Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which SUV would you choose?
MG Hector 36 7.78%
Hyundai Creta 13 2.81%
Kia Seltos 148 31.97%
Tata Harrier 95 20.52%
Jeep Compass 121 26.13%
Mahindra XUV500 22 4.75%
Other (please specify in your post) 28 6.05%
Voters: 463. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2019, 10:19   #46
BHPian

Re: MG Hector vs the competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0nit7 View Post
I have voted for the Compass because I would love to own one. But since the wallet dictates terms, I have booked a Seltos, since it's the best overall package - looks, price & features.
Same here, took delivery of Seltos about three weeks back but voted for Compass cause find it to be a complete package like safety, driving dynamics, handling, footprint etc, budget was only the constraint. Nonetheless quite satisfied with my decision.
S.MJet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2019, 12:21   #47
Senior - BHPian

If you are in the market for Creta, Seltos is better than Creta in all the aspects. However, IMHO If you are in the market for a well built spacious 5seater SUV, MG Hector makes more sense than any of the above options.

Hector is more spacious with a longer wheelbase which offers more boot space than any of the above cars. If I am in the market for a new SUV, my choice will be boiled down to Seltos, Hector and Harrier. Ultimately, Hector would be my last choice because it beats other cars in this segment with a good margin.

Voted for MG Hector.
SJM1214 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th November 2019, 20:49   #48
BHPian

Voted for XUV500 & Others (Hexa).

Reason -

1. I own one, purchased XUV 500 in 2018 and have done roughly 20000 kms till date.

2. There is actually nothing to rant against XUV 500 except lack of boot space. But then it was designed as a 7 seater from the begining and compared with boot spaces in 5 seaters (Hector, Compass, Creta, Seltos) ensures that it has equal or more boot space when the 3rd row seats are pulled down.

3. It is also high time we stop repeating that "Mahindra ASS is a hit or miss" or "Mahindra ASS remains a gamble". I have been experiencing MASS since last 1 year for nearly 20000 kms in my XUV and i have got better response in MASS than from Hyundai (Santro) or even Maruti (Zen, Swift Dzire). There are more horror stories out there with many premium & foreign manufacturers such as VW-Skoda, Renault-Nissan-Datsun, Toyota, Honda etc. but we will never ever make statements as above against them as we Indians like everything foreign. Even brand new Kia owners are reporting niggles, quality & service issues from the begining.

4. XUV has been here for past 8+ years now and has proved to be a big success inspite of its initial niggles ridden days. Indians would not have purchased this vehicle quite consistently for such as long time if they had not seen value in the same.

5. Mahindra has shown commitment to this product by bringing in regular updates. Service availability is pretty good.

6. XUV 500, inspite of its big size, is super easy to drive in cramped city roads & lanes. Further when on the highway there are few who can match its capabilities. I have taken this butch beast over many hundred kms of non-existent roads in farms, villages, rural areas, hills all without breaking a sweat.

The above are my personal views only and no offence meant to anyone.
SaurabhB is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th November 2019, 08:35   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
If you are in the market for Creta, Seltos is better than Creta in all the aspects. However, IMHO If you are in the market for a well built spacious 5seater SUV, MG Hector makes more sense than any of the above options.
Same for me. MG Hector for its sheer space and features. Looks and brand are totally acceptable. Waiting for 7 seater, and shall book on very first day, would replace my 10 years old Innova.

Last edited by Sheel : 28th November 2019 at 20:48. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Thanks.
abhi1881 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2019, 20:27   #50
Senior - BHPian

A comparison on petrol automatic of MG & Kia. The mileage figures of petrol kia DCT are a pleasant surprise.

Old 2nd September 2021, 12:18   #51
BHPian

Which Car : Harrier Vs Hector

I now have to make a decision for my dad on which car to buy. Top considerations for him
1. Diesel only, he does not prefer petrol
2. Space for 4 excluding driver
3. Mostly driver driven
4. Decent mileage (12+)
5. Very comfortable drive for long trips. He does 1 to 2 500 km trips a month - This is the most important of all
6. Manual only (he is not comfortable with auto if he needs to drive)
7. Very good boot space
8. Hard stop budget of 20L

Down to Harrier (XM) and Hector ( Super)

I love the Harrier looks but for almost the same price, Hector comes with better warranty, features and back seat comfort is far better on long rides.
Dad is also not too keen on Tata Cars. Until last year he was a "anything but TATA" person but now sort of ok with Harrier too.

Final decision is now down to me, I am leaning towards Hector but for 3 things
1. Long term ownership is unclear
2. Service outside of major cities (we have one in our place though)
3. the horrible (in my view) rear look (which we can live with)

Seltos is too stiff, Creta I don't see VFM and Compass is just out of budget.

Any advice is highly appreciated
srivibhu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 12:36   #52
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which Car : Harrier Vs Hector

How come you are not considering the 5 seater XUV700, it will definitely suit your needs to the T.
Out of the above listed options, my vote will be for Harrier over Hector.
akshay4587 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 12:38   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Between the two - Hector 6 seater, if its available in diesel.

XUV is around the corner, I`d rather wait.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 12:41   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
How come you are not considering the 5 seater XUV700, it will definitely suit your needs to the T.
Out of the above listed options, my vote will be for Harrier over Hector.
The XUV 700 is going to be my upgrade in the next 6 months so that's out of contention for him.
srivibhu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 13:01   #55
BHPian

My pick would be to go with the harrier.
It’s a tried and tested product now. Having said that you could even consider the safari XM variant ,may be could even stretch to the XT variant if you don’t mind shelling out a lakh extra. You get the advantage of the extra row of seats as well, with boot space compromised of course.
If not I would suggest the XM/XT variants of the Harrier for under 20 lakh.
I’m not a huge fan of the Hector because of its looks and road presence with an ugly rear end to go with it.
Also feel that the Harrier’s chassis is well mated to that engine-gearbox combo more so than the Hector.
You may get better features and goodies with the Hector but would suggest a thorough TD of both those vehicles before signing the cheque. Also take in to account of the service feedbacks of both these brands in your area.
Best of luck.
pradheepsr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 13:11   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradheepsr View Post
My pick would be to go with the harrier.
It’s a tried and tested product now. Having said that you could even consider the safari XM variant ,may be could even stretch to the XT variant if you don’t mind shelling out a lakh extra. You get the advantage of the extra row of seats as well, with boot space compromised of course.
If not I would suggest the XM/XT variants of the Harrier for under 20 lakh.

Best of luck.
Thank you. The 20L is a hard stop for me.
The only thing for me with Harrier XM is lack of rear view cam integration to the infotainment unit.
This is a big miss and looks like I need to get a separate display for this. This is quite important for my dad.
Old 2nd September 2021, 14:30   #57
Senior - BHPian

I found the rear seats of the Harrier to be much better than the ones in Hector.
The Hector's rear seats are placed a tad too low for my liking.

The Harrier also has a much better sorted ride & handling balance.

Lastly, there are a few areas in which MG has skimped on the basic things, which should be present on any SUV.
For e.g. just peep under the bonnet, there is absolutely no underbody protection for the engine & gearbox in the Hector.

Creature comforts can be added later.
However, the core values like ride, handling, build, seats etc. cant be added later.

You may also consider the XUV700.
I am sure there will be a mad rush for it, and you would probably have to wait endlessly for one.
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 15:04   #58
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Even though I generally avoid a Chinese product, in this case, I'd happily go with the Hector, enjoy those extra features and the better peace of mind. The Harrier is still plagued with niggles whereas you don't hear about niggles too often in the case of the Hector.

My vote would be for the Hector.
AYP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 16:12   #59
Senior - BHPian

My vote would go for the Harrier. Infact both the cars look oversized but Harrier in Camo looks all more alluring. Plus Hector being with too much Internet removes the fun to drive expectations.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2021, 09:29   #60
BHPian

What I remember from the reviews, Hector has a soft suspension. This will not be good for long drives in which the car will keep pitching causing discomfort.

Harrier has this aspect most sorted out. Yes there have been niggles do read through each of them but what I can see is most issues are with the infotainment system than car as a whole.

Do take a long drive or talk to some owner on highway comfort of Hector. Rest I agree Tata could have done more with the features for price point. But engine from Fiat, platform design from range rover there is hardly any scope for margin.
aniyo is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks