Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which SUV would you choose?
Kia Seltos 227 49.24%
Hyundai Creta 28 6.07%
MG Hector 21 4.56%
Tata Harrier 128 27.77%
Mahindra XUV500 30 6.51%
Other (please specify in your post) 27 5.86%
Voters: 461. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2020, 18:18   #46
BHPian

It seems the time has come to compare two products at similar price points but they come with drastically different technology.

I am in the market to buy a compact SUV for a mix of city/highway use

Thinking of the top-spec Kia Diesel AT vs the Nexon EV

My heart tells me to get the EV:
  • Green factor
  • Lower running cost
  • Relatively maintenance-free
  • Refinement and silence
  • Better rear space and ride quality

But the Kia is not something the head can ignore:
  • All the features I ever wanted
  • Better resale value
  • No range anxiety
  • Excellent interiors
  • More safety equipment

So I need more perspective to narrow it down, there are rumors of the Kia EV but that could take almost a year to arrive.

Just adding two images:

Kia Seltos vs the competition-nexon.jpg

Kia Seltos vs the competition-seltos.jpg

Last edited by Sheel : 12th January 2020 at 07:50. Reason: As requested.
Furebo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2020, 18:34   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Kia Seltos vs Nexon EV

It will be a little of an apples to oranges comparison. While the current EV launches are heartening, don't think we are at a stage when we can compare them to a regular ICE car yet especially in the same segment.

You mentioned highway drives. In the current scenario the charging infrastructure is simply not there yet to comfortably undertake highway drives in an EV. Also the Nexon EV is not even on the road yet.

Apart from the green factor and the novelty factor expected with an EV, don't see any reason to wait for it over a Kia Seltos Diesel AT.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2020, 18:57   #48
BHPian

You have the charging infrastructure available in your society, you already have a Nexon Diesel AT which you can use for highway trips. You’re in the perfect position to get the EV.

The real world range of the Nexon EV should be more than enough to accommodate all your city needs and more.
Don’t think twice, the Nexon EV should be your pick. Teal colour.

Can’t wait to see it!

Last edited by DeKay : 11th January 2020 at 18:58.
DeKay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2020, 12:19   #49
BHPian

Interesting dilemma!

I personally think that if you have a car to do long hauls in, you can go ahead with the EV

The price difference is also going to be massive

Seltos prices in Mumbai will go north of ₹21L (Company registration will be more)

Nexon EV with the ₹17L indicative price and ₹1L subsidy will be much more affordable considering the fact that there is no road tax/registration on EV’s.

It is a vague comparison as the Seltos is like a segment above in terms of the product and for what it offers.

Both are solid choices depending on your needs

My vote went with the Nexon EV, I’ve booked mine already
Zappex is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2020, 13:31   #50
BHPian

Re: Kia Seltos vs the competition

Voted for XUV500 for AWD, reliability, space, practicality and better presence on road (arguably).

IMHO It is unfair to compare Seltos with others as all of the cars are going to recieve updates soon. Even after that I feel XUV500 will prove to be a better package for the same reasons as mentioned above.
Old 21st February 2020, 10:35   #51
BHPian

Which SUV to replace the Honda City

I’m planning to change my 2015 Honda City (MT) and I’d really appreciate some inputs.
Staying in Mumbai, I travel by public transport to & from work, and my Baleno RS for trivial pickup-drops etc and other family errands. There are the occasional weekend trips and drives out of Mumbai, but all-in-all, our driving radius is not more than 1000 km. This constraint is more because of time constraints than for any other reason, as we’re always on a tight schedule when we plan our vacations.
Coming back , the basic requirements I’m looking for :
-A compact/urban SUV ( After buying 2 City's over the last 10 years, I’m looking for a change of perspective)
-Automatic transmission
-Leg space comparable to Honda City ( most of the time , it’ll be driver-driven)
-Sun roof ( special request from my daughter)
-Budget of about 20L max ( total on-road. And as I buy cars in my company's name, the registration is usually on the higher side)
- Some features of Creta like Wireless charging etc , which are very useful.
- BS VI Car.
- I usually keep a car for max 5 years, so really long term performance isnt really a factor.
I’m undecided between the new upcoming Creta, the Seltos. As an outlier, I also looked at the Compass. But , while my wife loved the car, the cost for the variant we liked is upwards of 25L. I really don’t know if it’s worth the extra bucks, considering that my car usage is very light. And I’m actually open to considering the upcoming Honda City too ( I came across some news that its being launched around April this year. Is it confirmed?)

Looking for advice & suggestions.
Thanks.
Old 21st February 2020, 16:40   #52
BHPian

Re: Which SUV to replace the Honda City

I'm using a (pre-owned) Honda City, as part of my future planning I'm already more or less decided that the next vehicle will be a Duster. Co-incidentally I have come across quite a few people who have opted for Duster as the next vehicle after a City. Curious to know why that isn't on your list ? Any particular reason ?
Old 21st February 2020, 20:52   #53
BHPian

Re: Which SUV to replace the Honda City

Quote:
Originally Posted by //HB View Post
I'm using a (pre-owned) Honda City, as part of my future planning I'm already more or less decided that the next vehicle will be a Duster. Co-incidentally I have come across quite a few people who have opted for Duster as the next vehicle after a City. Curious to know why that isn't on your list ? Any particular reason ?
Valid Point.

The Duster wasn't even on the horizon when I started thinking about a replacement for the City. But with you bringing it up, the first thing I did was to refresh myself with TeamBhp's review of the relaunched Duster in 2016/2017. And almost each of the negatives listed there were really important factors for me. I guess that was why, sub-consciously, the Duster was not even considered.

Also, this thread's poll is an indirect answer to your question, isn't it? The Duster is not listed as a serious competitor in the urban compact SUV segment.

However, I respect your decision to opt for the Duster. Its got a great value-for-money proposition. And I personally know a Duster owner who swears by his vehicle and its performance.
Old 16th March 2020, 16:46   #54
BHPian

Now that Creta's pricing is out, posting this thread for my specific query. Mods - Please move/delete as appropriate.

I am planning to upgrade my 8 years old Manza in coming weeks, subject to all the current Corona virus threats settling down. My requirement is 5 seats spacious automatic SUV and top ends (or one below) only. I am open for both Petrol and Diesel options and intend to keep the car for long (8+ years).

Till some days back, I had narrowed down on Harrier AT and Seltos D AT. However recently after the TD of Harrier with Sunroof and after having a look at Creta in person, my thought process has evolved. Have ruled out the below options:

- Hector Petrol DCT (Long term reliability of DCT, not so inspiring Petrol Engine)
- Jeep Compass AT (Too pricey)

My personal views of the Options as below:

Harrier AT (XZA+)
Good
1. Stunning Looks, ample space inside, Big SUV feel and nice Interiors. The new red color is very infectious!
2. Based on my short TD, I didn't find any obvious deal breakers as far as the drive is concerned.
3. Assuming Tata has sorted out the niggles and shortcomings, I find Harrier as a strong proposition
4. 2020 Version has all the welcome additions and hoping that 170 PS will be powerful + ride quality will best in class.

Not so good
1. Almost 25 Lacs OTR For XZA+ in Pune. In isolation it may still be priced sensibly, however in comparison I feel it is still on higher side.
2. Even after spending 25 L, it still misses out on few important features viz. 360 Camera, Ventilated Seats, TPMS, Paddle shifters, EPB. There are still more misses, but I am okay without them.
3. Refinement may still not be best as compared to Seltos/Creta
4. No Petrol option at all

New Creta SX(O)
Good
1. If Creta D AT will be same as Seltos D AT, then all the pros and cons mentioned in the official TBHP review of Seltos will be applicable Creta as well. Thus I will assume that Creta D + AT will be flawless.
2. Decent space inside and in the boot area. Felt somewhat more spacious as compared to Seltos.
3. Feature loaded + Has Panoramic Sunroof (a Big plus!)
4. Interiors, though conventional, felt quite upmarket
5. Offers IVT in Top end Trim.

Not So Good
1. One size smaller than Harrier
2. The external looks are not so great. Looks better in person, however still scores low points overall in comparison to Harrier and Seltos.
3. Missing 360 Camera

Seltos D AT (GTX+)
Good
1. Handsome looks and Premium Interiors.
2. Already reviewed extensively by TBHP and is the most preferred option.
3. Feature Loaded and very silent diesel engine.

Not so good
1. One size smaller than Harrier and also felt less spacious than Creta
2. Missing Panoramic Sunroof, Paddle Shifters, EPB
3. No top end for IVT.

My dilemma
1. Is it worth spending almost ~3.5 Lacs extra for Harrier for the missing features but bigger size and more powerful engine OR Creta/Seltos D AT is still the best pick? I am not adding looks as the parameter as it can be subjective.
2. Since the price difference between Creta IVT Top end and Harrier is too big, can Creta IVT be considered as worthy alternative to Harrier? I haven't driven CVTs before and have seen very limited drive reports for Seltos IVT hence don't know how the engine performs.

My preferred choices are Harrier and (surprisingly) Creta. Seltos, while it looks handsome, has been the last choice. This mainly because less space and lack of Panoramic sunroof. I am not considering DCT options due to the concerns over long term reliability.

I would like to hear from Mods/other members based on the experiences so far. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by varman742 : 16th March 2020 at 16:53. Reason: Clarified the Requirement
varman742 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 19:27   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

With the amount of growth and new launches happening in this segment, shouldn't we update it to be in sync with the current market scenarios. Quite a lot of buyers would refer to this thread as the compact SUV in the 15-25L Rs segment is doing great despite the overall slowdown.

I would like to request the Mod team to update the Creta details in the opening post and also perhaps add the Compass and newly launched VW T-Roc to the group. Also the Harrier has seen some significant updates like addition of the AT box and panoramic sunroof. Alternatively we can start a new thread with the new entrants added to give us a more clearer picture and staying relevant.
Old 18th March 2020, 20:12   #56
BANNED

Voted for the Creta. If I were to buy a crossover for my parents, it would be the Hyundai. My mom loves the panoramic moonroof. And dad now needs an automatic. I think the 1.5 Petrol Auto would be good enough for them.

For my personal use, however, it will have to be the New 2020 Mahindra Scorpio. As their advertisement says "Nothing else will do".
Old 14th June 2020, 02:58   #57
BHPian

Hyundai Creta Vs Kia Seltos Vs Jeep Compass Vs MG Hector

Now, I know I can go through several other threads to bottom it down as it's an extremely repetitive topic and I am sure most of you would be bored talking about it by now. In my case though, there is a little catch as the priorities are different. Trust me when I say this, I didn't wanted to begin this thread in the first place but I am mighty confused and would definitely like some insights on the same. So, let me put down the requirements:-

Budget: 15 - 18 Lakhs (On Road)
Body Type: Crossovers Only
Seating: 5 Seaters
Fuel Type: Petrol
Transmission: Automatic
User: Father & Family, Generally will be driven by my father or me When I am in Kolkata. Sometimes Chauffeur driven.
Variants: My Father is extremely fussy about this, he doesn't even looks at Lower variants of a vehicle as it feels like a compromise to him hence the top end or top -1 Only. He loves his car with as much creature comfort one can get!
New / Pre Owned - New! Dad doesn't prefers Pre Owned vehicles.
Running:- Around 6-7 kms Per Annum.
Some Must Have Features: Push Button Start, Nice Stereo, Rear Wash wipe, Good Back seat Comfort, Powerful Head lamps, Easy Ingress & Egress (My mom & Grand mom has arthritis)
Performance: Quick Acceleration & we are good to go! The priority is comfort & Features here.
Mileage: Don't care! The car won't be clocking much kms, around 6-7k kms per annum.
Duration: Long Term Buy (Easily going to stay for 7-8 Years)

Now, coming to the options:-

1) Kia Seltos:-

• Smashing Design
• The HTX IVT is the most affordable at 15.9 Lakh On Road & is fairly well loaded.
• Well Equipped
• Hyundai Underneath, Will be Reliable.

2) Hyundai Creta:-

The car which has created the main confusion here. It's an extremely tough choice to one among the siblings.

• The SX comes with some great goodies! Electronic Hand Brake & Panoramic Sunroof.
• Polarising Design, We have a mixed opinion on the same. If picked, I think I will go with a darker shade to hide the busy rear.
• Thanks to being associated with Hyundai since 2001, After sales service is never a problem hence maintenance will be easy.
• Overpriced! The SX IVT is retailing at 16.7 followed by SX(O) priced at 17.9 (Same for DCT SX). Moreover, spending such money on a 115 HP vehicle?! The market indeed is in shambles.

3) MG Hector:-

• Dad doesn't mind driving one. He likes the overall design though not a fan of the huge Touchscreen in the centre.
• Questionable Reliability of DCT & Petrol Engine
• It's Chinese!
• Not as refined as the competitors
• Well Equipped & Extremely Spacious.
• Looks like a Proper traditional SUV hence Road Presence.

4) Jeep Compass:-

• The Best Built Out of the Lot
• Excellent Ride Quality & Handling
• Decently Equipped (Targeting Longitude Plus only)
• Expensive Limited Plus
• FCA's questionable Service
• Oldest in the Lot Now
• Reliability Issues & Niggles
• Petrol is guzzler, Mileage is not a priority but again 5-6 kmpl is not something we would be comfortable with.
• Not as Spacious as Hector or Creta

Now, I don't know what to pick & Dad wants me to finalise the vehicle. All the cars above has it's own set of Pros and Cons though to be very honest, I feel the Seltos & Creta to be the most appealing but then again 16 - 17 Lakhs for a 115 HP car?
Both my Civic & Altis were cheaper than this offering 140 HP! Moreover, Creta is better equipped but Seltos is the more VFM here due to the lower price tag but then again I am compromising on the back seat experience in Seltos. In short, I am in a major dilemma and would definitely appreciate some help here!

P.S: Not considering ant diesel due to low running along with my dad being extremely particular about the brands he uses hence products like Mahindra XUV500, Nissan Kicks & Tata Harrier were straight out of the list.

Thank You & Cheers!
Old 14th June 2020, 03:28   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Creta Vs Kia Seltos Vs Jeep Compass Vs MG Hector

Quote:
Originally Posted by YashD View Post

Budget: 15 - 18 Lakhs (On Road)
Body Type: Crossovers Only
Seating: 5 Seaters
Fuel Type: Petrol
Transmission: Automatic
I feel the Seltos & Creta to be the most appealing but then again 16 - 17 Lakhs for a 115 HP car?
The Seltos GTX DCT will suffice your need at it's best. Though it will overshoot the above mentioned budget by a Lakh, but still it's worth it. Moreover you wont regret of driving a 115 HP car, instead you will be enjoying a 140 HP hoot to drive car!

Last edited by Samba : 14th June 2020 at 03:35.
Samba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2020, 03:35   #59
BHPian

I'd say go for Hyundai Creta, if the polarising looks aren't an issue for you! Jeep Compass will anyday be a better drive, but also more expensive! Plus Creta is at the start of it's model lifecycle.

Have a look at the Autocar Review:

They also suggested Creta if backseat is a priority.
bansal.sushant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2020, 10:36   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
The Seltos GTX DCT will suffice your need at it's best. Though it will overshoot the above mentioned budget by a Lakh, but still it's worth it. Moreover you wont regret of driving a 115 HP car, instead you will be enjoying a 140 HP hoot to drive car!
GTX DCT has been discontinued for MY 2020 updated models.
sv97 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks