Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which compact SUV would you pick?
Hyundai Venue 98 18.08%
Maruti Vitara Brezza 29 5.35%
Mahindra XUV300 62 11.44%
Tata Nexon 137 25.28%
Ford EcoSport 199 36.72%
Honda WR-V 8 1.48%
Other (please specify in your post) 9 1.66%
Voters: 542. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2020, 18:48   #196
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Venue vs the competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
He is from Delhi, so it probably removes Diesel from contention Sadly almost no car in this segment ticks all his boxes.
Then EcoSport AT is the only real option. It should cost ~12L-13L OTR. He could save the 2L and use it on fuel costs. It ticks all other boxes.
RoadMonkey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 12:13   #197

Yeah, not considering diesel. Basically it's for his father and ease of driving is a priority as he'll be doing around 300 KMs per week. Main Priority is on driving comfort (age factor) and fuel economy. Will be using the car for about 10-12 years.
Old 5th December 2020, 01:02   #198
BHPian

Used CSUV to replace Chevy Beat

Hello Everyone,

I am looking for a replacement for my Chevy Beat and have been very confused for last few weeks. The car is Diesel LT variant, 8.5 yr old with 90 K on odometer with Delhi registration (so approaching 10 yr rule limit). It’s in excellent shape and can certainly accompany us for another 8 years. However I need a replacement because of -
  • Space- my son has a car seat that is placed behind the passenger front seats. After adjusting for his legroom there is hardly and legroom left for me.
  • Boot space - we love our drives and it’s always a compromise given its small 180 Liters boot.
  • Safety - it has just seat belts and I am craving for ABS, EBD, ESP, Hill assist and min 2 airbags.

My requirements are -
  1. Budget- <7.5 Lakh OTR and I am primarily looking at 2-3 yr old pre owned CSUV in Delhi.
  2. Safety - Strong structure, ABS, EBD, ESP, Hill assist and min 2 airbags. (i think it will translate to 4 stars)
  3. Boot space - Good boot that can accommodate 1 medium, 2 small & 1 laptop bag. I guess it will be approx 300 LT.
  4. Automatic or refined AMT - my wife doesn’t want to move away from MT where she can control the car with clutch and break but is willing to consider given the convenience foe me (primary driver)
  5. Good ride quality & comfort- I have sporadic instances of lower back pain (hence the automatic) but we love our drives - so we need something which keeps us fatigue free even after driving hours and hours. Also it should be able to take us to small trails. My Beat has done several trails with its 175 mm GC, so I value GC a lot.
  6. Diesel or petrol with good fuel efficiency - my running would be ~1500 KMs a month and I love the torquey diesels. Besides I think for my running I will recover the diesel premium in 2-3 years.
  7. Future ready - Features & strong build to last another 5 years without any major maintenance. For this reason Duster is not an option.
  8. Ease to park - well this is just to ensure the car is easy to ride & park in city traffic as well. Both me (65%) and my wife (35%) will drive the car and she is more comfortable with upright sitting of a CSUV/Tall boy and both of us want a car that's easy to park.

The cars shortlisted -
  1. Brezza Diesel AMT - my wife likes the design. It’s a practical option, but I am afraid of the service attitude of Maruti and also the build quality (and that unrefined AMT). Also being a Maruti it is overpriced in used car market.
  2. Ecosport 1.5 Dragon AT -Both of us love Ecosport but are worried for the fuel bills. I have heard 9-10 KMPL in real life conditions.
  3. Nexon Diesel AMT - my wife doesn’t like the design, where as I love the value for money aspect, so it’s a rather difficult situation. However we have no Tata phobia.
  4. XUV 300 diesel AMT - heard good stories about its refined AMT and space. Bummer is hardly any available in used car market in my budget and then boot space may become deal breaker.

At this stage I haven't visited any dealer, so all of this is based on my reading in the forum and searching classifieds in TBHP or elsewhere. Also I am not in hurry. But I am confused with options and wanted to take your opinion before I actively start looking.

Also if I may add another complexity to this - once the pandemic is over or tentative April-May 2021, I will move to Bangalore. So I am keeping aside 70-80 K for road tax there. This also makes me think, should I keep my Chevy Beat. Transfer it to Bangalore, get a Karnataka number and then keep it for sometime. This way I can keep this for longer than 10 year (silly NCR rule for diesel cars) or can sell it in Bangalore. I hope I will get a better price than selling it in Delhi even after adjusting road tax. Am I being too hopeful.

Also if I keep Chevy Beat, then I have to keep compromising on space and safety- I think I can live with it for a year and half, but the question is should I ?
satishchugh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2020, 01:40   #199
Senior - BHPian

Re: Used CSUV to replace Chevy Beat

If you're sure you are moving to Bangalore, I'll say hold onto the Beat. Buying a car and then registering it again in another city after registering in the first city for 4-5 months does not make any sense. The better option is to sell the Beat when you leave Delhi & then buy a car in Bangalore.

Coming to your options, I'd recommend the Nexon since it is probably the safest car (apart from the XUV3OO), but the XUV3OO does not have the bootspace to match the others and as rightly pointed out by you, is available in very-low numbers in the pre-owned market.
akash_v12 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th December 2020, 04:42   #200
Senior - BHPian

Sounds like you need a car with more space - but I'd suggest coming to Bangalore and then buying the car to avoid running around in circles to get re-registration done. Try to sell your Beat in a little away from the NCR to get a better price.

Also, have you considered Amaze/Jazz/Baleno? All three are decent cars with super convenient ATs. Do note that the FE will be 9-11kmpl in City traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satishchugh View Post
Transfer it to Bangalore, get a Karnataka number and then keep it for sometime. This way I can keep this for longer than 10 year (silly NCR rule for diesel cars) or can sell it in Bangalore. I hope I will get a better price than selling it in Delhi even after adjusting road tax.
Pointless exercise for very little gain, if any.
Old 5th December 2020, 08:56   #201
Senior - BHPian

Makes sense to dispose the current ride before moving out. You will get a better price in Bangalore as compared to Delhi but the hassle is simply not worth it.

What you can try instead is purchase a diesel SUV from Delhi early next year and transfer it to Bangalore. Out of the options you have shortlisted, Nexon seems to be a good option.

Last edited by self_driven : 5th December 2020 at 08:58.
Old 5th December 2020, 11:26   #202
BHPian

Brezza and Nexon would be my first preference for your needs. You can also get a used Duster with or without AMT. 85 PS version is more reliable than 110 PS version. But getting a used Duster with less mileage is rare.

My friends near new used XUV 500 purchase has not been a very smooth experience. In 90k kms of driving he had to replace wheel bearings, suspension, bushes, brake pads quite frequently. Not exactly a very reliable car!
amit_purohit20 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2020, 19:27   #203
BHPian

If safety and space is your priority, go for nexon. As you have rightly pointed out, not many XUV 300s are available in the used car market.
Old 5th December 2020, 20:39   #204
BHPian

Thanks akash_v12, landcruiser123 & self_driven on your advice of selling the Beat when I leave NCR and buying a car in Bangalore. I am highly influenced by https://www.team-bhp.com/advice/logi...-old-used-cars and the crux for me is - Buying a 1-3 year old car is much more value than buying new. But it doesn't hold for Bangalore where the depreciation for 1-3 years old car is not much.

This leads me to believe -
1. Buying a car in NCR, and even after paying for road tax and the inconvenience of liasing with RTO, I will be saving money.
2. If I have to anyway take one car to Bangalore, then it doesn't matter whether its a new one or my Beat (If I want to keep it for sometime).

I plan to drive down from Delhi to Bangalore, so moving a car isn't a problem. This also means I will have a car at all times versus being without a car for lets say a few weeks if I were to sell Beat in NCR and buy in Bangalore.

amit_purohit20, Duster's interiors would be a big downgrade from my Beat . Also I feel it mayn't be easy to park in crowded places when compared to Brezza, Ecosport & Nexon.

Breathe2drive & amit_purohit20, thanks for your suggestions.

Waiting to hear the ownership experience from someone who owns Brezza & Nexon. Also hoping someone will have a out of box suggestion
satishchugh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2020, 09:45   #205
BHPian

One of my friends wants to buy a new car and his requirements are:
  1. SUV type (compact or midsize). He likes to sit higher and wants SUV look.
  2. Recently launched or facelifted model.
  3. Budget: 15 Lacs and can stretch if needed
  4. Powertrain: Petrol with Automatic gearbox. Decent performance is sufficient but should not be underpowered.
  5. FE should be >10 kmpl in moderate city traffic.
  6. Annual mileage: around 12K kms
  7. Driving pattern: 70% city (daily drive) and 30% outside city
  8. Safety is one of the top criteria
  9. Current car: 2013 Skoda Rapid diesel manual

I recommended him to test drive Nexon and Ecosport. He likes Harrier a lot but unfortunately only diesel is available. Seltos & Creta are ruled out due to border 3 star safety rating. Please recommend other good cars apart from Nexon and Ecosport.

Last edited by gopi_rm : 18th December 2020 at 10:12.
Old 18th December 2020, 11:19   #206
BHPian

Ask him to also TD the S Cross, Brezza and Urban Cruiser. I think that concludes the SUVs that meet your friend's requirements.
Don't expect FE>10 kmpl from the Ecosport in moderate city traffic.
MadAxe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2020, 11:33   #207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopi_rm View Post
I recommended him to test drive Nexon and Ecosport. He likes Harrier a lot but unfortunately only diesel is available. Seltos & Creta are ruled out due to border 3 star safety rating. Please recommend other good cars apart from Nexon and Ecosport.
If he is ready to forgo 10+ km/l requirement, MG Hector shall be a proper upgrade from his present ride. But its safety quotient will remain unclear till it goes through testing.

Otherwise the Vitara Brezza and XUV300 (diesel) are pretty good automatic cars in the sub-4m category apart from Ecosport and Nexon (DCT is expected only by mid-2021). Let him take a test drive of each one and decide.
self_driven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2020, 01:22   #208
BHPian

Quote:
I am looking for a replacement for my Chevy Beat and have been very confused for last few weeks. The car is Diesel LT variant, 8.5 yr old with 90 K on odometer with Delhi registration (so approaching 10 yr rule limit). It’s in excellent shape and can certainly accompany us for another 8 years. However I need a replacement ...

... once the pandemic is over or tentative April-May 2021, I will move to Bangalore. So I am keeping aside 70-80 K for road tax there. This also makes me think, should I keep my Chevy Beat. Transfer it to Bangalore, get a Karnataka number and then keep it for sometime. This way I can keep this for longer than 10 year (silly NCR rule for diesel cars) or can sell it in Bangalore. I hope I will get a better price than selling it in Delhi even after adjusting road tax. Am I being too hopeful.

Also if I keep Chevy Beat, then I have to keep compromising on space and safety- I think I can live with it for a year and half, but the question is should I ?
An update here -
  1. I saw top end low run 2 year old Nexon XZA and Brezza ZDI AMTs. Both are quoting 8.75 and not ready to negotiate. whereas my budget is only 7.5 and I feel anything above 8 is probably too high.
  2. I talked to a dealer and also got my Beat assessed at Cars24. Both are quoting ~85 K. I am willing to part with it at around 1.5 Lakh or may be a little less than that, but ~85 K is ridiculous.

I feel the best option now is to move it to Bangalore next year, pay for re-registration and then live with it for as long as possible.
Am I being emotionally attached to my car?

What do you guys suggest in my situation?
Old 19th December 2020, 07:41   #209
BHPian

Quote:
whereas my budget is only 7.5 and I feel anything above 8 is probably too high.

I feel the best option now is to move it to Bangalore next year, pay for re-registration and then live with it for as long as possible.
These points in your thread reminded me of this excellent thread:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buyin...to-longer.html (How a more expensive car can work out cheaper (if you hold onto it for longer))

In a couple of years, if you expect your budget to be higher, it might help to wait and get a better car, than compromise now due to budget considerations. You would also be extracting more value out of your Beat in the meantime.
My two cents: hold on to the Beat for now, and upgrade to a better car after a few years.
FlashMustang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2020, 18:03   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopi_rm View Post
One of my friends wants to buy a new car and his requirements are:
  1. SUV type (compact or midsize). He likes to sit higher and wants SUV look.
  2. Recently launched or facelifted model.
  3. Budget: 15 Lacs and can stretch if needed
  4. Powertrain: Petrol with Automatic gearbox. Decent performance is sufficient but should not be underpowered.
  5. FE should be >10 kmpl in moderate city traffic.
  6. Annual mileage: around 12K kms
  7. Driving pattern: 70% city (daily drive) and 30% outside city
  8. Safety is one of the top criteria
  9. Current car: 2013 Skoda Rapid diesel manual

We test drove Ecosport petrol auto and Nexon petrol manual and observed the following.
Ecosport
Pros:
  • Engine+Gearbox combo is decent inside the city but not powerful as turbo petrols.
  • Tried sport mode with paddle shifters and the responce was good.
  • Interior quality, design and infotainment screen are one of the best in the segment excluding Koreans.
  • Ford promises 2020 price for cars booked before Dec 31, 2020 and delivered with in Feb 2021. Tata did not offer the same.
Cons:
  • After checking out top 'S' variant, my friend felt it looks premium inside compared to Titanium+. But auto gearbox is not avaialble in S trim. Even Android Auto/Apple Carplay is not available in Titanium+.
  • ARAI rated FE itself is 14.xx kmpl so real world FE inside city would be in single digit.
  • Expected facelift in 2021 and unknown future of the Ford brand. There is no Ford showroom in an important Tier-2 city (Salem, TN) which raises question about the brand's future.

Tata Nexon
Pros:
  • Exterior looks are unbeatable in the segment
  • Petrol engine felt powerful and drive modes spiced up things. The car accelerated effortlessly.
  • Interior is roomy for 5 adults with good boot space
  • Music system is in another league compared to the competitors. There is no vibration or distortion even at full volume.
Cons:
  • Instrument cluster. Oh come on Tata! Altorz sitting in the lower price bracket gets nice IC with 7'' LCD whereas Nexon gets Tiago/Tigor's cheaper IC. Even pre-facelift Nexon had a decent analogue IC. Tata should have offered Altroz/Nexon EV's IC at least in the top XZ+(O) trim.
  • Infotainment screen felt smaller and resolution was not good.
  • Lights and wiper control stalks are decade old and did not felt nice.
  • Infotainment and climate control buttons look cheaper.
  • There are many storage spaces but not organized systematically. In today's age everyone carries a big smartphone but there is proper space to keep the smartphone in the centre console.
  • Drive mode selector knob should have been much smaller or replace it with a toggle button on centre console which will free up a lot of space.

Now the WORST:
  • We went to TAFE Access in Coimbatore city. The showroom felt like a typical govt. office.
  • Showroom was badly lit and none of the staff was wearing formal uniform.
  • There is no reception. Nobody asked why we are inside the showroom and checking out cars. After talking to 2 persons by ourselves, finally one sales guy was assigned to us.
  • They did not have petrol or diesel AMT test drive vehicle. It seems Tata marketing team thinks we have to test drive manual variant and book AMT variant. The story is same with 2nd private dealer in the city. If this is the case in a city like Coimbatore, I couldn't think about other Tier-2/3 cities.
  • I was unbale to believe that the showroom is selling 20+ lacs car. All other brand showrooms are much better.
  • From only one day experience, I feel that Tata would have lost many potential customers due to their poor/worst showroom and marketing.

Finally, Ecosport was rejected due to unavailability of autobox in S trim and Nexon was rejected due to the instrument cluster and dashboard design. I asked my friend to wait till mid 2021 for Skoda CSUV, XUV500 petrol and Harrier petrol models.
Off topic, we also test drove Altroz petrol and got impressed with the exterior design, looks, build quality, engine drivability, interior design with ambient lighting and premium instrument cluster.
It is sad to see in a relatively expensive price segment, there is no proper petrol automatic all rounder CSUV/SUV.

Nexon's IC:
Hyundai Venue vs the competition-tatanexoninstrumentcluster33.jpeg

Altroz's IC:
Hyundai Venue vs the competition-2020tataaltroz10.jpg
gopi_rm is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks