Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2019, 16:48   #1
BHPian

Tata Hexa XTA or Honda CR-V (with big discounts)?

I am looking for a 5+2 car with 20-40 Lakh budget. I have mostly finalized on Hexa XTA and Honda CR-V, and very confused on which one to pick. I had ignored CR-V, but with good discounts going around I test drove it.
On-road for Hexa XTA is around 23L and CR-V is 33L. Both diesel, 2WD and automatic.

My drive is 50% city (Bangalore) and 50% outskirts (highways + average roads). It will be self-drive, hence automatic. I am not using this for commute, so it'll be mostly weekend drive. I need the third row for my two small kids when there's parents/guests and we are driving around town. I intend to keep the car for a very long time.

I test-drove both cars. Hexa (XTA - automatic) is supremely comfortable with captain seats. But it's not so easy to drive around and lacked luxurious feel. CR-V is very easy to drive and has a luxurious feel, but not as comfortable as Hexa. What do you guys recommend? Is there anything else I missed when comparing the two?
I did try Kodiaq too. But with CR-V discounts going on, Kodiaq did not feel 9L more expensive. Also CR-V is a little sluggish, but I think the excellent 9-speed auto makes up for that under normal driving.
gnome is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th September 2019, 18:11   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata Hexa XTA or Honda CR-V (with big discounts)?

What discounts are you getting on the CRV?
AbhiJ is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2019, 18:14   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
What discounts are you getting on the CRV?
4-5L for 2019 model, even more for 2018 leftovers.
gnome is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2019, 18:44   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnome View Post
I am looking for a 5+2 car with 20-40 Lakh budget. I have mostly finalized on Hexa XTA and Honda CR-V, and very confused on which one to pick. I had ignored CR-V, but with good discounts going around I test drove it.
If you plan to keep your vehicle for a long time (5 yrs+), I would suggest the Hexa XTA anyday specially for the kind of trips you have in mind. It is supremely comfortable on highways & largely niggle free. Given the price difference between your 2 choices, I do not see anything that the CR-V offers over the Hexa.

Last edited by aah78 : 11th September 2019 at 21:26. Reason: Quote trimmed.
goswami.j is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th September 2019, 19:04   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

I would suggest the Hexa XTA. Reasons being - you find this more comfortable between the two. Though you feel it is not that easy to drive it, your intended use looks to be weekends, and long distance and not for commute. On the highway, the effort required is lesser than in city.

Actually, considering the intended use outside, I would even suggest the Hexa XT 4x4.

I dont think the lower FE of the CR-V is putting you off.
condor is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 11th September 2019, 19:17   #6
BANNED

The Hexa is extremely comfortable. A recent 200 km trip over broken roads confirmed its awesome credentials as a super vehicle. The interiors were plush and the plastics were very good.
It was very easy to drive despite the good space that it envelopes.
I don't know how the Tatas and Mahindras are able to develop diesels that sound much sweeter than the expensive European brands.
The Hexa wins hands down with its excellent pricing too.
fiestarry is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th September 2019, 23:50   #7
BHPian

Quote:
What do you guys recommend? Is there anything else I missed when comparing the two?
Would recommend CRV. Maintenance will be negligible. i own the CRV petrol previous generation and in 4.5 years of ownership the car has been extremely reliable. the only break down i had was of battery failure which was promptly fixed by Honda Emergency.

The diesel is underpowered yes, but on routine driving it doesnt feel like that as it has a nice spread of power and the 9 speed AT is indeed good.

I suggest you drive both and then go for the one that makes you feel like walking up to it everyday.
M00M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 00:08   #8
BHPian

If you can afford it, the CR-V hands down. The Hexa is a great car, but the CR-V is altogether a segment higher in all respects other than outright BHP. The quality, depth of engineering and overall finesse of cars like the CR-V and Kodiaq cannot be matched by the Hexa, XUV500 etc. Moreover, the Hexa will be discontinued soon. Also, Hondas are very reliable long term and the CR-V should be no different.
Aaron:) is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 00:58   #9
Senior - BHPian

Honestly, I'd pick the Innova Crysta (petrol) if I were you. Looking at where you live (Belgaum,) I'd pick a brand that has a safe ASS guarantee, especially with long ownership periods. With hundreds of Innova taxis, you can be guaranteed of getting parts years later. If you choose the petrol, don't worry as the 2.7 petrol is one of Toyota's most reliable engines- extensively used in the ME and SE Asia.

Make no mistake, the CR-V is the best engineered car and I'd pick that over the Hexa (and Innova too) any day and I'd buy that 99 times out of 100 if money wasn't a factor. If you buy a petrol UV, you can probably keep it for longer than a diesel.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 12th September 2019 at 00:59.
landcruiser123 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 07:06   #10
Senior - BHPian

Unlike lower segments, CRV is a true Honda in every sense! I would pick it over the Hexa anyday. Tata's A.S.S is still a hit or miss(personal experience) , something that matters when you plonk 20 big L on a car.
giri1.8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 08:31   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tata Hexa XTA or Honda CR-V (with big discounts)?

Quote:
On-road for Hexa XTA is around 23L and CR-V is 33L. Both diesel, 2WD and automatic.
If the 10 lakh price difference doesn't make a big difference to you, then it is indisputably the CR-V. It is a car engineered for & built to global standards. Almost everything about it is 2 levels above the Hexa, including the finesse & quality. The CR-V is far easier to drive and a much better handler.

That said, just the fact that the Hexa is even being cross-shopped with one shows how the Tata punches above its weight.

This is like cross-shopping between Levis & Diesel denims. Levis are very good, but if you can afford Diesel, you won't go back to Levis.

Last edited by GTO : 12th September 2019 at 14:28.
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 08:51   #12
Team-BHP Support

Between these two - definitely the Honda. In my opinion, the only two models from Honda (in India) have that vintage Honda flair – the Civic and the CR-V. Both are priced on the high-end but if the CR-V is coming with good discounts, go for it!
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 10:37   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Go for the CRV AWD if that's available on discount. I've only ever driven the petrol AWD CRV on ice and snow and it never failed me. If ever you think of hitting the Himalayas in winter, it may suit you. I don't know how good the Honda Diesel engine is though.
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 10:55   #14
BHPian

If given an option between different segments, obviously go for the higher one. Every aspect would be twice better. Not sure how it would effect the maintenance though after say 4 or 5 years when the warranty expires. With the discounts you may get with CRV, it may even be a no-brainer!

Else, get the Hexa and invest the remaining amount or get a club Mahindra membership for your adventures, depending on your priorities! I would go with CRV though if I were you since affordability is not an issue!
Old 12th September 2019, 12:11   #15
BHPian

Hey gnome, I think Ford Endeavour also fits very nicely in your budgets and requirements. Any particular reason why you are not considering it?
I'm in a very similar boat in terms of budget and requirements, but waiting for BSVI to be sorted out.

Most Viewed