Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2019, 14:05   #1
BHPian

MG Hector vs Kia Seltos

Hey All,

I am in middle of decision crisis (literally) as too many things happening and kind of forced to choose a car. Also both MG / Kia will be increasing prices soon along with other car manufacturers and hence preferable want to close things this month itself.

Requirements:
1. Need to be an SUV with loads of space (open for few models of sedan however see below requirements)
2. Rugged build and compliant ride quality. This is non negotiable as the car will be second car (replacement for Verna Fluidic) and will be used primarily for long road trips (example Mumbai - Alibag, Mumbai Ratnagiri / Ganpatipule, Mumbai Goa).
3. Some times car will be having 2 occupants and mostly 4 in some trips. However we have little one on the way and hence need to factor his / her future requirements. (Smaller the bundle larger the space required - car seat, luggage etc)
4. This will be replacement for Verna Fluidic and hence has to have same or more space. Also need to be reliable (I have had situations where Verna was forced to wade through 1,5 feet water multiple times in same trip. People in konkan area and travelling in monsoons will know what I am saying)
Verna could easily handle such situations and hence need that same reliability.
5. Budget is upto 20 lakhs plus or minus couple of lakhs. Car will be mostly financed and hence will be a long term investment. (My 2012 Verna is 8 years old now)
6. Need to have atleast 6 airbags and full array of safety features. I am quite safety conscious and hence this is again non negotiable.

Options considered:

1. MG Hector - Currently this is top contender and as it satisfies most above requirements (1, partially 2, partially 4, 5 and 6). However I am not sure about reliability. The last thing I want is stranded in middle of no where with an infant. Apart from reliability and long term service concerns, Hector completely fits the bill. This was the reason I have still not take delivery in spite of booking in July. Additionally if Hector is final decision I need to finish billing this month else I end up with 40k increased cost.
Also I found MG service experience quite better than KIA. All my queries have been replied by MG support almost within 1 hour. Also Thane MG service seems to be improving (please provided feedback on this if anyone has booked car from same dealer)

2. KIA Seltos - This actually satisfies all points EXCEPT 1 and 2 (which is quite a bummer). As Hyundai owner I know how pathetic their paint quality is and I dont expect anything better from KIA.
Also my experience with Shreenath KIA Thane has been really bad and have not even managed to get a TD in spite of visiting them thrice. Will be visiting them again this week and take a final call.
I have also booked Seltos, however I am interested in only diesel top model as all below models dont have 6 airbags. for 20 lakhs plus on road, this model is way over priced.
Note - If I decide with KIA then I will probably sell both Tiago & Verna. Hence my finance cost will be significantly reduced.

3. Not buy a new car now !! - I have 2 cars currently - Tata Tiago XZA 2017 model & Hyundai Verna Fluidic SX VTVT.
Verna has started to show its age (though its mechanically good and will be as good as new if I spend 1 lakh more on it).
Tiago will be retained as it was primarily intended for my wife who ended never using it . However new car will be purchased on guarantee that she starts using it (especially after the little one arrives). Currently I use it for daily office drive from Mulund to Goregaon (a route which needs auto box) Also Tiago has spoiled us due to its complaint ride quality. In fact I have not taken Verna on a road trip since last 6 months as the bouncy boat makes her uncomfortable and causes pain.
Hence other option is maintain existing cars for 1 more year (however long trips will be an issue as Tiago is not really suited for highway use due to its anaemic engines and that crappy AMT screwes me in ghats)
Also any new car has to have ride quality similar or better than Tiago (small speed breakers and most potholes are cakewalk for tiago)

4. Hexa / XUV / Harrier - Out of these XUV was very expensive at 23 lakhs for 4WD automatic else would have considered this as option.
Hexa / Harrier have not yet been considered as a good Tata dealer / service near me (Fortune Motors) closed. Hence I currently dont even have decent servicing option for Tiago. So not sure if TATA cars should be considered especially for 20 lakh bracket and poor or lack of service.

5. Compass / Kodiaq / Tucson - Jeep is out of budget and no discounts. Not sure if any discounts are available for Kodiaq / Tucson.

Note - I am 37 yr old and this will be probably my only car purchase in next 8 years and hence need to be perfect AND need to satisfy my mid life crisis (if something like that exists)

Last edited by ajmat : 10th December 2019 at 18:53. Reason: multiple typos
shashankrt is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 10th December 2019, 08:49   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: MG Hector vs Kia Seltos

Have driven both extensively in the city as well as on the highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashankrt View Post
Need to be an SUV with loads of space (open for few models of sedan however see below requirements)
2. Rugged build and compliant ride quality.
Space & ride quality = Hector, and by quite a margin. That said, you said it's just going to be 2 - 4 of you, so that should be an easy fit in the Seltos. Also, while the Seltos' suspension feels too firm on bad roads in the city, its better at high speed. The Seltos has nicer highway behaviour and is the more fun-to-drive.

Overall, I will say that the Hector is a fantastic car for a large family to cruise around in. But the Seltos is the superior crossover, and has greater depth of engineering too.

Quote:
1. MG Hector - Currently this is top contender and as it satisfies most above requirements (1, partially 2, partially 4, 5 and 6). However I am not sure about reliability.
Not something I'd be worried about as it uses FCA's 2.0 diesel. That's a jewel of an engine.

If Hector, buy the Diesel MT as the Petrol DCT is lame. On the other hand, if Seltos, buy the Automatics. They are damn good (I LOVED the Kia's Diesel AT). I'll sum it up as below:

Comfortable family cruiser = MG Hector
Self-driven & driving pleasure = Kia Seltos
GTO is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 10th December 2019, 09:10   #3
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest you drive the Hexa. The car would beat both Hector and Seltos in most factors you have mentioned above.

The Automatic will be the one I would recommend.
2000rpm is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 10th December 2019, 10:32   #4
BHPian

I have 2 suggestions:
1 would be drive the Hexa and see what its like. I've driven the auto version on the highway and the torque combined with the auto is quite addictive. This should work well for you as you say it will primarily be used for long road trips. The suspension can handle anything you throw at it. For more information, you can check out the Hexa thread.

Since you mentioned being open to a sedan, another would be checking out the civic auto. It would deliver on the reliability front since it's a Japanese car and is somewhat within budget if you aren't looking at top end.
nikhilthegunner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th December 2019, 12:37   #5
AYP
Senior - BHPian

If you are willing to wait for 1 more year, then we have the next gen XUV 500(and perhaps its Ford derivative) coming up. Also, MG will be launching the 6/7 seater Hector as well.

Since, you are open to sedans, why don't you test drive the Octavia?
AYP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2019, 13:02   #6
BHPian

Did you get a chance to try the Marazzo which ticks most of your requirements. It’s a solid build vehicle with an NCAP rating of 4.
Sasanka_Sanga is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th December 2019, 15:49   #7
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
Hey All,

[Also both MG / Kia will be increasing prices soon along with other car manufacturers and hence preferable want to close things this month itself.

This is exactly the fear auto manufacturers play on every year. My suggestion is don't rush yourself, maybe wait for the Creta 2020, Tata Buzzard or check out other options being launched. Your budget should give you good options next year.

Quote:
Requirements:
1. Need to be an SUV with loads of space (open for few models of sedan however see below requirements)
2. Rugged build and compliant ride quality. This is non negotiable as the car will be second car (replacement for verna fluidic) and will be used primarily for long road trips (example Mumbai - Alibag, Mumbai Ratnagiri / Ganpatipule, Mumbai Goa).

SUV sounds like a better option, the high ground clearance and better suspension will help navigating bad roads on those trips.

Quote:
Options considered:

Note - If I decide with KIA then I will probably sell both tiago & Verna. Hence my finance cost will be significantly reduced.

3. Not buy a new car now !! - I have 2 cars currently - Tata Tiago XZA 2017 model & Hyundai verna Fluidic SX VTVT.

Selling your 2017 Tiago (which you are happy with) would be a bad financial decision. Are you getting a really good price or is the usage going to be negligible ?
AZT is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th December 2019, 16:56   #8
BHPian

According to your requirements Seltos is a better option if you drive yourself. Hector according to me is a little disproportionate to look at and have too many electronic parts.Hence more chances of things going wrong. But Kia is going to increase prices soon. I suggest you try and drive Jeep Compass and Harrrier once. Both are available with about 1.5 lakh discounts and fulfill almost most of your requirements. If you compare the driving experience jeep is akin to driving a latest Enfield Bullet or Thunderbird minus its niggles and Seltos is like Bajaj Pulsor.
Sandeep500 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2019, 02:31   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Firstly, more than SUV, I'd suggest looking at an auto option if this is going to be your daily commute across bombay - and i dont see traffic improving anytime soon!
If your wife has the Tiago, you're not going to be very happy driving a manual hector across town - the kia should be easier I reckon and the AT falls within budget too.

That being said, also look at the Elantra automatic which is being discounted heavily. It is very similar to the Verna with most flaws fixed (firmer suspension, more space).

If you are open to pre-owned, there are some steal deals that can be had in cars still within manufacturer warranty. If so, my suggestion would be the Hyundai Tucson.

Avoiding recommending any Germans like the Octavia or Tiguan. While they are excellent vehicles and can take the rough (our Laura has done Mumbai-Goa, Mahabaleshwar, Pune, Alibaug, etc. with ease) well and are built solid - they don't strike off on reliability very well and I don't know how the electronics will hold up in flooded conditions. If you're willing to take a chance with 7/10 reliability but 10/10 on other parameters - the Octavia could be a great choice though it's at the end of its product cycle. With 5/6 year extended warranty packages there is more peace of mind, and service in mumbai was fairly decent.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2019, 08:59   #10
Senior - BHPian

For your requirements, the Hexa would be a perfect fit. It ticks all your boxes. The only issue that you have mentioned regarding that is the dealership. Mumbai must have other good dealerships right? Even if they are a little further from home, you will only be visiting them once a year - so distance should not matter.

Hexa has, by far, the best ride quality in that budget (and much higher budgets) - a very important consideration for your wife and baby. And as you said, that is non-negotiable. So take a Hexa test drive with the wife and let her decide.

PS: The Race Mode will take care of your mid-life crisis.
samaspire is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th December 2019, 13:02   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasanka_Sanga View Post
Did you get a chance to try the Marazzo which ticks most of your requirements. It’s a solid build vehicle with an NCAP rating of 4.
Absolutely second that thought of trying out the Marazzo especially the 7 seater M8 with captain seats. Have recently travelled in one and found the vehicle highly refined and with a carpet like ride.

It seems to be a direct competitor to the Innova in every way (specifically to say even better than the previous generation one). Engine is of course a robust Mahindra diesel and you would have year end discounts to boot to the current 18+ lakh price tag.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...al-review.html (Mahindra Marazzo : Official Review)

Of course the negatives would be an MUVish design and less number of airbags but then the NCAP ratings and Mahindra's tank like builds would cover it to a good extent. Would suggest why not just drop in and take a test drive. You never know if this would tick you to a purchase.

On the other note between an MG and Kia, it would be the Seltos all the way. But then why not check the good old Creta which is still a very competitive package and may have some decent discounts to boot given the refreshed one round the corner.
girishglg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2019, 10:35   #12
BHPian

Hexa is a great car, but will be discontinued with the implementation of BS6 since Tata won't be upgrading the 2.2 diesel engine.
The Seltos and Hector are great options at this price point. If you car will be mostly used in the city, the Hector has a better low speed ride quality, while the Seltos is better at higher speeds. It also has superior handling, which makes it an excellent highway cruiser.
Practicality wise, the Hector wins hands down. It can carry 3 people at the back with ease, and a 6 seat version of the Hector is coming. The Seltos, can just about fit 3 people.
Both have similar safety features, but as GTO said, if you want a fun to drive car, that is relatively practical for it's size, go for the Seltos.
If you want a sensible car, whose main USP is space, go for the Hector.
Don't let one dealer experience influence your purchase decision. It's the car that matters.

Last edited by BZ25 : 12th December 2019 at 10:36.
Old 12th December 2019, 10:41   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Requirements:
I am 'almost' in the same boat as you. I am looking for a sedan or SUV which is spacious, safe and reliable to carry around 5 people on long highway trips. I shortlisted many, rejected many.

Finally, the only car that ticks all the boxes is a Innova Crysta, Duster AWD being a close runner up falling short only on the safety aspect. However, due to the budget constraints and impending 15-20% price increase in the diesel models of Crysta, I am skeptical whether I should go ahead with my decision or find something in a lower budget like Ecosport or WRV.

If you could wait(and okay with the price increase), wait for an year or so and then consider Hector or Seltos or Harrier once the initial niggles with these models are sorted.

Last edited by thehacker : 12th December 2019 at 10:43.
Old 12th December 2019, 10:47   #14
BHPian

Considering you've a little one on the way, you need lots of boot space & decent ground clearance & suspension to tackle the worst Konkan has to offer. Hector fits the bill in all respects. I believe along with the extended warranty, it should provide peace of mind. Go for it
Old 12th December 2019, 11:03   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Hey All,

5. Compass / Kodiaq / Tucson - Jeep is out of budget and no discounts. Not sure if any discounts are available for Kodiaq / Tucson.

Note - I am 37 yr old and this will be probably my only car purchase in next 8 years and hence need to be perfect AND need to satisfy my mid life crisis (if something like that exists)
I was in your shoes exactly couple of months earlier and initially booked Kia - As soon as i sat in one, felt it was quite cramped and small which was not worth ~22 lakhs. Thought a lot & decided if this is going to be my car when i hit 40, it better be good & so i extended my budget by 5 lakhs <with discounts> and got myself a top-end Tucson Petrol. I would suggest you look at Tucson Diesel GL(O) which should be around the same cost as it fits all your conditions! Trust me, Its a german car dressed in Hyundai clothes

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 12th December 2019 at 11:05. Reason: Tuscon > Tucson.
urajkumar is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed