Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you buy the Maruti XL6 over the Ertiga?
Yes 141 35.88%
No 223 56.74%
Other (please specify in your post) 29 7.38%
Voters: 393. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2019, 15:04   #1
Team-BHP Support

Would you buy the Maruti XL6 over the Ertiga?

Would you buy the Maruti XL6 over the Ertiga?-xl6.png

Maruti XL6

What you'll like:

• A 6-seater MPV at the price of C segment sedans & some compact SUVs
• Maintains value proposition of the Ertiga, with a fair premium for the added features
• Comfortable captain seats & spacious cabin. Fantastic car for the chauffeur-driven
• A competent BS6 petrol; convenient automatic available as an option
• Car-like to drive and city-friendly size
• Features such as that sweet head-unit, LED auto-headlamps, cruise control & more
• Maruti’s excellent after-sales service, wide dealer network & fuss-free ownership experience

What you won't:

• That lovely 1.5L diesel isn’t offered on the XL6 (available in the Ertiga)
• Captain seat layout means just 2 people on the middle row
• Build, quality & refinement are ordinary for a million-rupee car. Not a “premium” Ertiga
• 4-speed Automatic gearbox feels old & outdated
• 3rd-row isn't for everyone as the 2nd-row doesn't tumble forward, making ingress / egress tricky
• Some missing features such as side airbags, auto-dimming IRVM, auto wipers etc.

Maruti Ertiga

What you'll like:

• A 7-seater MPV at the price of a C segment sedan. Sub 10-lakh petrol variants are well-priced
• Practical & spacious cabin, now with a usable 3rd row & larger boot
• A peppy petrol, efficient diesel & convenient automatic on offer = take your pick
• Car-like to drive and city-friendly size (unlike most other 7-seater MPVs)
• Features such as that sweet head-unit, projector headlamps, cooled cup-holders & more
• Dual airbags, ABS + EBD, Isofix anchors & parking sensors are standard. Automatic gets ESP too
• Maruti’s excellent after-sales service, wide dealer network & fuss-free ownership experience

What you won't:

• Build, quality & refinement are strictly average for a million-rupee car
• Diesel carries a whopping Rs ~1.9 lakh OTR premium over the petrol
• Not an enthusiast’s choice of diesel engine. “Tame” instead of aggressive
• 3rd-row isn't for everyone as the 2nd-row doesn't tumble forward, making ingress / egress tricky
• 4-speed Automatic feels old & outdated. Not available in the top variant either
• Some missing features such as an auto-dimming IRVM and auto headlamps + wipers (expected at this price)
• Waiting periods are already 3 months long for most variants

The 1.5L Diesel:

Link to 1.5L DDiS 225 review

Last edited by GTO : 22nd October 2019 at 08:10.
Aditya is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2019, 08:17   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Would you buy the Maruti XL6 over the Ertiga?

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the MUV Section. Thanks for sharing!

That the XL6 offers good value over the Ertiga, there is no doubt. However, I have voted for the "Other" option in the poll. Here's why.

The XL6 is only sold with captain seats. Now, I consider the last row of these MPVs to be a "+ 2" for kids or short adults, not for everyone (I absolutely refuse to sit out there). Thus, for all practical purposes, it's a 4-seater with space for 2 "extras". That will suit the chauffeur-driven, a couple with 2 kids or smaller families. It would be my choice under these circumstances.

But if I want to move 5 adults in more comfort, or 5 adults with luggage, the bench-seat Ertiga would be a better option.

Don't get me wrong, I love captain seats and think they offer terrific comfort. But just to suit different purposes, Maruti should have given both seat options (bench + captain) on the XL6. If that was the case, the XL6 would get my unconditional vote.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd October 2019 at 08:29.
GTO is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2019, 08:29   #3
Senior - BHPian

I have voted for the Ertiga as I don't find any value in the below additions:
- Captain seats : Reduces flexibility, as GTO already mentioned below.
- Body Cladding : Looks hideous to say the least. Looks horribly under-tyred with these.
- Black Interiors : I personally prefer lighter colors. Appears more spacious in beige.
- The Name : How hard is it to come up with a proper name? XL6? Is it a 6 tonne pickup?
- Leather Seats : The quality of leather is not good. It's better to have good quality fabric seats, rather than have bad quality leather.

Had the xl6 come with the below additions, it would have tilted the scales opposite way.
- larger wheels (overall Diameter, not just the rims)
- under-body protection
abhishek46 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2019, 08:40   #4
Team-BHP Support

I would buy the XL6 in a heartbeat, but only if it offered an option of a middle bench and a better automatic gearbox.
Eddy is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2019, 08:44   #5
Senior - BHPian

The utility of a bench seat outshines the comfort of captain seats, especially for those travelling frequently with family.

Further, given the lack of necessary refinement with things like average sound insulation, average steering response at highway speeds, average ride quality, it doesn't make me think that the XL6 is a leap ahead with maturity as a product.

Infact given the price bump, IMHO it's a missed opportunity for Maruti wherein they could've addressed refinement levels & product (interior trims) quality improvements compared to the present Ertiga.

I would NOT agree that the Ertiga XL6 scores high on the value for money.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 22nd October 2019 at 08:46.
GrammarNazi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2019, 08:53   #6
BHPian

I would rather buy the Ertiga as in my opinion it simply looks better than the XL6. Furthermore, 5 seats would be used most of the time and I think it might be better for all 3 to sit in the middle row then have someone crammed in the third row.
fastturtle10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2019, 09:16   #7
BHPian

I think one of the primary reasons for choosing this class of vehicles is to carry more people and so the XL6 fails in that aspect in my POV.

Other reasons such as high seating positions, big car feel, Maruthi Suzuki reliability are all fulfilled by Ertiga as well.

The side cladding and wheel arch cladding are going to be a headache to maintain in the long run, as they will start losing their black finish in years to come. That's a minor but a significant point for someone who likes to keep their cars exterior in the best condition.

Looks ? The new Ertiga looks great as well. If it's a choice between the old Ertiga and XL6, then maybe XL6 would've gotten a stronger chance. But new Ertiga doesn't make the choice easy.

With this statement, I might be inviting trouble, but I personally feel the light coloured carpeting in the Ertiga does make the car feel airy and spacious. Yes, they are relatively difficult to maintain, but black coloured carpets aren't easy to maintain either. My opinion goes the same with interior plastics. In the long run, black coloured plastics might fade, or will shine way too much upon application of a dressing coating, which isn't to my taste. So here too, my vote goes with Ertiga.

Lastly, the hearts of both the cars are same. So I'd go ahead with the Ertiga, save the bucks, use them for minor yet significant upgrades and future maintenance.
saisailendra is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2019, 09:52   #8
BHPian

Voted for Others.
I am not in the market for a family MUV for now. But If I am, I would be definitely looking at a petrol one and the one that immediately comes to my mind is the new kid on the block Triber. With design, practicality, real world engine performance for a small-medium family and most important of all -VFM, for all these points, Renault has given us an amazing car. I hope common public realize this and accept Triber. It deserves to be a blockbuster.

PS: Of course, I would wait for the turbo version, AMT(they ideally should be getting CVT since inferior Nissan Go+ recently got one) and the most important crash test results.
RaghuVis is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2019, 09:53   #9
Senior - BHPian

Not at all.

We just bought Ertiga VXI (delivered on 2nd Oct). The XL6 was launched when we were waiting for our Ertiga delivery. We personally visited Nexa to have a look at XL6 and to decide that should we buy XL6 over Ertiga(?).

After spending half an hour with XL6, our decision to stick with Eritga was made. MSIL wants to present XL6 as a premium product. With black interior, buckets seats in the second row and cruise control its a better product but it was not able to serve our requirement of a 7-seater. IMHO, Ertiga is VFM and XL6 is not.

We got our Ertiga VXI and we are happy with our decision.

Would you buy the Maruti XL6 over the Ertiga?-20191002_174547.jpg

+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by saisailendra View Post
I think one of the primary reasons for choosing this class of vehicles is to carry more people and so the XL6 fails in that aspect in my POV.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 23rd May 2020 at 19:07. Reason: Minor typo. Thanks.
SJM1214 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2019, 10:03   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

• The buyers are now getting extremely cautious about the fuel type - More inclined towards Petrol than Diesel due to closing gap of fuel prices and also the future of Diesel vehicles, the apprehensions about the ban et al

• Apart from this, by looks, the XL6 scores over the Ertiga for whatsoever cosmetic makeover it has got and an average buyer who need to be categorically distinguished from an enthusiast here will find solace with all the bells and whistles that the XL6 gets over the Ertiga. The salesperson at that Nexa outlet would also sing along with these thoughts to sell the XL6 over Ertiga

• Cruise Control is a big miss in the Ertiga as a people mover and I had mentioned that when I wrote a short review. The XL6 has it and let us admit that Cruise Control is damn useful even in our country on many roads!!

• Captain seats over bench seats will certainly give one that fake pride that it apes one of the most popular MPVs in the market today. Apart from that, the comfort in the Captain seats is better over bench seats. The ride of the Ertiga is sorted if not the best and on a regular highway, passengers won't complain at all. It has never thrown the passengers up and down or sideways

• In the recent past, I have had folks who have had a look at the Ertiga and then the XL6 and ultimately made a purchase decision with the XL6

• Black interiors definitely look good than the beige and as someone who has the first Gen Ertiga with all beige interiors, I would love the all black interiors because beige is now turning out to be utter boring for me (I won't mind keeping it clean but black is back)

• When making a purchasing decision between the Ertiga and the XL6, apart from the fuel factor, what I have asked buyers around me is how much of their drives will require 7 seats versus 6? If the answer is "occasionally" or "very rarely", I would simply ask them to look at the XL6. The extra you pay or this over Ertiga Petrol justifiable even when sold through a regular dealer and not necessarily the premium Nexa

• Sound Insulation from external agencies like road & wind, Engine noise intrusion apart, when driving on a highway at cruising speeds, the passengers won't get a hint unless a power horn of that multi axle truck knocks your windscreen when you pass next to it. So honestly, the insulation factor may not really bother to many if this is seen as a decision factor. Further, the Petrol is way refined when compared to the now refined 1.5 Diesel also

Personally, I would vote for the XL6 for all the above reasons.
paragsachania is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2019, 10:09   #11
Team-BHP Support

Voted for others.

Before reviewing the XL6 - I had taken a good test drive of the Ertiga 1.5 diesel and was very impressed with it. However, there is no doubt that the XL6 felt more like a 'personal car' to me in every other aspect. Black interiors anytime over brownish beige, good LED lights, slightly better (personal remark) looks, etc. Between only both of these choices - I would pick the XL6.

That said - I would have voted for a solid YES if the XL6 had come with the option of 6 airbags, even if it were an optional extra over the current top-end trim. That would have absolutely nailed the product positioning of the XL6 as a premium MPV in the MSIL lineup. Without it, and the missing diesel option - I might as well pay a premium over the XL6 and pick up the more competent Marazzo instead if I absolutely require an MPV.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 22nd October 2019 at 10:12.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2019, 10:14   #12
BHPian

I really love the Ertiga for reasons why everyone loves it - VFM. Why will I not buy XL6 ?

1) Why pay premium for something which is exactly not premium
2) Those wheel Arches are an eye sore
3) If I want a better car, I will go for Marazzo which is way better Ertiga/ XL6 and that lovely 1.5 Litre Diesel engine

Last edited by navin : 23rd October 2019 at 12:43. Reason: typo
Sk8r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2019, 10:19   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the MUV Section. Thanks for sharing!

That the XL6 offers good value over the Ertiga, there is no doubt. However, I have voted for the "Other" option in the poll. Here's why.

The XL6 is only sold with captain seats. Now, I consider the last row of these MPVs to be a "+ 2" for kids or short adults, not for everyone (I absolutely refuse to sit out there). Thus, for all practical purposes, it's a 4-seater with space for 2 "extras". That will suit the chauffeur-driven, a couple with 2 kids or smaller families. It would be my choice under these circumstances.

But if I want to move 5 adults in more comfort, or 5 adults with luggage, the bench-seat Ertiga would be a better option.

Don't get me wrong, I love captain seats and think they offer terrific comfort. But just to suit different purposes, Maruti should have given both seat options (bench + captain) on the XL6. If that was the case, the XL6 would get my unconditional vote.
Exactly my grouse with the XL6. If somehow I can retrofit the 60:40 Bench Middle Seat of the Ertiga in the XL6, it would be my choice from between these 2.

The 40:20:40 Split Arrangement of the Ertiga 6 Seater concept showcased in Indonesia was a more practical approach so that it can be used as a 6 seater and 7 seater as and when required.

Seen the XL6 in person at night driving in front of me, and the LED Guide Lights at the rear look sexy, also the throw of LED Headlamps was good on the road. I love the way it looks, and the added practicality of having Cruise Control and Leather Seats and Body Cladding etc. It surely looks more better in regards to features list rather than the plain jane Ertiga.

Last edited by AdityaDeane : 22nd October 2019 at 10:21.
AdityaDeane is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2019, 11:11   #14
Senior - BHPian

If flat bench was so much superior over captain seats, then 6 seater versions of Innova, Marrazzo etc would never sell.

For a 4 people family, XL6 with its added goodies of LED lights and cruise control makes most sense. I would definitely buy XL6 over Ertiga. For people mover requirement, of course the Ertiga is best VFM in this segment.
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2019, 12:07   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted for the XL6 over Ertiga simply because the latter is too common in the Taxi segment. Also for most people who are chauffeured around, the XL6 makes more sense than a sedan and costs less too while offering a lot of versatility in terms of seating and luggage options.

However I do feel that Maruti should have offered the car with both seat configurations as the bench type seat would have been more practical choice for most people. On the other hand buyers only had the option of Innova when it came to captain type seats and the XL6 would cater to this segment. Initial sales show that it has been accepted well.
drmohitg is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks