Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which compact SUV would you pick?
Hyundai Venue 98 18.08%
Maruti Vitara Brezza 29 5.35%
Mahindra XUV300 62 11.44%
Tata Nexon 137 25.28%
Ford EcoSport 199 36.72%
Honda WR-V 8 1.48%
Other (please specify in your post) 9 1.66%
Voters: 542. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2020, 19:37   #136
BHPian

Re: My 1st Automatic Car - Budget 11 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
I can't say if it has a real problem besides its fuel inefficiency in the city (I get 16 on the highway, 10 in the city). I've been eyeing comments about the automatic XL6 and Ertiga and there as well, people have expressed their disappointment at the ancient gearbox and the lesser gears. But I haven't read a concrete drawback about it yet.

As for me - I find it adequate. This "ancient" gearbox reminds me of the rock-solid automatic cars that I've driven in the US.
Great then I guess Brezza is the only minimum compromise SUV in my budget. Definitely looking forward for the test drive now
dhruvky94 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 20:03   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvky94 View Post
Great then I guess Brezza is the only minimum compromise SUV in my budget. Definitely looking forward for the test drive now
An apple-to-apple comparison with the 6 speed Automatic Ecosport would help you decipher what's so wrong with a 4 speed I guess. All the best!
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2020, 20:05   #138
BHPian

I bought an XUV 300 W6AT and I absolutely love my car. It's only after buying an automatic that I realized that I like driving.

You will get an exceptionally safe car. The Pirelli AMT from Italy is really good and while you do feel the gear shift a little for the first three gears, its a really smooth ride. The ride quality with the 16-inch types is excellent. I bought the car on a Friday, drove from Hyderabad to Hampi on Saturday and gave it for its first service on Tuesday after completing 1000 Kms.

I have now completed 9500 Kms in six months and the car has never given me a reason to complain.

You will miss Andriod Auto and the boot is a bit small for a car worth 12 Lakhs but 3 people can sit in the backset comfortably and the car drives like a dream.

I had only two criteria while buying a car. I wanted a really safe/strong car. I wanted an Indian car. The budget was self imposed based on my perception of value for money.
akshay_ritz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2020, 22:05   #139
BHPian

I've noticed that first car buyers tend to share the following
  1. Find smaller cars easier to estimate where the car ends
  2. Get multiple dents early on in their ownership
  3. Feel terrible when that happens - more than someone on their 2nd/3rd car
  4. Are surprised at the magnitude of increase in fuel (5x), service (10x) and maintenance costs (10x) compared to a bike
  5. Get a greater increase in happiness and quality of life than someone buying their nth car
Therefore, I recommend you spend only half your budget on a 2-5 year old car that has done less than 40k km of a manufacturer that's known for reliable cars that age well (Toyota, Honda, Hyundai) and has full service history. And you can always send it to the ASS to do a through check on it if you aren't getting a mechanic.
If you don't want to feel like you're making a compromise with an old car then spend your full budget on a car in a segment higher. A used C2 segment car is and feels way better than a new B2 segment car. And you'll keep it longer, thereby saving a lot of money.

Anyway new cars are all priced unjustifiably high. And the new feeling lasts only a few months of the 10 odd years that one should own a car.

Last edited by evil_grin : 24th March 2020 at 22:09.
evil_grin is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th March 2020, 19:38   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay_ritz View Post
I bought an XUV 300 W6AT and I absolutely love my car. It's only after buying an automatic that I realized that I like driving.
I don't see XUV 300 having any AMT option for Petrol. Is your's Diesel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_grin View Post
I've noticed that first car buyers tend to share the following
Nice points... however, I didn't find any good second-hand car in a reasonable price range when I was looking. That's why decided to shift to a new car.
Old 25th March 2020, 22:20   #141
BHPian

Quote:
I don't see XUV 300 having any AMT option for Petrol. Is your's Diesel?
Yes I bought the W6 diesel. The 1.5 engine is powerful and I get 14KMPL with 100% AC usage. You do miss out on rear AC vents if that's a criterion for you. I loved the steel and quality of build so it was a no brainer for me.
akshay_ritz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2020, 11:59   #142
BHPian

Quote:
I didn't find any good second-hand car in a reasonable price range when I was looking. That's why decided to shift to a new car.
That's because Bangalore has the worst second hand market in any city I've seen in India. Just check second hand car prices in Delhi and you'll get jealous. I've seen people demand 70-75% value for their 4 year old car in Bangalore. It's crazy! Plus there aren't many options for automatic buyers since automatics weren't that popular 3-4 years ago.

I think the major reason why Bangalore's market is so bad is because people are fine with buying second hand. Since the demand is high, prices are too. In Delhi, second hand is considered as poor man's option and seen as a bit of a taboo, hence the low prices.

On top of that, Bangalore's traffic degrades the car at a way faster rate. Go for a new car!
darkgamer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2020, 10:30   #143
BHPian

Quote:
I agree from a safety view point but given that my highway usage will be less than 40%, I am ok with that. However, in city we may encounter accidents at very low speeds, bumps etc where the car may get dented. That is my biggest concern for Baleno.
With all due respect, that logic for crash safety is an absolute fallacy. Cars are crash tested at 60 kmph and you can see the state of those vehicles. So if you're never planning to cross 40 kmph, then yes, it does make sense but otherwise you're leaving it down to sheer luck.

This argument only applies when you consider highway stability, where ESP/VSC, wider tires and track, centre of gravity etc come into question.
saur95 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2020, 00:15   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Arun,

Thanks for such a detailed post
Even my family has a good experience with Hyundai, but me being a newbie have no idea. Although this is what everyone is telling me. I would have got the i20 Auto ASAP but it's discontinued :(
So is the Grand i10 Auto. I have not really looked into Aura that much though.
Hey Dhruv, a pleasure brother!

I was just thinking, should I ask you to wait for the new Hyundai i20. Looks gorgeous to me

https://www.cartoq.com/hyundai-elite-i20-bs6-launched/

Think about it.

Regards,
Arun
drive1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2020, 01:12   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive1987 View Post
Hey Dhruv, a pleasure brother!

I was just thinking, should I ask you to wait for the new Hyundai i20. Looks gorgeous to me

https://www.cartoq.com/hyundai-elite-i20-bs6-launched/

Think about it.

Regards,
Arun
I'm very sorry. The correct link is this: https://www.cartoq.com/all-new-hyundai-elite-i20-video/
drive1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2020, 08:21   #146
BHPian

I think if you are buying in this economy, you should ask for a BIG DISCOUNT - start with 50% at least. Go with a good script, tell them about inventory costs, interest rates, duty to the nation, humanity, anything ...
mvadg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2020, 11:18   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive1987 View Post
I'm very sorry. The correct link is this: https://www.cartoq.com/all-new-hyundai-elite-i20-video/
Yeah the new i20 looks amazing. I was not very inclined towards the i20 because of the release date (2020 end) but given how this year has been and with no certainty for the future, if this situation extends close to 2020 end, I may end up booking i20 itself

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
I think if you are buying in this economy, you should ask for a BIG DISCOUNT - start with 50% at least. Go with a good script, tell them about inventory costs, interest rates, duty to the nation, humanity, anything ...

Certainly not going to buy right now or anytime soon... Keeping a close watch on the economy and my finances!
dhruvky94 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2020, 13:13   #148
BHPian

Hey All,

Thanks for this wonderful community for helping out in shortlisting my first car
Given the situation and the current economy conditions, I am not sure when I will be pulling the trigger but I will keep updating the thread frequently once I start with the process

This is a great community, stay safe everyone
Old 21st May 2020, 08:38   #149

Hi,
Firstly buying a sedan or a hatch really depends on your family's needs and the kind of usage you plan.
Secondly any form of automatic transmission is ok so long as you maintain proper driving habits. You will get the max from your car depending on how you use and maintain it. One piece of advice if you buy an automatic car and use it regularly in heavy traffic is to form the habit of shifting to neutral when not moving.
Power of the car again is a habit based choice. If you are habitually driving in a sport car fashion some of these cars may prove a disappointment. A good driver will always understand how the car responds and tune his or her driving habits to get the maximum out of it.
Choose wisely. It's your money and your needs.
Dharmesh M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 12:44   #150
BHPian

I think the person who told you that it is dent-able only by leaning or opening or closing the bonnet too much must hate Maruti build quality and sounds like just a bunch of bull.

Now, yes, the thin metal is thinner than one would expect, but that is because of advancement in technology.

The heartect platform Maruti is using at the moment is known for it's structural rigidity and low kerb weight, which is why most Maruti's tip the scales somewhere under 1,000 kilos.

Also, my personal experience says that the Baleno is just fine for highway driving, although that's because I prefer an engaging and enthusiastic drive, which honestly, a CVT would never be able to provide, but for a newbie such as yourself, it'll do wonders.
It's comfortable during long drives and also, inspires enough confidence at 100-120.

Coming to the city driving, the CVT is a boon. It can be a little jerky at times, but 95% it does it's job well and you'll definitely love the ease of operation.

Comparing this to other cars, like the i10 Nios AMT and the Venue Automatic:

AMT's aren't as refined, period.
Plus Baleno means more features, more space and practicality, so why not!

The Venue though, is a different story, it's a smart looking car.
Has all the features you need and drives well too.
Typical modern Hyundai.
You'd probably love the connectivity features, because well, you're young.

So basically it comes down to a few points.

1. Frugality - Baleno.
2. Interiors and features - Venue
3. Exteriors - a draw in my opinion, depends on what you're looking for (a hatch or an SUV)

You can't go wrong between the two.
You'll love 'em both, I'm sure.
So just pick what your heart wants and go for it.

. The car is under-powered, at least for my driving needs. That, coupled with a CVT transmission, would be quite boring to drive.

For an enthusiast such as yourself, I agree.
I've felt that way more often than not, but I'd recommend you try the manual if you haven't, it totally changed my perspective of the way the Baleno drives.
Coming from 2011 Hyundai i20 which has similar power and weighs double, I felt the Baleno manual was quite light, peppy and nimble. Fun to drive in short.

The CVT, I believe is the let down for people like us here.

Last edited by moralfibre : 21st May 2020 at 12:48. Reason: Back to back posts.
Kalash_6324 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks