2020, 23:37   #140
BHPian

Re: Compass Petrol AT vs Diesel vs Hyundai Tuscon

Hello. Hope you & loved ones are safe and doing good.

Few humble suggestions from my side:

1) Upcoming launches- New gen Tucson has already been teased globally. Though it might be quite some time before that comes to our shore. You can read details here:https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4822529 (4th-gen Hyundai Tucson spotted in South Korea)

2) Hyundai is planning to launch 7 seat Longwheelbase Creta here in our market. Should be here early next year if you can wait. You can read details here: https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...ue-name-417758

3) If 5 seater SUV with premium interior feel is the need- then you can look at Skoda Karoq for a premium experience.

4) Creta/Seltos- Worth to give a look but not really an upgrade from a D-segment sedan like Fluence when it comes to fit and finish. Same goes for TATA Harrier

5) VW T-Roc- It is compact and much smaller but may give the regular VW premium feel, though from reports it has quite a lot of hard plastics.

I am also in the same boat as you. Family wants to upgrade from 2013 Elantra but SUVs below Tucson are not catching the their fancy especially from interior quality point of view. They seem to love all the new gizmos in Seltos/Creta but are not feeling a lot of upgrade from current Elantra. Though, myself personally love the new Creta and its design
AMG1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2020, 23:50   #141
BHPian

Considering your ownership of a Renault for 7 years, I can safely assume that you too own cars for longer periods. If you have gone through Renault for so many years then FCA should be no different. The future of FCA is unpredictable especially due to the Pandemic now. They are relying only on one Product and do not see any efforts by them to launch any other soon. With growing competition and home grown companies getting better with every passing year, such single product international brands will find themself in a tight situation to continue their business.

With your budget, why not look for the Alturas? It is a luxurious product and well priced. It is a segment higher than the Compass and you will have to shell out a fair bit more. However, there are mouth watering discounts on Alturas currently. Compass is a brilliant SUV and your family will love it's ride quality as well. Only worry is the ambiguous future of FCA in India.

Other cars which you may look for are Hexa, Crysta and Harrier. They may save a lot more money at the start and you shall have full support of the company till you wish to keep them. However, none can give you the pleasure of driving as much as a Compass.

Wild card entry would be the VW Troc and Skoda Kodiaq. Premium products with higher maintenance.

Last edited by VWAllstar : 6th September 2020 at 23:56.
VWAllstar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 00:28   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG1 View Post
Hello. Hope you & loved ones are safe and doing good.

Few humble suggestions from my side:

1) Upcoming launches- New gen Tucson has already been teased globally. Though it might be quite some time before that comes to our shore. You can read details here:https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4822529 (4th-gen Hyundai Tucson spotted in South Korea)

2) Hyundai is planning to launch 7 seat Longwheelbase Creta here in our market. Should be here early next year if you can wait. You can read details here: https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...ue-name-417758

3) If 5 seater SUV with premium interior feel is the need- then you can look at Skoda Karoq for a premium experience.

4) Creta/Seltos- Worth to give a look but not really an upgrade from a D-segment sedan like Fluence when it comes to fit and finish. Same goes for TATA Harrier

5) VW T-Roc- It is compact and much smaller but may give the regular VW premium feel, though from reports it has quite a lot of hard plastics.

I am also in the same boat as you. Family wants to upgrade from 2013 Elantra but SUVs below Tucson are not catching the their fancy especially from interior quality point of view. They seem to love all the new gizmos in Seltos/Creta but are not feeling a lot of upgrade from current Elantra. Though, myself personally love the new Creta and its design
1) Thats great, so this vehicle will totally be overhauled in 6 months to 10 months assuming the new Tuscon comes here by early second quarter of 2021. With covid and a poor market, not sure whether the delays will be longers. Also seeing the Tuscon today for test drive, looked to me as a well updated vehicle. Black interiors, good LED lights all around, excellent music system, proximity open powered boot, and nice not so low panoramic sun roof. I am liking the reliability that am hearing of Hyundai vs Jeep. Really enjoyed driving the 4x4 compass though.

2) Thats a wonderful info, I am good with a 5 seater, we also have a medium sized dog so felt the Hyundai boot is reasonably sized.

3) Skoda Karoq, seems quite expensive for my budget. I am trying to stick below 30. Nice car, somehow a bit worried about resale value as well as not being vfm being a full import.

4) Yes saw Seltos & Creta, both area pass, due to cramped second raw. I would really like an airy cabin. However will drive Seltos GT line to actually see the AT performance and the Turbo petrol engine combination.

5) Saw T-Roc - Nice premium feel but the vehicle now is out of stock in Bangalore and the sales rep said, all units alloted are sold. May be another dealership might have it. Looks like limited numbers were imported and all are sold out now.

Honda seems to be offering discounts now. I saw on their website almost 2.5L discount on Honda Civic, its a sedan though. But yeah would show the family and see what they think.

I want to take a look at Harrier, I have owned a 2.2 Dicor Safari for again 10 years, and the experience was awesome. Got an excellent resale value too. In the new avatar - Harrier might have some fit and finish issues, but yeah looks like a middle road with stability of various decision parameters like - parts, maintenance, LR platform, sun roof, airbags, stability programs etc.

I didn't find the Alturas' design appealing enough. Plus, it's over-sized for city use. It's a personal opinion though. Build quality wise, I think I would definitely prefer a German, Japanese, Korean or European vehicle. I totally understand that that straight away shrinks the available options.

Last edited by vb-saan : 8th September 2020 at 12:48. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged, and typo: Tucsan -> Tucson
Old 7th September 2020, 02:48   #143
BHPian

FCA + diesel doesn't sound good from resale point of view. A decade from now, diesels won't have any resale advantage, considering the global push towards a cleaner environment.
Even today, sale of diesel cars has come down drastically. Not just in India but in UK and Europe too. North America has always been a Petrol continent.

But, if you want to buy a diesel for torquey performance then its upto you to choose between the fun of a torquey engine and resale. Then, Harrier AT would be my choice. No doubt, diesels are so much addictive to drive at speeds below 100.

Coming to Car choices, I would say stay away from Compass. All these years, Jeep has just this car below 30 lacs. Also, no news about upcoming models. It will be a gamble to go with a Jeep at this time. You never know when they pull the shutter down. Although, like diesel, its petrol AT is fun to drive.

Tucson - I don't think the new one is coming in the next 1-1.5 years, considering the facelift is launched just a couple of months ago. Current one has an average petrol engine and interiors for the segment. Also, if you buy now, it will become an older gen in a year or two, thus affecting resale later on.

My choice would be VW T-Roc.
Its fresh, has good petrol engine, nice interiors, is good safety wise, and has good space for a 5 seater. And, it will save you atleast 5 lacs.
Mynameis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 06:27   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroom77 View Post
I think I would definitely prefer a German, Japanese, Korean or European vehicle.
Why don’t you consider the Innova, CRV & Fortuner, since you value long term reliability? If you’re willing to consider petrol automatics, the CRV CVT & Fortuner AT are priced similarly to the Tucson AWD.

Also, do you really need AWD for city use? Apart from having another thing to break, the maintenance costs for an AWD/4WD vehicle are higher compared to its equivalent 2WD counterpart, for eg. you need to change all 4 tyres at the same time on AWD vehicles to prevent damaging the drivetrain (balanced traction). See this link below https://www.lesschwab.com/article/re...d-vehicle.html

For the CRV, you can get a glimpse of the 10yr/100,000km expected fixed service costs (excluding wear & tear parts) to better plan your yearly maintenance expenses. See this link https://www.hondacarindia.com/honda-...tofmaintenance

Good luck spending your hard earned money & choose wisely.
ChoosetoCruze is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 21:39   #145
BHPian

I went to test drive compass today 4x4 diesel top trim. First thing I noticed as I was getting into the driver seat was the seat base cover where the 8 way electronic adjusted seat switches are mounted had come out. On enquiring it was told that during the previous test drive someones leg hit the sides and it came out. I was surprised of the reliability of an off-roader that too interiors. During rides there was creaking noise from the front dash and from the roof that reminded me of Tata Safari when we purchased during 2007. So with everyone's inputs, and overall quality levels at the initial phases itself, compass is dropped from the list.

Took a test drive of Tucson petrol and really liked it with the 2L engine. Even if its a torque converter. With petrol 5 years warranty and new LED lights, infinity audio system, 18 inch tires, Hyundai reliability, panoramic sunroof, front and rear sensors it felt good. FE is mentioned as 10km/litre on petrol and 12 with diesel. Quite low compared to Safari or Fluence. But I guess for the quality and being an automatic its understood. No discounts whatsoever, not even exchange bonus. I read in news that festive season is up and discounts should follow in the coming months.

Tomorrow Harrier comes and they are offering good discounts. Kind of close to a Lakh or so. On road also a 5L difference. So far I didnt like the fiat engine with DDCT of Jeep and have heard that Tata has mated the transmission really well.

Need to take a test drive and see where Harrier stands in comparison with Tucson. Then its a final call.

CRV I will test drive as well. Fortuner interiors I dont like much, plus the hefty size. Its the same thing with Innova as well. So far I found Tuscan decent enough, with no turbo involved 2L petrol mil seems to perform quite well. Its 0-100km seems to be around 10 secs as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mynameis View Post
FCA + diesel doesn't sound good from resale point of view. A decade from now, diesels won't have any resale advantage, considering the global push towards a cleaner environment.
Even today, sale of diesel cars has come down drastically. Not just in India but in UK and Europe too. North America has always been a Petrol continent.

But, if you want to buy a diesel for torquey performance then its upto you to choose between the fun of a torquey engine and resale. Then, Harrier AT would be my choice. No doubt, diesels are so much addictive to drive at speeds below 100.

Coming to Car choices, I would say stay away from Compass. All these years, Jeep has just this car below 30 lacs. Also, no news about upcoming models. It will be a gamble to go with a Jeep at this time. You never know when they pull the shutter down. Although, like diesel, its petrol AT is fun to drive.

Tucson - I don't think the new one is coming in the next 1-1.5 years, considering the facelift is launched just a couple of months ago. Current one has an average petrol engine and interiors for the segment. Also, if you buy now, it will become an older gen in a year or two, thus affecting resale later on.

My choice would be VW T-Roc.
Its fresh, has good petrol engine, nice interiors, is good safety wise, and has good space for a 5 seater. And, it will save you atleast 5 lacs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoosetoCruze View Post
Why don’t you consider the Innova, CRV & Fortuner, since you value long term reliability? If you’re willing to consider petrol automatics, the CRV CVT & Fortuner AT are priced similarly to the Tucson AWD.

Also, do you really need AWD for city use? Apart from having another thing to break, the maintenance costs for an AWD/4WD vehicle are higher compared to its equivalent 2WD counterpart, for eg. you need to change all 4 tyres at the same time on AWD vehicles to prevent damaging the drivetrain (balanced traction). See this link below https://www.lesschwab.com/article/re...d-vehicle.html

For the CRV, you can get a glimpse of the 10yr/100,000km expected fixed service costs (excluding wear & tear parts) to better plan your yearly maintenance expenses. See this link https://www.hondacarindia.com/honda-...tofmaintenance

Good luck spending your hard earned money & choose wisely.
I read a bit on crv and it looks like its running on big discounts. Need to verify. if the rate falls alongside that of Tucson then test drive and we can pick that one up. 35L to 30L OR is a good thing. Also I like the blind spot monitoring. There is no real lever for gears and its all switches. Gotta get used to that as well. Shall see it either ways. Thanks again.

Last edited by vb-saan : 8th September 2020 at 12:47. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged, and typo: Tucsan -> Tucson
Old 8th September 2020, 05:43   #146
BHPian

Quote:
I read a bit on crv and it looks like its running on big discounts. Need to verify. if the rate falls alongside that of Tuscon then test drive and we can pick that one up. 35L to 30L OR is a good thing. Also I like the blind spot monitoring. There is no real lever for gears and its all switches. Gotta get used to that as well. Shall see it either ways. Thanks again.
When I enquired recently for the CRV petrol CVT, the max they offered me was 40,000 off on insurance & 6,000 loyalty bonus. But try your luck, maybe your negotiating skills are way better than mine. The petrol CVT should work out to 35.1L on-road in Bangalore, before discounts.

I’m just nitpicking here, but there isn’t any blind spot monitoring in the CRV unfortunately. The camera beneath the left wing mirror is called the lane watch camera, and yes, it’s very helpful. Fret not about the gear buttons if you choose the petrol CVT, it’s got a conventional gear lever. The petrol also gets 5 seats & a cavernous boot.

Take a test drive of the CRV, before you rule it out. It may just bowl you over with it’s interior quality & exceptional ride quality.

Last edited by vb-saan : 8th September 2020 at 12:47. Reason: Quoted post edited.
Old 9th September 2020, 12:21   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoosetoCruze View Post
When I enquired recently for the CRV petrol CVT, the max they offered me was 40,000 off on insurance & 6,000 loyalty bonus. But try your luck, maybe your negotiating skills are way better than mine. The petrol CVT should work out to 35.1L on-road in Bangalore, before discounts.
You are right the large offers are only for specific models. For diesel its there from what I could understand.

Quote:

I’m just nitpicking here, but there isn’t any blind spot monitoring in the CRV unfortunately. The camera beneath the left wing mirror is called the lane watch camera, and yes, it’s very helpful. Fret not about the gear buttons if you choose the petrol CVT, it’s got a conventional gear lever. The petrol also gets 5 seats & a cavernous boot.
True I just read about blind spot monitoring and realised that the system could be more elaborate in implementation where while backing out of a parking lot vehicles crossing are alerted. I also found this on wikipedia,

"If side view mirrors on a car are adjusted in a particular way, there is no blind spot on the sides. This method was first revealed by George Platzer in a 1995 paper presented to the Society of Automotive Engineers, but the method is frequently overlooked in driver's education classes and takes some getting used to. Calculated elimination of blind spots by trained drivers is inexpensive and obviates the need for expensive technological solutions to that problem, provided drivers take the time to set up and use their mirrors properly"

Quote:
Take a test drive of the CRV, before you rule it out. It may just bowl you over with it’s interior quality & exceptional ride quality.
I am sticking to a budget of max 30L OR, so CRV is out of limits now.

As of now Harrier against Hyundai Tucson.
Old 9th September 2020, 16:04   #148
BHPian

Quote:

I hope Honda is reading this thread & realise how important it is to not price their products out of the market.

Good luck with your search.
Old 9th September 2020, 16:56   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

One car probably that has been missed out is Mitsubishi Outlander. I know it is least popular and the service is probably not the best but few points to consider:
  • for around 34 lakhs, you get a 5+2 seater petrol SUV with powerful NA engine and AWD.
  • Mitsubishi cars are well built, reliable and have and great dynamics
  • With not many takers, you may be able to get some good discounts and get it closer to 30 lakhs
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2020, 17:33   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
One car probably that has been missed out is Mitsubishi Outlander. I know it is least popular and the service is probably not the best but few points to consider:
  • for around 34 lakhs, you get a 5+2 seater petrol SUV with powerful NA engine and AWD.
  • Mitsubishi cars are well built, reliable and have and great dynamics
  • With not many takers, you may be able to get some good discounts and get it closer to 30 lakhs
Definitely, didnt know about it. Let me take a look and do a test drive as well. If its not a popular vehicle, how about service, spare parts, warranty etc? Where is this vehicle manufactured? Any chance of being discontinued in India? Just some thoughts based on parameters used for selecting other cars.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks