Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which compact SUV would you pick?
Hyundai Venue 98 18.08%
Maruti Vitara Brezza 29 5.35%
Mahindra XUV300 62 11.44%
Tata Nexon 137 25.28%
Ford EcoSport 199 36.72%
Honda WR-V 8 1.48%
Other (please specify in your post) 9 1.66%
Voters: 542. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2020, 13:14   #211
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Venue vs the competition

So my brother is planning an upgrade to a high GC crossover from his 7 year & 75k kms old brio. Budget ~12L OTR Kolkata.

Requirements:
1. Good Boot-space. This has been the only grouse with brio, so no compromise here.
2. Manual transmission. He enjoyed driving my Jazz cvt in Bangalore and Wayanad but loves the stick shift more for now
3. 16 inch wheels with good ride quality and handling
4. Sunroof. Personally I don’t understand the need but somehow this is one bling feature he needs.
5. Stable bodyshell, hence Venue/Sonet isn’t considered looking at their bigger brother’s performance.
6. Petrol engine as monthly running won’t cross 700-800kms max.

He loves long drives and has done many 1000kms+ drives across states. Latest being Kolkata to Raipur and back (1800kms). The current ride has been pretty reliable and hence looking at similar fuss free ownership. Considering following options:

Nexon: Ticks all boxes. Just one doubt about reliability of the 1.2L turbo petrol over long term.
WRV: Would have been the obvious choice considering its a Honda if not for the same 1.2L ivtec
XUV3OO: Bootspace is an issue and like Nexon a little skeptical about Mahindra petrol’s reliability over long term.
Brezza/UrbanCruiser: Considered due to 4* NCAP and the no nonsense 1.5L petrol practicality. Lack of sunroof and average interior is a turnoff.
Ecosport: Most probable pick. Downside is the cramped rear seat space.
Magnite: Its fresh out of the oven, so waiting for some user reviews and of course a GNCAP result.

Appreciate some feedback on the petrol engines in Nexon/XUV3OO. And any other options in manual transmission that we can look at? TIA

Last edited by SoumenD : 27th December 2020 at 13:23.
Old 27th December 2020, 14:35   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
So my brother is planning an upgrade to a high GC crossover from his 7 year & 75k kms old brio. Budget ~12L OTR Kolkata.

And any other options in manual transmission that we can look at? TIA
Skoda suv is right around the corner, will fulfill your brother's all needs, i think he should wait for the launch and then make a decision.

Read the skoda Vison thread from page 3, i have mentioned many details of the upcoming car.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...g-india-3.html
Old 29th December 2020, 10:16   #213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post
Skoda suv is right around the corner, will fulfill your brother's all needs, i think he should wait for the launch and then make a decision.

Read the skoda Vison thread from page 3, i have mentioned many details of the upcoming car.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...g-india-3.html
Yeah I have my eye on this one but don’t think it will be available in my budget specially the top end (on-road). Even if it is, need to wait out sometime for initial niggles (if any) to be sorted out as its a fresh product.

So primarily looking to get some insights on XUV3OO and Nexon Petrol engine reliability here. If some owners on the forum can throw some light would be helpful.
Old 29th December 2020, 11:20   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Yeah I have my eye on this one but don’t think it will be available in my budget specially the top end (on-road). Even if it is, need to wait out sometime for initial niggles (if any) to be sorted out as its a fresh product.

So primarily looking to get some insights on XUV3OO and Nexon Petrol engine reliability here. If some owners on the forum can throw some light would be helpful.
You won't get the top variant but you will get the base variant which is coming with some decent set of features but anyways, i am a regular reader of the nexon and xuv threads on tbhp and till now i haven't come across any issues with the engines of both the cars, moreover haven't read of a case on other Automotive news channels as well.

Recently my brother in law was in the same boat as you, xuv vs nexon, i was insisting on nexon as it has a bigger boot space, the rear look of the car looks complete as compared to chopped off look of xuv, the silver coloured interiors of xuv looks dated, and to me xuv is overpriced as compared to nexon, these are my opinion.

Take back to back test drives of both the cars, maybe longer ones and then decide, i would have gone with the nexon or base version of vision

Last edited by yesyeswe : 29th December 2020 at 11:22.
yesyeswe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 18:17   #215

Car recommendation under 13L OTR

Hi everyone

This is my first post in the forum, thanks to the moderators to approve my account

I'm looking to get a new car for daily office commute and occasional highway rides. Some background and details below

Usage: Daily office commute, around 20-30 kms in Noida and Delhi. Occasional rides to Delhi, Gurgaon for dining etc. Once a month ride back to hometown, Chandigarh

Owned cars: I have a Elite i20 Diesel 2014 model and a Verna Diesel 2017 model back at home. Due to this I'm looking at CSUV segment for now

I have slight inclination towards an automatic transmission due to traffic in daily rides.

Test drives done:
Kia Sonet iMT: Loved the overall looks and build quality inside, great fit and finish. Turbo petrol engine drives almost like a refined diesel. I found that although iMT frees up your left leg, the gear is hard and needs quite an effort to shift which I feel defeats the purpose of not going for a manual. I had shortlisted HTX model as HTK+ automatic variant does not some feel good features (Cruise control, rear armrest, push button start stop etc)

Nexon AMT: Car is well built and looks good as well, but overall we didn't like the AMT gearbox and the high road and tyre noise in our test drive vehicle

Brezza AT/MT: Overall I like this car a lot as it has all features which I needed and much better seat comfort than Sonet. Only thing I'm concerned about his how this petrol engine fares on highway rides. I've been driving Verna and i20 for many years now and they have super smooth and silent engines at 100 KMPH on the highway with no downshift needed to quickly accelerate to even 120, 130+ for overtakes even in 6th gear. Same goes for quick city overtakes not needing any downshifts due to high torque.
I've taken short drives of both AT and MT variants in the city. AT is super smooth, shifts at around 2K RPM if driven lightly, and shifts to even 1st gear at 40-50 speeds if I floor the pedal. How does city overtaking work in the brezza? Do I press the pedal a lot so it shifts lower down or would I get sufficient torque if I smoothly press it?
Does anyone as experience with Brezza AT on highway? What's the torque and RPM figures like at 100-110 KMPH on the highway?

Looking forward to your valuable inputs!
necromancer2610 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 21:32   #216
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Car recommendation under 13L OTR

I would also suggest you consider the Ecosport. It's still a very good buy in the CSUV segment today inspite of being the oldest. It also gets a Torque Converter like the Brezza, but has 6 gear ratios instead of 4 which would promise better fuel economy on the highway. The driving dynamics and Ford's low cost of ownership are an added bonus.

The only issue is the fact that Ford has deleted SYNC3 which means no Android auto or Apple carplay. The Titanium (which is now the top spec variant) also only has beige interiors as opposed to the black ones on the Titanium+. It's not a true top end in that sense but still gets 6 airbags, active rollover protection and the likes.

Judging by your TD verdicts, I suggest you narrow it down to the Ecosport and Brezza since you don't seem to have a liking towards AMTs. Both cars have their own USPs with the Brezza having the more spacious cabin, better equipment on the top end and a 4 star safety rating. The Ecosport on the other hand has ARP, 6 airbags, a better 6 speed auto tranny and better build.

Last edited by vishy76 : 10th January 2021 at 21:34.
vishy76 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 21:57   #217
BANNED

Re: Car recommendation under 13L OTR

Sonet Diesel Automatic or a Magnite CVT, or maybe even an i20 CVT.

Though my suggestion would be to get the Verna/i20 for yourself, and (assuming the cars back home are less used), get something else. The hyundai diesels are great mile muchers.
turbo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 01:58   #218

Thanks vishy75 and turbo for your suggestions
1. I'm concerned about Ecosport AT long term reliability and maintenance given Ford's weakening position in India. In our family we have the tradition of keeping cars for long (8-10 years). Should this be a concern?
2. Same concern with Magnite, especially given it's a new engine. Only drawback with Sonet Diesel AT is that it doesn't come in HTX variant . Would have immediately booked it then. Does anyone know if KIA has plans to launch HTX AT/DCT once their initial hype is over?
Old 12th January 2021, 08:40   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
I would also suggest you consider the Ecosport. It's still a very good buy in the CSUV segment today inspite of being the oldest. The Ecosport on the other hand has ARP, 6 airbags, a better 6 speed auto tranny and better build.
+1 to this. The Ecosport remains a very solid all rounder in this segment. The build quality and sense of sturdiness of the car is matched by very few of its competitors in the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by necromancer2610 View Post
1. I'm concerned about Ecosport AT long term reliability and maintenance given Ford's weakening position in India. In our family we have the tradition of keeping cars for long (8-10 years). Should this be a concern?
No, I do not think so. Long term reliability and maintenance should be taken care of even in the unlikely situation that the manufacturer stops selling cars in the country in the long term. Do not let this deter you from picking up an otherwise fantastic vehicle. Dont forget that the new Ecosport is coming up in the near future, so it is not that Ford is not looking at a future in India. The Ecosport should definitely feature on your shortlist.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 12th January 2021 at 08:41.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2021, 11:53   #220
BHPian

What car for a motorcyclist!

I am a 42 year old motorcyclist, in the sense I never really cared for cars. I have a 2006 Swift VXI which runs beautifully, but for the last couple of years the wifey and my son complains about the lack of comfort. I have changed motorcycles often in the past decades but have never thought about changing the car. What car would have the best creature comforts in the sub 12 lakhs range? I dont care how the car looks or how it performs as long as it is able to cruise at 100 to 120 kmph (which i believe all cars do). We are a family of 3. It will be my wife's primary vehicle, but I do the highway driving, so a little extra power would be appreciated. Frankly I don't even know what would be good car comfort.

I ride a KTM390 and a Kawasaki Z900 with pride.
Surajit333 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th January 2021, 12:13   #221
BHPian

Re: What car for a motorcyclist!

My shortlist to TD would be:
1. Tata Nexon
2. Tata Altroz Turbo
3. MS S-Cross
4. MS Brezza / Toyota Urban Cruiser
RavSam is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2021, 12:23   #222
Senior - BHPian

Will second RavSam here.

My list is basically the same as his:

- Tata Nexon
- Tata Altroz Turbo
- Nissan Magnite (?)

Wildcard Entry - Skoda Rapid/VW Vento

Last edited by akash_v12 : 30th January 2021 at 12:53.
Old 30th January 2021, 12:29   #223
BHPian

Why no mention of Renault Kiger?
Old 30th January 2021, 12:36   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surajit333 View Post
The Kiger has only just been unveiled. The expected launch is somewhere around Mid-March IIRC. If you're willing to wait, then that too can be an option.

Also, it would a bit more helpful if you could mention your safety requirements too since it will help us narrow down the list to a few options!
akash_v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2021, 12:42   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surajit333 View Post
Purely going by the reviews the Magnite was said to have a harsh (?) ride. Correct me if I'm wrong. If the Kiger is tuned same as the Magnite then I'm not sure both of them would classify as a "comfortable car".
RavSam is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks