Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2019, 23:29   #1
BANNED

What 9-year old SUV/MUV from Delhi should I buy for 2 lakhs?

I'm currently living in PB 08 (Jalandhar). We have a polo 1.2 mpi (2012)

We need another vehicle having recently sold our 1.8 lakh km run maruti alto.

So instead of buying a used swift or something similar for 2 ish lakhs, we were thinking whether we should get a SUV from Delhi NCR (considering the fact that we all are massive travel freaks)
We don't really need the space(the three of us fit in just fine in the polo), but with an suv, you can take it to the hills in the monsoons, and since our puppy is now almost grown into an adult, she will appreciate the extra space to hop and jump about. And drool all over the windows.

So, what do you guys recommend? What are my options? Just Scorpio/safari, or is there anything that I'm missing? 2011 Xuv is around 3.5 ish, and we don't have that kind of budget.

Oh, and Innova is NOT a contender.
simeonovitch is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2019, 00:02   #2
BHPian

re: What 9-year old SUV/MUV from Delhi should I buy for 2 lakhs?

Renault Duster - Renault machines are well-built and age well too.
Endeavour - I'm sure looking for a 1st gen Endy at this price wouldn't be much of an issue.

There is this stupid character on a Youtube Channel, I can't remember his name. Basically uploads videos of the inventory of a few 2nd hand car dealerships that he is being financed by. Check him out - should give you an idea of what to expect at that price point. His lack of knowledge and presentation style would surely make you cringe.
bhphog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2019, 08:20   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: What 9-year old SUV/MUV from Delhi should I buy for 2 lakhs?

In addition to the Scorpio, you should also consider the Sumo Grande (surprisingly competent + reliable) and Xylo (ugly, but comfy). If you want absolute peace of the mind with a car-like driving experience, check out Ertigas like this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhphog View Post
Renault Duster - Renault machines are well-built and age well too.
Endeavour - I'm sure looking for a 1st gen Endy at this price wouldn't be much of an issue.
If the OP does find any Dusters for 2 lakhs, they will be in shabby shape.

The Endeavour is straight away ruled out because of the maintenance costs associated with a 15-year old premium SUV. Remember, a 2 lakh car can quickly become a 3 lakh one if the repairs are expensive.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th September 2019, 08:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
In addition to the Scorpio, you should also consider the Sumo Grande (surprisingly competent + reliable) and Xylo (ugly, but comfy).
Bangalore BHPian Paradiddle has a Xylo and has taken his labrador for long 600 km ++ drives in it. You might want to talk to him about how to fit whatever you buy up for a pet.
hserus is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2019, 13:28   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

A good, used Scorpio will always be preferable to a Safari anyday. In the Scorpio range please prefer one with the MHawk engine (CRDi) after March 2009. That's when they launched the 2190 cc/ 120 bhp MHawk engine for all variants other than the M2Di (it cried for the MHawk ll along though). The higher variants are OK if in your budget but please check if all the essential goodies that come alongwith it are working. Many of these conk off due to careless attitude of many owners. The lighter MHawk is low on maintenance and it's power to weight ratio and torque will even put many petrol engines to shame. Overall, the Scorpio is low on maintenance if not abused, but a notch lower than the Innova. A thorough check of the overall condition and papers is required as if it's Delhi you can be in for surprises !

Unfortunately, the Innova has a very good resale value and may not be within your budget and it's not your choice as you say.

Last edited by aah78 : 11th September 2019 at 21:35. Reason: Typo fixed on request.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 08:32   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

So where do Delhi folks find used vehicles - the usual Olx / Quikr - or dealers ?
Old 12th September 2019, 11:26   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
So where do Delhi folks find used vehicles - the usual Olx / Quikr - or dealers ?
Its mostly same like any other city. Just that the used cars dealers in Delhi are more decieving and sly than I think anywhere in India. (but Hey! thats a trait of Delhi in almost every aspect )
My friend bought a pre-owned Honda City i-Vtec 2011 Auto from a used car dealer in Gurugram. The odo of the vehicle displayed 49xxx kms. Later, when he encountered an overheating issue, he took the car to the ASC only to find that the car had run over 1,50,000 kms. This type of incidents are very common and most people don't even figure it out.

Finding a car through olx/quickr isn't fool-proof either. Instances of documents being forged, or the car being sold with various jugaads are relatively common.

Having said that, if one is thorough and invests enough time and brain to see upon the closer details, there are some very nice cars available.
Its like that famous dialouge from one of my favourite movies - Now You See Me - "The more you think you see, the less you'll actually notice".

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks