Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which SUV would you choose?
Kia Seltos 227 49.24%
Hyundai Creta 28 6.07%
MG Hector 21 4.56%
Tata Harrier 128 27.77%
Mahindra XUV500 30 6.51%
Other (please specify in your post) 27 5.86%
Voters: 461. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2020, 08:31   #76
BHPian

Re: New car advice - Kia Seltos vs alternative

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
I drive a pre-owned Hyundai i20 Sportz (Petrol) since 2010. My usage of this car is extremely low. I need a car specially for Mumbai-Surat or Mumbai-Pune highway drives (once every 2 months). City usage is not high due to proximity to the workplace.

My current car is giving a lot of mechanical issues and instead of plonking more money in repairs, I want to get a new car. More than the money is the trust one has in the car. I am not sure whether I can trust my car to not give up on me during my highway runs to meet the folks. Also, during these Covid times, having a car is a must.
[list=1][*]My budget is 15L on-road in Mumbai.[*]To be used by 3-4 passengers (family) for highway runs.[*]Typically drive between 90-110 on the highway with family and do 'spirited' runs only when I am alone. [*]Boot space is very important as I carry a lot of stuff during my highway runs (luggage, etc.)[*]City usage is minimal (maybe around 200 kms per month at best)[*]Was prefering a SUV (high ground clearance so that can take a road less traveled when going to village/farms/potholed kaccha roads. Although this is not a necessity considering that I was doing all that in an i20![*]Prefer mechanical reliability over everything else considering how i20 has failed me lately[*]Would prefer to stick to Hyundai, Kia, Honda and avoid Maruti. They make good cars, but the overall finishing does not matches the previous three. Again my personal opinion based on the cars I've driven. I am sure Maruti has it's share of happy users. But it's not for me.
When you say you want a new car, do you mean a brand new car or another car? The reason I ask is, with your budget, you could be comfortably placed to get a reliable used car/suv from a few segments higher than your present vehicle. As an example, https://www.olx.in/mumbai_g4058997/c...n_2014_to_2020

Since you prefer mechanical reliability over everything else, my recommendation to you is to stick to Japanese manufacturers, specifically Toyota & Honda in your case, since you have vetoed Suzuki for obvious reasons.

You have experienced first hand how ‘well‘ Korean cars age mechanically, even with your low running. So put your thinking cap on, if you still want to consider another Korean manufacturer (sister brand with unknown long term reliability). Do you want to be the guinea pig to test the long term reliability of the Kia? Do you want to be in this exact same position 5-10yrs from now? https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...-response.html (Hyundai India - The occasional serious quality lapse and apathetic manufacturer response!)

Coming to which car, it’s completely up to you. The Jazz/WRV/City/Yaris should be on your radar if you want a new car. On the other hand, if you’re open to buying used cars, look out for 4-7yr old Corollas, CRVs & Fortuners. They have bulletproof reliability and maintenance should be relatively cheap compared to the competition.

You may want to have a look at this thread to get another perspective on your decision. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-...-v-tucson.html (New C2-segment SUV (Creta, Seltos) vs used Premium SUV (CR-V, Tucson))

Last edited by ChoosetoCruze : 24th August 2020 at 08:35.
ChoosetoCruze is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2020, 08:42   #77
BHPian

My picks in decreasing preference would be
  1. Hyundai Creta
  2. Tata Harrier/Kia Seltos
  3. Honda City

This is because the Creta is more spacious and feature rich than all the three though the design still remains personal perspective.

If you don't like the Creta, my pick would be The Harrier for its better engine and driveability and its muscle more SUV-ish character than the Seltos.

I also have included in the list, The Honda City which remains my absolute favourite and is a driving pleasure for its NA Ivtec engine.

All 3 are feature rich and ticks the correct boxes in terms of your requirements. If I would have been in your place, I will still go for the City because of the highway cruising you have mentioned.
Cruising the highway in a Sedan is not matched by any of the SUV's IMO.

Last edited by chiefpk : 24th August 2020 at 08:44.
Old 24th August 2020, 08:56   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Need recommendations on Kia Seltos and what alternatives do I have? Would be continuing my research on this forum but would really appreciate some help.
If you are okay with buying Toyota vehicles, please do check the latest entrant to the small SUV segment too

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...0-21-a-13.html (Toyota to launch Urban Cruiser (rebadged Vitara Brezza) in FY 2020-21)

https://www.toyotabharat.com/showroom/urbancruiser/

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 24th August 2020, 12:22   #79
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Since you have mentioned mechanical reliability over everything else, you cannot go wrong with the New Honda City VX MT which will comfortably fit in your 15 lakh on-road budget. Car comes with 6 airbags & is a proven performer. Seltos/Creta variants with 6 airbags will cost around 19 lakhs minimum.
Old 24th August 2020, 13:26   #80
BHPian

I would like to recommend Nissan Kicks 1.3 L turbo petrol. Since you will be using it mainly for the highway trips, you can try its manual version. It is mechanically very sound, you can go for 5 years extended warranty too. Since it’s based on Duster, it has a pretty good ride quality. The big negative I see is after sales service. You may check the reviews of Nissan service centre in Mumbai.
Out of the features you mentioned that you love to have, it doesn’t have Auto fold ORVM and dead pedal.
Old 24th August 2020, 13:38   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Try as much as I can, I am not able to get used to the new Creta looks. I'd have loved to stay with the Hyundai family (just for their service coverage)
...Would prefer to stick to Hyundai, Kia, Honda and avoid Maruti.....

Honda City is great, but I've never driven large sedans and I believe it'd go more than 15L on road. However I don't mind evaluating this.
As PPS says, City with 6 airbags should on top of your list. Do check out the S-Cross once, it doesn’t feel like a Maruti.

You only spend time inside the car looking and touching bits of the interior - so do reconsider the Creta in a dark color like black, especially if you get a good deal.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 24th August 2020 at 13:40.
Old 25th August 2020, 19:31   #82
BHPian

Re: Kia Seltos vs the competition

Thank you for the suggestions. The more I think about it, the more I am leaning towards Creta despite it's looks. As someone mentioned, I'll be spending more time inside it than outside it staring at it. If I am getting all the safety features, network of service centres, etc. within my budget, I'd definitely evaluate it.
Old 29th August 2020, 20:33   #83
BHPian

Re: Kia Seltos vs the competition

Just a quick update. Am throwing the Verna also into the mix. Has a better ground clearance and the 1 litre turbo dct seems to be getting good reviews. Surprisingly our forum does not have the official review yet. That would have been very helpful. I've never driven auto cars and I've also read about these negative reviews around dct/dsg.
Old 21st September 2020, 09:55   #84
BHPian

Buying a new car in 2021!

Over the last 15-16 years we’ve been Honda customers. Had two Citys and one Brio. Replaced the 2004 City GX with a 2012 City CVT. Been happy-ish for the most part. Except for the Brio- love the ease of driving it but not so much the underpowered 2nd gear. Also, the build quality of the Brio has been poor. Rain water seepage (in the 3rd year) from both sides of the roof has been a disappointment. Not sure if that’s an indication of Honda going downhill.

Currently looking to replace 2012 Honda City CVT. The daily commute is about 20-25km. Mostly bumper to bumper Mumbai traffic. So, the natural thing would be to just trade in with the 2020 Honda CVT.

But...and here is the rub, Honda (and Toyota for that matter) has been a disappointment in terms of their newer launches and I can’t help but wonder if the other’s (Koreans) have caught up with them in quality. Of course when I see a 8 year old Honda City parked next to a similar age Verna the difference in build quality is clear to see. But I wonder if, while Honda was static, the Koreans have stepped up their game. They most certainly have in the options they are putting out.

I have also been debating going into Compact SUV territory. Would have been a simple decision if Honda had a product in that category. I would categorise requirements from the new are as follows:

Budget- around 15 lac OTR in Mumbai.
Requirement- Automatic transmission.
Mostly city driving with a couple of outstation (400-500kms) trips a year.

So here are the choices I am trying to narrow down to.

Honda City- this is a no brainier. Pros and cons are well known to me.

Kia Seltos AT- I like the shape and size but not entirely sure about the build quality and long term ownership reviews of KIA are yet to come in. Don’t know if FE is about the same as Honda City, which is poor at 8.8 KMPL on our car.

Hyundai Creta - Everything to like except for the name.

Tata Harrier AT- pricier than I’d like but looks good.

Renault Duster AT- Seems outdated but I read good things about the new turbo engine.

Am I missing anything? Would you recommend anything different?
MadinMumbai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 10:59   #85
Senior - BHPian

Re: Buying a new car in 2021!

With 15 Lakhs budget, I dont think any of the cars you mentioned will provide you the higher models with automatic gear box.

Why are you planning to sell the city? Its an absolutely perfect all-rounder car (if you like the CVT, I bought one and sold the same within a year because I hated the CVT).

Just spend one lakh to "Modernize your car" (read, in Honda's language, change tail lights, bumpers and alloys). You will have the 2019 city within one lakh budget!!
2000rpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 11:05   #86
BANNED

For a strict budget of ₹15 lakh OTR, only City can be recommended. The Harrier and Seltos cross ₹16 lakh and Duster is a no go due to it being very old now. If sedan is not a priority the upcoming i20 and Altroz will be getting an automatic. It’s really sad that there are very few good and newer automatic in that price. I myself is waiting for Nexon or Altroz automatic (non AMT).
The Rationalist is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 11:15   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadinMumbai View Post
--
Am I missing anything? Would you recommend anything different?
Give a look at the products from ŠKODA AUTO Volkswagen India as they have their INDIA 2.0 projects lined up from 2021( first quarter)
Old 21st September 2020, 11:25   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Give a look at the products from ŠKODA AUTO Volkswagen India as they have their INDIA 2.0 projects lined up from 2021( first quarter)
Over the years I have read horror stories about Skoda ad VW after sales service on this forum. I would rather wait for them to improve their reputation before buying from them.
MadinMumbai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 16:31   #89
BHPian

Replacement for 2011 Innova

Hey guys,

Planning to replace our pre-worshipped 2011 Innova VX next year with a crossover like Seltos/Creta or with another Innova.We bought the 2011 Innova as pre-worshipped in 2016 when it was just 76000 Kms on the odo,from a close acquaintance.Now,the present odo of our Innova is shade more than 1.65L Kms.

The reason for selling our present Innova is because it became bit old but its engine and exterior looks fine but it's giving a poor FE of 9-10 Kmpl in city limits,while on highways,it gives around 11-12 Kmpl.Hence,we are planning to replace our Innova and get a newer car.

Our budget is Rs.20L as of now but willing to extend the budget upto Rs.25L.

Cars we are considering are:

1.Kia Seltos Diesel MT/AT
2.Hyundai Creta MT/AT
3.Toyota Innova Crysta MT/AT

We are even open to used but after seeing the ROI on used car loans,we felt it is better to go for a new one.

And,our daily running is around 60-100 Kms a day and will be having occasional highway drives with us crossing the states.Already,the Innova,which we have,crossed the states like Andhra Pradesh,Tamil Nadu several times and most of the time,the car is chauffeur driven.
car_guy1998 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 17:41   #90
BHPian

Re: Replacement for 2011 Innova

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_guy1998 View Post
The reason for selling our present Innova is because it became bit old but its engine and exterior looks fine but it's giving a poor FE of 9-10 Kmpl in city limits,while on highways,it gives around 11-12 Kmpl.Hence,we are planning to replace our Innova and get a newer car.
Is that the real reason for selling an Innova?! Fuel efficiency? It makes no sense! The Innova was never made to be fuel efficient, it was made to carry people around in comfort (which it’s still doing as you mention)

Rather than wasting your hard earned money on another less(?) capable vehicle, if I were you, I’d get your present Innova a full service/tuneup, replace all fluids if you haven’t been maintaining it well, get 4 new tyres with low rolling resistance & regularly clean/replace the air filter.

Now if the reason for replacing it is vanity/need an AT/etc, that’s for another discussion. But because an Innova isn’t fuel efficient..?!

Last edited by ChoosetoCruze : 13th October 2020 at 17:44.
ChoosetoCruze is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks