Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s


View Poll Results: Which compact SUV would you pick?
Hyundai Venue 95 18.13%
Maruti Vitara Brezza 28 5.34%
Mahindra XUV300 61 11.64%
Tata Nexon 127 24.24%
Ford EcoSport 196 37.40%
Honda WR-V 8 1.53%
Other (please specify in your post) 9 1.72%
Voters: 524. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2020, 12:58   #91
Senior - BHPian
 
IshaanIan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hyd/B'lore
Posts: 2,954
Thanked: 4,552 Times
Default Re: My 1st Automatic Car - Budget 11 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvky94 View Post
Hmmm... When I was learning to drive in City traffic, I was the number 1 culprit in increasing traffic since I was stalling the car quite frequently.
If you are a new driver then please avoid spending such big bucks on a car just for apple car play and an automatic gearbox. Buy a second-hand top end manual A-star, fit a fancy touchscreen head unit to connect with your phone and simply hone your skills before buying an automatic with a larger footprint on the road. You will appreciate the art of driving and then when the time is right you will be able to choose the right car yourself. Because you will know exactly what you want.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 17th March 2020 at 13:05.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2020, 13:07   #92
Distinguished - BHPian
 
graaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 2,086
Thanked: 9,359 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvky94 View Post
I am completely avoiding DCT now. For AMT, I did read the threads and I found people saying it's jerky but I didn't feel Jerkiness at all in i10 NIOS. I also read that Hyundai AMTs are highly refined so maybe that is the reason. Exploring other options now.
Check out the Tiago AMT as well.

A few years back, when I had tried the Celerio AMT, the gearbox felt awful, and I had developed a great aversion to anything AMT.

Recently, I test drove Tiago AMT for a friend (also a first timer) and found it to be well tuned. I did not drive the i10 NIOS for a comparison (TD car was not available on that particular day). The advantage of Tiago is that it is has a 4-start NCAP rating and can be very safe on the highways. The interiors felt good and the Harmon Kordan music system with CarPlay and Android Auto was quite good. It also had reverse camera.

Also, the smaller footprint of the Tiago compared to Nexon will make it easier to drive in city.

I would highly recommend you to go with an automatic. You will not regret this decision, given the increasing traffic these days.

You could also wait for the new Polo GT TSi (if you have already considered and dropped it from the list for some reason, then ignore this). The new generation with the 1.0TSi engine and TC should be quite reliable compared to the DSG.

PS: If this is your first car purchase, I will suggest you keep away from used cars. You need to have lot of experience in vetting out a used car. There is a high possibility of getting stuck with a problematic car which can totally spoil your car ownership experience.

Last edited by vb-san : 17th March 2020 at 13:23. Reason: Back to back posts merged :)
graaja is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th March 2020, 13:11   #93
Team-BHP Support
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 5,998
Thanked: 7,843 Times
Default Re: My 1st Automatic Car - Budget 11 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
For example, if there is a bad patch of road right after a traffic signal, you set off in an automatic from the lights, decrease throttle input, the gearbox shifts into a higher gear assuming you want to cruise. You then pass the obstruction and you want drive but at the same time you don't want to be kicked back into your seat so you don't mash the pedal to the floor. The automatic then takes a while to skip down to the correct gear. Now assume there to be an automatic behind this car.
Sounds a bit too theoretical. Never had the said issue of wrong gear, slowing down etc. in India as well, whether it is a TC or DSG/DCT (not sure how it is with those AMTs though). And have seen so many instances of stalled cars due to take off in a wrong gear, and related traffic delays.

Last edited by vb-san : 17th March 2020 at 13:21.
vb-san is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 17th March 2020, 13:38   #94
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 24
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
If you are a new driver then please avoid spending such big bucks on a car just for apple car play and an automatic gearbox. Buy a second-hand top end manual A-star, fit a fancy touchscreen head unit to connect with your phone and simply hone your skills before buying an automatic with a larger footprint on the road. You will appreciate the art of driving and then when the time is right you will be able to choose the right car yourself. Because you will know exactly what you want.
I was checking out used cars only initially. Most of the cars I tried (through company contacts) were terrible... either improver servicing, dents/scratches, missing safety features etc. I was also advised by my friends to take an experienced mechanic to check the engine etc but did not find any. I finally gave up since I thought it was not worth all that hassle and wasted time and decided to switch to new car. What I did do was rent a lot of cars from Drivezy and stuff and drive for 1 hr stretches in traffic to get better handle on cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Check out the Tiago AMT as well.

A few years back, when I had tried the Celerio AMT, the gearbox felt awful, and I had developed a great aversion to anything AMT.

Recently, I test drove Tiago AMT for a friend (also a first timer) and found it to be well tuned. I did not drive the i10 NIOS for a comparison (TD car was not available on that particular day). The advantage of Tiago is that it is has a 4-start NCAP rating and can be very safe on the highways. The interiors felt good and the Harmon Kordan music system with CarPlay and Android Auto was quite good. It also had reverse camera.

Also, the smaller footprint of the Tiago compared to Nexon will make it easier to drive in city.

I would highly recommend you to go with an automatic. You will not regret this decision, given the increasing traffic these days.

You could also wait for the new Polo GT TSi (if you have already considered and dropped it from the list for some reason, then ignore this). The new generation with the 1.0TSi engine and TC should be quite reliable compared to the DSG.

PS: If this is your first car purchase, I will suggest you keep away from used cars. You need to have lot of experience in vetting out a used car. There is a high possibility of getting stuck with a problematic car which can totally spoil your car ownership experience.
Will have a look at Tiago too although will probably go with i10 compared to that because overall build quality is better. I agree with the used car point 100%.

Hey All,

Thanks for the amazing responses. So now, I have made some changes in my vehicle shortlist:
  • Baleno Petrol CVT Alpha - Removed
  • Hyundai Venue SX+ DCT Petrol 1.0 TURBO - Removed
  • Honda Amaze CVT Petrol
  • Hyundai Grand i10 NIOS AMT Asta Petrol
  • Honda City 1.5 Petrol Manual - Removed
  • MS Brezza AT
  • Tata Nexon AT (Maybe)
  • Ciaz AT

I am also looking at BS6 CVT Duster as that fits my use case nicely. What do you guys think?

Last edited by Zappo : 17th March 2020 at 14:01. Reason: Please avoid making back to back posts. Use multiquote. In the first 30 minutes you can edit your own post to add further. Both back to back posts merged.
dhruvky94 is offline  
Old 17th March 2020, 14:27   #95
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Vizag
Posts: 2,445
Thanked: 2,859 Times
Default Re: My 1st Automatic Car - Budget 11 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Automatics are a huge factor apart from cabs, that contribute to growing traffic IMO. An automatic will often be in the wrong gear for example, when moving off a traffic signal, slowing down because of a rough patch of road, and then moving ahead again. With an automatic, there will be a lag in the right amount of drive out of this situation. This will lead to additional traffic due to compounding reaction times of the cars behind the automatic. I would say go for a manual with a light and easy to feel clutch (most petrol cars). If not please go for an automatic with a torque converter as that will be less glitchy in such situations than a twin clutch automatic.
You seem to have almost written off automatics, Sir. None of the automatics I drove (and I drove a varied mix of them, budget to high-end) exhibited the trait you described. On the other hand, it's the manuals driven by some senior citizens/ new learners that give me plenty of grief. They come off the clutch too fast and stall. That's not the end of it. You should see the restart procedure. Instead of stepping on the clutch and firing the engine, they shift to neutral, start the engine , fumble with the stick and engage gear ( sometime they go to 3rd and stall again ) and then inch forward. Trust me it takes them longer to do this than the time it takes me to type this. And, if there is even a small gradient and car rolls forward or backward, more confusion and more delay.

Whether we like it or not, automatics are here to stay. In fact, it is extremely rare these days to be able to buy a manual car above Rs.50 lakhs. In my family and circle, I suggest everyone to buy an automatic. Many have and they are happy they listened to me.
pgsagar is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th March 2020, 16:32   #96
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 204
Thanked: 471 Times
Default Re: My 1st Automatic Car - Budget 11 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvky94 View Post
Will have a look at Tiago too although will probably go with i10 compared to that because overall build quality is better. I agree with the used car point 100%.

I am also looking at BS6 CVT Duster as that fits my use case nicely. What do you guys think?
How are you saying that the i10 build quality is better? The Tiago has achieved a 4 star GNCAP rating. For a small car, it's a pretty good rating and highlights the build quality of the Tata. Of course, I haven't seen an i10 nios personally so I can't comment on that and I understand that it hasn't been tested yet either.

To your point of the duster, do take a test drive and think about it, no harm. Don't know how it will fare with the petrol engine given that many here rave about the Diesel engine and the ride quality. Why not wait for the Triber auto too?
nikhilthegunner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th March 2020, 17:19   #97
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 24
Thanked: 7 Times
Default Re: My 1st Automatic Car - Budget 11 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilthegunner View Post
How are you saying that the i10 build quality is better? The Tiago has achieved a 4 star GNCAP rating. For a small car, it's a pretty good rating and highlights the build quality of the Tata. Of course, I haven't seen an i10 nios personally so I can't comment on that and I understand that it hasn't been tested yet either.
Well I am saying this purely on the basis of reading reviews, praising i10 NIOS overall build quality (not just safety standards) to be better than the segment. This includes interior dashboard quality, seats etc. Haven't read about Tiago build quality yet so I shouldn't be saying it so confidently. Will try Tiago first and then update the same here.

Quote:
To your point of the duster, do take a test drive and think about it, no harm. Don't know how it will fare with the petrol engine given that many here rave about the Diesel engine and the ride quality. Why not wait for the Triber auto too?
Will try Duster Petrol and Ford Ecosport AT too. Any idea when Triber Auto is coming?
dhruvky94 is offline  
Old 17th March 2020, 19:17   #98
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 82
Thanked: 178 Times
Default Re: My 1st Automatic Car - Budget 11 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvky94 View Post
I am also looking at BS6 CVT Duster as that fits my use case nicely. What do you guys think?
Hi Druv,
As per my understanding, no CVT option is available for the Duster BS6 petrol as of now. Only 3 variants of 1.5 manual petrol are available currently.

They might bring back the CVT at a later stage.
(Correct me if I am wrong)

(Bellow pic is extracted from Renault official website)
Hyundai Venue vs the competition-screenshot_20200317190222027_com.android.chrome.png

Last edited by DLC5005 : 17th March 2020 at 19:19. Reason: Added
DLC5005 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2020, 19:29   #99
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Hyd - Blr
Posts: 33
Thanked: 24 Times
Default Re: My 1st Automatic Car - Budget 11 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvky94 View Post
I was checking out used cars only initially.

I finally gave up since I thought it was not worth all that hassle and wasted time and decided to switch to new car.

I am also looking at BS6 CVT Duster as that fits my use case nicely. What do you guys think?
Didn't catch that you are a new driver. I would recommend a used car to a new driver too. You could try Cars24's new used cars division. They provide a detailed inspection report that identifies issues very well, and a summary of it can be viewed when you're doing an online search. If you are keen on a new car, read on.

In my experience, a lot of new drivers like the commanding driving positions of SUVs and crossovers, as it helps them judge the car's dimensions better. However, larger cars like the Ciaz could be more painful to drive. Test drive them and figure out what works best for you.

The new Polo TC could be on your list as well, though its reliability will be an unknown. The Amaze CVT is pretty good and reliable too.

The Duster CVT is only available in BS4 right now. The BS6 engine announced for the Duster has no AT option right now. The Triber is great for people who need to occasionally seat 7 but have no cash to spend. But it's engine is disappointing and not something I would recommend.

The EcoSport, on the other hand, is an absolute joy to drive and really safe too. Didn't recommend it initially as it was way above your budget (since they have surprisingly discontinued the Trend+ AT variant, which was absolute value for money). Do test drive it if your budget allows you to stretch for it.

Test drive the EcoSport, Nexon, Brezza, Aura, and Amaze, and you should have a clear winner (or at least a shorter shortlist).

Last edited by kranti : 17th March 2020 at 19:30. Reason: Clean up.
kranti is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2020, 20:05   #100
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 24
Thanked: 7 Times
Default Re: My 1st Automatic Car - Budget 11 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLC5005 View Post
Hi Druv,
As per my understanding, no CVT option is available for the Duster BS6 petrol as of now. Only 3 variants of 1.5 manual petrol are available currently.

They might bring back the CVT at a later stage.
(Correct me if I am wrong)

(Bellow pic is extracted from Renault official website)
Attachment 1980879
Yup looks I like I got confused between the BS4 and BS6. Well given the current situation (covid-19), I will anyways have to wait. Hopefully they release a CVT version by then and don't switch to a DCT :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by kranti View Post
Didn't catch that you are a new driver. I would recommend a used car to a new driver too. You could try Cars24's new used cars division. They provide a detailed inspection report that identifies issues very well, and a summary of it can be viewed when you're doing an online search. If you are keen on a new car, read on.
Tbh I found the quotes on Cars24 to be too much for a used car. Given that I need this car to be in family for a long time, I don't want to spend 5-6 lakhs on a decent old car. That's why I switched to new car and simultaneously am practicing driving by hiring cars.

Quote:
In my experience, a lot of new drivers like the commanding driving positions of SUVs and crossovers, as it helps them judge the car's dimensions better. However, larger cars like the Ciaz could be more painful to drive. Test drive them and figure out what works best for you.
I am looking at an SUV mainly because they can handle tough roads quite well and given the status of Bangalore roads under this constructions, I think my back will thank me for it. I tried City Manual and found it fairly easy to control (given that I was driving a sedan for the first time in my life!). Will try Ciaz too (Although I am again worried about the thin metal plate like Baleno).

Quote:
The new Polo TC could be on your list as well, though its reliability will be an unknown. The Amaze CVT is pretty good and reliable too.

The Duster CVT is only available in BS4 right now. The BS6 engine announced for the Duster has no AT option right now. The Triber is great for people who need to occasionally seat 7 but have no cash to spend. But it's engine is disappointing and not something I would recommend.
I am avoiding VW because my friends have quoted very expensive maintenance! Amaze is one of my top options now, it's just that I don't like the boxy look and not sure how it will handle my route's bad roads. I don't think I will ever need Triber's 7 seats but will wait for Duster BS6 AT.

Quote:
The EcoSport, on the other hand, is an absolute joy to drive and really safe too. Didn't recommend it initially as it was way above your budget (since they have surprisingly discontinued the Trend+ AT variant, which was absolute value for money). Do test drive it if your budget allows you to stretch for it.

Test drive the EcoSport, Nexon, Brezza, Aura, and Amaze, and you should have a clear winner (or at least a shorter shortlist).
I am loving the ecosport (from reading) right now, but you are right it's quite out of my budget. I will see if I can stretch it (hoping for a steep discount).
dhruvky94 is offline  
Old 18th March 2020, 15:55   #101
Newbie
 
cake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 17
Thanked: 43 Times
Default Re: My 1st Automatic Car - Budget 11 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvky94 View Post
I am loving the ecosport (from reading) right now, but you are right it's quite out of my budget. I will see if I can stretch it (hoping for a steep discount).
Seeing as there is a drop of sales right now because of the effect of Covid, there maybe some discounts on a month or so. I'm also planning to get the Grand i10 (not the Nios) and hoping for some discounts.
cake is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 16:11   #102
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Vizag
Posts: 2,445
Thanked: 2,859 Times
Default Re: My 1st Automatic Car - Budget 11 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvky94 View Post

Hey All,

Thanks for the amazing responses. So now, I have made some changes in my vehicle shortlist:
  • Baleno Petrol CVT Alpha - Removed
  • Hyundai Venue SX+ DCT Petrol 1.0 TURBO - Removed
  • Honda Amaze CVT Petrol
  • Hyundai Grand i10 NIOS AMT Asta Petrol
  • Honda City 1.5 Petrol Manual - Removed
  • MS Brezza AT
  • Tata Nexon AT (Maybe)
  • Ciaz AT

I am also looking at BS6 CVT Duster as that fits my use case nicely. What do you guys think?
Baleno Alpha CVT is a nice city car. Fits perfectly in your budget, too, with some cash to spare. Never drove a petrol Amaze CVT but drove a friend's diesel Amaze CVT and found it very good. Extra torque of diesel helps and car picked up speed fast. Didn't drive on highway, though. Yet to drive Brezza petrol AT. My bro has a petrol Duster CVT and is very happy with it. Suspension of Duster is unmatched. If I were you, I would look at these three as all three come with N.A. engines and smooth CVT.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 16:17   #103
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 24
Thanked: 7 Times
Default Re: My 1st Automatic Car - Budget 11 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cake View Post
Seeing as there is a drop of sales right now because of the effect of Covid, there maybe some discounts on a month or so. I'm also planning to get the Grand i10 (not the Nios) and hoping for some discounts.
Yeah my Hyundai POC has already called me 3 times since yesterday saying that he is running out of stock soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Baleno Alpha CVT is a nice city car. Fits perfectly in your budget, too, with some cash to spare.
I would have loved to go with a Baleno CVT and it fits all of my requirements but I am afraid of the thin metal sheet. I don't want my new car to look all dented.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 18th March 2020 at 16:46. Reason: Trimmed the post within quotes for better readability. Thanks.
dhruvky94 is offline  
Old 21st March 2020, 09:55   #104
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 99
Thanked: 157 Times
Default Re: My 1st Automatic Car - Budget 11 lakhs

You can easily opt for the Brezza 4AT auto. Since you drive predominantly in the city, the Vxi auto is just shy of 11L OTR Bangalore and is smooth to drive. AMTs have definitely improved but not the best as they can be jerky depending on your driving style.

Another beautiful option is the Nexon AMT XMA, also around 11L and the 1.2L revotron is a beast. Now gets bumped up power figures of 118bhp and has good driveability. Interior space and packaging is great in this one.

Venue S DCT is also another option. Retails around 12.5L OTR.

My suggestion is to go for an AT since you are in Bangalore. I've moved to ATs now and man, it is a hell of a difference in this congestion!
advenk999 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2020, 10:51   #105
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Bombay
Posts: 98
Thanked: 366 Times
Default Re: My 1st Automatic Car - Budget 11 lakhs

While the build, interior quality and untested safety on the Baleno would definitely drive me away, what really grinds my gears is how the steering doesn't return after a U-turn or a sharp turn. This is a problem that I've witnessed on both the Baleno and the Ignis and its something I would never be able to live with. Its absolutely absurd and I've never witnessed it any other vehicle before (I've driven upwards of 30 cars now)! If you do plan on taking a test drive again, do pay attention to this and decide for yourself. It makes a big difference when driving in the city. Further, Honda CVTs are miles ahead of that lazy CVT in the Baleno!

My pick here would be the Ecosport 6AT. I understand that the lack of CarPlay/AndroidAuto (Flyaudio being a real fly in the ointment )deters you from taking the plunge. If you're open to the preowned market, you could look at low run 6AT Titanium+ models with the old 17" wheels. These would have Sync3. Here's a couple of examples : 1. https://www.olx.in/item/ford-ecospor...iid-1566078754 2. https://www.olx.in/item/ford-ecospor...iid-1552778897

DCTs have improved vastly since the early Skoda/VW days. So the Venue would be the next in line. Just make sure you push the brake pedal all the way in when you're waiting in traffic (or shift to N at a signal) so that the transmission doesn't half clutch. The first two gears can be a little jerky at first but you'll figure out how to modulate throttle output over time and it'll just become muscle memory. I'm talking out of personal experience as I regularly drive our Kodiaq in Bombay traffic.

The Nexon is a lot of car for the money and if you're okay with the AMT, it's quite difficult to ignore. If you're willing to wait, I'd say look out for the new i20 which promises to be quite the package.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Automatics are a huge factor apart from cabs, that contribute to growing traffic IMO. An automatic will often be in the wrong gear for example, when moving off a traffic signal, slowing down because of a rough patch of road, and then moving ahead again.
With all due respect, I definitely find this to be an exaggeration. Automatic gearboxes are quite smart now and it's more likely that a novice or lazy driver will not bother with downshifting in a manual when traffic slows down or when he/she encounters a pothole. Barely anyone cares about driving like us and they're better off mashing the pedal in an automatic.

I'd say one of the biggest contributors is actually people distracted by their phones in traffic, not paying attention to traffic signals and with one hand occupied, you can't even shift down on time. It's almost impossible not to encounter at least one person busy on their phone every time I head out in the car. I've reached a level where I look at what the driver in front of me is doing through their IRVM (At their eyes or the backlight of the phone on their face) and lightly honk (sadly!) beforehand so that they get a move on.

Last edited by saur95 : 21st March 2020 at 11:06.
saur95 is offline   (2) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks