Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which compact SUV would you pick?
Hyundai Venue 98 18.08%
Maruti Vitara Brezza 29 5.35%
Mahindra XUV300 62 11.44%
Tata Nexon 137 25.28%
Ford EcoSport 199 36.72%
Honda WR-V 8 1.48%
Other (please specify in your post) 9 1.66%
Voters: 542. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2021, 13:06   #226
Senior - BHPian

Re: What car for a motorcyclist!

I would recommend the following, assuming you want petrol and manual, please take a detailed TD for engine response and rear seat comfort :
- Altroz Turbo : seems apt
- S-Cross : good all rounder and larger, check for the rear seat comfort
- Nexon : check on the rear seat comfort, have heard its a bit harsh at low speeds but otherwise good
- XUV300 : power is good but you might not like the slightly aggressive power delivery on boost, rear seat comfort has to be checked, have heard mixed reviews

Car comfort, to me, is basically how well the suspension soaks up bumps, potholes and those flyover joints at different speeds without tossing around the occupants(especially rear seat). Another aspect is how well the seats support you. In simple terms the difference between how you feel on a 390 after 400kms in the saddle vs a CB Hornet.

PS : IMO all these cars will be better than the Swift in comfort.

Last edited by shancz : 30th January 2021 at 13:18. Reason: added missed resp
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2021, 13:17   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surajit333 View Post
What car would have the best creature comforts in the sub 12 lakhs range? I dont care how the car looks or how it performs as long as it is able to cruise at 100 to 120 kmph (which i believe all cars do).
If seating comfort is your main priority then my recommendations would be:
1. Tata Nexon
2. Kia Sonet
If you specify the preferred fuel and transmission type, BHPians would be able to guide you better.
MadAxe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2021, 13:22   #228
Senior - BHPian

You are not a car guy. And therefore, it would be mostly lady driven. So, the car has to be more of "fill it forget it" type with minimal maintenance and reliability should be max.

With above implicit requirements, suggest to go with Japanese cars like toyota or Suzuki. Going with Tatas or Mahindras can be assumed to expect more maintenance and care as compared to Japanese counterparts.

Since you already have Maruti Swift, suggest to look for an upgrade from Maruti only. May be Baleno or Ciaz. If size is not a constraint, you can look at Brezza as well.

I am a Toyota fan. So, I don't trust Tatas or Mahindras when it comes to reliability or quality(No offence to respective owners). I would have suggested Hyundai but recent Stories scares me to suggest Hyundai as well.

Last edited by Aditya : 1st February 2021 at 05:06. Reason: Objectionable statement deleted
gkveda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2021, 13:38   #229
Senior - BHPian

As a Bangalorean, get an AT. Your wife (and you) will love it. I'd suggest a Honda City. New or used depends on how much your budget can be extended, but it is just the best all-rounder to replace your Swift. And you'll love the crisp, high-revving Honda petrol engine on the highway.

The Ciaz is nice too, but not really suited for aggressive driving on the highway. If GC is a concern, get the Ecosport/Nexon/Brezza. But I feel the sub-4m SUVs can't match the value of a Honda City, especially for someone who keeps his cars long.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 30th January 2021 at 13:43.
landcruiser123 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th January 2021, 14:06   #230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why no mention of Renault Kiger?
Simply because no one knows what you like better than you. Since you mentioned it, you obviously like it. Now your question should be "Is there anything wrong with the Kiger" or "What are the shortcomings of the Kiger". People can answer that. Then see if those shortcomings are going to be a problem for you or not and whether you can live with them or not.

Last edited by pedrolourenco : 30th January 2021 at 14:07. Reason: Grammatical Errors
pedrolourenco is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th January 2021, 16:22   #231
BHPian

In addition to all the very good suggestions in here, I seriously recommend you to shortlist a few cars and actually take test drives in them. For e.g. coming from a Swift, I liked the Seltos. My wife however was not happy with the ride quality and preferred the Tucson.

So please drive the cars you are interested in and get your family to drive/sit in them too. Your short list may become shorter and you might find a car that you really like.
QuadraticAmoeba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2021, 16:28   #232
BHPian

It has to be AT and a refined one. You can consider Honda City (AT) if it fits your budget or you may do the TD for Brezza. Do consider the fact that it shall be primarily driven by the spouse and within the city limits and occasional highway drives.

I am against recommending Kia/MG, though you can consider giving Venue a chance (selling like hot cake with waiting periods closer to 60 days).
MDED is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2021, 16:58   #233
Senior - BHPian

Friend, you need to buy a Polo TSI.

Its an amazing car for 3 people and the only car below 12 lakhs which will convert you positively towards 4 wheelers!

Test drive it once and you will know what you are missing on the Swift!
2000rpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2021, 17:49   #234
BHPian

Stretch a bit and go for the Honda City would be my opinion. Very comfortable and will last a decade!
avdhesh15 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 13:49   #235
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Venue vs the competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdhesh15 View Post
Stretch a bit and go for the Honda City would be my opinion. Very comfortable and will last a decade!
A friend of mine has a 2009 Honda City, we have done multiple trips in his car, he always struggles with the ground clearance, not sure if the new City has improved ground clearance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Friend, you need to buy a Polo TSI.

Its an amazing car for 3 people and the only car below 12 lakhs which will convert you positively towards 4 wheelers!

Test drive it once and you will know what you are missing on the Swift!
I have seen it's capabilities in one INRC rally, close to everyone was driving the Polo. Yes this seems like a great idea! Never did occur to me. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadraticAmoeba View Post
In addition to all the very good suggestions in here, I seriously recommend you to shortlist a few cars and actually take test drives in them. For e.g. coming from a Swift, I liked the Seltos. My wife however was not happy with the ride quality and preferred the Tucson.

So please drive the cars you are interested in and get your family to drive/sit in them too. Your short list may become shorter and you might find a car that you really like.
That's a logical suggestion, will do so. I like the GT series Seltos and that one is beyond my budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
Simply because no one knows what you like better than you. Since you mentioned it, you obviously like it. Now your question should be "Is there anything wrong with the Kiger" or "What are the shortcomings of the Kiger". People can answer that. Then see if those shortcomings are going to be a problem for you or not and whether you can live with them or not.
Looks are subjective, but I sort of like the ground clearance and how the car is build. 100 bhp Turbo petrol seems like a decent enough jump from my Swift. Interiors are decent for the money. But yeah, there is a wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
As a Bangalorean, get an AT. Your wife (and you) will love it. I'd suggest a Honda City. New or used depends on how much your budget can be extended, but it is just the best all-rounder to replace your Swift. And you'll love the crisp, high-revving Honda petrol engine on the highway.

The Ciaz is nice too, but not really suited for aggressive driving on the highway. If GC is a concern, get the Ecosport/Nexon/Brezza. But I feel the sub-4m SUVs can't match the value of a Honda City, especially for someone who keeps his cars long.
I never driven an AT, I will test ride one and see or borrow a friends car. I have bad experiences with an older 2009 gen City hopefully the new one is decent enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
You are not a car guy. And therefore, it would be mostly lady driven. So, the car has to be more of "fill it forget it" type with minimal maintenance and reliability should be max.

With above implicit requirements, suggest to go with Japanese cars like toyota or Suzuki. Going with Tatas or Mahindras can be assumed to expect more maintenance and care as compared to Japanese counterparts.

Since you already have Maruti Swift, suggest to look for an upgrade from Maruti only. May be Baleno or Ciaz. If size is not a constraint, you can look at Brezza as well.

I am a Toyota fan. So, I don't trust Tatas or Mahindras when it comes to reliability or quality(No offence to respective owners). I would have suggested Hyundai but recent Stories scares me to suggest Hyundai as well.
I have had good experiences with the Swift, I thought Tatas and Mahindras have improved quite a bit. Will check out Toyota's stable too. Thanks.
Surajit333 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 14:33   #236
BHPian

Quote:
A friend of mine has a 2009 Honda City, we have done multiple trips in his car, he always struggles with the ground clearance, not sure if the new City has improved ground clearance.
I own the 2014 City - ground clearance is one of the best. Have very rarely faced any scraping issues despite extensive driving in Mumbai and village roads.
Old 1st February 2021, 15:18   #237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdhesh15 View Post
I own the 2014 City - ground clearance is one of the best. Have very rarely faced any scraping issues despite extensive driving in Mumbai and village roads.
The 14 city had revised the GC. The 2nd (Dolphin) and 3rd Gen (Arrow shape) were horrible. The one you are referring to is the 4th Gen. (The current gen is 5th)
Old 6th June 2022, 12:33   #238
BHPian

Should I go for the new Venue or look around?

Hi All,

Hope everyone is having a good day. I have been looking for a new automatic car around 15 lakhs for 95% city driving and 5% outstation. Some important things for me:
  1. Good build quality
  2. Good quality of life features like infotainment system, keyless start etc
  3. Good automatic transmission
  4. Safe enough for rare outstation drives
  5. Not a very long waiting period
  6. Good service experience
I also need the car to be available sooner than later since my office has started. I have considered the following cars:
1. Hyundai Venue 2022 Facelift Top end DCT: I have filled out the booking form for this (haven't made any payment yet) since it will be available in 1-1.5 month and I have always liked Venue. Salesperson has quoted apx price around 15 lakhs
2. Honda Amaze CVT: Good option for city driving but availability is 2 months out
3. Hyundai i20 DCT: Seems too expensive for an hatchback
4. Renault Climber AMT: Since this is my first car, I thought I went for this first but didn't like the build quality and low safety ratings

I haven't looked into Kia since my family doesn't have good experience with new brands (chances of them shutting down operations in India). I have also not looked into Nexon since I have heard it has bumpy rides for city roads ( I reside in Bangalore ).

My question here is, should I go ahead with my Venue 2022 booking or also look at some other alternatives? Thanks in advance!
Old 21st August 2023, 18:03   #239

Booked Hyundai Exter but totally confused now :(

Hi all, being an overthinker, I'm completely confused right now and need your help.

Background: Currently driving Grand i10 manual for 7 years. Also drove TATA Punch AMT for few months. Currently looking for an automatic due to heavy Hyderabad traffic.

Requirement:
  • Automatic only
  • Should be smooth & jerk free
  • I like Compact cars than longer ones
  • 90% City Driving. 300 km highway run every 2 months
  • Should be reliable in terms of service and maintenance
  • Fun to drive is preferred
  • Budget: 10-12 Lac On road

After watching 100+ videos, booked the Hyundai Exter SX (O) at on road price 11.2 Lacs

The Exter looked fine in the showroom but recently saw it on road next to a Venue and suddenly it felt like a very small car, specially from rear. Or am I wrong here?

And then the dilemma began. Should I keep Exter or stretch budget and upgrade to next segment?

Hyundai Venue: Loved the looks the most. After test driving turbo DCT, found lot of lag in slow speed. N Line was comparatively better. Regular Venue felt very slow to pick up. Not sure if any issue with that car or it's like that only. I can get S(O) Turbo DCT by extending budget by 2 Lacs. SX(O) feels too overpriced.

Kia Sonet HTX DCT: Found the rear seat to be smaller in length compared to Venue. And reading complaints about stiffer suspension. It's a 3 Lac stretch from Exter.

Brezza VXI: Have not test driven yet, but interior felt very basic and not worth 13.5 lacs. Missing many important features in VXI. 2 Lac stretch from Exter.

Fronx: Haven't looked at Fronx yet but lot of posts suggest Maruti cars quality not being good. So little skeptical. I might be completely wrong here.

TATA Cars: Loved the PUNCH but the engine noise and jerky AMT was not at all fun to drive. So not looking at other options.

Nissan Magnite: I like the car design, but will it be wise to go with Nissan right now?

So, the main questions is - Is EXTER the right choice for me? Am I just thinking too much?

Or should I stretch the budget by 2-3 Lacs and go for any of the above. If yes, which one? Is the upgrade actually worth it?

Really like the looks of the Venue but confused about noticed initial lag, is DCT reliable in city traffic, or does IMT makes sense? S(O) variant loses out on many features I am getting in Exter.

As you can see I have been watching video after video of each car and getting even more confused. Really need suggestion from the community in guiding in the right direction.

Thank you so much in advance.
CloudOne is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st August 2023, 22:45   #240
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Re: Booked Hyundai Exter but totally confused now :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudOne View Post

Requirement:
  • Automatic only
  • Should be smooth & jerk free
  • I like Compact cars than longer ones
  • 90% City Driving. 300 km highway run every 2 months
  • Should be reliable in terms of service and maintenance
  • Fun to drive is preferred
  • Budget: 10-12 Lac On road

After watching 100+ videos, booked the Hyundai Exter SX (O) at on road price 11.2 Lacs

The Exter looked fine in the showroom but recently saw it on road next to a Venue and suddenly it felt like a very small car, specially from rear. Or am I wrong here?

And then the dilemma began. Should I keep Exter or stretch budget and upgrade to next segment?

Hyundai Venue: Loved the looks the most. After test driving turbo DCT, found lot of lag in slow speed. N Line was comparatively better. Regular Venue felt very slow to pick up. Not sure if any issue with that car or it's like that only. I can get S(O) Turbo DCT by extending budget by 2 Lacs. SX(O) feels too overpriced.

Kia Sonet HTX DCT: Found the rear seat to be smaller in length compared to Venue. And reading complaints about stiffer suspension. It's a 3 Lac stretch from Exter.

Brezza VXI: Have not test driven yet, but interior felt very basic and not worth 13.5 lacs. Missing many important features in VXI. 2 Lac stretch from Exter.

Fronx: Haven't looked at Fronx yet but lot of posts suggest Maruti cars quality not being good. So little skeptical. I might be completely wrong here.

Nissan Magnite: I like the car design, but will it be wise to go with Nissan right now?

So, the main questions is - Is EXTER the right choice for me? Am I just thinking too much?

Or should I stretch the budget by 2-3 Lacs and go for any of the above. If yes, which one? Is the upgrade actually worth it?

Really like the looks of the Venue but confused about noticed initial lag, is DCT reliable in city traffic, or does IMT makes sense? S(O) variant loses out on many features I am getting in Exter.

As you can see I have been watching video after video of each car and getting even more confused. Really need suggestion from the community in guiding in the right direction.

Thank you so much in advance.
1. The Exter does look small when you compare it to the cars in the segment above. No doubt about that.

2. While DCT in general aren't as reliable as let's say, a torque converter, but I haven't seen too many complaints about the Hyundai/Kia DCT. Yes, there are a couple of cases right here on the forum but nothing like the DQ200. With that being said, it's been only 4 years since the DCT was launched by the group and only after another 3-4 years, shall we know more about the reliability of their DCTs. At a personal level, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I'd personally avoid the iMT since it feels neither here not there to me.

3. The upgrade to the next segment does make sense if you want to drive a more powerful car. In the segment of the Exter, the 1.2 NA is the norm. Of course, there is the size factor as well. So it's size and engine power vs features. You decide. I'd say that it is worth it, especially since you state that you'd want the transmission to be smooth and jerk free. Also, there are some additional features in the Venue S(O) over the Exter so it's not all bad in terms of features.

4. I would be a bit hesitant to go for the Nissan but you may consider the Kiger.

5. I am gonna divide the cars which you have shortlisted into 2 categories-

i. The ones which are stretching your budget by ~3L-

Sonet is a very good car IMO. But if you think that the space and suspension is a deal breaker, do look at the Fronx Zeta. Yes, the Fronx turbo. It comes with a turbo petrol and a torque converter and you can't really doubt the reliability of Suzuki. You say that the quality of Maruti cars isn't good and yes, the quality of the interiors and the built isn't the best, but in terms of safety, there is hardly anything separating the mass market Hyundais and Marutis. In fact, Maruti has fared a wee bit better. With the Fronx, you wouldn't compromise on any major feature except the sunroof but you'd gain quite a lot as well.

ii. The ones which are stretching your budget by ~2L-

While the Brezza is a good car, it is indeed basic and the engine isn't anything to write about. It does seem that you like the Venue and as I have stated before, I'd anyday pick the Venue over the Exter, for the reasons I have stated above. You can also get the fully loaded Kiger CVT at the same price as the Venue S(O) and it will satisfy both the enthusiast(turbo+proper AT) and the feature itch that we all have. It is a safe car too.

6. To summarise, the Fronx and the Kiger do seem like the all rounders here as long as you are willing to compromise on the build quality and lesser ASS reach respectively. The Sonet is my personal pick of the bunch whereas the Brezza is a good car which may not appeal to the heart in the lower variants. The Venue offers you a better engine and a smoother transmission over the Exter at the cost of features though it isn't missing any major feature(except for power folding mirrors). I'd prefer the Venue over the Exter.

7. To finally sum it up, unless you are uncomfortably extending your budget for one of these cars, it is worth spending the extra money for a smooth and powerful powertrain.

Sonet HTX> Venue S(O)> Fronx Zeta Turbo> Kiger RXZ> Brezza VXI.
AYP is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks