Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

View Poll Results: Which compact SUV would you pick?
Hyundai Venue 98 18.08%
Maruti Vitara Brezza 29 5.35%
Mahindra XUV300 62 11.44%
Tata Nexon 137 25.28%
Ford EcoSport 199 36.72%
Honda WR-V 8 1.48%
Other (please specify in your post) 9 1.66%
Voters: 542. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2020, 22:50   #61
Senior - BHPian

re: My 1st Automatic Car - Budget 11 lakhs

I've been driving in Bangalore since 20 years and the traffic chaos that has risen in last 5 years is tantamount to hellish to say the least. So an automatic is a big MUST for you, no two ways about it especially since you stated 80% of your usage is going to be in city. Add to that the parking woes in the city. Recently, I spotted a bumper sticker that read " It's not about what you drive, it's about where you park ".

The mushrooming of so many food delivery apps points to the aforesaid woes. People are more and more not stepping out with their cars.

If you're a tall person, go for a compact SUV like Venue, Ecosport, which are all nimble and compact enough to zip around in the city. The ingress and egress on a SUV would be much easier than a lowly sitting hatch.

Last edited by aah78 : 15th March 2020 at 23:00. Reason: Typos. Spacing. Please run a spell-check before posting. Thanks!
Bibendum90949 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2020, 23:15   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
More than MT/AT, you need to be clear about the body style. Hatchbacks are best suited for city duties. You'll find C-segment sedans to be more cumbersome if you drive in narrow lanes or need to park at tight spots. Compact SUVs fare slightly better in this regard but can be tough to navitage through tight spaces due to their sheer width.

I do not see much of a trouble with the Venue though. It has a nice & commanding driving position (bonnet is visible) and an overall compact footprint. You have valid concerns about DCT heating issue though. I'd suggest you to take a test drive of the manual turbo variant and go for it if you find the controls manageable.

If automatic transmission is a must, Amaze CVT would be my pick over Baleno CVT given that both are available at almost the same price. Baleno has better performance, infotainment unit and mileage on its side but, as an overall product, Honda feels better. Goes without saying, test drive is a must.

Maruti Baleno sold in India hasn't been crash tested yet.

Some comments on Baleno's build quality are highly exaggerated. Yes, it gets dented easily in traffic with slightest of nudges and scrapes from two-wheelers where other cars come out with lesser damage. But damage with fingers, opening/closing doors and such stories are crap. Do you think thousands of people who drive it every day would keep quiet if that was the case?

Do not consider AMTs if you have the budget for proper automatics. Period. Out of the options you've shortlisted, I'd pick either an automatic Amaze or a manual 1.0 Venue.

I do agree that form factor also plays a big role here. However, I quite liked the Venue form factor. It was compact enough to drive and me being a shot guy could easily see the bonnet. I will test drive venue maual 1.0 Turbo in city traffic and check if that suits me better. Will steer clear (pun intended) of the baleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrakeFree View Post
Please do consider MS Brezza (P) TC. It's NCAP rating for BS4 variant was 4 stars. I would prefer a daily drive to be a super reliable Japanese car.

And honestly do try out the AMTs. I personally felt they are pretty decent in city traffic. They are far better than a heated DSG in stop and go traffic. I have observed more than 2-3 times Polo GT TSI with 7 speed DSG lunge forward when stuck in traffic jam for 15-20 minutes.

Personally I would try the new Polo GT TSI with 6 speed AT. This should take care of your daily needs and weekend trips.

I have heard all MS cars have build issues so didn't really look at Breeza. Is it not the case? If so, Breeza would be a great option for me! For Polo, people have said maintenance would be quite expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
I've been driving in Bangalore since 20 years and the traffic chaos that has risen in last 5 years is tantamount to hellish to say the least. So an automatic is a big MUST for you, no two ways about it especially since you stated 80% of your usage is going to be in city. Add to that the parking woes in the city. Recently, I spotted a bumper sticker that read " It's not about what you drive, it's about where you park ".

The mushrooming of so many food delivery apps points to the aforesaid woes. People are more and more not stepping out with their cars.

If you're a tall person, go for a compact SUV like Venue, Ecosport, which are all nimble and compact enough to zip around in the city. The ingress and egress on a SUV would be much easier than a lowly sitting hatch.

I am not a tall person per se but was able to see venue bonnet quite clearly and it was a good drive for me. The only issue is with the DCT else would have booked Venue immediately :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Dhruvky, since you said you don't hit highways much and drive mostly in Bangalore city traffic, you would be better off buying a reliable automatic hatchback. If I were you I would look at Baleno or Jazz CVT. Only torque converter or CVT can give you peace of mind.

Baleno is an excellent car and not for nothing it sells as many as it does. It is also the one which delivers highest mileage per litre of petrol, among others. I don't know why some of us are so unduly harsh on Baleno. On one hand, we say on these forums and posts that sheet metal thickness has nothing to do with safety of a car and, on the other hand, we also say Maruti cars are unsafe because of thin sheet metal. Which statement is true?

I have a friend who does 640 KM one-way monthly runs between Vizag and Nellore in his Baleno, apart from some hard in-town abuse but his 2016 Baleno still looks and runs like new. And, no hatchback can beat it in looks. Not even Polo which looks dated now, apart from DCT uncertainty. Jazz is another good alternative for a little extra where you get cruise control and paddle shifts which neither Baleno nor i20 have.

Yes, Jazz was also a good consideration for me but unfortunately they have stopped it right now awaiting new facelift in Mid 2020. I am not sure about Baleno safety issue but definitely don't want dents in my car due to some silly incidents which I can't even control (like someone hitting car a bit hard). Will that case occur?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagr22 View Post
The dealership and service experience at Toyota is one of the best in Industry. Do visit one of their showrooms to have a feel of it. Regarding maintenance, I have so far done 2 services on my Yaris and the first one cost me 1500Rs and the second one 3500Rs. I might seem a bit biased due to all my cars being Toyotas, so do enquire with others. And no matter which car you choose, do not decide without a long test drive with your family at the back seat. We strangers can give our feedback about service and maintenance experiences but when it comes to driveability, ergonomics, rear seat comfort etc, everyone has their own tastes and the car you choose has to satisfy your and your family's tastes.

Regarding your question about AT or MT, DO NOT buy an MT in Bangalore. Your left leg will thank you. Good luck

Thanks will checkout the car. How is the interior and infotainment system quality?

Last edited by Zappo : 15th March 2020 at 23:45. Reason: You are making far too many back to back posts. You have been warned before. For one last time - please use multiquote button to respond to everyone in a single post.
Old 15th March 2020, 23:25   #63
Senior - BHPian

Dhruvky, since you said you don't hit highways much and drive mostly in Bangalore city traffic, you would be better off buying a reliable automatic hatchback. If I were you I would look at Baleno or Jazz CVT. Only torque converter or CVT can give you peace of mind.

Baleno is an excellent car and not for nothing it sells as many as it does. It is also the one which delivers highest mileage per litre of petrol, among others. I don't know why some of us are so unduly harsh on Baleno. On one hand, we say on these forums and posts that sheet metal thickness has nothing to do with safety of a car and, on the other hand, we also say Maruti cars are unsafe because of thin sheet metal. Which statement is true?

I have a friend who does 640 KM one-way monthly runs between Vizag and Nellore in his Baleno, apart from some hard in-town abuse but his 2016 Baleno still looks and runs like new. And, no hatchback can beat it in looks. Not even Polo which looks dated now, apart from DCT uncertainty. Jazz is another good alternative for a little extra where you get cruise control and paddle shifts which neither Baleno nor i20 have.

Last edited by pgsagar : 15th March 2020 at 23:26. Reason: spelling error
pgsagar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2020, 23:26   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvky94 View Post
Yes, that is a nice option. Not sure about the cost of maintenance of a Toyota Yaris though. Also not sure about the dealership experience and infotainment system.

The dealership and service experience at Toyota is one of the best in Industry. Do visit one of their showrooms to have a feel of it. Regarding maintenance, I have so far done 2 services on my Yaris and the first one cost me 1500Rs and the second one 3500Rs. I might seem a bit biased due to all my cars being Toyotas, so do enquire with others. And no matter which car you choose, do not decide without a long test drive with your family at the back seat. We strangers can give our feedback about service and maintenance experiences but when it comes to driveability, ergonomics, rear seat comfort etc, everyone has their own tastes and the car you choose has to satisfy your and your family's tastes.

Regarding your question about AT or MT, DO NOT buy an MT in Bangalore. Your left leg will thank you. Good luck
nagr22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2020, 23:42   #65
BHPian

Hi dhruvky94,
Since you are looking for a Petrol+Auto transmission, as your first car,
Why not checkout the BS6 Vitara Brezza as well?

It covers most of your requirements and being a Maruti, it won't disappoint you interms of reliability and service.
Safety wise, Brezza had scored 4 stars in the Global NCAP test.
The 200mm ground clearance is an added bonus, to tackle Bangalore roads.
Do test drive it, before eliminating it from your list.

All the best for your car hunt.

Last edited by DLC5005 : 15th March 2020 at 23:54. Reason: Added
DLC5005 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2020, 23:55   #66
Senior - BHPian

Choice between MT & AT should be fairly simple considering you are in Bangalore. AT all the way in 2020. A friend got creta manual last year for similar budget as mine(~11L). Within a year he is already repenting & now often travels with me. I chose the Jazz CVT over MTs for the convenience it offers in our b2b traffic. Atleast till all the metro work is over(read atleast another 4-5 years) , traffic isn't gonna improve for sure.

About the car, I did test drive i20 & Baleno CVTs extensively as well but Jazz felt the most sorted mechanically thanks to the reliable 1.2 iVtec-CVT combo which is oldest among the three. Build quality also is pretty decent & it comes with paddleshifters and cruise control which I didn't know would be such a boon on those one-off highway trips. But it does lack on feature front a bit ( missing projectors,DRLs , adjustable rear headrest being the primary ones). Price wise, thanks to the discounts, Jazz comes cheaper than Baleno or i20 CVT now.

Happy shopping

P.S: If you plan to replace it within 3-4 years & hence resale matters more, please ignore Jazz. Baleno or i20 would be better in that front.
SoumenD is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 00:24   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLC5005 View Post
Hi dhruvky94,

It covers most of your requirements and being a Maruti, it won't disappoint you interms of reliability and service.
Safety wise, Brezza had scored 4 stars in the Global NCAP test.
The 200mm ground clearance is an added bonus, to tackle Bangalore roads.
Do test drive it, before eliminating it from your list.

Brezza auto is a 4 speed one. Isn't that a downer? Won't this affect the fuel consumption figures badly? 'Ive not driven it but would like to hear fellow bhpians comments on this.

No doubt, Maruti's service and reliability can be banked upon.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 07:41   #68
BHPian

I know , this is something that no one has suggested but if you're ready to consider Suzuki 4 speed AT boxes, you should also try out the XL6 AT . The Ertiga, when I owned it, was surprisingly nimble. It was easier to drive compared to a punto I had back then. It's very nimble and has amazing functionality. Just try it out for the heck of it when you're at the next showroom.

Personally, I have moved away from Suzuki because the build quality is crap.

I now own a Creta 1.6 diesel AT, which is so boring to drive in the city . ON the highways though its king.

The other car is a Seltos GT DCT which is just fab to drive . Fortunately I've not had to drive it in B'lore like traffic and so havent seen the DCT issues .

Also, have a Nexon AMT and I can't talk enough about this beauty. If you get used to the slight jerky nature of AMT. This car is a perfect car to drive in the city and on the highways, it's even better than our king. It's like a diesel locomotive which just keeps pulling even after high speeds. It's the best considering the cost and the VFM factor is just amazing.

Last edited by Sheel : 21st March 2020 at 10:23. Reason: #11.
gautamkhadse is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 11:44   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLC5005 View Post
Hi dhruvky94,

Yes I have received a lot of good recommendations regarding Brezza. Will check it out. Just a question however, how is the build quality of Brezza? I am afraid of similar issues like Baleno here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Choice between MT & AT should be fairly simple considering you are in Bangalore. AT all the way in 2020. A friend got creta manual last year for similar budget as mine(~11L). Within a year he is already repenting & now often travels with me. I chose the Jazz CVT over MTs for the convenience it offers in our b2b traffic. Atleast till all the metro work is over(read atleast another 4-5 years) , traffic isn't gonna improve for sure.
Yes Jazz was one of my top considerations before they discontinued it! i20 is also not available :( How is i10 NIOS for an option though ?

Quote:
Brezza auto is a 4 speed one. Isn't that a downer? Won't this affect the fuel consumption figures badly? 'Ive not driven it but would like to hear fellow bhpians comments on this.

No doubt, Maruti's service and reliability can be banked upon.
I have also heard the petrol engine is not that good. Test drive will answer this though

Quote:
I know , this is something that no one has suggested but if you're ready to consider Suzuki 4 speed AT boxes, you should also try out the XL6 AT . The Ertiga, when I owned it, was surprisingly nimble. It was easier to drive compared to a punto I had back then. It's very nimble and has amazing functionality. Just try it out for the heck of it when you're at the next showroom....
Yeah I am just avoiding DCT cars for now. How it Tata dealership exp though? Definitely interested in Nexon now!

Guys thanks for all the amazing inputs. I would also appreciate some reviews/feedbacks regarding i10 NIOS AMT Asta variant. This is my top consideration right now till I test drives the new vehicles suggested here.

Last edited by moralfibre : 21st March 2020 at 10:24. Reason: Trimming quoted posts.
Old 16th March 2020, 12:00   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My 1st Automatic Car - Budget 11 lakhs

Quote:
Either on the Ertiga review thread or on the XL6's review thread, a fellow member had uploaded a graph that showed the gear ratios of the manual gearboxes of Suzuki versus the "antiquated" 4 speed automatic gearbox. Surprisingly, the 4th cog in the 4 speed automatic has taller gearing than the 5th gear in the manual - or, if my memory served me wrong - they are at least on par with each other.

The lesser number of gears though on the 4 speed AT means that it will hunt for gears more often in regular driving conditions. In city conditions, its fuel efficiency will be way worse than the manual counterpart's. But on the highway, it is so good. (I have a used A Star Automatic with the same 4 speed by the way. I like the lack of engine braking out on open roads; you can take your foot off the accelerator and it'll keep coasting with minimal drop in speeds. It does exceedingly well on the highway.)
locusjag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 12:19   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Currently I am confused between i10, Baleno and Amaze.
Out of the three, my pick would be Amaze CVT. Reasons:
Honda's integration of CVT is good, easy to drive in city, upshifts are smooth and has decent fuel efficiency. You get a decent boot space for outstation trips. Second choice would be Baleno CVT. I would like to stay away from any AMT, after having experienced Tiago. Just can't get used to it's jerkiness.
ast.ggn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 12:28   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast.ggn View Post
Out of the three, my pick would be Amaze CVT. Reasons:
Honda's integration of CVT is good, easy to drive in city, upshifts are smooth and has decent fuel efficiency. You get a decent boot space for outstation trips. Second choice would be Baleno CVT. I would like to stay away from any AMT, after having experienced Tiago. Just can't get used to it's jerkiness.
Is AMT really that bad? Because I test drove the vehicle and felt the jerk only from 1st to 2nd. Also Amaze is lacking a lot of features when compared to i10 like DRL, projector headlamps, height adjustable seat, 8in Touch screen etc. It is also 1.5 Lakh more expensive!
Old 16th March 2020, 12:42   #73
Team-BHP Support

We were in a similar dilemma in October 2019 in our immediate family, although the budget was 9 Lakh OTR in Delhi.

We bought a Honda Amaze CVT and are very very happy with the decision. I firmly believe it was the most VFM car available at that time, and I don't think that things have changed drastically.

Since you have a higher budget, you can consider Ecosport etc but if I were to buy again, I'd buy Amaze again.

Last edited by Eddy : 16th March 2020 at 12:44.
Eddy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 12:56   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Brezza auto is a 4 speed one. Isn't that a downer? Won't this affect the fuel consumption figures badly?
In terms of performance,
Yes, the 4 speed AT is no match for better performers like Nexon, Venue, EcoSport.
And transmission wise Venue DCT and EcoSport 6AT are any day better.
(But the OP was not interested in either of them as per his earlier comments, hence the suggestion of Brezza)

Fuel efficiency wise, I feel it's inline with other competitors.
It has an ARAI figure of 18.76kmpl for AT.
Obviously, the real time and city milage will be completely different, but expectation is, being Maruti it won't be too low. (I might be wrong though, other experienced people can answer this better)

Quote:
Yes I have received a lot of good recommendations regarding Brezza. Will check it out. Just a question however, how is the build quality of Brezza? I am afraid of similar issues like Baleno here.
The official Team-BHP review of 1.5 Brezza petrol is out now, at the right time. All the details are penned down wonderfully by CrazyDriver.
Please go through this thread.It will answer most of your questions for sure.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...al-review.html (2020 Maruti Vitara Brezza Facelift 1.5L Petrol : Official Review)

Quote:
Yes Jazz was one of my top considerations before they discontinued it! i20 is also not available :( How is i10 NIOS for an option though ?
Yes, Jazz was a better option for you interms of CVT, space, reliability.

Quote:
I have also heard the petrol engine is not that good. Test drive will answer this though
You never know what car will satisfy you, unless you do multiple test drives. So suggest you to test drive all cars in your list multiple times before coming to a conclusion.
Please go through the reviews in Team-BHP as well, for better idea.

Quote:
Yeah I am just avoiding DCT cars for now. How it Tata dealership exp though? Definitely interested in Nexon now!
If you are open to AMTs and TATA, Nexon is also a good option.
And if by any chance you are trying to reconsider EcoSport, then its a worthy option as well, since you get a powerful 1.5 litre 6AT and with best safety features.
(Might have to increase your budget though)
DLC5005 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 13:18   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I also love Honda City but the auto variant is out of my budget. Is it really bad to drive with a manual in city traffic? Will really appreciate this forum's inputs in helping me decide the car.
The Honda City manual falls plum within your budget, and you should pick it up eyes closed. I have been driving one for the past year and 10,000 kms and the experience has been nothing short of fantastic. And no - it is certainly not difficult to drive this in traffic. The clutch is light and has short travel, and the gearbox is a nice and snappy one - perfect ingredients for a good manual experience. The current automatics in this price range just do not impress me, and the DCTs have their own share of issues with respect to reliability and longevity. You should savour the experience of a manual transmission coupled with a great engine today, because this will be a dying breed in the years to come.

Do a couple of test drives of the Honda City manual and you will realize that it is in a different league as compared to the Balenos and other hatches that you are also considering. Of course that is obvious given the larger engine displacement and power figures, but it worth stating.

Unless you are completely fixated on an automatic hatchback, I would strongly suggest that you pick up the City. The iVTEC is a different beast altogether, and there are sweet deals to be had on the present gen City given that March 31 is around the corner. I picked mine up exactly this time last year and had got a fabulous deal on the car in Bangalore.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 16th March 2020 at 13:26.
arindambasu13 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed