Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which compact SUV would you pick?
Hyundai Venue 98 18.08%
Maruti Vitara Brezza 29 5.35%
Mahindra XUV300 62 11.44%
Tata Nexon 137 25.28%
Ford EcoSport 199 36.72%
Honda WR-V 8 1.48%
Other (please specify in your post) 9 1.66%
Voters: 542. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2020, 18:26   #166
BHPian

Re: Need help - looking to purchase my first car

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_v12 View Post
If you are going to go ahead & TD the Creta Diesel, do also try and get one for the Turbo-Petrol (since your monthly running will be a low 1000-1200KM).
Also, I have a contact to Mukesh Hyundai which had been shared by BHPian Pancham. If required I would be glad to share his details with you. He is associated with the sales dept. but sits at the Chetia service.
The turbo petrol auto comes with a DCT and those were never really reliable here in India. Case in point - VW and Ford. While the engine and gearbox is a tempting combination, I'll give it a pass.
If I finalize the Creta, I'll let you know and then you can share the contact

Quote:
Originally Posted by arighna.dutta View Post
In Kolkata, your car would get a scratch from the other motorists the very next day. Pain from that would increase exponentially with the price you might be paying for the car.
Considering all the scenarios, have you given a thought to top spec automatic Santro or Nios? Given you are not a car guy, it will keep you happy and your budget will actually even cover the petrol cost for next few years.
Thanks Arighna! That's why I have the Swift and Polo auto as my fall back options. Right now, I would be very happy with a decade-old Polo AT. However, I was thinking about getting a relatively bigger car to accommodate a larger family a few years down the line. Selling a new car in 3/4 years for an upgrade would not a financially prudent decision for me.

And after this pandemic, renting a car is also not possible in the near term, just for peace of mind if nothing else.

Confusion!
Old 3rd August 2020, 19:15   #167
Senior - BHPian

Re: Need help - looking to purchase my first car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7000plusrpm View Post
The turbo petrol auto comes with a DCT and those were never really reliable here in India. Case in point - VW and Ford.
Sorry for the late response, I'm not sure how I missed this post.

What you said about DCT/DSGs might have been true for older-gen cars, but systems in these cars are now much better sorted. Even our 2016 Vento which has covered over 70k KMs has never ever thrown up any tantrums with the gearbox which goes to show the improvement in reliability of these transmissions.

Yes, the Seltos had problems with the gearbox which had been later solved with a software update. Haven't heard any more complaints.
Old 12th August 2020, 23:05   #168
BHPian

Re: Advice needed: Which petrol car to buy(hatchback/compact SUV) under 10 Lakhs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by virajmore03 View Post
Dear all

Posting this on behalf of a friend who is in the market looking for a petrol car under 10 lakhs (on road Bangalore).

He along with his wife has recently started a part time mexican food (delivery only) business in Bangalore and is looking for a hatch back/compact SUV to do the deliveries/buy groceries. The car should also serve as their family car and will be used for short highway trips.

Basic requirements:

1. Petrol engine.
2. Good build quality and Reliable.
3. Safety
4. has to be a new car.

Options available (not an exhaustive list)

1. Tata Nexon
2. Hyundai Venue
3. Mahindra Xuv 300
4. Ford Ecosport
5. Tata Altroz
6. Volkswagen Polo (2020 1.0 TSI).

Request your inputs/suggestions, that can help him choose right car
Since the car will be used for deliveries and highway trips my first pick would be the Ford Ecosport because of its solid build ,great and superior petrol engine. Also, not to mention its practical boot space. The Polo and the XUV300 should remain out of your consideration due to the lack of space.
My second pick would be the Tata Nexon. After the 2020 BS6 update, the looks have been very well taken care of and the nexon is spacious as well. One let down is Tata's A.S.S which still remains a hit or a miss, so your friend needs to check out few dealerships in Bangalore for more info regarding the A.S.S. Ford on the other hand, have much better After sales so that is something.
The Nexon and Ecosport both, ticks all the above criteria's states by you so I would suggest go take TD's of both and then decide.
Old 12th August 2020, 23:28   #169
BHPian

Re: Advice needed: Which petrol car to buy(hatchback/compact SUV) under 10 Lakhs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by virajmore03 View Post
Dear all

Basic requirements:

1. Petrol engine.
2. Good build quality and Reliable.
3. Safety
4. has to be a new car.
The new WRV fits in to the requirements above. It has the voluminous boot of the lot here and has a low loading lip for good convenience. Test drive the new version and it looks good in person.
Old 20th August 2020, 14:19   #170
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Venue vs the competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefpk View Post
Since the car will be used for deliveries and highway trips my first pick would be the Ford Ecosport because of its solid build ,great and superior petrol engine. Also, not to mention its practical boot space. The Polo and the XUV300 should remain out of your consideration due to the lack of space.
My second pick would be the Tata Nexon. After the 2020 BS6 update, the looks have been very well taken care of and the nexon is spacious as well. One let down is Tata's A.S.S which still remains a hit or a miss, so your friend needs to check out few dealerships in Bangalore for more info regarding the A.S.S. Ford on the other hand, have much better After sales so that is something.
The Nexon and Ecosport both, ticks all the above criteria's states by you so I would suggest go take TD's of both and then decide.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
The new WRV fits in to the requirements above. It has the voluminous boot of the lot here and has a low loading lip for good convenience. Test drive the new version and it looks good in person.
Thank you for your suggestions guys

He bought a Nexon XZA+ AMT last month. And so far is really happy with the car.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Venue vs the competition-nexon1.jpg  

virajmore03 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2020, 11:34   #171
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Venue vs the competition

Compact SUV comparison

Old 29th September 2020, 14:22   #172
BHPian

Re: My 1st Automatic Car - Budget 11 lakhs

Which car did you finally buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvky94 View Post
Hey All,

So I have been dreaming of driving a car since I turned 18 but never got the chance! Now that I have finally settled into my job, I am looking for a good new first car. Requirements:
  1. Car should have good build quality and be reliable
  2. Should be fairly safe
  3. BS6 Petrol
  4. Should have good infotainment system (especially Android Auto)
  5. Should look good
  6. Although I am preferring Automatic since I live in Bangalore and the traffic here is hell, if people say Manual is not too hectic, I can get manual too
  7. Will be used 90% time for city/office commute. Highway trips would not be too frequent but would be an aspect.

Budget: 11L (Not fixed)

Research done:
I have already test driven these vehicles:
  • Baleno Petrol CVT Alpha
  • Grand i10 Alpha Manual Petrol
  • Hyundai Venue SX+ DCT Petrol 1.0 TURBO
  • Honda Amaze CVT Petrol
  • Hyundai Grand i10 NIOS AMT Sportz Petrol
  • Honda City 1.5 Petrol Manual

So I loved Baleno Alpha CVT and wanted to buy it since a long time. The cvt transmission felt amazing and the pickup was great. Rubber banding effect was also less. I am also in love with it's looks (esp Nexa blue colour). I have also heard about amazing things regarding Nexa dealership.
In fact I was just about to book the car when I heard terrible user reviews! My office mates said the build quality is quite bad and the car is not safe! I was wondering how that is possible since it scored 3 in NCAP. So looks like the car doesn't inspire confidence at high speeds. Also, I have heard since the sheet metal is quite thin, it's easily dent-able. This was quite a big concern to me since I am a new driver and don't want my car to be full of dents. Someone told me it gets dented just by people leaning on it or opening/closing the bonnet frequently. I also saw similar concerns on team bhp threads.

My query is, is this really the case? Is the outer body so dentable? Does the issue still persist in 2020 models? Immediately I started looking at alternatives. People told me Hyundai has amazing build quality. Since i20 is no longer available in automatic, I started looking at Grand i10 NIOS AMT. I must say, the car looks like a nice overall package. My only concern is there are some features missing from this car compared to Baleno and the looks are not that great. Also, I have heard AMTs are bad for bumper to bumper traffic but I found this AMT to be pretty good. What I don't know about is how is the sheet quality? Is the car stable at high speeds? Does AMT worsen with time?

I also tried Venue DCT and absolutely loved it but then I heard terrible things about DCT transmission and how it heats up in heavy traffic. I don't see much point in getting auto if you can't drive comfortably in bumper to bumper. Is it still the case with new venues? Sales person said the issue is sorted out.
If that is the case, I will book venue.

Currently I am confused between i10, Baleno and Amaze. I also love Honda City but the auto variant is out of my budget. Is it really bad to drive with a manual in city traffic? Will really appreciate this forum's inputs in helping me decide the car.
Old 29th September 2020, 14:39   #173
BHPian

Re: My 1st Automatic Car - Budget 11 lakhs

If you haven't bought yet the new altroz with the turbo engine with automatic (no confirm news yet) would be launched soon, you can consider that as well.

Last edited by yesyeswe : 29th September 2020 at 14:45.
Old 2nd October 2020, 08:41   #174
BHPian

Compact SUV

Hi All

Hope everybody is keeping themselves and family safe.

I'm under a bit of dilemma as to which car to upgrade next. I currently own a 2011 Ford Figo TDCi and I adore it because of its handling even though there are so many drawback. I'm a bit of Ford biased because my previous car was Ikon 1.8D NXT. But things have changed with Ford, they are no longer making cars the way they should (new Figo and Aspire). And with their Joint Venture with Mahindra. I'm not sure what to expect.

I'm looking for a compact SUV not a full size one as there is a plan to buy a pre-own Innova Crysta 8 seater for those long long drives. I'm not into sedan or hatchbacks anymore (although I love to get one), my parents are getting old and they cannot get in or out in a low riding car. Hence the move to compact SUV. Its will be my daily driver and an average of 70Kms a day.

My requirements:
1. Best ride and handling (compared to my dear Figo)
2. Diesel
3. No Automatic

My considerations: That is all the cars available with Diesel
1. Tata Nexon
2. Kia Sonet
3. Ford Ecosport
4. Hyundai Venue
5. Mahindra XUV300

I have not seen any polls on aspects of a car before, so if Mods can help put in a few polls that might help everybody. May be 2 sets of polls for Petrol and Diesel.
Poll 1: Interior Quality -Material quality, overall fit and finish
Poll 2: Seating Comfort - Space for tall people (I'm 6.2) and comfort level for 3 people in the rear bench
Poll 3: Ride and Handling - Steering feedback, driving dynamics, body roll, highway stability, etc.,
Poll 4: Safety - Crash test rating, Airbags, TCS, ESP, ABS, EBD, etc.,
Poll 5: Features - Sunroof, cruise control, music system, rear AC, 60:40 Slit seats, etc.,
Poll 6: Future Proof - After sales service, reliability, repair costs, etc.,
Poll 7: Design - Exterior and Interior Design

I'm not able to rely on all journal or YouTube reviews since most of them are biased to one car or company, so I rely on people here. With corona, I'm unable to go out and test drive all the cars and it makes it harder with no dealers close to my native (few over 50Kms away, rest over 100).

I'm pretty sure Ecosport might top the charts on most or atleast in a few polls. It certainly ticks all that I need from a car, but with ford, I'm not sure about the future and I believe there is an Ecosport replacement in the works under Mahindra-Ford JV.

Thank you in advance

PS: Mods, please help with multiple polls. If it can be modified to provide ratings against each car for each poll that works even better.
Old 2nd October 2020, 09:01   #175
BHPian

Re: Compact SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramharis View Post
Hi All
With your high usage Diesel is the right direction. I'm using a Diesel Nexon AMT since more than 2 years and am quite happy with my decision.

Do mention your budget, to get a better idea.

TD all you have shortlisted with family and then decide.

All the best.
Vinod_nair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2020, 09:15   #176
Distinguished - BHPian

Well.
Guess you already know the answer.
Ecosport

Except for the fact that it is due for replacement soon, and the Mahindra-Ford JV doubts.

Ford already has 2-3 products lined up and they are not going anywhere I guess. AFAIK, Ford's A.S.S will continue to be independent.
An XUV500 brother and a Creta rival are coming. Next gen Ecosport is still on test in Brazil and it will be a couple of years before it reaches India.
The Ecosport in India is going to be updated/facelifted with the Mahindra 1.2 turbo petrol, so safe to say the present Ecosport will stay around for ~2 years atleast.
Below are my impressions on the segment choices, barring Hyundai/Kia, based on TDs done a couple of weeks ago.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-...ml#post4890584 (Mahindra XUV300 vs the competition)

The only real problems I had with the Ecosport was the A pillar visibility issues and compared to newer models like the Nexon/XUV300, the clutch was old school medium hard.

Reviews would say the rear seats are average, but I felt they were pretty comfortable and supportive. Pretty high set too, cancelling out the average rear legroom.
But it is pretty narrow widthwise, the XUV300 being the widest in the segment I feel.

Pretty uncertain times to do a TD, but if you are serious for an immediate purchase, book a home TD through the company website.
Though have to say, only Skoda and Maruti gave us hand sanitizers and wiped down the steering, gearlever.
Rest didn't, though every SA strictly wore a face mask

My 2 paisa, to confuse you further.
"If wishes were horses. The bodyshape, engine, drivetrain and tuning from XUV300. The overall quality, interiors, seats and steering feel from Ecosport. The body quality, space and suspension tuning from Nexon in a friendly package of the Brezza.
Bonus? A.S.S from Toyota"

Last edited by DicKy : 2nd October 2020 at 09:20.
DicKy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2020, 11:17   #177
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I'm not able to rely on all journal or YouTube reviews since most of them are biased to one car or company, so I rely on people here.
Good luck to you if you believe people here are unbiased!

Each and everyone of us here, myself included, has our own biases, likes and dislikes, both rational and utterly irrational.

The only saving grace is that all those biases may end up cancelling each other. Or they may not.

Quote:

I'm pretty sure Ecosport might top the charts on most or atleast in a few polls. It certainly ticks all that I need from a car, but with ford, I'm not sure about the future and I believe there is an Ecosport replacement in the works under Mahindra-Ford JV.
If you like EcoSport the most among all the cars you've listed and love the characteristics of your Figo, then that would be the best choice for you.

Don't let rumours about Ford's exit from India deter you. They're not going anywhere, although they've handed the steering wheel to Mahindra and have chosen to ride along.

Last edited by RSR : 2nd October 2020 at 11:19.
Old 2nd October 2020, 11:18   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinod_nair View Post
With your high usage Diesel is the right direction. I'm using a Diesel Nexon AMT since more than 2 years and am quite happy with my decision.

Do mention your budget, to get a better idea.

TD all you have shortlisted with family and then decide.

All the best.
I quite like the Nexon without the automatic. And looking at XZ+ (O) or XZ+. No fixed budget, just not looking at the next segment because of the parking space constraint.

I do wish to do that, but quite scared of my little one because of corona.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Well.
Guess you already know the answer.
Ecosport

Except for the fact that it is due for replacement soon, and the Mahindra-Ford JV doubts.

My 2 paisa, to confuse you further.
"If wishes were horses. The bodyshape, engine, drivetrain and tuning from XUV300. The overall quality, interiors, seats and steering feel from Ecosport. The body quality, space and suspension tuning from Nexon in a friendly package of the Brezza.
Bonus? A.S.S from Toyota"
Yes, Ecosport was my first choice before Nexon's facelift and the Mahindra JV. Since there is a replacement in the works, skipping Ecosport now. I had used a selfdrive Ecosport in Rajasthan trip for a week and clocked over 3000kms and loved it.

I like your 2p setup, but that is a dream which will never come true. But with current Mahindra-Ford JV,
1.Pininfarnia body design not designed after an animal
2.Steering, chassis, gearbox and suspension setup from ford
3.Engine and everything else from Mahindra should do the trick

I definitely don't like what toyota is doing with Glanza and Urban Cruiser. They should put their brains together to come up with a new car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
Good luck to you if you believe people here are unbiased!
Well I guess everybody is, my bias is against Hyundai and definitely against Maruti.

Most of the polls here all pick ecosport over all others but thats only the case on paper, when it comes to owning one people choose the least chosen.

Last edited by Aditya : 2nd October 2020 at 21:18. Reason: Back to back posts merged
ramharis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2020, 23:57   #179
S2K
BHPian

Writing first time for advice on first car

Hi BHPians,

I've been following the forum for past few years but very seriously since the start of 2020. The reason being the decision to buy my individual car. Have been thinking about it a lot, have been going through the forum a lot but still not able to make a confident decision and hope this thread helps me in understanding some missed points.
I am a 26 year old guy working in software based in Mumbai. Have been living with family for so many years but due to dad's job, my parents had to move to a different place. Thats when the need for car struck me. We have a 2017 Baleno RS which is our only car used mostly by dad and when I need it, I take it for a spin, but since its his car from work(company licensed), I am not at liberty to use the car on long trips outside by myself.
With their recent shift to new place, I am without any vehicle.
Another recent change is getting into a committed relationship with a wonderful person. And she, very much like me, enjoys going out on short trips to nearby forts, hills and riversides (don't mistake this for offroading. Going to the nearby village and then walking few KMs is something we would prefer).
So apart from the daily commute, short weekend trips to some serene nearby places and periodic visits to parents/grandparents (one way drive of 150-200KMs. Mumbai-Pune-Nasik), I believe I will also be using the car for less frequent long trips(Mumbai-Goa, Mumbai-Daman). The long drive use case is not of primary importance to me.
When I started my search (Dec-19), I was very much fixated on the Ignis but soon jumped to the sub compact SUV segment. But before I could take any decision, the pandemic struck and my plans froze.
Now even though my job isn't affected and I am confident about my career, some some personal finance related exposure later, I am confused between buying a used car and getting a new one.
I have a comfortable budget of 12L on-road, Mumbai and can stretch a bit. I say comfortable because, I can easily stretch above it to get a better variant and also have enough money left with me without getting anxiety about backup money.

Along with the earlier mentioned use cases, I am also factoring some major changes happening in personal domain in the near/not-so-near future like marriage in next 2 years and children a few years after that.

My priorities are safety, comfort, predictable cost of ownership and, to some extent, performance - for occasional times of driving pleasure.

With all these factors in mind, If I buy a new car, I am going after the sub CSUV segment and I am probably gonna keep that car for next 6-7 years atleast.
If I buy a used one, I plan to buy a hatchback under 4-5Lakhs and then buy upgrade few years down the line, when more space becomes a mandatory requirement. This way I save the money now, let it grow however much it does and use it later.

For new vehicles, my candidates are Nexon XZ, Rapid Rider Plus, Venue SX, and Sonet HTX in that order of preference since Nexon is good with safety and overall package of features and Sonet compromises on few important things like seating comfort and some active driving safety features. I am definitely not being amused by the sunroofs, and large touchscreens. Rapid Rider Plus scores high on performance, build and is probably safe too, but the cost of ownership is something I am not confident about.

For a used car, my candidates are Tiago XZ/XZA and Figo Titanium(O) in that order of preference.

I am not able to bring myself around to make a confident decision on new vs used car issue and would like some advice for it.
Should I go for new or a used car?
And are there better models to be considered in the selected segments?
Also should I buy it during the upcoming festival season or during the year end sale season?

Please advise.

Thanks in advance and stay safe.
S2K is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 06:30   #180
Senior - BHPian

Re: Writing first time for advice on first car

Welcome to the forum S2K. I hope you have a pleasant stay. Looking forward to reading your TLs once you get a new set of wheels.

Firstly, having a thread on this sub-forum can help you get a lot of answers. More views = more answers.
Also, be sure to include factors like:
1. Fuel type preference
2. Transmission Preference
3. Estimated Annual Mileage and City:Highway split
4. Space requirements
...and any other specific requirement(s)

Secondly, good move on being open to used cars as you can save a ton of $$$. I don't want to make this a "What-car" thread, but from the frugal i20 diesel to the explosive S-Cross diesel, you do have a lot of options when you're open to both new and used cars. Also, go through these threads for some solid advice on how to buy a used car:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buyin...-used-car.html (ARTICLE: Buying a New Car vs Used Car)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buyin...wned-cars.html (The 'not-so-obvious' advantages to buying pre-owned cars)

Pick a good car, get it inspected, and then enjoy!

Cheers and good luck!

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 5th October 2020 at 06:32.
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks