Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

View Poll Results: Which compact SUV would you pick?
Hyundai Venue 98 18.08%
Maruti Vitara Brezza 29 5.35%
Mahindra XUV300 62 11.44%
Tata Nexon 137 25.28%
Ford EcoSport 199 36.72%
Honda WR-V 8 1.48%
Other (please specify in your post) 9 1.66%
Voters: 542. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2023, 00:26   #241

Re: Booked Hyundai Exter but totally confused now :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
Sonet HTX> Venue S(O)> Fronx Zeta Turbo> Kiger RXZ> Brezza VXI.
Thank you so much. Really appreciate your inputs.

Sonet HTX - I'll take a test drive tomorrow only. Is the suspension and rear seat really very uncomfortable? In comparison to Venue? I am not able to judge it properly in the showroom. Will the rear seat comfort be a problem in long drive?

Venue S(O) - What about the initial lack of power I felt during TD? Is it really there or might be an issue with that particular vehicle? Haven't driven a turbo engine yet, so not sure. Hope it won't be a problem in bumper to bumper traffic where my majority daily run is.

Fronx + Kiger - I will surely have a look, take a test drive and update here.
CloudOne is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2023, 01:47   #242
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudOne View Post
Thank you so much. Really appreciate your inputs.

Sonet HTX - I'll take a test drive tomorrow only. Is the suspension and rear seat really very uncomfortable? In comparison to Venue? I am not able to judge it properly in the showroom. Will the rear seat comfort be a problem in long drive?
As per the official review, the suspension setup of the Sonet is quite balanced. A test drive should help. As far as space is concerned, both the cars have very similar space at the back though the Venue's rear seat has a more relaxed angle. I'd suggest setting the front seat as per your driving position and checking the room available. If all fails, you can carry a measuring tape and measure the seat length,width, legroom etc. It is possible that the Venue's black and beige combo may also be contributing to the feeling of more space at the back.

In the space department, the Fronx has a clear advantage.
Quote:
Venue S(O) - What about the initial lack of power I felt during TD? Is it really there or might be an issue with that particular vehicle? Haven't driven a turbo engine yet, so not sure. Hope it won't be a problem in bumper to bumper traffic where my majority daily run is.
It could be turbo lag. Though from what I know, none of these cars suffer a severe turbo lag. Since you are gonna be taking test drives of multiple turbo cars- Fronx, Sonet, Venue and Kiger, things should become clear by the end of the test drives. Do take the car out on clear roads and the benefit of the turbo shall become more apparent. As far as bumper to bumper traffic is concerned, there are lakhs of turbo equipped cars on road being driven in similar conditions and they are all fine. The automatic gearbox also does a better job of masking the turbo lag. Now if you were comparing these turbo petrols to a 1.5 NA, then there could be a case for the NA engines but in comparison to a 1.2 NA, all these engines are gonna be far superior.

Last edited by AYP : 22nd August 2023 at 01:48.
Old 22nd August 2023, 03:56   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Sonet HTX - I'll take a test drive tomorrow only. Is the suspension and rear seat really very uncomfortable? In comparison to Venue?
I would say that besides rear seats even front seats are very bad in Sonet. The lower back goes inside the seat & I usually feel the pain in the back if the drive is of more than 1 hour.
And regarding suspension, I sometimes wonder does it even have one?

Would like to add the iMT is really good. It keeps you engaged, gives you more control(downshift to overtake) & helps in traffic.
But on the downside, as you have observed , the 1.0 litre engine, behaves like an ordinary 1.0 litre engine below 2000 rpm, the rpm range where the car mostly remains in city/traffic.

Magnite is a very good looking car from outside but I did not like its interiors(it was all too black). And if your running is high you should also check its fuel efficiency.

Fronx turbo could have been a very good recommendation but its turbo engine's numbers are worst among all the turbos available in India. Therefore, personally, I won't like to spend good amount of money on it.
ishekk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2023, 07:18   #244
BHPian

You can try the XUV 300 and it might be in your budget. Magnite and Kiger are worth a look.
saisree is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2023, 07:20   #245
BHPian

I traded a Manual i20 Asta(O) for a 1.0 DCT i20. The 1.0 DCT is a super upgrade to the 1.2L. Would suggest considering Sonet/Venue DCT or i20 DCT (for more spacious cabin). Invest in an extended powertrain warranty for peace of mind and XP95. While bumper to bumper performance is just about okay, consider it for the overall package.
promit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2023, 10:10   #246

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishekk View Post
I would say that besides rear seats even front seats are very bad in Sonet. The lower back goes inside the seat & I usually feel the pain in the back if the drive is of more than 1 hour.
And regarding suspension, I sometimes wonder does it even have one?

Would like to add the iMT is really good. It keeps you engaged, gives you more control(downshift to overtake) & helps in traffic.
But on the downside, as you have observed , the 1.0 litre engine, behaves like an ordinary 1.0 litre engine below 2000 rpm, the rpm range where the car mostly remains in city/traffic.

Magnite is a very good looking car from outside but I did not like its interiors(it was all too black). And if your running is high you should also check its fuel efficiency.

Fronx turbo could have been a very good recommendation but its turbo engine's numbers are worst among all the turbos available in India. Therefore, personally, I won't like to spend good amount of money on it.
Thanks for the reply.

Rear seat comfort is the most important thing for me as I take my parents out on the highway some times. If Sonet has this issue, it won't be a right fit for me.

And since most of run is within city only, does going for 1.0 turbo will feel like an upgrade or staying with Exter with 1.2 NA will be better?

Will check out Magnite once.
Old 22nd August 2023, 11:45   #247

Quote:
Originally Posted by promit View Post
I traded a Manual i20 Asta(O) for a 1.0 DCT i20. The 1.0 DCT is a super upgrade to the 1.2L. Would suggest considering Sonet/Venue DCT or i20 DCT (for more spacious cabin). Invest in an extended powertrain warranty for peace of mind and XP95. While bumper to bumper performance is just about okay, consider it for the overall package.
Does 1.0 turbo feel slower in city traffic? The test drive I took, made me more confused. First I tried N Line, it was completely fine even at lower speed.

At a different showroom I tried regular Venue DCT and in Normal mode, I found it struggling to pick up pace after a U Turn or after passing a speed breaker. After 1-2 seconds the power came back.

On the other hand, Exter felt peppier even at slower speeds.

How's your experience in this regard?
Old 22nd August 2023, 11:57   #248
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the reply.

Rear seat comfort is the most important thing for me as I take my parents out on the highway some times.
I can vouch for the superior comfort in the rear seats for the Renault Kiger 2023, better than Sonnet and Venue in my opinion, haven't tested the Fronx though. The Nissan Magnite should be able to offer the same since they are basically built on the same platform. Also, the CVT is smooth as butter in bumper to bumper traffic.
Old 22nd August 2023, 12:10   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Does 1.0 turbo feel slower in city traffic? The test drive I took, made me more confused. First I tried N Line, it was completely fine even at lower speed.

At a different showroom I tried regular Venue DCT and in Normal mode, I found it struggling to pick up pace after a U Turn or after passing a speed breaker. After 1-2 seconds the power came back.

On the other hand, Exter felt peppier even at slower speeds.

How's your experience in this regard?
It exists. You learn to work around it quickly. It's an inherent double clutch transmission flaw in bumper to bumper (0-10km) coupled with the low end turbo lag of this engine. Over 20 kmph it is flawless. CVT and torque converter boxes are more comfortable in heavy traffic for sure.

Last edited by promit : 22nd August 2023 at 12:11.
Old 7th September 2023, 18:58   #250
BHPian

Quote:
Hi all, being an overthinker, I'm completely confused right now and need your help.
My budget pick for you would be Renault Kiger, the turbo engine variant paired with CVT. It has the balance of features, safety, power, ride and space at price point that makes sense.

Also take a look at this thread which compares all cars in the sub-compact category.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-...-others-2.html (Hyundai Exter vs Tata Punch vs Maruti Fronx vs Renault Kiger vs others)

Last edited by inwester : 7th September 2023 at 18:59.
inwester is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2023, 19:00   #251

Quote:
10-12 Lac On road
If you're not particular about getting an "SUV", the Honda Amaze ticks all your preferences. Please take a test drive of the Exter and Amaze, and you'll know what I'm talking about. Compared to the Exter, based on these requirements, the Amaze is just better in almost every way.

Last edited by Turbanator : 7th September 2023 at 19:46. Reason: Quoted part trimmed. Spell. Please proofread before posting.
ThunderMurukku is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2023, 22:55   #252
BHPian

Quote:
Requirement:
  • Automatic only
  • Should be smooth & jerk free
  • I like Compact cars than longer ones
  • 90% City Driving. 300 km highway run every 2 months
  • Should be reliable in terms of service and maintenance
  • Fun to drive is preferred
  • Budget: 10-12 Lac On road
Hi CloudOne,

After going through your requirements I feel that Fronx 1.0 Turbo A/T fits your bill perfectly. The 6 speed TC A/T is more reliable and smooth compared to a DCT from Sonet/Venue or AMT. The car is more fun to drive compared to Brezza/Venue/Sonet. The Zeta model is more expensive at 14.3 L on-road but you get a more powerful car with a superior gearbox, supported by Maruti's ASS and is also compact in size.
Old 7th September 2023, 22:55   #253

Re: Hyundai Venue vs the competition

Do you want to check the new Tata Nexon facelift 2023? It has the new DCA transmission with a bunch of new features.
Old 8th September 2023, 09:54   #254
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Venue vs the competition

If your driving is mostly city, I would recommend the Tigor EV/ Nexon EV

Most Viewed