Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

View Poll Results: Which SUV would you choose?
Kia Seltos 227 49.24%
Hyundai Creta 28 6.07%
MG Hector 21 4.56%
Tata Harrier 128 27.77%
Mahindra XUV500 30 6.51%
Other (please specify in your post) 27 5.86%
Voters: 461. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2020, 20:03   #31
BHPian

Re: Kia Seltos vs the competition

Voted for others.

Even though Compass is a pricier option, I'd still go for it as I absolutely love the vehicle. Have test driven it extensively and if I was in the market now to buy one, I would've gone for the Limited Plus 4x4 eyes closed.
The Riddler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2020, 20:15   #32
BHPian

Frankly, it really depends on one's budget.
I had already created 1 thread for Hector vs Seltos. However now seltos is completely out of consideration.

For 12-15 lakhs - Yes Seltos is a good choice.

For 20 lakhs+ - Seltos is poor value for money with questionable after sales and substandard ride quality.

I test drove Seltos, Hexa & Hector. Seltos has the worst ride quality among these three. Additionally my experience with Shreenath Kia has bee abysmal

Hector - Looks fresh and definitely better built than Kia. (My TD seltos rattled over pot holes). Unfortunately most people just ignore it assuming its Chinese car with poor quality.
Also after sales service with MG has been similar to what you can expect while buying a 20 lakh car.

Hexa - Well... I JUST LOVED THE RIDE QUALITY. Seriously. I test drove on a road where tarmac was no existant and it the ride was similar to driving on highway. No wobbling and no body roll (and this was 3 year old pre refresh Hexa!!)
Plus we have option of 4x4 or 4x2 automatic.
shashankrt is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th January 2020, 20:58   #33
BHPian

Voted for the Creta. I have two in the family and both have been trouble free to say the least.
Will vote for the Seltos once it has been around for some time and any issues with it are identified and rectified. Until then, Creta it will be.
Old 8th January 2020, 21:10   #34
BHPian

I own a xuv500. Trust me, the ride is bouncy. Drove the seltos, it was quite a firm drive. You can feel every undulation on the road.
Voted for Seltos, as its a superb package and force other cars to give us segment leading features.
Old 8th January 2020, 21:45   #35
BHPian

Voted for the Seltos.

I own one... HTK 1.5 Diesel - 12.5 lakh on road Kolkata is OK value for money wise. My budget was restricted to this. Missed out on a few things like rear wash/wipe and alloys.

I found it to have a very smooth engine, good NVH, adequate features (Apple CarPlay & Android Auto included) but the ride is jittery to say the least... especially since we have a Duster to compare it with. Electric Power steering is well modulated - light at parking speeds and weighs up quite well as speeds increase (hydraulic one on my Punto was the best for me)

If my budget permitted I would surely have gone for the HARRIER !!!
siddarthab is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2020, 22:20   #36
BANNED

I would go for Hexa. A very practical car with good ride quality. Interior quality is also really good. AT gearbox goes really well with the engine. Also TATA has priced it really well. I am still not able to understand why TATA doesn't want to continue this car 🤔
drkuldeep1998 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2020, 22:42   #37
BHPian

I voted for 'Other' since i believe one can either get Nexon XZA+ (Which i bought) and save a whole lot of money in the process while not getting too much of a step down (except for the AT variants where we have to settle for AMT instead of TC or DCT) in overall experience of the car or one can go for Hexa which provides a whole lot of more car in XTA variant and which feels atleast a couple of segments higher in mechanical specifications (while lacking in a few feel good features) for a price which is a lakh or two more than the Seltos top variants.
46TheDoctor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 07:53   #38
BHPian

Compass would have been my choice but it's not in the poll. Hexa also would be a very strong contender.

From the list voted for Harrier as I connect to Harrier in terms of values the product espouses as compared to Seltos or other listed contenders.
Old 9th January 2020, 10:22   #39
BHPian

I'd rather go with a lower end Compass than a top end Seltos/Hector/Harrier, purely for the brilliant diesel engine, amazing build and a timeless design.
pavanmadhini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 11:57   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46TheDoctor View Post
I voted for 'Other' since i believe one can either get Nexon XZA+ (Which i bought) and save a whole lot of money in the process while not getting too much of a step down (except for the AT variants where we have to settle for AMT instead of TC or DCT) in overall experience of the car or one can go for Hexa which provides a whole lot of more car in XTA variant and which feels atleast a couple of segments higher in mechanical specifications (while lacking in a few feel good features) for a price which is a lakh or two more than the Seltos top variants.
Exactly why I went for Nexon XZ+ instead of Creta or the likes almost a year back. One does not lose much in terms of space (passenger and boot) and the features are also comparable for the price and additionally one gets 5* crash rating.
when we compared for similarly speced Creta as Nexon XZ+, Creta was nearly 3.5-4L more expensive which at time did not make sense to us.
Honestly if Nexon was marketed by Hyundai it would have done almost as much as Brezza much better than Venue is currently doing.
Old 9th January 2020, 12:25   #41
BHPian

I wish Compass was there in list, but as said the pricing is way high to be here in this list. Harrier with the niggles sorted out, with better NVH and the higher power version could be the pick, till then the Seltos GT the pick for me.
Old 9th January 2020, 14:35   #42
BHPian

I am surprised to see Seltos in the top spot. Seltos is too small in flesh. The second row is too tight with so much less leg space and shoulder place. For me it looks more like a hatch than an SUV. Not sure whether people who have seen this in flesh felt the same. I saw it in our company's car park beside a Wagon R. The Wagon R was taller. How come one builds an SUV shorter than a hatchback! Understand that Wagon R is a Tallboy. Yet it is unacceptable to see an SUV shorter than a hatchback and with a second row that can't seat 3. With so much less leg space, not sure how comfortable it would be in long rides. With dark interiors and less cabin space, looks claustrophobic. Compared with a Duster that stood two cars away. That looked more like an SUV. Being sold as an SUV, if it cannot provide a better ride on bad Indian roads, then why is it being marketed as a SUV? Urban SUV is a misnomer to my taste. The variants are also confusing.
I would vote for Harrier if its niggles are sorted out. Till then XUV 500 is certainly a better bet.
Crank is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 15:59   #43
BHPian

I voted for Seltos for the features it offers and the choice of engine/ transmission options. But, I am not too happy about its pricing. So, if pricing were a concern, Creta(I own one) and XUV 500 come close 2nd and 3rd picks for me.
Old 9th January 2020, 17:27   #44
BHPian

Voted for the Harrier.

I think it is high-time that the cons section of the Harrier be revised as around half of the cons have been taken care of and Team-BHP is a forum with very wide reach. I have had the opportunity to test drive post-october manufactured Harrier 3 times recently and I think Tata has taken care of most of the niggles now.

IMO, the Seltos isn't really a Hector/Harrier/Compass competitor. It lacks the size and the road presence. Just see one on roads, it gets lost in the crowd. It is VFM in 12-16 lacks range, above which it is just a small CSUV with a lot of features and gizmos.
Candy$Cars is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2020, 17:14   #45
BHPian

Voted for Seltos. At this point of time, it seems to offer better features and complete package than compared to other products.

I think the poll should have been held after 5 or 6 months. We would have had all BS6 versions along with new launches like Creta, XUV500, Harrier etc. Then we would be in a better position to evaluate the offerings and select the right option

Most Viewed