Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2019, 07:53   #1
BHPian

Is the Ford EcoSport EcoBoost 1.0L still worth buying?

Hi Friends,

Can you please advice if the ford Ecosport ecoboost is still worth a buy ?

I understand its a fun-to-drive vehicle and is for enthusiasts.

With the current offers, and the features that it offers, I am very much confused. Especially so, keeping in mind that Ford plan to discontinue the ecoboost 1.0 litre from 2020 onward.

Also, with the planned tie-up with Mahindra, should I be wary of its future if I buy now too ?

If at all, I decide to go for Ecosport, I may opt for ecoboost only and wanted to make the best of the offers being provided currently.

Can you help

Thanks
Old 17th November 2019, 09:46   #2
BHPian

re: Is the Ford EcoSport EcoBoost 1.0L still worth buying?

With the complex build of the engine and ford planning to discontinue the same, inspires less confidence. No doubt it would be great to drive, but for long run, I'd stay away.

Recently I was watching a video which described how direct injection leads to more control and extracting more power but on the downside the injectors are exposed to extreme temperatures hence finicky and the blowby air, which is reintroduced to the cylinders builds a gummy soot on the backside of the valves which is impossible to clean without opening the engine.

For a long termer opt for a simple engine. If EcoSport, go for the dragon engine.

Last edited by Blow Horn Ok : 17th November 2019 at 09:47.
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2019, 10:00   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
For a long termer opt for a simple engine. If EcoSport, go for the dragon engine.
Thank you !

Any other suggestions in the same range and reasons for buying an ecosport (build quality, good interiors, safety features, low maintenance etc..)
Old 17th November 2019, 10:50   #4
BHPian

In terms of heaviness, you can try the xuv300. I have driven the Petrol in city and found it to be peppy. Haven't tried it on the highway. Since it is new in the market and is from Mahindra, long term wear and tear and niggles are yet to be seen.

The xuv feels broader than the EcoSport but the EcoSport feels more taut and fun.

You can wait for the petrol brezza/scross.
Old 17th November 2019, 11:29   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
In terms of heaviness, you can try the xuv300. I have driven the Petrol in city and found it to be peppy. Haven't tried it on the highway. Since it is new in the market and is from Mahindra, long term wear and tear and niggles are yet to be seen.

The xuv feels broader than the EcoSport but the EcoSport feels more taut and fun.

You can wait for the petrol brezza/scross.
Ok, thank you! The reason for me looking to buy now is to make best use of the offers. Ford seem to be giving good offers now on their cars including Ecosport model.

With the BS 6 rollout in the pipeline, the registration and road taxes may get higher even to an extent of 1lakh plus in addition to the price increase for the newer models.

Is it true that the cars that we buy now can be used until its validity expires (15 years) and any new BS 6 vehicles manufactured will have the validity only up to 10 years ?

I also liked the ecosport design and overall package it offers (though it has its cons too), but found the Titanium + lacking several good features which were moved to S variant by Ford. So, all of these are creating a hell lot of confusion for me.

Thanks,
Old 17th November 2019, 13:06   #6
KMT
BHPian

I just got a Venue Petrol 1Ltr GDI and enjoy driving it.
Needs to be kept in the powerband though.
If you want a peppy small car, you should TD the Venue too.

Last edited by KMT : 17th November 2019 at 13:07.
Old 18th November 2019, 07:34   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Is the Ford EcoSport EcoBoost 1.0L still worth buying?

Yes to the car, no to the engine. Reason = The EcoSport's 1.5L Dragon engine is way superior. It's got better low end torque & thus driveability, it's revv-happy, more fuel-efficient and cheaper too. A no-brainer choice to select the 1.5L Dragon over the 1.0L EcoBoost. Even in terms of long-term maintenance, the 1.5L Dragon will be cheaper as the 1.0L EcoBoost is a complicated turbo-charged unit.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th November 2019, 08:00   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blrboy View Post
Thank you !

Any other suggestions in the same range and reasons for buying an ecosport (build quality, good interiors, safety features, low maintenance etc..)
Wait for the petrol Scross and Brezza. Ecoboost is good but it being an import, would cost a lot to maintain. Also it is a complicated engine and not many technicians are trained to handle it in case of break down or any other issue.

Rather try the 1.5 lt dragon engine. I personally did not like because I am a fan of turbo charged engines but apparently it has good drivability. You can also check out the XUV 3OO but it is expensive and Ecosport is much better in comparison.

Venue is also a decent option. But you need to make sure of changing the suspensions and tyres if you love to drive. Handling is the Achilles heel of most Hyundai cars in India.
VWAllstar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2019, 08:18   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Yes to the car, no to the engine. Reason = The EcoSport's 1.5L Dragon engine is way superior. It's got better low end torque & thus driveability, it's revv-happy, more fuel-efficient and cheaper too. A no-brainer choice to select the 1.5L Dragon over the 1.0L EcoBoost. Even in terms of long-term maintenance, the 1.5L Dragon will be cheaper as the 1.0L EcoBoost is a complicated turbo-charged unit.
GTO, Thanks for your reply. I feel what you said makes more sense and practical too.

I did some research and based on my usage , preference, I feel I should go with Dragon.

The main reason for me to look for 1.0 litre ecoboost is for the extra features it gives like the below as compared to Dragon Titanium Plus edition.

1. SYNC3 with Voice recognition
2. Mobile Connectivity with Apple CarPlay & Android Auto
3. Puddle Lamps on outside mirror
4. Glove Box illumination
5. Multi-color Ambientte lighting
6. Tyre pressure monitoring system

7. Premium/Leather

8. Sporty Alloy/Pedal
9. Cruise Control
10. Front Door Scuff Plate
11. Emergency Assistance
12. FordMyKey
13. ISOFIX

According to you what features from the above would be really missed in Titanium + . Also, can I fit them as an additional feature in Titanium Plus ?

Can you suggest

Thanks

Last edited by blrboy : 18th November 2019 at 08:19. Reason: Missed to add one list item in feature list
Old 18th November 2019, 09:44   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Wait for the petrol Scross and Brezza. Ecoboost is good but it being an import, would cost a lot to maintain. Also it is a complicated engine and not many technicians are trained to handle it in case of break down or any other issue.

Rather try the 1.5 lt dragon engine. I personally did not like because I am a fan of turbo charged engines but apparently it has good drivability. You can also check out the XUV 3OO but it is expensive and Ecosport is much better in comparison.

Venue is also a decent option. But you need to make sure of changing the suspensions and tyres if you love to drive. Handling is the Achilles heel of most Hyundai cars in India.
Thanks for the suggestions. Though Maruti is perfect for our conditions and gives good mileage. It is still a good car for majority of the people and true in that sense.

With due respect to all Maruti owners, though its a complete practical car , personally I never liked it for its build quality. though they have improved by leaps and bounds from initial days.

XUV 300 is costlier for the features it gives and being a petrol from Mahindra , it need to prove itself.

Venue - I didn't like the box-type design, though being a Hyundai it can be assured of decent quality, and a VFM vehicle.

Therefore I still feel among the current lot, ecosport still holds good - that is my personal view.

Thanks again for your suggestions.
blrboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2019, 10:30   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
GTO, Thanks for your reply. I feel what you said makes more sense and practical too.

I did some research and based on my usage , preference, I feel I should go with Dragon.

The main reason for me to look for 1.0 litre ecoboost is for the extra features it gives like the below as compared to Dragon Titanium Plus edition.

7. Premium/Leather

8. Sporty Alloy/Pedal
9. Cruise Control
11. Emergency Assistance
12. FordMyKey
13. ISOFIX

According to you what features from the above would be really missed in Titanium + . Also, can I fit them as an additional feature in Titanium Plus ?

Can you suggest

Thanks
Never compromise of the core of the vehicle for superficial features. By Core, I refer to Engine, Safety, Drive quality. Though some of the above are more than good to have, I would not compromise on the engine gearbox transmission. I have paid the price (read depreciation hit) for choosing an engine which I didnt love (city CVT). Had to prematurely sell the car!
Old 18th November 2019, 11:19   #12
BHPian

Quote:

7. Premium/Leather

8. Sporty Alloy/Pedal
9. Cruise Control
11. Emergency Assistance
12. FordMyKey
13. ISOFIX

Can you suggest

Thanks
Ford did this shuffling of the features not very long ago. I guess you can still find few stocks of titanium plus (without feature deletions and without sunroof) with some dealers. Try scouting in cities near you. Else, you can also go for pre-worshipped route.
Old 18th November 2019, 11:23   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Never compromise of the core of the vehicle for superficial features. By Core, I refer to Engine, Safety, Drive quality. Though some of the above are more than good to have, I would not compromise on the engine gearbox transmission. I have paid the price (read depreciation hit) for choosing an engine which I didnt love (city CVT). Had to prematurely sell the car!
Yes, what you said is right! We should keep our emotions on the side and go with what our head says.
blrboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2019, 11:25   #14
BHPian

Mod Note: Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 20th November 2019 at 16:24.
Old 18th November 2019, 12:29   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, what you said is right! We should keep our emotions on the side and go with what our head says.
In fact the other way round .

For me, the engine and car dynamics is a heart decision. Features are head aspects.

But I understand your perspective also.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks