Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2020, 13:06   #166
BHPian

Re: Need advise on replacing 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by decible111 View Post

Checking out Tucson on Sunday as well.

Thanks for advice
Please do share your experience. With the facelift, Tucson seems to be an excellent contender.It’s a great all round package with a powerful engine, excellent gearbox, good ride and handling, all black interiors, panoramic sunroof standard across variants, spacious rear seat, low running costs and peace of mind ownership as compared to its german rivals.

Last edited by RJ2285 : 25th October 2020 at 13:09. Reason: Typo
RJ2285 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 11:30   #167
BHPian

The mid-size SUV dilemma

Hey fellow BHPians!

My parents and I are looking to replace our 2013 EcoSport (Diesel), but we're in quite a dilemma. We had test driven the Seltos and were quite happy with it overall. We went as far as booking it, but when the thread about brake failure came up here on Team-BHP, we scrapped that plan immediately, as we would definitely not have peace of mind if we buy one now.

Our primary requirements in a car are that it should be atleast decently fun to drive, have atleast 6 airbags and a decent ground clearance. Also on the necessities are good headlights (a lesson learnt from the EcoSport). Solid build and a good ride are also bonuses.

We now have a few cars in mind (20-30L), but they are a lot less decisive than the great package we felt Seltos was. I'm sure fellow BHPians can help us here. The cars under consideration are:
  1. Skoda Karoq:
    This is the one that appeals the most to us. Ticks all our boxes, reviews are consistently good, overall looks like something we will really appreciate. The sole problem is the price. At around 31 lakh OTR, it's a huge stretch over the 20L Seltos and we are not sure if we should take the jump.
  2. Tata Harrier:
    The Harrier looks great, has a good amount of features and is priced pretty close to the Seltos, but it has two things going against it. We're looking for a petrol and the Harrier does not offer one (we don't really mind a diesel, but a petrol would be our first preference). Secondly, Tata's after sales service and reliability are a question mark.
  3. Jeep Compass:
    We test drove the Compass last year and felt like the petrol was not particularly enthusiastic, especially compared to the Seltos. It certainly has rock solid build quality, but it is pricey. Only the top spec Limited Plus variant has 6 airbags, which we would like. At that price point, it feels more sensible to shell out another 3 lakh and get the Karoq.
  4. VW T-Roc:
    At around 6 L lesser than the Karoq OTR, this is appealing on the price sense, but it looks quite small for a car of that price, and added to that we find its looks to be not that great. On the bright side, it will be more fun to drive than the Karoq.
  5. MG ZS EV:
    We don't really like how the Kona looks, so the ZS is the only EV contender here. On the good side are the (obvious) peppy acceleration and the 'green' appeal, but at the same time we can't help but feel that the lack of features like Automatic Climate Control on a car that costs north of 25 L OTR is a very big miss. We have a second car, so we can take that on longer trips, but the EcoSport was our go-to for trips where roads are a hit or miss, so buying an 'SUV' and taking our Honda City for such trips does not sound great.

I should also mention that we have decided to avoid some cars for different reasons, namely:
  1. Hyundai Creta:
    We don't like the weird styling + concerns about the brake failure issue.
  2. MG Hector:
    Quite big and bulky, petrol is only adequate (as mentioned on the official review here)

Please shed some light on what you think we should go for. It will be really helpful. Thanks!
Old 27th October 2020, 12:24   #168
BHPian

Re: The mid-size SUV dilemma

Is there a reason why you want to avoid a Diesel, because diesels usually provide a better low end torque, which we all need in the city. In terms of safety, it is more important to look at the structure and NCAP ratings rather than the number of airbags.

If preowned is an option, I'd suggest exploring a Hexa automatic. The car blows away everything below 30 lakhs. The suspension and refinement is better than the Fortuner. You might find one with warranty left for a few more years. And service is quite good in my area, but do ask owners around your area.

If it is not an option, one could explore the XUV 500 although that's due for a new model. If you get a good discount, even the Isuzu MuX (when it is available with BS 6) is a good option.

Last edited by Cessna182 : 27th October 2020 at 12:25.
Cessna182 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 13:31   #169
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Do check out the Tucson. It has been recently refreshed and gets a new 8 speed automatic with the diesel, which churns out 182 Bhp and 400NM of Torque.

The entry level diesel which is fairly equipped will cost around 28-29L in Kerala, so just around the price of the top-end Compass. And this is without factoring in discounts which may rise to a couple of lakhs during the year end.

It also feels, half or quarter a size above the Compass and Karoq. The main negatives in my opinion are the slightly dated interiors.

It comes with a petrol too, but I wouldn't suggest the Naturally Aspirated petrol as it won't feel as punchy as the diesel while sipping away more fuel.

As far is Karoq and T-Roc are concerned, they come with the DQ-200 gearbox which are notorious for packing up. Since you are keen on peace of mind, this gearbox better be avoided. I agree that a gearbox failure is a much lesser of an issue than an outright brake failure but still, a risk nonetheless, even if it is a calculated one.

That leaves us with the Jeep Compass petrol which is a good engine but not as good as the diesel.

Overall, I'd suggest the Tucson diesel followed by the Compass diesel.
AYP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 16:28   #170
BHPian

My suggestion will be to also include the CR-V unless already rejected for some reason. It should fulfill all your needs along with a great petrol engine, good build with safety and great ride.

Also Tucson as suggested above by Bhpian AYP seems unaffected by the braking issue but then again, it has not sold that much compared to the Creta/Seltos twins to bring issues into notice.

Strictly from the list you shared, you can go with either of the VAG twins if petrol, but if you can, do go for a diesel Compass as your first preference and Harrier automatic as the second.

If you can go pre-owned, there is nothing that beats the Hexa as a VFM proposition and you will literally save half your money with a pre-owned Hexa automatic as suggested above Bhpian Cessna182.

Last edited by Researcher : 27th October 2020 at 16:31.
Researcher is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 14:29   #171
BHPian

Re: Crossover/SUV for 25 Lakhs: Seltos/Tucson/Compass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cessna182 View Post
Is there a reason why you want to avoid a Diesel, because diesels usually provide a better low end torque, which we all need in the city. In terms of safety, it is more important to look at the structure and NCAP ratings rather than the number of airbags.

If preowned is an option, I'd suggest exploring a Hexa automatic. The car blows away everything below 30 lakhs. The suspension and refinement is better than the Fortuner. You might find one with warranty left for a few more years. And service is quite good in my area, but do ask owners around your area.
Thanks Cessna182! The reason we prefer a petrol is that our travel distances have come down quite significantly since covid and are unlikely to go up soon. Added to the similar price of petrol and diesel fuel, it felt like petrol was the better choice.

We're not sure about pre-owned, but if we do go down that route, will definitely check out the cars you mentioned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
Do check out the Tucson. It has been recently refreshed and gets a new 8 speed automatic with the diesel, which churns out 182 Bhp and 400NM of Torque.

The entry level diesel which is fairly equipped will cost around 28-29L in Kerala.

As far is Karoq and T-Roc are concerned, they come with the DQ-200 gearbox which are notorious for packing up.
Thanks for the input AYP! Tuscon is a great car, but I think a little too large for us. I must also admit that I think we are quite in love with the Karoq, so something else that costs nearly as much as the Karoq feels less desirable.

The DQ200 is a concern, but like you said, I think we're okay with going for it as it isn't as dangerous as a brake failure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Researcher View Post
My suggestion will be to also include the CR-V unless already rejected for some reason. It should fulfill all your needs along with a great petrol engine, good build with safety and great ride.
Thank you Researcher! The CR-V shows a price of over 35L here, so it's a bigger stretch on our budget than the Karoq. That's why we haven't looked at it.
francisvellara is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 16:51   #172
BHPian

Re: Need advise on replacing 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by decible111 View Post
Skoda Karoq
Paid advance, wife went to check it out, didn't feel like it is a 30 OTR worth car in term of space, presence and whole demeanor. I was convinced.
Agree. Got the same feeling. Even at a lower cost not worth it. Fuel efficiency will not be great and few years down the line resale will be very low. Add Skoda poor reliability and ASS.

May be wait for facelifted Compass??

If no qualms on moving down One segment, then new Creta / Kia Seltos ticks all boxes.

My pick would be used X Drive X1. If possible buy from Chandigarh. Can sell it there again on completion of 10 years. Likely to get good used ones.

Last edited by ampere : 2nd November 2020 at 17:06. Reason: Fixed quotes
Old 4th December 2020, 10:08   #173
BHPian

Hi everyone,
I’m in the exact same boat and in addition to the options discussed above, currently also considering a 2018 or newer Audi q3. I recently saw an under warranty 35TDI premium plus car sell for 25L here in mumbai. It seemed like a good price. I like the fact that the 35tdi has 380nm torque compared to 340nm on the 30TDI and Tiguan diesel.
Would love to hear some thoughts on a used q3 from you folks.

I also agree that the Tucson is a great car and with some year end discounts it may be a great car to HOld for 4-5 years. Interiors are dated compared to certain but not a deal breaker. I test drove the petrol automatic and both the engine and the gearbox felt very uninspiring.
I find compass to be overpriced with severely dated interiors. A used compass with less kms on the odo can be easily found for much lesser and presents a much better value. Unfortunately wifey is not ok with used compass (but ok with a used Audi )
T-roc is great but unimpressive and puny; karoq at t-roc price would’ve been an immediate yes!
Old 4th December 2020, 12:36   #174
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur_g View Post
Hi everyone,
I’m in the exact same boat and in addition to the options discussed above, currently also considering a 2018 or newer Audi q3. I recently saw an under warranty 35TDI premium plus car sell for 25L here in mumbai. It seemed like a good price.
Would love to hear some thoughts on a used q3 from you folks.

Unfortunately wifey is not ok with used compass (but ok with a used Audi )
Honestly would avoid the Q3 : it's a generation old and showing its age, cramped, and Audi A.S.S. seems to be a little more expensive than BMW (however it is better than Mercedes).

As an alternate, I'd recommend a pre-owned BMW X1 : more spacious, still current, with simpler parts where it matters (no DSG for instance).
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2020, 01:08   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Honestly would avoid the Q3 : it's a generation old and showing its age, cramped, and Audi A.S.S. seems to be a little more expensive than BMW (however it is better than Mercedes).

As an alternate, I'd recommend a pre-owned BMW X1 : more spacious, still current, with simpler parts where it matters (no DSG for instance).
Could you elaborate a bit when you talk about the q3 being a gen old and not the x1. I’m not that current with these things but that is a fair reason.
How old an x1 should I be looking? 2018 or newer? Should I wait till jan to get an even better price? What is a fair price for a used x1; I’m seeing quotes of 26-30L on OLX for 2018 models.
Old 5th December 2020, 11:54   #176
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Could you elaborate a bit when you talk about the q3 being a gen old and not the x1. I’m not that current with these things but that is a fair reason.
How old an x1 should I be looking? 2018 or newer? Should I wait till jan to get an even better price? What is a fair price for a used x1; I’m seeing quotes of 26-30L on OLX for 2018 models.
By that statement I simply meant the Q3 has been replaced with an all new model globally which will make its way to India too.
In comparison, the X1 has just received a facelift (bumpers, lights, etc.) And therefore more current than the Q3.

Personally speaking, I found some elements of the Q3 interiors to show its age and the BMW did feel more modern, but even the BMW is not fresh per se.
The biggest advantage of the X1 being the better drive, more space, better brand experience.
If you find the elusive M-Sport AWD trim - it's the pick due to AWD, stiffer sportier suspension, and the body kit. However AWD has been discontinued from 2018 onwards (all X1 sold now are FWD).

Regarding buying: 2018 models or later would be recommended. There are some with the odo less than 30K. Avoid the bare basic expedition trim which looses out on sunroof and a few other goodies.

In fact, I remember seeing an M Sport (not sure FWD or AWD) for sale asking 27L in Mumbai on carwale.

Once you like a particular car, please send it to BMW for a thorough inspection - it costs around ₹15,000 but worth the headache. While engine and most electronics are reliable for most part, I'd look at the tyres and alloy condition carefully as the lower profile RFT is prone to bulges, or worse bent alloys.
Keep an eye out for extended warranty / BSI packages which many owners opt for. It'll be the cherry on the cake.

Also, if open to petrol theres a 2019 Q3 for sale as well which you can negotiate heavily on!
Old 5th December 2020, 16:45   #177
BHPian

The q3 petrol you mentioned has been booked - just spoke to the dealer.
The x1 m sport you spoke about (I think) had a total loss claim against it and it has been restored unofficially outside BMW service Centers
There are a couple of other options which I’m trying to test drive tomm. Let’s see.
One qn though: should I insist on looking only for under warranty cars? Or can I buy extended warranty from BMW post purchase?
ankur_g is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 17:17   #178
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
One qn though: should I insist on looking only for under warranty cars? Or can I buy extended warranty from BMW post purchase?
Thanks for pointing out about the X1 : hadn't inquired further as was not interested in the X1.

Re: Extended warranty : it cannot be extended once expired, so best to look for a vehicle within warranty.
In addition to warranty, do keep some money aside for maintenance, etc. as it is a German after all (same for Q3/GLA/etc.)

Lastly have you checked on deals for the new X1 SportX?
If in no rush to buy, keep an eye out for deals on the same + will help with negotiations on pre-owned pre-facelift X1s.
Old 8th December 2020, 21:42   #179
BHPian

Thanks.
Test drove a 2018 x1 and a 2018 q3 recently. Man the x1 felt so much more premium, spacious and an upgrade from my polo tsi. The q3 felt cramped but had a better and more plush ride. But x1 engine was more refined I felt. Unfortunately the bmw is not under warranty and as a first time buyer I am wary buying one without warranty.
Hunt shall continue. Not in a super hurry to buy something right away.
ankur_g is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2021, 15:33   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by francisvellara View Post
H

We now have a few cars in mind (20-30L), but they are a lot less decisive than the great package we felt Seltos was. I'm sure fellow BHPians can help us here. The cars under consideration are:
I am in a similar place, I want to upgrade from my 6 year old Honda City to an SUV but I am very confused with the options. Harrier is definitely on the list, I am planning to test drive it this weekend but have a question for the Tata owners here - does the after sales continue to be challenging or have things improved substantially (the cars sure seem to have).

The Karoq is currently the preferred option (used to own a Vento and that car really put a smile on my face whenever one gets behind the wheel)

The dilemma is whether to pick up one now or wait a couple of years and go for the X1/Q3. My City is in very good shape and can be easily used for a couple more years.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks