Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2019, 17:59   #16
BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa XTA or Honda CR-V (with big discounts)?

Slightly off topic, Considering the changes the automobile industry is going through in India moving towards Electric, Hybrid and some car companies opting out of Diesel option itself due to BS6 and its added cost, would it be safe to buy the CRV Diesel considering in the longer run?
Old 12th September 2019, 18:30   #17
BHPian

Since you have already decided on either Hexa or the CRV, may I ask why Toyota Fortuner is not in consideration?
Since you said, you wish to have the car for a long time then what better than the Fortuner?

Between the Hexa and CRV, I would say go for the CRV. Honda CR-V is built as per their global standards and will hold better than the Hexa for a decade. Service costs will be higher but I believe that is not the concern.
Hexa is good value for money but won't keep your excitement for many years. CRV is plush and shall be like throughout.
VWAllstar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 23:02   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If the 10 lakh price difference doesn't make a big difference to you, then it is indisputably the CR-V. It is a car engineered for & built to global standards. Almost everything about it is 2 levels above the Hexa, including the finesse & quality. The CR-V is far easier to drive and a much better handler.
There's also a Dec-2018 CR-V (new) available with additional discount making the difference 8 lakh. With 30% depreciation available now, I can ignore the price difference.
After reading all the responses, almost certain of CR-V now. Though those captain seats in Hexa are hard to let go..

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeBeans View Post
Hey gnome, I think Ford Endeavour also fits very nicely in your budgets and requirements. Any particular reason why you are not considering it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Since you have already decided on either Hexa or the CRV, may I ask why Toyota Fortuner is not in consideration?
Hexa has better space and comfort compared to Fortuner and Endeavor. CR-V is more refined and easier to drive than both. Butch looks, extra power and rough terrain are not a requirement for me, so they were never on list. Also my brother has a Fortuner, so I can use it if there's a need.
Kodiaq was the only other I considered. CR-V is much cheaper now with discounts, so Kodiaq is off the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeBeans View Post
I'm in a very similar boat in terms of budget and requirements, but waiting for BSVI to be sorted out.
One thing is certain - diesel cars with BSVI will be ~10% more expensive.
gnome is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2019, 15:51   #19
BHPian

Good timely thread.

And good to see comments from many senior BHP'ians - and supporting the CRV. Gives me the confidence to take the final jump.

Mostly will book CRV AT AWD next week - planning to get the invoice done before 30th so that I can claim the 30% depreciation also. Though it seems no official notification has come regarding that.

Negotiated to around about 35.75 Lakhs on Road...
Old 14th September 2019, 19:09   #20
BHPian

I may get bashed up big time for this, but why not consider the Innova Crysta?
Let’s see: It’s got an auto box, a bigger engine than the CR-V, you can seat 7 with (relative) ease (compared to CR-V and you can hand over the car to your child when he turns 18
Only negatives I see is that it has a van/taxi image (if that is important to you), lesser FE, lesser gizmos and poorer handling compared to the CR-V (Body on frame vs monocoque). Well, and it is pricey! But you do get to keep the captain seats

What about the Alturas? Haven’t heard a single person talk about it yet. It’s got the gizmos to boot and the luxury feel. Do consider this one too.

Also, how regularly do you travel with 7 on board? It would be better to hire a car for those few times and keep a 5 seater. It will be easier to manage in the city too. Just my €0.02.

Last edited by artemis_fowl : 14th September 2019 at 19:14.
artemis_fowl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2019, 22:45   #21
BHPian

If you are getting such good discounts on the CR-V, did you explore the Tucson or the X1.
Just asking since if the Tucson can be had a great discount, it too is as good a vehicle.
Old 16th September 2019, 16:40   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post
If you are getting such good discounts on the CR-V, did you explore the Tucson or the X1.
Just asking since if the Tucson can be had a great discount, it too is as good a vehicle.
X1 On road in Kerala comes to about 46L after discount. CRV is about 10L cheaper. Checked today with the BMW dealer.

Innova is definitely a very sensible option - However, three factors support the CRV-
1. I drive myself 100%, so in terms of ease of driving CRV all the way,
2. Exclusivity Part - Cant find any CRVs on the road.
3. Honda Brand - Driving a 9 year old City which has done 1.85 Lakh Kms with zero niggles. CRV feels like home.

In addition, the Sun Roof, the AWD, and the looks help.
skuz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th September 2019, 16:54   #23
BHPian

In a similar situation like yous. I am looking at a replacement for our 9 year old Fortuner MT and these two cars are the shortlist. To be honest, the charm of a big butch SUV has died down quite drastically with the increase in traffic conditions here in Mumbai, but family insists on a 7 seater SUV.
Yet to take a test drive of both the Hexa and the CRV but what are the thoughts of our Members here? What would be a good replacement for the Fortuner? I understand that the finesse of a CRV cannot be compared with a Hexa but if Hexa is going to be a reliable workhorse like the Fortuner has been, then I see no issues saving Rs. 10L in today's gloom business environment at the cost of better interiors.
Mind you, I have not mentioned comfort because time and again I have read that the Hexa is an extremely comfortable car and for someone coming from a 2010 Fortuner MT I am pretty sure to find the Hexa's ride comfortable.
curiosity is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2019, 17:23   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skuz View Post
X1 On road in Kerala comes to about 46L after discount. CRV is about 10L cheaper. Checked today with the BMW dealer.

Innova is definitely a very sensible option - However, three factors support the CRV-
1. I drive myself 100%, so in terms of ease of driving CRV all the way,
2. Exclusivity Part - Cant find any CRVs on the road.
3. Honda Brand - Driving a 9 year old City which has done 1.85 Lakh Kms with zero niggles. CRV feels like home.

In addition, the Sun Roof, the AWD, and the looks help.
Tuscon is 4 lacs cheaper on road in Kolkata (Diesel, 2WD, Panaramic Sunroof version)
AbhiJ is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th September 2019, 17:30   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Tuscon is 4 lacs cheaper on road in Kolkata (Diesel, 2WD, Panaramic Sunroof version)
Tax rate in Kerala is about 21%. About 7 Lakhs in Road Tax. So do not think the difference would be that much in Kerala.

Looks are subjective, still, i prefer the interiors and exteriors of CRV.
Old 16th September 2019, 18:18   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiosity View Post
In a similar situation like yous. I am looking at a replacement for our 9 year old Fortuner MT and these two cars are the shortlist. To be honest, the charm of a big butch SUV has died down quite drastically with the increase in traffic conditions here in Mumbai, but family insists on a 7 seater SUV.
Yet to take a test drive of both the Hexa and the CRV but what are the thoughts of our Members here? What would be a good replacement for the Fortuner? I understand that the finesse of a CRV cannot be compared with a Hexa but if Hexa is going to be a reliable workhorse like the Fortuner has been, then I see no issues saving Rs. 10L in today's gloom business environment at the cost of better interiors.
Mind you, I have not mentioned comfort because time and again I have read that the Hexa is an extremely comfortable car and for someone coming from a 2010 Fortuner MT I am pretty sure to find the Hexa's ride comfortable.
Hello curiosity. If your family insists on going for a true 7 seater and you have shortlisted the Hexa then go for one with your eyes closed. The CRV is not a true 7 seater and also the OTR price difference between 4×2 top end versions of the two is 15 lakhs. That's quite a lot. Coming from a Fortuner manual you won't need to get adjusted to the size of the Hexa and also the slightly notchy gearbox. I understand your concern of driving such a bulky car in today's traffic but you will be well aware about how you get preferential treatment on our roads if you drive a big SUV.

I own an XT 4×2 for more than 2 years now and am completely satisfied with it. The seat comfort and ride quality will be something you will definitely enjoy coming from the Fortuner. Also I think Tata's aftersales service in Mumbai is also good. With the current market conditions and tempting discounts being offered on Hexa, it's a no brainer really. If you need any more help you can pm me anytime. Cheers.
ram87pune is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th September 2019, 22:29   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skuz View Post
Looks are subjective, still, i prefer the interiors and exteriors of CRV.
It seems like you may be tilting towards the CRV.
Since your requirements is for 5+2, have you tested the vehicle with full load of 7 passengers including driver. Did you find the engine responsive with full load.
Old 23rd September 2019, 21:06   #28
BHPian

Took a test drive of the Hexa XTA. Comfortable ride and easy to drive, but the steering was really heavy. The test drive car's wheel alignment was off so I'm not sure if this can escalate the heaviness. Gnome what have you finalized on? I'm tilting towards the Hexa. What discounts over and above the listed ones can be expected?
curiosity is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2019, 21:47   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Took a test drive of the Hexa XTA. Comfortable ride and easy to drive, but the steering was really heavy. The test drive car's wheel alignment was off so I'm not sure if this can escalate the heaviness.
Same experience for me too. My first two test-drive vehicles had terrible steering and suspension, third one (at different dealer) was correct. I don't understand why Tata dealers give obviously defective vehicles for test-drive.

Quote:
What discounts over and above the listed ones can be expected
For Hexa, 1-2L discount. For CR-V, 4-5L discount. If they have older stock sitting around, even more.
gnome is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2019, 01:32   #30
BHPian

Thanks for all the suggestions. Brought home a CR-V!

Tata Hexa XTA or Honda CR-V (with big discounts)?-img_8459.jpg

It's a diesel and AWD. There was a unused Nov-2018 model available in my fav color, so got it for additional discount.

Quick Impression after driving it in B'lore rivers - very easy to drive, comfortable rear-seats, car-like manners and easy to forget it's a diesel. Interiors definitely feel premium. My only complaint are the cheap buttons on the steering. I am pretty sure they won't fall off, but they are like those buttons on a cheap landline phone.
gnome is offline   (15) Thanks

Most Viewed