Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which compact SUV would you pick?
Hyundai Venue 98 18.08%
Maruti Vitara Brezza 29 5.35%
Mahindra XUV300 62 11.44%
Tata Nexon 137 25.28%
Ford EcoSport 199 36.72%
Honda WR-V 8 1.48%
Other (please specify in your post) 9 1.66%
Voters: 542. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2019, 05:57   #31
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Venue vs the competition

My vote went for Venue as my parents have booked one last week.

They were looking at Petrol automatics and we test drove several options (Venue, Creta, Duster, Seltos, Ecosport). I tried talking them into a Creta, Seltos (for a little more money) or even a Duster but they were dead set on getting a sub 4 SUV.

Final contenders were Ecosport and Venue. Both of them preferred Venue over Ecosport after spending sometime with those vehicles. In addition, Ford Mahindra JV made their decision easier.
Old 17th October 2019, 13:25   #32
BHPian

I would rather buy any of the upcoming sedans Verna of City rather than taking a dip into the segment which is brandishing hatchbacks-on-stilts or chopped-down international cars as SUVs. The EcoSport, Brezza and WRV lack power. Mahindra has no shame calling XUV3OO an ‘SUV’ while it has such puny a boot space and no GC at all. And Nexon is... well, a Tata is a Tata at the end of the day. But since the question asks one name, I must answer it. And would definitely pick the EcoSport S 1.5 TDCi. Best looks. Now doesn’t have those gorgeous 17 inchers but it’s a boon.
Dr.Mechanic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2019, 14:18   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Mechanic View Post
Mahindra has no shame calling XUV3OO an ‘SUV’ while it has such puny a boot space and no GC at all. And Nexon is... well, a Tata is a Tata at the end of the day. But since the question asks one name, I must answer it. And would definitely pick the EcoSport S 1.5 TDCi. Best looks. Now doesn’t have those gorgeous 17 inchers but it’s a boon.

20mm less ground clearance than Ecosport (180mm vs 200mm) disqualifies XUV 300 to be an SUV. The amazingly logical argument 'Tata is a tata' disqualifies Nexon, and Ecosport is bumped up as SUV? Such a well articulated unbiased opinion .

Sub 4m SUVs, with the exception of Brezza which sits on the Vitara platform, are nothing but cars on stilts. In that, the new player Venue is a well packaged car. WRV too is great inside, but lack of automatics is surprising.
ani_meher is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th October 2019, 15:45   #34
BHPian

Voted for Nexon.

If I were in market and to pick one among the listed, I would seriously wait for April as the coming 5/ 6 months should not create a great inconvenience, but waiting would give a BS VI certified engine.

Still if there is a dire-need to pick one, in diesel it would be Nexon and petrol would mostly be Ford or Nexon. I am not too keen on Nexon's petrol engine. However, since I can only pick one option, I voted for Nexon as it featured in Petrol as well as a second choice.
Old 8th December 2019, 18:45   #35

Just voted Nexon with my wallet as well
Old 8th December 2019, 19:37   #36
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I am not in the market now.
However, to me it is a tough choice between the DCT AT Turbo Petrol Venue and the top spec AUTOGEAR XUV300 (I’m just wondering about the petrol bit on this though)
Old 12th December 2019, 10:43   #37
BHPian

Voted for the Venue, due to it's great 1.0 T-GDI which is a match for the 1.0 Ecoboost, and buyers are loving it. Hopefully it's reliable too. The only downsides are it's space and rear styling, which is not at all SUV like in my opinion. Didn't vote for the EcoSport as now, it feels dated, it's been only sale since 2013, and it is time that Ford replaces it(unpopular opinion). The XUV300 is overpriced, and the Brezza feels like the jack of all trades, but the master of none.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
However, to me it is a tough choice between the DCT AT Turbo Petrol Venue and the top spec AUTOGEAR XUV300 (I’m just wondering about the petrol bit on this though)
I think that the Venue DCT would be a superior choice to the XUV300 AT, since the DCT is way more superior than a basic AMT. What was Mahindra thinking by selling a car with an AMT gearbox at this price point?
BZ25 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2019, 15:04   #38
BHPian

Voted for EcoSport since that was the only car which put a smile on my face during the test drives of all the cars in the list. And I am a proud owner of one now.
Old 12th December 2019, 23:14   #39
BHPian

Need a CSUV under 12 lakhs

Hi Guys, I am in a bit of pickle while selecting our next car. So am going to increase the confusion by throwing it out in the open here.

Few points before I list the requirements.
1. This will be our only car for next 3-5 years with no intention to add another small car
2. Will replace our 2011 petrol i20
3. I don’t reside in India, so the annual running will be maximum 5000 km.
4. No Maruti Suzuki at any cost

Must have requirements
1. Should cost less than 12 lakhs on road
2. Minimum 2 airbags plus basic safety features
3. Has to be a CSUV ( no need of 7 seats)
4. No Sedans please!
5. Should be able to sit 5 adults comfortably (spoilt by Duster/i20)
6. Folding mirrors, Apple CarPlay
7. Should hold 2 suitcases for all those airport runs (this is still negotiable)
8. Has to be a manual since this well might be our last MT car!
9. Would love a sturdy build

Apart from these must have requirements, I am not really keen on other things and everything else will be an added bonus. We might be open to pre owned cars but I am trying to avoid hassles that come with it.

Short listed cars so far:

1. Hyundai Venue Petrol/Diesel MT: This was a no brainer at first and I had made up my mind to pick it up next year based on all the videos and reviews. Since we have owned Hyundai before, I know it will be hassle free and I won’t have to worry about the car for next 5-7 years. This was when I was in Berlin and hadn’t seen the car in person. Saw the car on road while coming home from airport and lost all my interest in it somehow. Although it is the top contender for now, I don’t feel it’s an actual upgrade from our i20 and it’s a very small car. Fuel choice should not matter but would be inclined towards petrol for all the BS6 drama about to unfold in 2020.

2. Tata Nexon: I love the car and it’s build but no one else in my family likes it somehow. Took a test drive last week and am game to pick it up. Top model is well within our budget but it’s gonna be a huge task convincing my family. Again, fuel choice does not matter.

3. New Renault Duster: Pretty sure I can get RXS/RXZ under 12 lakhs. I know the vehicle inside out and my family is pretty positive about getting a Duster again. Only grouse I have is that I don’t feel like plonking a million rupees in a new Renault product and Duster doesn’t feel worth that kind of money in 2020. Would have a happily bought if they had the international version here. Has to be Diesel as Petrol Duster is a joke.

4. Used Creta: Have driven this extensively and I just love the 1.6 diesel but it’s no handler and a no nonsense car to own. There’s no way I can put more than 15 lakhs in a car so looking for used ones. Saw some good examples around 8-9 lakhs and a 3 year old Creta can last for next 5-7 years easily.

5. Used Duster: My Duster was pre owned and it give a lot of heartburn due to small niggles. I spent first few months correcting the issues but the car was mechanically robust and I loved it to bits. Can find good examples around 6-7 lakhs but bit afraid of small hassles that might come with it. Also I don’t have much time to scout vehicles as I visit India only for few weeks. I am keen on this option now as it will save me a lot of money if picked wisely.

Tentative month of purchase is April 2020 so I still have few months. We did not shortlist Hector/Harrier/XUV as we really don’t need a big vehicle and all of them are well above our budget. Haven’t driven Seltos but I keep on reading different issues about it on forum, so not really keen. All comments and suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance
Old 12th December 2019, 23:27   #40
BHPian

Re: Need a CSUV under 12 lakhs

Any reason why Ecosport is not in your list? I believe it ticks most of your boxes, with build quality and handling being the highlights. The diesel is a hoot to drive and 5 medium sized adults should be manageable.
Old 13th December 2019, 01:52   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbowhistle View Post
Has to be a CSUV ( no need of 7 seats)
Should be able to sit 5 adults comfortably (spoilt by Duster/i20)
If you want to seat 5 adults in comfort in a sub-4m compact SUV, you can look at the Nexon, Mahindra XUV300 and Honda W-RV. Unfortunately, the petrol engines on all these cars are strictly average and your usage doesn't justify going for a diesel vehicle. Mahindra and Tata products might have minor niggles show up from time to time, especially as they age.

If you can compromise slightly on rear seat space, Ford Ecosport 1.5 petrol top-end will be a beautiful match for your requirements. Nice engine, strong build, feature-loaded and <12 lakhs. Go ahead and check it out.

In case you plan for a 2-3 year old car, my recommendation would be a petrol Creta 1.6. But I'm not sure if it'll make much sense in front of a brand new Ecosport (at a slightly higher price) for enthusiasts.
self_driven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2019, 03:12   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

If you can extend your budget up to ₹15L, have a look at the Seltos as well. It's effectively the new gen Creta and will be a proper upgrade from the i20 given you weren't very impressed with the Venue.
It may not have all the comfort features like android auto, etc. But they can be upgraded too.

Also as suggested by others - do give the EcoSport a look if you want a fun to drive CSUV, and the XUV 300 makes a strong case for itself as well as an all rounded CSUV.
Old 13th December 2019, 05:32   #43
BHPian

Quote:

Short listed cars so far:

1. Hyundai Venue Petrol/Diesel MT:
Very curious, why not Venue and why did you lost interest in that. What does your family say about Venue?

Quote:
2. Tata Nexon: it’s gonna be a huge task convincing my family.
Any specific reason, why your family doesn't like Nexon?

Have you taken test ride of Venue and Nexon along with your family?

If you are planning to use only 5000 Km a year, suggest you only consider Petrol variant of any.
Old 13th December 2019, 10:17   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys, I am in a bit of pickle while selecting our next car.

[...]

3. New Renault Duster

[...]

5. Used Duster
Throwing in a wild card given your Duster love and prior ownership experience.

I would strongly suggest taking a serious look at the Renault Captur.

Take a careful look at the official review, and an excellent ownership review of the car here - highlighting issues and they're eventual fixes.

What you'll see is:
1. Major problems in the vehicle at the time of official review - steering kickback and price are now addressed, and suddenly, there car you're looking at is no longer overpriced junk. It is a flop though, but that works in your favour - you get it for a fair price.
2. You can get it under 12L - it's got discounts ~3L before you even start negotiating with a dealer.
3. Despite being a flop, you don't have to worry about parts since it's just a duster in new clothes. All the exclusivity and VFM of a flop, none of the issues.
4. Your issue of a new Duster not feeling worth it after discounts should be sorted by the Captur. It truly looks gorgeous from the outside IMO. Sure, you still get the same engine, mechanicals and the interior isn't so nice and the ergonomics are troubling for some, but I think this is really VFM by any standard. Plus, it'll ride and handle well.
5. You get 4 airbags. I think getting a car with just 2 airbags when those with 4/6/7 are available is a really bad idea.
6. It ticks all your boxes, has a good build, etc etc.

Last edited by Mu009 : 13th December 2019 at 10:19. Reason: Added some stuff
Old 13th December 2019, 11:28   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Must have requirements
2. Minimum 2 airbags plus basic safety features
3. Has to be a CSUV ( no need of 7 seats)
4. No Sedans please!
5. Should be able to sit 5 adults comfortably (spoilt by Duster/i20)
6. Folding mirrors, Apple CarPlay
7. Should hold 2 suitcases for all those airport runs (this is still negotiable)
8. Has to be a manual since this well might be our last MT car!
9. Would love a sturdy build
Might I suggest the Seltos 1.5P HTK (or HTK+) to be added to your list? It satisfies all your requirements and comes within the budget. It's not too big for city use, can seat 5, has good boot space and has all your required features, including a BS6 fuel efficient petrol engine. Since you plan to buy in April, you still have another 4 months to review customer feedbacks for this new model before you take a call.

Among your other shortlists, it will be a real squeeze for five people in the Venue.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks