Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2019, 09:25   #1

Advice on buying a used Skoda Yeti

Dear All

need your valuable advice. I am on the lookout for a good used vehicle and the Yeti has really caught my fancy. I understand its not in production but I am still willing to buy one just because its one of a kind that was not really appreciated for what it offers. I have shortlisted a used 4X2 Yeti that has run around 67000 Km (2012 model). It drives well and my heart is really into it. But I am unsure of the future maintenance cost of the vehicle. factors such as spares/Service etc worry me. My heart wants it but my mind tells me otherwise. Owners/experts please advice based on your experience.

I am a firm believer in good used vehicles and my previous purchases ( Esteem, Honda Civic-my current ride) have been pre-owned.

PS: I do intend to look seriously into service history and get it checked by a competent mechanic before I take a call

PPS: I am also getting a good deal (year end offer) on a new Jeep compass ( Sports+ petrol). I get warranty, a new vehicle etc but at 3+ times the cost of the Yeti.

quite confused. Please pitch in with your thoughts

Thanks
navaneo
navaneo is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 15th December 2019, 10:42   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Advice on buying a used Skoda Yeti

If you are going in for the pre-owned Yeti, this is what you need to check:

- Water pump. Check if it has been changed before. If it hasn't, be mentally prepared that it might fail. Replacement cost is 7K if the leak is caught on time. 22K if it damages the timing kit too

- Check if the differential oil has been changed incase you come across a 4x4 variant according to the prescribed intervals.

- This is a problem exclusive to some Skodas such as the Yeti and Laura. The instrument cluster backlighting tends to flicker and conk off in certain cars. The only solution according to the A.S.S is to get the whole cluster changed which is 30K+ (though I am sure there is another way out).

- Check for abnormal noises from the suspension. Also, check for any metallic clanging noises from the front left when you take tall speed breakers or go through potholes. Points to a worn out gearbox mount. 9K to set it right.

- Check for ESP, ABS and power steering warning lights on the instrument cluster. Points to bad wheel speed sensors or even bad wheel bearings in the worst case.

Other than the above issues, the clutch should be checked for slippage (Don't go solely by the weight of the clutch pedal. Clutches are inherently heavy on VAG TDIs).

Other than this, there is little to worry about. The Yeti is still a classic in my opinion. Would have picked it up as an impulsive buy back in 2012 had it not been for the pricing and the space on offer.

Last edited by vishy76 : 15th December 2019 at 10:43.
vishy76 is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 15th December 2019, 11:36   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

You have had Japanese vehicles so far, my guess is that they haven't thrown many tantrums.

Why don't you list out a bunch of parts that needs replacement in the near future of this Yeti? And then figure out how much it's going to cost you in the next three years before making a decision. You can add stuff like bumper, mirrors etc as breakage, insurance costs.

Please read through plenty of other threads on Yeti, there are some very important maintenance that must be done at certain Intervals. Happy hunting.
Kosfactor is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 07:44   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Whoever has bought a Yeti swears by it. Yeti owners are a very happy lot. That said, it is a reasonably premium European vehicle, so don't expect it to be cheap to fix or have Japanese-like reliability. As long as you are prepared for that, go ahead. Follow ALL STEPS listed in this article (ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India).

Quote:
Originally Posted by navaneo View Post
I have shortlisted a used 4X2 Yeti that has run around 67000 Km (2012 model).
I usually don't prefer used cars that have over 50,000 km on the odo, but with a discontinued model, this is expected. Be sure to get it thoroughly checked. I also see two examples in Bangalore with lower km (link).
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 08:13   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thank you GTO. I have been a forum member for close to a decade now, albeit a silent one, and have gained immensely from the knowledge shared by folks like you and others. The above article helped me walk away from what I thought was a good deal on a used Laura 2.0 TDI automatic. dubious/inconsistent service records added to a test drive by my Mechanic and one word from him to walk away, and I did .
In case I pick up the Yeti, it will be only after going through the history of the vehicle, along with a check by my mechanic.

Thanks again to you and all mods for the fabulous work, unbiased insights and of course, for keeping the quality of the forum so high for so long.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 16th December 2019 at 08:15. Reason: Fixed broken quote tag.
navaneo is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 09:41   #6
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Dear All

need your valuable advice. I am on the lookout for a good used vehicle and the Yeti has really caught my fancy. I understand its not in production but I am still willing to buy one just because its one of a kind that was not really appreciated for what it offers. I have shortlisted a used 4X2 Yeti that has run around 67000 Km (2012 model)....
As an extremely happy user of a 2011 Skoda Yeti Elegance 4x4 for 8 full years, I can and will, wholeheartedly endorse your choice. It is amongst the most competent cars out there. And there is NO vehicle that comes close to it in terms of functionality, features, quality and feel. Not even a rattle after 8 years! Everything is built to last.

The ONLY reason I reluctantly sold it 3 weeks back at 47735kms done, is because I wanted an AT and was no longer able to enjoy a Manual heavy clutch AWD in the daily city traffic.

However, the Manual Transmission 4x2 version has a much much lighter clutch so you oughtnt to have an issue at all. And it performs very well, with that excellent TDI 2 litre engine and its 110BHP, because it is quite a bit lighter than the 4x4.

Now this is indeed a superb car. And yes, it will typically cost you Rs 18000-24000 per annum in terms of maintenance and servicing. And if you’re getting a 4x2 then you wont have to worry about the Haldex Clutch Fluid etc which you need to change once in 4 years.

I suggest you take the owner and the car to the Workshop - Go and meet Prem or Pravin at Vinayaka Skoda in Mahadevapura. You can specifically refer my name to them and ask them for an honest opinion on this particular car that you are looking at. Ask them for help. They are lovely guys. And will look after you.

Check if the previous owner has been using the MYSKODA app on his phone - if he has then the entire details of this Yeti will be sitting there. Provided of course, he has been servicing it properly at authorised workshops.

For a well kept 2012 4x2, I m guessing you’ll be able to land the car in your hands at ~ Rs 5 lacs -ish. Effectively then, you’re getting a car at such a low price, whose original on road price was more than three times as much!

I am a 100% with you on this Pre-Owned Car thought process rather than brand new - because brand new cars are stupidly priced these days and Pre Owned cars give you a huge advantage in the sense that someone else has taken the depreciation and tax hit.

Check the vehicle. And then you can buy it eyes closed. It represents tremendous value.

Yes, it didn’t do very well in India because it was quite ahead of its time and does not offer vast “Real Estate” the way say, a Fortuner does.

However, do note also that the Skoda Yeti is an extremely popular car in the UK, Europe and even in places like Turkey. Ive seen plenty of them in those parts.

Enjoy!

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 18th December 2019 at 22:55. Reason: Trimmed quoted post. Please do not quote full-length posts when responding. Use multi-quote if responding to specific points.
shankar.balan is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 15:34   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
As an extremely happy user of a 2011 Skoda Yeti Elegance 4x4 for 8 full years, I can and will, wholeheartedly endorse your choice.
========
However, do note also that the Skoda Yeti is an extremely popular car in the UK, Europe and even in places like Turkey. Ive seen plenty of them in those parts.

Enjoy!
Thank you Shankar.balan . In fact, your detailed ownership report was one of the compelling factors for me to consider the Yeti. If only I had decided earlier, I would have reached out to you in time to buy it from you. Having said that, I have just one more query which I hope you can reply to, based on your ownership. Are spares parts easily available ? I am not too worried about the maintenance cost, as long as the spares are available. But I would not want to wait for long periods of time waiting for parts to be procured.
navaneo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 17:32   #8
BANNED

Advice on buying a used Skoda Yeti

Quote:
Thank you Shankar.balan . In fact, your detailed ownership report was one of the compelling factors for me to consider the Yeti. If only I had decided earlier, I would have reached out to you in time to buy it from you. Having said that, I have just one more query which I hope you can reply to, based on your ownership. Are spares parts easily available ? I am not too worried about the maintenance cost, as long as the spares are available. But I would not want to wait for long periods of time waiting for parts to be procured.

No problem faced by me in 8 years ownership.

If you had asked about the Yeti just 3 weeks ago you could have taken mine.

Spares usually readily available because most of the spares come from the common VW parts bin.
It is only those oddball spares which have very low demand that you may need to wait for.
Like I wanted those black fender trims for which I had to wait 2 weeks as these are 'on order' basis.
Also the front bonnet cowl also because the rubber was torn. This also took 2 weeks on order.
I suggest you go and meet Prem and Pravin at Vinayak and take some inputs from them too.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 16th December 2019 at 17:34.
shankar.balan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th December 2019, 14:17   #9
BHPian

Quote:
The ONLY reason I reluctantly sold it 3 weeks back at 47735kms done, is because I wanted an AT and was no longer able to enjoy a Manual heavy clutch AWD in the daily city traffic.
Enjoy!
Hey Shankar, which AT car did you settle for? Or are you still in the market looking for one?

-Arun
drive1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2019, 14:31   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive1987 View Post
Hey Shankar, which AT car did you settle for? Or are you still in the market looking for one?

-Arun
He got a Mini CooperS. Woohoo!
Please check corresponding Mini thread.
Hudson is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th December 2019, 19:50   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am on the lookout for a good used vehicle and the Yeti has really caught my fancy.
When my Swift was stolen my brother-in-law loaned me his Skoda Laura and after driving it for 2 odd months, I just couldn't imagine myself in a non-Skoda car anymore. Skoda indeed makes great cars but once they go bad then it can soon be your worst nightmare.

I still wanted a Skoda and besides the 1.8 TSI Octavia, Yeti 4x4 was another vehicle that was in my shortlist but even in 2017 it was an old car.

I then went to my nearby car market and realized that not only are Yeti spares expensive, they aren't as readily available as other Skoda cars. In fact Fabia spares for some reason were much more quickly available than the Yeti.

I visited 2 other markets and it was the same story. One of the biggest auto-supplier market in Delhi had spares but their authenticity was anybody's guess. Skoda A.S.S did have spares but Yeti specific spares (non shared parts) could take anywhere from 10 days to a month, almost 3 years later the spare availability would only have gone down.

However good the Yeti is, avoid unless you have time & resources at hand to experience it without any fuss. God forbid but even a small accident can lead to it being parked in a service center just because the spares aren't available.

I have a question for you now, what exactly is your requirement?

A higher GC compact SUV, a fun to drive car (whether sedan or SUV) or something else. If you elaborate a little on this I'm sure you'd have a lot better inputs.
fine69 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th December 2019, 20:00   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
When my Swift was stolen my brother-in-law loaned me his Skoda Laura and after driving it for 2 odd months, I just couldn't imagine myself in a non-Skoda car anymore. Skoda indeed makes great cars but once they go bad then it can soon be your worst nightmare.

However good the Yeti is, avoid unless you have time & resources at hand to experience it without any fuss. God forbid but even a small accident can lead to it being parked in a service center just because the spares aren't available.

I have a question for you now, what exactly is your requirement?

A higher GC compact SUV, a fun to drive car (whether sedan or SUV) or something else. If you elaborate a little on this I'm sure you'd have a lot better inputs.
I will say to the comments in Fine69’s - this post - that I have experienced absolutely NONE/ NADA/ ZERO of the above issues pointed out, in my Yeti ownership of 8 full years. Stayed with the Original Dealer Service Centre throughout too. Vinayaka Skoda.

I’m not a fanboy. I am just a fully paid up user of what was and is still an excellent vehicle even if compared with the latest crop of SUV’s/ Crossovers in the market.

Like I said, 8 years and not a single rattle.

Way ahead of its time. Under appreciated in India. Incomparable when you pit it against these Korean, Chinese, Indian and Japanese cars of a similar type.

It is not as if I have tons of time and inexhaustible resources - I am also an average joe just like any one else here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive1987 View Post

-Arun
Hey Arun.
I got an used Chilli Red Mini Cooper S 1.6 Turbo Petrol. 2012 Model. Bought from a neighbour who is a Doc. It had done only 33732kms when I took it from him 3 weeks ago. I ve now done 1050kms in it. It is FUN! For me this was the achievement of a dream which I ve had since childhood - always loved the Mini.
Could only afford the toy ones all along. Finally saved and bit the bullet - but it was just NOT possible in my world, to buy a Brand new one in India.

For the record I still feel SAD that I have let go of the Yeti. I truly enjoyed that vehicle. And the ONLY reason to let that go was the MT and heavy clutch given my primary use in dirty city traffic.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 18th December 2019 at 20:43. Reason: Merged back to back posts.
shankar.balan is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th December 2019, 20:20   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will say to the comments in Fine69’s - this post - that I have experienced absolutely NONE/ NADA/ ZERO of the above issues pointed out, in my Yeti ownership of 8 full years. Stayed with the Original Dealer Service Centre throughout too. Vinayaka Skoda.
2 additional synonyms to convey that you had zero issues, why! Its ok even if you're a fanboy, how is that bad.

Mate, I'm not saying that Yeti is a bad car. In fact Optra and Cruze diesel are also great cars but because GM shut shop suddenly the ownership experience has a high probability of going bad.

Similarly, for a car that's no longer in production in the country and was never a mass-seller to begin with, its only logical that OP knows what he's getting into.

Not to mention, would you be guaranteeing OP that since you didn't face any issues, his Yeti would also have zero issues. You wouldn't.

You've mentioned the Pros of owing a Yeti like many others. OP needs to be wary of the "possible" Cons, isn't that the purpose of the forum after all.

To OP - I'd suggest please visit your nearest Skoda A.S.S and ask about critical Yeti component's availability, you'd have a quick idea of the costs and the downtime that'd be involved. Tell them you have a Yeti that needs xyz replacement or maybe a headlight assembly change etc. you know what I mean.

You may also want to try your nearby car market and get a sense of how major & minor replacements would work out, time-wise as well as cost-wise.

Again, there are always Cons of buying an unpopular car from a brand that isn't reliable to begin with. Another example is why a truly hot hatch like Abarth Punto couldn't come close to VW's GT TSI even when VW is no Maruti.
fine69 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th December 2019, 20:46   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post

To OP - I'd suggest please visit your nearest Skoda A.S.S and ask about critical Yeti component's availability, you'd have a quick idea of the costs and the downtime that'd be involved. Tell them you have a Yeti that needs xyz replacement or maybe a headlight assembly change etc. you know what I mean.
If you go over some of the earlier posts, I have indeed suggested he goes and meets two of the Senior Service Personnel whom I know personally at the Workshop. Refer my name and take their frank inputs and suggestions - and use their help in checking out the Yeti he has zeroed in on.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2019, 21:54   #15
BHPian

Skoda, Yeti, 2012 - this combo is telling me stay away.

Skoda and Yeti --- after 2015 is still ok.
Skoda and 2012 --- must be Rapid, Laura or Superb. Relatively more numbers sold than Yeti
Yeti and 2012 --- must not be a Skoda to consider buying it. Not possible.

Compass petrol is also a no. Look for used diesel XUVs, Hexa, Innova 2016 onwards.

Last edited by bharatbits : 18th December 2019 at 21:57.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks