Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2007, 05:29   #1
BHPian

safari dicor vs. toyota innova

dear all!
phenomenal site this to say the least.proud to be a member.
i am completely confused between the two.the more reading i do trhe more confused i get.
steeroid i've read a whole lot of your posts and i understand u faced a similar problem.i've already read in detail a lot of info on the two but i still feel as awkward a three legged duck.
so pls put up with me and guide me on this.
i'm a doctor who loves the outdoors.with the Lord's grace,have a small and beautiful extended family.city driving is less than40km per day.
once in 3 month trip to the hills is standard.
(drove from delhi to leh on the manali-leh road and backls pls must do this when u guys have time on u).
budget upto 12 lacs.
thanks in advance
Old 14th February 2007, 15:10   #2
BHPian

hey dear. i had the same confusion but here is what i saw and may help you:

1.) Safari is an SUV and Innova is a Minivan
2.) Safari has more power as compared to Innova
3.) Safari spares are cheaper than Innova
4.) You wont see a single Taxi safari but you would see 50% innovas used as taxi.
5.) Safari can no way beat the refinement and comfort of Innova. Innova is a class apart
6.)If you are concious about your image: go for safari. if you are more for comfort and practicality: innova is the answer
7.) Safari will cost you a lakh less than Innova
8.) As i said a practical person takes innova and a passionate person takes safari..

hope it helps
rajismine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2007, 16:07   #3

Innova always a better option

Hi,

Innova is always a better option than Safari. If your heart says Safari then wait for few months for the new 2.2 L safari from TATA.

You also need to know that Tata are experts in improvising based on customers feedback .

Innova is a proven vehicle , you may have to compromise on the looks department, Other wise it is a fantastic vehicle in comparison to the Safari iff u are not looking at any serious off roading.

Safari is a 7 seater (last row seats need not be taken in to count)

Innova has both 7 and 8 Seater and the 8 seater is pretty good.

Old 14th February 2007, 16:21   #4
Senior - BHPian

The Toyota Innova Limited Edition or so is out now for abt 8.xx lakhs.
Old 14th February 2007, 16:29   #5
Senior - BHPian

Firstly, Welcome to TBHP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorkats View Post
steeroid i've read a whole lot of your posts and i understand u faced a similar problem.
Mostly, I couldnt reconcile myself to driving a van around. Plus, the Safari can go to most places where there are no roads and I tend to go off the beaten track a bit.

The Safari cannot beat the Innova for refinement, but on all other counts including Comfort its got the Innova covered. Obviously you've read up on the little niggles one tends to face with the Safari (which will never happen on a Toyota - ANY Toyota) therefore I do not need to elaborate on those.

If you want a totally trouble-free vehicle that has perfect shutlines, no gaps in the plastic, enough space and above average comfort with a good diesel engine, then go for the Innova.

If you arent particular about the attributes mentioned in the previous paragraph and want a vehicle you can throw around happily, abuse, take off the beaten track, wade in slush and still cruise in total comfort (nothing comes close on Indian roads) at good speeds on the highway, then its the Safari.

Tough choice - I know.
Old 14th February 2007, 16:31   #6
Senior - BHPian

Rajeev and Steer have explained it very well. Go for Innova for its refinement, safari for comfort/image!

I feel Innova is cheaper than Safari because top end diesel innova costs around 11.5lacs on road in bangalore and fully loaded safari may be bit costlier than fully loaded innova.

Also Safari gives better ride comfort than innova in bad roads because its SUV and its tata. However Innova is great too.

Its always common clas leader is always don't give brand image and the car which gives brand image won't be class leader in practicality like Swift/Getz, Safari/Innova so on...

Regards,

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 14th February 2007 at 16:33.
Old 14th February 2007, 16:43   #7
BHPian

I feel Innova is cheaper than Safari because top end diesel innova costs around 11.5lacs on road in bangalore and fully loaded safari may be bit costlier than fully loaded innova.

Hey. Is that really so..I would best suggest to take a LX Dicor which will cost 8 L on road. The major difference between LX and EX is roof top AC which can be fitted for Rs 16,000. Its a good deal considering that LX is 8 L and EX is 9.3 L. Actually you can cover all that in 30K i.e. 16 K for A/C and another 15 for the Front seat as in EX u can move seats up and down though the functionality is not available in LX.

If you are too muck into off track: take LX 4*4..
Old 14th February 2007, 16:49   #8
BHPian

Go Yourself-Go Safari

Go family-Go Innova

Go Heart-Go Safari

Go Head-Go Innova

My observation for having goe both ways,including sideways!

Last edited by Desert fox : 14th February 2007 at 16:50.
Old 14th February 2007, 16:54   #9
BHPian

Well said desert fox. As i said: Safari for the "Passionate" and Innova for the "Practical".

Safari is for being yourself. Innova: being family oriented and thus more for utility and multipurpose...

I after all these thoughts had bought a Safari, 4 months back and I love it even with the niggles......
Old 14th February 2007, 18:29   #10
BHPian

Answer this first...

You want a city/highway capable people-carrier or you want something for yourself to boost your ego, go anywhere you wish to?

You will know for yourself by now what you want
Old 14th February 2007, 18:32   #11
BANNED

Hi Doc,
I have the perfect prescription for you! I myself own a safari for over 6 months, My family of 5. Mom/Dad/Younger Brother/my Wife and my 8 mth old kid have so far travelled 8200 kms all across karnataka( in 6 mths) on my safari. The fact is You just cant beat the best. Safari by all means is the best car you can buy.
As STEEROID mentioned Safari goes where there are no roads(It makes its own Road). INNOVA is only a minivan with 5 seating capacity the 3rd row is only for two 10 yr old kids, forget adults sitting in that row.
Safari has a better mileage with or without A/C than compared to INNOVA while Safari has better comforts compared to INNOVA and even spares and service are also cheaper in TATA cars.

I have done my first service at 5500 kms it cost me Rs 2000/- as i changed the engine oil.
Doc go ahead and buy the Safari. Its No 2 vehicle in comfort as per Auto car.

As Steer says (If you want a vehicle you can throw around happily, abuse, take off the beaten track, wade in slush and still cruise in total comfort (nothing comes close on Indian roads) at good speeds on the highway, then its the Safari).

Nothing can beat the comfort of a Safari. Go test drive both the cars and finally you are the decider.

Reply once you decide and buy one
Old 14th February 2007, 19:15   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

The Innova would be a better option for you, doctor.
Old 14th February 2007, 19:42   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Hi Doc,
As STEEROID mentioned Safari goes where there are no roads(It makes its own Road). INNOVA is only a minivan with 5 seating capacity the 3rd row is only for two 10 yr old kids, forget adults sitting in that row.
Safari's middle row is the best in business, no questions about it. However, I disagree with the statement about the 3rd row of Innova. I am not very tall (5'10'') but I was quite comfortable on 3rd row of Innova.

Doctorkats,

If you don't go off-roading and if you can live with the minivan looks of Innova, just go with it.

I personally have been in a similar situation in the sense that I want a bigger car which can hold 6 to 7 adults occasionally. I love the looks of Safari and the character it exudes but I don't like lack of refinement in it. I love everything about Innova except for its looks and there is no way in hell I am going to buy a minivan. So, I am waiting for a better option and cursing Toyota for not launching Fortuner in India.
Old 14th February 2007, 19:45   #14
Senior - BHPian

Innova... Its smooth as silk, the engine though 102 bhp feels more powerful when you drive, the interiors, the quality is great and justifies the price you pay for it but it wont excite you when you look at it, you wont be sitting hours at end pondering what alloys shall i put on it, you wont find it attractive when dirty with splashings of mud everywhere, you children wont be excitingly telling their friends "My DAD owns an Innova", they wont even wash the car with you ;-) .... Safari will give you all this and more. What the heck, if shutlines are not millimeters perfect, an odd piece of plastic looks out of place... its big, its comfortable, its safe, reasonably powerful, will take you almost anywhere and come back too, wont cost you a bomb when servicing or replacing consummable spares, its Indian... most importantly you will want to look at it, drive it, kids will ask for a drive... go buy the Safari, afterall you live only once.
Somethings are beyond obvious.... just what love and passion are all about.

P.S I own a Fiat Palio and i bought it inspite of every single soul asking me to go for a santro or a wagon r and till date i dont repent my decision.
Old 15th February 2007, 04:33   #15
BHPian

thanks all!
i'll wait for the new dicor 2.2
test drive her and then drive the innova once more and take a final call.
by the way how good is the ABS and elec braking on the dicor?

Most Viewed