Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2019, 00:08   #31
BHPian

Re: MG Hector vs Kia Seltos

Considering you planning to do Konkan and ghats in the rains and primarily as a long distance cruiser.
1- HEXA, we had taken it to Dapoli from Pune during the recent rains - while going we went via Mahad (nonexistent road for 70-80 kms) and returned via Poladpur-Mahabaleshwar. Two couples and two kids (3-4 year old) and the hexa didn’t miss a beat on any of the roads. The ghats also were taken easily without any discomfort or motion sickness. I have also done a 600 plus km trip in 10 hours with halts (Pune- Bhiwandi- Nasik- Kopargaon). With a mix of expressways, two lane roads and farm tracks and it was amazing. In fact my mom was sleeping when I was driving the farm track roads. It is an XTA. From an engine perspective it is reliable (Varicor), the AT is a treat and you might even get good discounts if the car
Is already in stock with the dealer. Good FE too (10-11 city and 16-18 highway) - with a heavy foot. Easy to drive in the city as well.

2 - Kia Seltos is the second choice however if you planning to sell the Tiago won’t recommend as a
Second car in the garage is always a boon. (Unless
You want to sell and pick up a used small hatch later). I currently have our Nano out of commission due to an accident and the Vista is undergoing an overhaul. So I really know the trouble with just one car.

I won’t recommend the Hector purely because the reliability is still an unknown. Also it has too many electronics and the small tyres are actually a pain in rough non existent roads. Resale will also be a gamble.

Another recommendation - the Harrier (good engine, reliability is good, ride quality is better than seltos and hector).

If you would like to try a sedan - check the Octavia or Jetta.
If you like to go used - Innova is the way to go!
torquecurve is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2019, 06:35   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
From what I understand you are looking for loads of space from an infant/small baby perspective. If that is true, then forget the Seltos - the boot space is smaller than that of the Venue [Refer: Link (Measuring the actual boot capacity of your car)]. If yes, I am curious to here your thoughts on this topic of Seltos Diesel AT vs 7 DCT
Quite a lot of people in Seltos groups in Kerala are quite impressed with the diesel AT.

I took back to back test drives of the diesel and petrol, found the diesel to be a bit dull compared to the petrol DCT. Not that the petrol DCT is the spiritual successor to the 1.2 / 1.8 TSI DSG, but DCT was better than the diesel torque converter IMO. I think Diesel heads are not impressed by the petrol mode of power delivery, especially this 1.4 DCT combination. I was used to 1.3 diesel DDIS in the Dzire and the S cross for 10 years and this sudden shift to 1.4 DCT was a pleasant surprise, and I have started to enjoy the refinement and seamless gearshifts. I had booked the GT Tsi but canceled it later due to family concerns of space. The GTX Plus DCT for me is 90% of the GT Tsi with the convenience of a CUV.

The disproportionate revvs for the "thrust obtained" in layman's terms was the factor that made me decide against the 6AT. I took a long TD of the Hector DCT as well. The Hector was good when the gas pedal was caressed, but when pressed hard there was no response, all I could see was the mileage dropping and revvs climbing without any perceptible acceleration. It was very dull to drive. The diesel manual was a different story. It was punchy, but I wanted the convenience of an automatic.
sandygordon is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th December 2019, 16:27   #33
BHPian

MG Hector vs Kia Seltos

Since you own a Hyundai already and have a budget that extends above 20-lakhs, why not look at the Hyundai Tucson? It is a segment above the Seltos and Hector, fits all your requirements, and should have some heavy discounts on it with the BS6 deadline approaching. It is obviously not as new of a launch as the Hector and Seltos, but it will still be a solid upgrade over the Verna.

Last edited by Abhinav667 : 13th December 2019 at 16:29.
Abhinav667 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2019, 17:15   #34
BHPian

Why don't you consider the S-Cross? It fits your expectations. It has a very good build quality, service is brilliant with Nexa, it's damn good on space, airy wide cabin, amazing boot space if 2 occupants, with 5 occupants, 340-350L boot space (decent enough for a single family). The car also has brilliant drivability. A friend of mine has a 1.3L diesel, but Maruti has plans of getting a 1.5L Petrol on S-Cross for BS6. You might wanna check that.

Kia Seltos has been a runaway hit. But it does seem overrated.
Old 13th December 2019, 18:00   #35
BHPian

I will only push what I believe is already your choice .
I personally have seen both the vehicles in flesh and one says what you first feel is the right choice. When I saw Seltos I felt its good looking vehicle and looked good, but when I saw MG I felt that I should buy it and it looked great and had the wow feel. Both are good but my heart tug was by MG. It looks a segment above KIA in size and interiors both.
You should not worry about reliability as they are offering excellent warranty packages and seem to believe in their product.
From your post I feel you are inclined towards MG and rightly so, I too feel the same and would suggest MG.
xway is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2019, 09:52   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashankrt View Post
Hey All,

I am in middle of decision crisis (literally) as too many things happening and kind of forced to choose a car.
If I were you, I'd pick the Hexa for such a requirement, eyes closed.

It makes no sense to spend the same amount of money on glitzy, gizmo-loaded raised hatchbacks masquerading as SUVs, riding on poverty-spec McPherson struts when a proper BOF vehicle with premium double wishbone suspension is available for about the same money. And let's not forget that one offers a slushbox with a puny 1.5L, the other a frankly terrible Petrol DCT or a nice 2.0 mated to a clunky-ish MT. But that's just my bias towards the mechanical aspects of an automobile (as opposed to the gadget perspective). The above alone would matter to me above all else, but I wouldn't let my bias get in the way of an honest recommendation.

Don't get me wrong - for the bonafide requirement of city heavy drivers (requiring a lighter steering/small footprint etc) and/or janta concerned with large touchscreens, kewl factor et. al., both the Seltos and Hector are very well priced, very good cars. Which would be the right recommendation for a lot of people. Heck, they're perfectly fine on the highway too. But why would I settle for bling-y fine when I could have sensible great for my requirements for about the same money?

For you, they don't make sense. Second car. For highway trips. Mostly 4 people with requirement for space for a child seat soon. It just screams Hexa XTA 6 Seater. The 4 adults can enjoy captain seats with the child seat and other stuff in the third row - away from the dangerous curtain airbags. (That said, I'd still pick the 7 seater personally having driven and ridden in both configurations - I suggest you check that out personally. IMO the bench seat is both more comfortable and practical than the captain seats. Please check for body styles/preferences before choosing between the 2 variants, if at all the Hexa becomes your first choice).

Only downsides are relatively heavier steering (relatively being the keyword) + potential Tata ASC issues (you know the local scene best since you already own a Tiago and have seen a good ASC close down).

Other than that you get a fine slushbox with a decently sized engine, great ride quality, solid build and all round quality, 2 extra seats, 6 airbags (happy to hear that it's a non-negotiable requirement for you ), good music system that actually sounds good rather than just having a fancy name slapped on to it etc. etc.
Mu009 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th December 2019, 20:41   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Comfortable family cruiser = MG Hector
Self-driven & driving pleasure = Kia Seltos
Thanks for the detailed reply..
In case if I choose Hector, it will be top end diesel as petrol DCT will be too expensive considering heavy usage. Also I am not sure if I will get allotment by Jan as I have not yet processed my loan. Planning to start loan processing soon as the plans went on back burner due to family emergency.

Seltos I have not yet test driven, but will test drive soon along with Hexa.

Considering that plans for new car purchase may shift to Jan or Feb or even March, would your above analysis change.. because of BS6 and any new launches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
I would suggest you drive the Hexa. The car would beat both Hector and Seltos in most factors you have mentioned above.

The Automatic will be the one I would recommend.
Yes. Planning to test drive HEXA this week. However I am concerned about its xtra large size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilthegunner View Post
Since you mentioned being open to a sedan, another would be checking out the civic auto. It would deliver on the reliability front since it's a Japanese car and is somewhat within budget if you aren't looking at top end.
Yes Hexa test drive will be done soon. I also think it may confuse me more as it will sit in between both Hector and Seltos in terms on my requirements.

Not sure about CIVIC though considering its ground clearance..

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
If you are willing to wait for 1 more year, then we have the next gen XUV 500(and perhaps its Ford derivative) coming up. Also, MG will be launching the 6/7 seater Hector as well.

Since, you are open to sedans, why don't you test drive the Octavia?
Well.. not sure. If I am unable to buy by this year end then can wait for 1 more year. And then things will change and I am not sure if the cars I have mentioned will even be in my budget (All car manufacturers will increase prices in Jan)

XUV 500 was in my list but top end next gen will probably will be 25 lakhs OTR Mumbai and out of my budget.. so not sure.

Yes. MG will be launching 6/7 seater. However I am not sure if 3rd row will be that spacious. However for next year there would be many more launches including new CRETA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasanka_Sanga View Post
Did you get a chance to try the Marazzo which ticks most of your requirements. It’s a solid build vehicle with an NCAP rating of 4.
Did not consider Marazzo...however will check out Marazzo also

Note from Support :

While responding to multiple posts, please use the multi-quote option.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 15th December 2019 at 21:15. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 15th January 2020, 13:37   #38
BHPian

I'm a hexa owner. Driven it 1.3 lac km till now. I can vouch for it. I should do a long term ownership thread. Best things about hexa ownership are:

1. 20k service interval. My first timing belt is due after 1.5 lac km.
2. Best ride quality.
3. Lots of space.
4. You should get a huge discount since it might be phased out.

Automatic is real automatic.no AMT DCT stuff. Although I have not driven a DCT.
Old 15th January 2020, 14:03   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashankrt View Post
Thanks for the detailed reply..
I moved from a Honda Civic sedan to the MG Hector in December. Imagine my reliability concern!

The Civic was my workhorse for almost 13 years. Almost 2,30,000 Kms later, I still took it for a road trip from Delhi to Munsiyari, which is in the upper reaches of the Himalayas. That's the kind of faith I had in that car. And it never disappointed.

After the Seltos vs Hector debate, I decided for the latter as in it's Diesel Avatar, it is a great family cruiser, had a lot of features, oodles of space. Sheer value for money.

I've driven the Hector for around 2k kms now, no issues whatsoever. The first service experience was excellent as well. I'm pretty impressed.
Old 15th January 2020, 15:18   #40
BHPian

I would recommend option 3 if both the tiago and verna are satisfying your day to day needs and are in good serviceable conditions. As for long drives, you can always rent a car of your choice especially in a place like Mumbai. In a year we would have better models lined up.
Old 15th January 2020, 23:58   #41
BHPian

We are already passing one month of 2020 and I would suggest going for a BS6 mill (Seltos?) Buying a BS4 at this time would be a stupidity
1. Soon all fuel stations would be selling BS6 fuel and the BS4 mills may not be efficient and or economical in the long run
2. You may not find a buyer for BS4 vehicle
Old 16th January 2020, 15:49   #42
BHPian

Since you already own a Verna and are happy with it, why haven't you considered the top of the line creta automatic diesel. The car is extremely reliable and would tick most boxes with ease.
Old 19th February 2020, 17:49   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mu009 View Post
If I were you, I'd pick the Hexa for such a requirement, eyes closed.
Thanks for the detailed reply . Bumping this thread after a long time now that I am back to car buying decision.

Well seltos is definitely out. I have already asked for deposit refund and frankly more than the car, its the sales attitude that put me down.

Now its Hector vs Hexa or harrier (the version 2.0). As you have good experience with Hexa perhaps you can help me with the decision.

Hexa's availability is currently an issue. there are few white and brown XTAs available however I am also evaluating the 4x4 version. Frankly had 4x4 version been available, I would have bought it even without even consultation with wifey

Unfortunately Hexa 4x4 seems to have been paused or stopped for BS 6. Now i cannot wait for BS6 as then Hexa will go out of my already stretched budget.

With XTA, problem is I don't know how 6 seater or 7 seater config looks. Also why would you say curtain bags are dangerous?

Only point in favor of Hector is the sunroof and then the gizmos (secondary)

On a different note - Any idea how easy or difficult it is to drive hexa in city compared to say a verna (asking as both similar in length)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZ25 View Post
Hexa is a great car, but will be discontinued with the implementation of BS6 since Tata won't be upgrading the 2.2 diesel engine.
The Seltos and Hector are great options at this price point. If you car will be mostly used in the city, the Hector has a better low speed ride quality, while the Seltos is better at higher speeds. It also has superior handling, which makes it an excellent highway cruiser.
Practicality wise, the Hector wins hands down. It can carry 3 people at the back with ease, and a 6 seat version of the Hector is coming. The Seltos, can just about fit 3 people.
Both have similar safety features, but as GTO said, if you want a fun to drive car, that is relatively practical for it's size, go for the Seltos.
If you want a sensible car, whose main USP is space, go for the Hector.
Don't let one dealer experience influence your purchase decision. It's the car that matters.
Well heart wants the Hexa and the brain Hector or Harrier. Its not one dealer experience... I tried 3 -4 dealers for Kia but most either don't have TD cars or are just not interested enough to sell. Problem with Kia is dealers and probably a.s.s. also treats it like 12 -15 lakh car and hence the sales experience of 20 lakh car is missing. Also seems a.s.s of Kia is really questionable as apparent from DCT issues and lack of company feedback (we have a thread on the forum)

In fact Seltos was once car which suits both city & Highway use. However non dct variants have only 2 airbags. I will be taking closer look at harrier but seems XZA model may be out of my reach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by born.4thnov View Post
Since you already own a Verna and are happy with it, why haven't you considered the top of the line creta automatic diesel. The car is extremely reliable and would tick most boxes with ease.
Interior space and dull looks. Plus its quite expensive for what it offers and Hyundai's service costs have climbed up significantly. Also Hyundai's paint quality is so delicate that car gets scratched easily ..so difficult to maintain (things may have changed now but I am speaking based on my experience with Verna)

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 19th February 2020 at 18:39. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 19th February 2020, 18:56   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amannarwal View Post

Automatic is real automatic.no AMT DCT stuff. Although I have not driven a DCT.
Sorry, but this is hilarious. What is "real automatic"?.

Buddy, get yourself updated. Speaking AMT and DCT in same breath is not wise. Technology and complexity wise, no transmission can come close to DCT's.
AMT's are just a clever Jugaad to provide cheap clutch-less travels. DCT stands for dual clutch transmission and are insanely fast. No Torque converter or AT gearbox can come close to it. Test drive an Octavia 1.8 TSI or GT TSi with DSG ( DCT) and you will know the difference.
Roadster17 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2020, 11:10   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster17 View Post
Sorry, but this is hilarious. What is "real automatic"?.

Buddy, get yourself updated. Speaking AMT and DCT in same breath is not wise. Technology and complexity wise, no transmission can come close to DCT's.
AMT's are just a clever Jugaad to provide cheap clutch-less travels. DCT stands for dual clutch transmission and are insanely fast. No Torque converter or AT gearbox can come close to it. Test drive an Octavia 1.8 TSI or GT TSi with DSG ( DCT) and you will know the difference.
My bad ! I was meaning to say CVT. But no worries, chill.
amannarwal is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed