Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you buy the Maruti XL6 over the Ertiga?
Yes 141 35.88%
No 223 56.74%
Other (please specify in your post) 29 7.38%
Voters: 393. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2019, 20:16   #31
BHPian

Re: Would you buy the Maruti XL6 over the Ertiga?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
[b]

But if I want to move 5 adults in more comfort, or 5 adults with luggage, the bench-seat Ertiga would be a better option.

Don't get me wrong, I love captain seats and think they offer terrific comfort. But just to suit different purposes, Maruti should have given both seat options (bench + captain) on the XL6. If that was the case, the XL6 would get my unconditional vote.
That is why the MM Mararzo becomes my choice followed with the lodgy
Old 23rd October 2019, 23:18   #32
Senior - BHPian

Ertiga's interior might be the main reason I would go for XL6, captain seats are nice too

1.5 Diesel with auto option on the XL6 would have been sweet.
Old 23rd October 2019, 23:29   #33
BHPian

The looks of the XL6 are more butch compared to the Ertiga except the puny tyres. I would prefer the XL6 with a 2nd row of Bench seats. Black interiors definitely more classy than the beige one. Also a better Automatic transmission than the 4 speed offered currently and 6 Airbags. I guess I am wishing a bit too much.
Old 24th October 2019, 00:23   #34
BHPian

Voted NO, doesn't make sense to me in any case!

XL6 reminds me of i20 Active which launched few years back, as GTO said - It's a TATKAL ticket for the people who wanted the car immediately (Back then i20 had a waiting period of 3-6 months) or someone who wants some exclusivity over the regular ertiga which is favourite of cabbies. We have an active in extended family and although there are no issues with it, it always reminds us that we should have gone with Creta or regular i20. XL6 will give the same feeling after the novelty wears off.
Also I think they should have given the option of bench seats, this is a people mover and there are better 4 seater cars available in the market.
PS: Is Maruti really kidding us with just 2 airbags, those tyres and calling it a premium offering?
turbowhistle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2019, 05:30   #35
Senior - BHPian

A friend made an unofficial pre-booking for the XL6. He took his parents for a test drive 2 weeks later and 2 seats in the middle was alien to his parents. Needless to say, he's now waiting for his Ertiga AT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Maruti should have given both seat options (bench + captain) on the XL6. If that was the case, the XL6 would get my unconditional vote.
Maruti wants to keep the product very exclusive to a select group of owners. A lot of people would pick the car up if it had a bench in the middle row. 2 seats in the middle row is a concept that is alien in India.

Also, most buyers want maximum bang for their buck.
Old 24th October 2019, 16:29   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

I voted "NO". Ertiga makes far more practical sense over the XL6. Also - the XL6 is horribly failing in hiding its Ertiga donor car. Everyone knows its an Ertiga. So buying an XL6 doesn't bring a real "premium exclusivity" as such. If it had curtain airbags - heck even just sun-shade curtains for the middle row, I'd perhaps have voted for the XL6. 100 Rs. Sun shades. Maruti - please!
Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Maruti wants to keep the product very exclusive to a select group of owners.
And what benefit would that bring to Maruti? MSIL is a volume player. I don't see it trying to "limit" sales. If it wants to keep it a private car, they can simply not get a registration permit for yellow plate. That way the car can't be registered for cabs. Simple.
Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Also, most buyers want maximum bang for their buck.
Everyone wants maximum bang for the buck! Just that the bang for one, can be a dud for a different person. Just a matter of perspective.
Reinhard is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2019, 16:40   #37
Senior - BHPian

I've answered NO, I'd rather get the Ertiga 1.5 top trim diesel when it is available. XL 6 doesn't look good and middle row captain seats makes it less spacious, if a bench can be ordered instead of captain seats it would be good. Having no diesel option is a big negative for a MUV. It would be better to wait for the Triber with a turbo petrol option and save a lot of money than buy the XL6.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 24th October 2019 at 16:41.
Old 24th October 2019, 17:59   #38
BHPian

Voted for Other. I would buy XL6 if it provides seven seat arrangement
Old 24th October 2019, 21:55   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
And what benefit would that bring to Maruti?
Maruti doesn't need big volumes so justify the introduction of the XL6 as the investment to design this particular new model is not much. The Ertiga is bringing enough volumes to Suzuki. So, I guess I'm not completely wrong in assuming MSIL wants the car to be exclusive on the lines of a limited edition.
2 kinds of people will be the majority who buy the XL6:
1. Someone needs a large car urgently and the XL6 has lesser waiting period than Ertiga
2. People who are really impressed with the car and don't mind the compromise of the middle row
Quote:
Everyone wants maximum bang for the buck!
If you compare Ertiga vs Innova for captain seats in the middle, many would pick Innova but only a few would pick the Ertiga. That's all I meant.
Try the social experiment if you've the free time.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 24th October 2019 at 21:57.
Old 25th October 2019, 12:24   #40
BHPian

Voted No.

The only plus to my eyes for the XL6 over the Ertiga , is the all black interior. Captain setas though high on novelty, are impractical at the end of the day.

Apart from that, I think with the puny tires and a rear-end identical to the Ertiga, Suzuki missed by far what they were shooting for i. e. to pass this off as an SUV. This makes the XL6 a pointless exercise, and an expensive one at that.

I honestly think they would have been better off just providing the captain seats and the all black interior as a variant to the Ertiga, just like how Honda had done with the Jazz.
Romeo_Mike is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2019, 01:34   #41
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
I would buy the XL6 in a heartbeat, but only if it offered an option of a middle bench and a better automatic gearbox.
+1 to that. I already have the Entiga and I can't seem to find any reason to not have that bench at the rear, which makes it a very very comfortable car for 4 adults and a kid (I removed the third row).

A good auto is a must too, Maruti is losing the game in larger engines and automatic gearboxes.
SLK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2019, 12:39   #42
BHPian

Voted and Booked the XL6.
Needed a vehicle for my office usage mostly commuting our architects and site engineers to different sites in the city. Usually the number of people travelling vary between 3 and 5 so the XL6 is exactly what we are looking for.
Love the captain seats. It makes the whole cabin feel a segment higher and more premium.
Waiting time for the nexa blue is 6 weeks.
Might change the tires. Need your opinion on it.
BoeingDriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2019, 08:02   #43
BHPian

I voted for XL6 and in fact already bought one last month. I have one difference of opinion on GTO's comment on last row. Will combine that in the points below :-

1) LAST ROW is a WOW in XL6 (I know many of you might not agree but here are the points for it)

a) I am coming from a 2013 Ertiga and used it for 4.5 yrs before moving to a couple of cars including Altis and XUV500. The problem in previous gen Ertiga was the width of the car. Come XL6, boom - you have width now. It is a comfortable place to accomodate 2 full grown adults now. Period.

b) Feeling - With 2nd row captain, you feel so much more comfortable in the third row. No claustrophobic feeling like say in an XUV500 or a Fortuner. And don't forget there is that gap to extend one of your legs atleast You might laugh off, but try for yourself once.

c) Some of my family members have 'competed' to sit in third row for long drives. It give a cozy feel with side hand rest and cup holders.

d) Now coming to GTOs comment - Avg height of an Indian is 5' 6" and so is my family's height range. Anybody around about that range, 3rd row is absolutely chill. If you consider anyone above 5'8-9" yeh may be 3rd row feels good only for kids. But strictly it is an unfair statement. Take my word, 3rd row is a no complaint seat even for long drives and I have done it multiple time already with 'comfort'.

e) Ingress and egress is a bit tough unlike a Fortuner where the seat tumbles (Wierd comparison but my bro has a new gen Fortuner). But since XL6 is not so high it compensates ingress difficulties.

2) 2nd ROW - World of Comfort
People who travelled in my XL6 middle row have compared it to Crysta. And it adds to the 'feel' due to the humungous glass area. Captains hug your body and keep you in the position unlike bench seats which tosses you on either sides even with seat belts.

3) Leather Seats
Be it any car, factory fitted leather seats are definitely a level ahead. It feels so good to travel in all seats. With the seat belts on, you are properly set into the seat and there you go. You will miss this in Ertiga! And the overall feel good about XL6 for me is mainly due to the Leather seats. Its quality is nowhere near the leather of say a Corolla Altis but still gives a good feel and doesn't sweat in heat either (which are otherwise typical of faux leathers).

4) Missing Diesel (who?)
In Bangalore hardly 6-7rs difference between Petrol and Diesel. It is close to impossible to break even buying a Diesel vehicle these days, yeh but people still buy though. Petrol is fetching me 18-20kmpl mileage on highway with sedate driving in my Automatic XL6 and minimum 16.5 with aggressive driving. Does anyone need anything more? Torque factor, yeh Diesel is always king. But people who appreciate smoothness over torque would love XL6

5) Features
No disagreement that 6 airbags and automatic dimming mirrors etc are missed. That would have definitely added value. But then they had to put everything inside 14.5 lacs onroad Blr, or otherwise end up competing with say an XUV500 pricing. Cruise control is a welcome addition though in XL6 and ESP and Tracton Control as well for the AT box.

NOTE: The above points are for people who are in serious confusion between Ertiga and XL6. Hope this helps.
sam_sant2005 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 16th November 2019, 12:54   #44
BHPian

Will not consider either. Primarily due to the below two issues -

1. Poor safety performance of Heartect platform (I am not even talking about 6 airbags)
2. Poor NVH levels

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks