Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2019, 23:35   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Kia Seltos 1.5D vs Hyundai Creta 1.4D vs something else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Boot space:
  • Kia Seltos: 433 L
  • Creta: 405 L
  • Nissan KICKS: 400L
How can Seltos/Creta can have 'very small' bootspace and Kicks has 'much larger'?

Except the tire space jutting in in Creta, I can't see how the difference can be so vast.

Before jumping to any conclusions about the boot space from just images, I suggest you take a tape measure and check the boot measurements of these cars for yourself - which is what I did and I started the thread (link of which I shared in my previous post.)
Like I said in my thread, the boot space reported by many companies is incorrect and misleading- even in the case of my own Jeep Compass.

Last edited by Behemoth : 26th September 2019 at 23:39.
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2019, 12:01   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendream View Post
If you’re fine to wait till December/ January why not wait some more and we will have the new Hyundai creta...
Quote:
Originally Posted by parik_ind View Post
If you are willing to wait, then the 2020 Creta can be an option too. It is bigger than the current model and will pack in many gizmos and features that are currently lacking. The 2020 Creta will share the engine with the Seltos; the tune may be different though.
Parik
Thanks for the suggestions. I am not a big fan of the new Creta design. Waiting for it means I need to wait for a year when the initial feedback for the new model is available. Also by then, some other new model would be up for launch and the wait will be never ending cycle!

I will wait till the end of the year for few reasons - year end discounts, user feedback from initial buyers of Seltos and deciding the fate of my current car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Hi Ashis89,
Let me throw a spanner in the works here. How about a used S-Cross 1.6?
Currently I drive a pre-owned car for the past 5.5 yrs./70k kms (the one before was preowned too). I am not averse to another such car if I come across a good deal. However we, as a family, have made purchase decisions at the spur of a thought. We never 'searched' for any used cars but came across such deals by word of mouth from known sources.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
My friend in Coimbatore bought a used one 4 months ago for about 7.5 lakhs. He had similar requirements like you and was upgrading from a Zen Estilo. Only drawback is the turbo-lag but he says anything is an upgrade from the 1.0 of the Estilo. You're anyway not going to fit 2 weeks worth luggage for 4 adults into the boots of any of the cars you or I mentioned.
My wife loves the new S-Cross! But after reading about the Kungfu Panda losing its dentures, I won the battle. If and when I consider a Maruti, I will look for a petrol Ciaz or a petrol S-Cross.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Before jumping to any conclusions about the boot space from just images, I suggest you take a tape measure and check the boot measurements of these cars for yourself - which is what I did and I started the thread (link of which I shared in my previous post.)
Like I said in my thread, the boot space reported by many companies is incorrect and misleading- even in the case of my own Jeep Compass.
I believe the available boot space in the shortlisted cars would be enough for me. The lower models that I am looking at, don't have a parcel tray too and that will give me some extra space(*trying to see the bright side of the lost feature). My current car has a boot space of 180L and hence, my benchmark is very low!

Edit: With Ford planning to 'move' out, I will have to re-evaluate my back-up options as well.

Last edited by ashis89 : 27th September 2019 at 12:15. Reason: Adding Ford to the discussion!
Old 29th September 2019, 20:37   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Seltos

Sunday being a holiday, I thought of visiting few car showrooms to TD potential cars. First stop - Automotive Kia at Shilpa Park. The place was busier than Secunderabad railway station and as expected, they didn't give me a TD car when I requested for one. I was told that customers had booked their TD online and now were waiting for their turn in the showroom. I checked their website for spot booking but didn't get any available slots for today. We checked out the available display cars.

Seltos is big enough and yet seems compact. I had to keep the seat at the bottom most position for a decent head room and to be able to walk in easily. However, with that, I can barely see the bonnet, forget the end of the bonnet. The high placed dashboard is to be blamed here. Front seats are big and comfortable. With me in the driver seat, I got very good leg space when I moved to the back seat. Boot space is flat and very long but height is less. So far, the initial impressions are good. Interiors felt very good but my benchmark is low.

Nexon

My friend wanted me to reconsider the Nexon so we drove down to Venkataramana Tata Motors, Gachibowli. No manual Nexon TD vehicles available. We explored the display car. Driving position and the front seats are very good. Interiors felt decent, a notch less than the Seltos. With the driving seat adjusted as per my comfort, I had good leg space in the rear seats. The boot was a decent upgrade from my current car.

Coming the negatives, I still didn't like the overall silhouette. Looking from the front seat, the dashboard extends too long till the base of the windscreen. Because of the raised car floor and sloping roof line, I had to 'crouch' in and out of the car.The front seats are one size smaller than the Seltos and the car is a 4-seater, as per me. Discounts offered without any negotiations - 25k.

Later in the evening, we visited Concorde, Chanda Nagar. It was the same story, no TD cars available(even though I saw a Nexon D TD car parked outside their showroom). We had a look at the Harrier too but were disappointed due to apparent quality issues. Between the 2 Tata showrooms, we checked out 5 Harriers - TD cars and display cars. Different cars had different fit and finish issues. In one TD cars, the internal door handle (leather coated) was out of place and it came out when I tugged it slightly. I pushed it back and it was business as usual!

Creta

Then we went to Kun Hyundai, Gachibowli. Creta TD car also not available. It felt like an unlucky day. However the sales person was interested to make a sale and was explaining me things I already knew. Checked out the display car and found the view from the front seat is better than the Seltos. Seats were as comfortable as the Seltos but there's a catch. With the front seat adjusted as per my comfort level, I had lesser leg space in the back, as compared to the Seltos. Boot was big enough. No discounts on 1.4 D Creta and a 50k discount on 1.6D, without any negotiations.

Wild card entry - Ciaz

After a frustrating 'no TD car' day, we decided to have a look at the Ciaz at Jayabheri Nexa. Since it was an unplanned decision, I wasn't sure which car should I TD - petrol or diesel? One of the SAs recognized me. I had taken the delivery of another friend's Baleno from their showroom, back in April 2016. Explored the display car - all good except for the slightly low seating, lack of headroom in the rear bench and the Maruti build quality. Within five minutes he got a petrol Ciaz for TD. The low end response is too good to be true. Slot into 1st, release the clutch and the car rolls off without any struggle. I never used the accelerator while covering more than 500 mts in bumper to bumper traffic. Same thing in the 2nd, it moves really well without any struggle. I drive a Suzuki K10 powered car and have good experience with the K12 too. This K15 was so much better. Discounts offered - 40k on the Alpha and 80k on the Delta. While offer is very tempting and the car was very good, I will let it pass as I felt comfortable in the seats of the Creta and Seltos.

Note: I was talking to the SA about S-Cross petrol and he said as far as he knows, the SCross petrol is at least a year away. And since the current 1.3L diesel will be phased out, the Scross's production will stop very soon!

Will schedule some test drives for the Creta and Seltos in near future.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2019, 00:22   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
S-Cross petrol
Its a heavy car, so may not feel the same way as a ciaz P. The diesel does the job, its the abuse friendliness that's the USP.

I was offered a 2018 Creta SX for 16L when I went last year. Was way out of budget and did not have cruise, which was one of my requirement.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2019, 14:12   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

After thinking for a week, we decided Seltos was the best option for us. So my wife didn't want to check-out or TD any other car. Yesterday, we TDed the 1.5D MT and 1.4TP MT.

Dealer experience: Bangalore
Yesterday we got some spare time to kill and headed to JSP KIA showroom in Marathalli, just to check out the car. I had booked a TD for today morning and wasn't expecting to get any TD without a prior booking(after having a bad experience in Hyderabad my expectations were low).

The display cars were all HTK Plus models - Orange, Blue, white and Silver ones. The TD cars were in Blue, Red and Grey. There were a few customers in the showroom who were checking out the cars and also going for TDs. Me and my wife simply walked around and checked out the display by ourselves.

Within few mins, a SA joined us(Mr. Shrisha) and patiently answered our queries. I expressed my desire to TD a manual diesel car and he readily agreed. I clearly told him that I was looking for diesel and manual only. We went for ~4 km TD which I cut short because of traffic. Then I asked if a 1.5P MT TD car was available but was informed no such TD car was available throughout Bangalore. He suggested I try the 1.5P IVT but I declined as I liked manuals only. Then he suggested I try the 1.4 GTline manual as that has very good performance which we should get a feel of. We went for 8 km long TD of the turbo petrol. Once we returned, he suggested I try the DCT model of the turbo petrol which feels even better. I loved the fact that I interested in a cheaper diesel and yet, was being offered the TD of the range of vehicles for an experience sake.

The best dealership experience we have had till date.
Rating: 9/10.

Drive experience:
1.5 Diesel Manual

+ Negligible turbo lag and very good in-gear acceleration. I was able to close in on the gaps in the traffic and loved the experience

+ I could move from standstill in the 2nd gear

+ Very eager and revv-happy engine

+ Very good ride over the broken roads

+ Excellent brakes

+ Silent cabin and low engine noise even when standing beside the car

+ Gear shifts were good

- The FE in the MID was 9.9 kmpl and the car is 1500 kms old. It could have been better

- View from the driver seat could have been better. With a comfortable seating position, I could barely see the edge of the bonnet

1.4 Turbo Petrol Manual

+ Very fast once the turbo spools

+ Compared to diesel, has turbo lag. It takes that extra second to get to the turbo zone, after which it pulls much stronger than the diesel. The in gear acceleration is very good and addictive

- Engine protests with vibration if the revvs fall low. I could reverse the diesel car on a slight slope just by releasing the clutch. The turbo petrol struggled at the same place when I released the clutch and was happy when I gave some gas.

- Brakes felt inferior in this car compared to the diesel

- The FE on the MID was 7.5 kmpl which I felt, was respectable for the performance but low for daily usage

- LED lights look good but I felt the performance was average. Not sure how good they would be in the rains.

- My shoe was getting stuck in the sports clutch pedal of this car. The experience in the diesel car was very smooth

We are looking at HTK/HTK plus diesel MT but undecided on the color.

Last edited by ashis89 : 6th October 2019 at 14:14.
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2019, 13:56   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post

Budget: ~12-13 lakhs OTR (at max).

I am 6ft tall and love driving long distances (1000+ kms) every few months in my car. My requirements are below:
  • Tall and straight seating position like my current car and being able to 'walk' into my car rather than crouching
  • Very effective AC
  • Good in-gear acceleration as that is what matters in daily use
  • Good low end torque. Call me stupid but I love it when the car can start in the 2nd gear or atleast clear the speed breaker!
  • Neutral handling and very good braking
  • Better cabin space than my WagonR
  • Very good boot space as we travel for 2-3 weeks at a time and carry a lot of luggage
  • On any normal day, it would be 1 or 2 people in the car but it should seat 4 people in good comfort.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Boot space:
  • Kia Seltos: 433 L
  • Creta: 405 L
  • Nissan KICKS: 400L
How can Seltos/Creta can have 'very small' bootspace and Kicks has 'much larger'? I travelled in Creta with fair amount of luggage, and found the space to be quite adequate.

Visually too, please help us spot the difference.

Nissa Kicks boot space

Attachment 1918451

Creta Boot space

Attachment 1918452

Except the tire space jutting in in Creta, I can't see how the difference can be so vast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Both of these cars have a very small bootspace and the real usable boot space in these cars is actually around 300L below the parcel shelf.
If you really need a proper boot space, you should also look at the Nissan Kicks too as the boot is much larger than these cars. Do take a tape measure and check it out (I have actually measured the boot of all these cars myself!)
The Kicks also has a great suspension and will be a good enthusiastic car with the Renault diesel engine which is proven.

Also it has proper dual barrel headlamps in all versions, whereas both these cars have single barrel halogen projectors (in lower and mid versions) which are not too great for nighttime highway driving.

Hey ashish,
I own a diesel Kicks and regarding boot space, its so true that looking at the boot space physically means a lot. On paper its just like an illusion. I can very well compare my kicks space is a little more than a jeep compass at some angle. While its certainly a lot more than what creta and seltos offers.

Kicks had a price / variant correction recently, and if you dont mind about the brand state, why not go and have a look in person.

While if you are comparing Creta / Seltos, any day I would pick Seltos than the bland looking creta at 13-15 lakh budget similar to what GTO mentioned! Though Kia belongs to Hyundai, it operates as a separate entity and do have a separate factory and not share along with hyundai.

What made me buy kicks?

I travel a lot, 1.5 to 2k per month pure HW, No city drives.
Budget under 15L Diesel

Option considered:

Creta- Over priced, and outdated design, mass owned, TD did not impress me or my wife
Duster- Lacked updates and outdated design, 2019 upgrade was not sure when it will happen, only rumors was prevailing during late 2018. TD Vehicle was pathetic
Kia/MG- Launch was 6 months ahead during my purchase ( I got during Feb 19) dont know any whereabouts of price and spec. or launch date or vehicle delivery and was in immediate need for a car.
Xuv 300- I dont like this brand, and saw the car at KIA airport and did not liked it.

KICKs
Stylish and modern design of my taste ( my current car BEAT too similar styling), Proven Engines and platform, Large and solid built vehicle, Confident driving habits on HW than creta, more spacious among the competitors, dealer at my city have strong presence in south TN and 15 min drive from my home. My close family owns Micra at Bangalore, Sunny at Coimbatore, both are satisfied and never told me no for going to Nissan. I never bothered about Future Fate of Nissan, as I liked the car and will hold it minimum 7-9 years, Engine and spares are shared by many models by Renault- Nissan and the factory JV is here to stay. FYI I own a Chevy Beat too, and never bothered that Chevy Stopped its sales, I love the car and I am owning it. My Kicks has 13.5k on the odo and I am very satisfied on its performance.

Last edited by jeganatu : 7th October 2019 at 14:03.
jeganatu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 11:40   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Update

Booked a KIA Seltos HTK Plus Diesel MT in Intense Red on Oct 11th. Tentative delivery is end October for that model+color combo. The SA suggested HTK model in Intense Red or HTK Plus in other colors, as it will be available a week early. But my heart is set on the the HTK Plus and wife wants the Intense Red color only!

Meanwhile my uncle suggested that I check out the Hector as well and asked me to consider a petrol or petrol-hybrid car. While it does make some sense, I wanted to experience the diesel torque and the frugal fuel costs. I am not expecting any change of plans for now.
ashis89 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 21:57   #23
BHPian

Dear ashis89 I am exactly in the same situation owning a 2011 wagon r. Looking at creta 2020 and seltos. Since you have already comprehensively researched these let me take advantage of your knowledge. Feature wise am I correct in assuming creta ex diesel and seltos htk diesel are similar? Or are there any difference s? The price tag is almost similar it appears. Is there a rear camera in htk? Creta ex is missing that.
Old 21st November 2020, 07:40   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONESTabdul View Post
Dear ashis89 I am exactly in the same situation owning a 2011 wagon r. Looking at creta 2020 and seltos. Since you have already comprehensively researched these let me take advantage of your knowledge. Feature wise am I correct in assuming creta ex diesel and seltos htk diesel are similar? Or are there any difference s? The price tag is almost similar it appears. Is there a rear camera in htk? Creta ex is missing that.
When I did the research, the new Creta was not launched in the market and hence, my findings on this thread were based on the outgoing model.

I looked up the features of the new Creta now. You are correct that the new Creta EX and Seltos HTK are at par in terms of features. The only two things extra in the HTK are rear view camera and front fog lamps. Apart from looks, the only other difference between these two models is the way the suspension and steering has been tuned, Seltos being the stiffer of the two.

I would suggest please test drive both the cars and choose one which appeals the most to you! You won't go wrong with either of them. All the best and happy shopping!

PS: it's difficult to find a replacement for a WagonR
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks