Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

View Poll Results: Which compact SUV would you pick?
Hyundai Venue 98 18.08%
Maruti Vitara Brezza 29 5.35%
Mahindra XUV300 62 11.44%
Tata Nexon 137 25.28%
Ford EcoSport 199 36.72%
Honda WR-V 8 1.48%
Other (please specify in your post) 9 1.66%
Voters: 542. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2019, 13:35   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Need a CSUV under 12 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbowhistle View Post
Hi Guys, I am in a bit of pickle while selecting our next car. So am going to increase the confusion by throwing it out in the open here.
Must have requirements
1. Should cost less than 12 lakhs on road
2. Minimum 2 airbags plus basic safety features
3. Has to be a CSUV ( no need of 7 seats)
4. No Sedans please!
5. Should be able to sit 5 adults comfortably (spoilt by Duster/i20)
6. Folding mirrors, Apple CarPlay
7. Should hold 2 suitcases for all those airport runs (this is still negotiable)
8. Has to be a manual since this well might be our last MT car!
9. Would love a sturdy build
As an owner, I'd strongly recommend you go with your choice. Pick the Nexon. There are sweet deals on it right now. That will make the proposition even more lucrative. Meets absolutely all of your requirements in the XZ+ trim. Go for the Diesel Nexon XZ+. Its a formidable car in city as well as on highway. A joy to drive with the peace of mind of proven safety.

2nd pick would be the EcoSport from me. Another good package of solid build, driving dynamics & VFM. But doesn't welcome 5 people much.

If not the Nexon or EcoSport, pick the KIA Seltos. Its a nice compact car. Looker as well. VFM for now but the prices are going to jump up in 2 weeks. You will mostly have to pay the increased prices & the bump is not going to be small from whats informed by dealers.

The current latest gen Duster is a disaster on specifications & feature combinations to be honest. Don't go for it I'd say. Too old now.

Last edited by Reinhard : 13th December 2019 at 13:40.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2019, 17:22   #47
BHPian

Re: Need a CSUV under 12 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
If you want to seat 5 adults in comfort in a sub-4m compact SUV, you can look at the Nexon, Mahindra XUV300 and Honda W-RV. Unfortunately, the petrol engines on all these cars are strictly average and your usage doesn't justify going for a diesel vehicle. Mahindra and Tata products might have minor niggles show up from time to time, especially as they age.

If you can compromise slightly on rear seat space, Ford Ecosport 1.5 petrol top-end will be a beautiful match for your requirements. Nice engine, strong build, feature-loaded and <12 lakhs. Go ahead and check it out.

In case you plan for a 2-3 year old car, my recommendation would be a petrol Creta 1.6. But I'm not sure if it'll make much sense in front of a brand new Ecosport (at a slightly higher price) for enthusiasts.
Thanks, Will check out Ecosport petrol, not so keen on Petrol Creta as our Petrol i20 is not exactly fuel efficient. Creta won’t be much different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeinated View Post
Any reason why Ecosport is not in your list? I believe it ticks most of your boxes, with build quality and handling being the highlights. The diesel is a hoot to drive and 5 medium sized adults should be manageable.
Because none of my acquaintances owned one so I could never experience it ( wanted to buy a known car). Will checkout soon, good thing about it is that’s well under my budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
If you can extend your budget up to ₹15L, have a look at the Seltos as well. It's effectively the new gen Creta and will be a proper upgrade from the i20 given you weren't very impressed with the Venue.
It may not have all the comfort features like android auto, etc. But they can be upgraded too.
Thanks, since I will be out of India for 11 months and our primary use will be very limited. So not very keen on putting more money right now. Might take a look at HTK or HTK+ Diesel MT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutsy View Post
Very curious, why not Venue and why did you lost interest in that. What does your family say about Venue?
Any specific reason, why your family doesn't like Nexon?
Have you taken test ride of Venue and Nexon along with your family?
If you are planning to use only 5000 Km a year, suggest you only consider Petrol variant of any.
The thing about Venue, it felt very small and doesn’t feel like an upgrade for my current car.

I am trying to convince my family to take a look at Nexon again but I don’t have much hopes as I don’t want to force my selection on my family/sister. My wife and sister hasn’t liked the way it looks and they call it bigger Indica.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mu009 View Post
Throwing in a wild card given your Duster love and prior ownership experience.
I would strongly suggest taking a serious look at the Renault Captur.
Yes, I had totally forgotten about Captur. Thank you for reminding. Have put a request for a quote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Might I suggest the Seltos 1.5P HTK (or HTK+) to be added to your list? It satisfies all your requirements and comes within the budget. It's not too big for city use, can seat 5, has good boot space and has all your required features, including a BS6 fuel efficient petrol engine. Since you plan to buy in April, you still have another 4 months to review customer feedbacks for this new model before you take a call.

Among your other shortlists, it will be a real squeeze for five people in the Venue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
If not the Nexon or EcoSport, pick the KIA Seltos. Its a nice compact car. Looker as well. VFM for now but the prices are going to jump up in 2 weeks. You will mostly have to pay the increased prices & the bump is not going to be small from whats informed by dealers.

The current latest gen Duster is a disaster on specifications & feature combinations to be honest. Don't go for it I'd say. Too old now.
Have asked my BIL to checkout Seltos, but not very keen on getting one seeing all the issues cropping up. Will have to pickup Diesel MT in case we decide on getting one.

Quote:
Totally agreed , that is the only reason I don’t want to put 12 big ones in a Duster again. My friend just picked up a 2014 adventure edition for 5.25L and got me thinking again.
turbowhistle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2019, 15:07   #48

Re: Hyundai Venue vs the competition

Hi,

Came across this as am looking to get my parents a xuv300. Did not find any better match for a sub 15lakhs compact suv with auto options.

Let me know if there is anything in particular to watch out on the xuv300?

Have seen Venue but not too o.k with the shape. XUV 300 has a lot of features on the top end automatic.
Old 8th January 2020, 09:03   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by partyallnight View Post
Hi,

Came across this as am looking to get my parents a xuv300. Did not find any better match for a sub 15lakhs compact suv with auto options.

Let me know if there is anything in particular to watch out on the xuv300?

Have seen Venue but not too o.k with the shape. XUV 300 has a lot of features on the top end automatic.
XUV 300 offers an AMT, which isn't a proper automatic (doesn't even qualify in my book). But even those who are okay with AMTs in more budget products wouldn't advice you to pay so much for an AMT.

I suggest you look at the Ford EcoSport - it has a proper AT with 6 airbags, and the Titanium+ trim it comes in (Titanium or Titanium+, not sure which), is reasonably well equipped. Check it out before deciding where to plonk your money.

Venue (apart from subjective issue of shape for you), comes with a DSG automatic that is chronically unreliable technology.
Old 18th February 2020, 21:10   #50
BHPian

Hi Bhpians and Venue DCT owners, I need your advice, regarding the purchase of a vehicle by my brother, Venue is one of the short listed vehicles, which also include 2020 Vitara Brezza and Ford EcoSport. The car will be driven mostly in city, that is Delhi and Gurgaon. So automatic is a must. As it will be mostly be driven in bumper to bumper peak traffic, we are a bit worried about the overheating issues of the Venue DCT. As the temperature here may cross 45 degrees centigrade, that may worsen the problem. What are your experiences regarding this. My brother is not a driving enthusiast, and the car will be driven by his wife most of the time, that is why we are more inclined towards Vitara Brezza, that has a tried and tested Torque converter. Ford EcoSport is a good car, but we are not sure about the future of the Ford in India. The current generation also misses the Apple car play and Android auto. AMT’s are ruled out, so no Nexon or XUV300.
Old 1st March 2020, 23:27   #51
Senior - BHPian

Similar to the above post, will the DCT in the Venue have reliability problems?

My BIL is looking for a petrol automatic in this segment for mainly city runs. Is the rear bench space of the Venue better than Ecosport? And how is the FE of these cars in city traffic? He is not intending a pedal to metal performer, though the SUV-ish advantage is welcome along with adequate power. Other contenders being Nexon, now Brezza and XUV300, not much keener on the later two.
Old 15th March 2020, 19:34   #52
BHPian

My 1st Automatic Car - Budget 11 lakhs

Hey All,

So I have been dreaming of driving a car since I turned 18 but never got the chance! Now that I have finally settled into my job, I am looking for a good new first car. Requirements:
  1. Car should have good build quality and be reliable
  2. Should be fairly safe
  3. BS6 Petrol
  4. Should have good infotainment system (especially Android Auto)
  5. Should look good
  6. Although I am preferring Automatic since I live in Bangalore and the traffic here is hell, if people say Manual is not too hectic, I can get manual too
  7. Will be used 90% time for city/office commute. Highway trips would not be too frequent but would be an aspect.

Budget: 11L (Not fixed)

Research done:
I have already test driven these vehicles:
  • Baleno Petrol CVT Alpha
  • Grand i10 Alpha Manual Petrol
  • Hyundai Venue SX+ DCT Petrol 1.0 TURBO
  • Honda Amaze CVT Petrol
  • Hyundai Grand i10 NIOS AMT Sportz Petrol
  • Honda City 1.5 Petrol Manual

So I loved Baleno Alpha CVT and wanted to buy it since a long time. The cvt transmission felt amazing and the pickup was great. Rubber banding effect was also less. I am also in love with it's looks (esp Nexa blue colour). I have also heard about amazing things regarding Nexa dealership.
In fact I was just about to book the car when I heard terrible user reviews! My office mates said the build quality is quite bad and the car is not safe! I was wondering how that is possible since it scored 3 in NCAP. So looks like the car doesn't inspire confidence at high speeds. Also, I have heard since the sheet metal is quite thin, it's easily dent-able. This was quite a big concern to me since I am a new driver and don't want my car to be full of dents. Someone told me it gets dented just by people leaning on it or opening/closing the bonnet frequently. I also saw similar concerns on team bhp threads.

My query is, is this really the case? Is the outer body so dentable? Does the issue still persist in 2020 models? Immediately I started looking at alternatives. People told me Hyundai has amazing build quality. Since i20 is no longer available in automatic, I started looking at Grand i10 NIOS AMT. I must say, the car looks like a nice overall package. My only concern is there are some features missing from this car compared to Baleno and the looks are not that great. Also, I have heard AMTs are bad for bumper to bumper traffic but I found this AMT to be pretty good. What I don't know about is how is the sheet quality? Is the car stable at high speeds? Does AMT worsen with time?

I also tried Venue DCT and absolutely loved it but then I heard terrible things about DCT transmission and how it heats up in heavy traffic. I don't see much point in getting auto if you can't drive comfortably in bumper to bumper. Is it still the case with new venues? Sales person said the issue is sorted out.
If that is the case, I will book venue.

Currently I am confused between i10, Baleno and Amaze. I also love Honda City but the auto variant is out of my budget. Is it really bad to drive with a manual in city traffic? Will really appreciate this forum's inputs in helping me decide the car.
dhruvky94 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th March 2020, 20:30   #53
BHPian

re: My 1st Automatic Car - Budget 11 lakhs

Why not go for a Yaris J CVT? Ticks most of your boxes and you can go for a aftermarket HU with Android Auto. I drive a V CVT and its butter smooth to drive, gives 11kmpl with AC in B2B bangalore traffic, 21kmpl on 4 lane highways and is built to a very high quality standards. Rear seat space is a downer though.
nagr22 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2020, 21:16   #54
Senior - BHPian

You must also test drive the BS6 Polo AT (either Highhline or GT) whenever it is available. Cramped rear seat is the only shortcoming I see.
Guna is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th March 2020, 21:24   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvky94 View Post
So I loved Baleno Alpha CVT and wanted to buy it since a long time. The cvt transmission felt amazing and the pickup was great. Rubber banding effect was also less.
I would stay far away from Baleno CVT. The car is under-powered, at least for my driving needs. That, coupled with a CVT transmission, would be quite boring to drive. The only good thing I have heard about Baleno CVT is that it gives decent fuel efficiency. From your AT cars list, I would pick the Hyundai Venue.

Last edited by clevermax : 15th March 2020 at 21:30.
clevermax is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th March 2020, 21:28   #56
BHPian

Let the hunt begin !!!

Let this be a well thought through decision.

You can also consider the following -

Ford Ecosport
Tata Nexon

I have added these as you have also shortlisted Venue.

Other things you should consider -

How long do you plan to own the vehicle ?
Past ownership within family, what did you like or hate?
Usage of the car planned ?
Any major life events planned in next couple of years ?
freak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2020, 21:44   #57
BHPian

Would recommend looking at the Nexon. I have the diesel one and I absolutely love it! Not sure how the petrol performs but it has received a bump in power with the BS6 version. Test out the AMT version.

In case the above doesn't work - Of the final 3 that you're looking, would suggest you check out the Amaze. Should be butter smooth to drive and I hope Honda still ticks the box on reliability since it's Japanese.
nikhilthegunner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2020, 21:45   #58
Senior - BHPian

More than MT/AT, you need to be clear about the body style. Hatchbacks are best suited for city duties. You'll find C-segment sedans to be more cumbersome if you drive in narrow lanes or need to park at tight spots. Compact SUVs fare slightly better in this regard but can be tough to navitage through tight spaces due to their sheer width.

I do not see much of a trouble with the Venue though. It has a nice & commanding driving position (bonnet is visible) and an overall compact footprint. You have valid concerns about DCT heating issue though. I'd suggest you to take a test drive of the manual turbo variant and go for it if you find the controls manageable.

If automatic transmission is a must, Amaze CVT would be my pick over Baleno CVT given that both are available at almost the same price. Baleno has better performance, infotainment unit and mileage on its side but, as an overall product, Honda feels better. Goes without saying, test drive is a must.

Quote:
I was wondering how that is possible since it scored 3 in NCAP
Maruti Baleno sold in India hasn't been crash tested yet.

Quote:
My query is, is this really the case?
Some comments on Baleno's build quality are highly exaggerated. Yes, it gets dented easily in traffic with slightest of nudges and scrapes from two-wheelers where other cars come out with lesser damage. But damage with fingers, opening/closing doors and such stories are crap. Do you think thousands of people who drive it every day would keep quiet if that was the case?

Quote:
Also, I have heard AMTs are bad for bumper to bumper traffic but I found this AMT to be pretty good.
Do not consider AMTs if you have the budget for proper automatics. Period. Out of the options you've shortlisted, I'd pick either an automatic Amaze or a manual 1.0 Venue.

Last edited by self_driven : 15th March 2020 at 21:47.
self_driven is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th March 2020, 22:19   #59
BHPian

Please do consider MS Brezza (P) TC. It's NCAP rating for BS4 variant was 4 stars. I would prefer a daily drive to be a super reliable Japanese car.

And honestly do try out the AMTs. I personally felt they are pretty decent in city traffic. They are far better than a heated DSG in stop and go traffic. I have observed more than 2-3 times Polo GT TSI with 7 speed DSG lunge forward when stuck in traffic jam for 15-20 minutes.

Personally I would try the new Polo GT TSI with 6 speed AT. This should take care of your daily needs and weekend trips.
BrakeFree is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2020, 22:36   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagr22 View Post
Why not go for a Yaris J CVT?
Yes, that is a nice option. Not sure about the cost of maintenance of a Toyota Yaris though. Also not sure about the dealership experience and infotainment system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
You must also test drive the BS6 Polo AT (either Highhline or GT) whenever it is available. Cramped rear seat is the only shortcoming I see.
I did consider polo earlier but my friends recommended against it since the cost of maintenance is too high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I would stay far away from Baleno CVT. The car is under-powered, at least for my driving needs. That, coupled with a CVT transmission, would be quite boring to drive. The only good thing I have heard about Baleno CVT is that it gives decent fuel efficiency. From your AT cars list, I would pick the Hyundai Venue.
It is quite boring to drive yes, but I found the pickup to be quite good. Hyundai Venue has issue with DCT though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freak View Post
Let the hunt begin!
Thanks

I did consider Ford Ecosport but dropped it due to old styling of the dashboard and lack of good infotainment system. For Tata cars, my family did not have a good experience and my dad recommends against any Tata car.

For ownership, I plan to own as long as I don't leave India and then transfer the vehicle to my father.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilthegunner View Post
Would recommend looking at the Nexon.

In case the above doesn't work - Of the final 3 that you're looking, would suggest you check out the Amaze.
I did consider Nexon earlier but my family has bad exp with Tata cars and dad doesn't want me to get it. Given that I may have to give this car to him if I need to leave India, don't want to go against his wishes.

Will definitely consider Amaze. The only thing I didn't like about it was the lack of features and the poor infotainment system.

Last edited by aah78 : 15th March 2020 at 23:01. Reason: Posts merged. Quotes trimmed. Typos.

Most Viewed