Team-BHP - Proper 4x4 5-seater SUV and a daily driver?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-muvs-4x4s/)
-   -   Proper 4x4 5-seater SUV and a daily driver? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-muvs-4x4s/215307-proper-4x4-5-seater-suv-daily-driver.html)

I don't think there is a car that satisfies these criteria in India but I'm wondering what the closest alternative is. A friend is looking for a five seater SUV which can do proper offroading without a completely compromised daily experience? Basically, a smaller version of the Fortuner/Endeavour.

It must have
1) Body on frame construction
2) A low range box

It must also be reasonably comfortable on the road and a lot smaller than the seven seater behemoths so parking/city driving is easy. Anything under 30L will do.

The ideal car would be something like a G350d but this is obviously way over budget. Candidates like the Thar and Gurkha are great off road but are terrible on the road. And side facing rear seats are a big no-no. Most soft roaders like the Compass, Tiguan, Tucson etc. cannot be used for proper offroading. The Duster comes the closest but is ultimately a soft-roader. Is there a small footprint car that is fantastic off-road and decent on road in India?

Quote:

Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez (Post 4688485)
Most soft roaders like the Compass, Tiguan, Tucson etc. cannot be used for proper offroading.

Compass Trailhawk is not really a softroader like the other 2 cars you have mentioned. It should be as capable as Thar off-road, except may be for the ground clearance and the water wading depth. This seems to be the only SUV which comes close to meeting your requirements.
I am sure you have already gone though Samurai's thread on the Trailhawk.

He should wait for the 2020 Thar, have seen multiple test mules, this version will be matured enough on-road and still retain original Thar's rugged construction. Case closed lol:

There are actually a couple of fairly decent options which will keep your friend happy on the road, and off it.

- Compass Trailhawk. Mad price is the only disadvantage, although discounting should already have begun. Can also consider the regular Compass 4x4.

- Duster AWD. Best suspension on the road, surprisingly competent offroad (for a crossover).

- Next-generation Thar looks promising.

- Will a Hexa also do? It's well-priced and has AWD. There's the XUV500 AWD too (next-gen version coming next year).

Interesting replies.

Hexa first - it's too big for city use. Same problem as the Fortuner and Endeavour. Next gen Thar is indeed a candidate and a similarly interesting candidate is the next gen Scorpio. Even the current Scorpio (though a seven seater) has a much more manageable footprint.

The Duster and the Trailhawk are probably the best options so far, but I imagine a Foruner or Endy will still run rings around them off road. Between the Duster and proper (i.e. ladder frame plus low range box equipped) 4x4s like the current Scorpio, which one do you think is better off road?

Only the Isuzu MU-X matches your criteria I guess.

5 seater - check.
Proper ladder frame + 4x4 - check.

Quote:

Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez (Post 4689026)
Between the Duster and proper (i.e. ladder frame plus low range box equipped) 4x4s like the current Scorpio, which one do you think is better off road?

Scorpio has a low range GB and that can not be compensated for. You can also fit a MLD in a Scorpio [which will be another big advantage], but, the suspension is bouncy and it raises its front dangerously.

I honestly think, you can't have both if you are not getting a Fortuner/Endeavor and even a stock Fortuner/Endeavor will be a compromise if you are seriously going to do OTR's.

Trailhawk is one good option, but space offered isn't much to be honest and I am yet to see how it will fare against the Duster in a similar obstacle.

Overlanding on any of the stock SUV's will be a compromise, you will have to modify the current rides, touring, I think, Hexa 4X4, Storme 4X4, Trailhawk will be great options.

How I wish, the Pajero SFX was still available today in a modern avatar.

You may watch .anshuman's YouTube videos to see how a Duster fares against proper 4WD's.

The only true 5 seater which can do all you mention is the V-Cross, just that, I personally am not a fan of cab type models or whatever one may call it.

I'd recommend the Compass Trailhawk as it was designed for off-roading but still can be used as a daily driver.

I would recommend the Isuzu D-max V-Cross. It is a really mod friendly capable 4x4 vehicle and I have seen some really nicely customized versions here in Gurgaon. In around 20L (ex-showroom) you get the Top version and then spend some 5L to customize it to your heart's liking and then save some 5L ;-). Though in terms of size it is really long!
Surprisingly Isuzu is one company which is encouraging its customer to customize their vehicles and doesn't Void the warranty (only the modified parts are not covered in warranty, rest is still valid)

Regarding the recommendation, i do not have anything extra to add on. The above comments have said it all.

What i will say is, how about two cars?

A Thar or a V-cross for his hardcore off-roading & a comfortable sedan like the City/Ciaz or a hot hatch like the Polo GT TSI, for his daily drive! Both can be accommodated easily under 30 L!

Like most of the others have mentioned, my suggestion would be to wait for the next generation Thar. It has been completely redesigned ground up.
Also worth looking at is the Isuzu D-Max V Cross.

As Samba rightly mentioned, you could pick up a Ciaz for the city roundabouts.

Here's a video showing the difference between a Trailhawk and something like a Fortuner/Endy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2BfKgvMnJ0

Was expecting the total opposite. Trailhawk easily doing 4x4 stuff. How wrong i was about it. And i was thinking it probably justified its price lol:

It is a shame something like the Bolero or the TUV 300 Plus doesn't come in AWD, when it easily can. That would fit this need perfectly.

Maybe a used Maruti Gypsy?

Quote:

Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez (Post 4688485)
A friend is looking for a five seater SUV which can do proper offroading without a completely compromised daily experience

I guess the answer will largely depend on what your friend implies by "proper" off-roading! Until we get better clarity on that, it'll all be loose talk. Please elaborate.