Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

View Poll Results: Which SUV would you choose?
Kia Seltos 227 49.24%
Hyundai Creta 28 6.07%
MG Hector 21 4.56%
Tata Harrier 128 27.77%
Mahindra XUV500 30 6.51%
Other (please specify in your post) 27 5.86%
Voters: 461. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2020, 17:48   #91
BHPian

Re: Replacement for 2011 Innova

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoosetoCruze View Post
Is that the real reason for selling an Innova?! Fuel efficiency? It makes no sense! The Innova was never made to be fuel efficient, it was made to carry people around in comfort (which it’s still doing as you mention)

Rather than wasting your hard earned money on another less(?) capable vehicle, if I were you, I’d get your present Innova a full service/tuneup, replace all fluids if you haven’t been maintaining it well, get 4 new tyres with low rolling resistance & regularly clean/replace the air filter.

Now if the reason for replacing it is vanity, that’s for another discussion. But because an Innova isn’t fuel efficient..?!
Thanks!Have already spent a lot last year by getting new tyres,new seat covers and clutch and brake pads along with timing belt and is running well.

But,in June 2020,the car had met with an accident,which resulted in replacing the RHS door windows replaced and spent Rs.35k on it.But,luckily had insurance and spent only Rs.10k from pocket while rest had been covered by the insurance company.

With increasing service bills,we felt that its the time to bid goodbye to our Innova and buy something new.

My temptation of having new car replacing the Innova is increasing day by day after seeing new car launches.

And,in fact,we've been offered Rs.8L if we sell off our Innova now.
car_guy1998 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 17:49   #92

The Creta and Seltos aren’t really cars meant to be chauffeur driven. Also has your purpose changed ? Why are you moving down from a seven seater to a five seater that is barely comfortable to seat 5 adults ? Does your driving involve bad roads ? Then Seltos is out. You need to provide more background here for some useful advise from the forum since you’re comparing SUVs and MUVs which is quite weird.

Last edited by Gokuljayaraj : 13th October 2020 at 18:08. Reason: Spelling
Gokuljayaraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 18:11   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoosetoCruze View Post
Is that the real reason for selling an Innova?! Fuel efficiency? It makes no sense!
I agree, the difference between interest servicing on a new car and the high(er) bills on the old one will be miniscule if any.

You want a new car because you find this one old and have an itch - Agreed!

Get a new Innova Crysta. Only that would be a comfortable highway muncher with a chauffeur. The rest of the cars you mentioned are barely made for 5 people.

Tapish
Tapish is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 18:19   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokuljayaraj View Post
The Creta and Seltos aren’t really cars meant to be chauffeur driven. Also has your purpose changed ? Why are you moving down from a seven seated to a five seater that is barely comfortable to seat 5 adults ? Does your driving involve bad roads ? Then Seltos is out. You need to provide more background here for some useful advise from the forum since you’re comparing SUVs and MUVs which is quite weird.
Yes,we drive often on bad roads and yes,I'm aware of the suspension of Seltos.

And,my dad owns few educational institutions in Hyderabad and in other places within our state and does some social services too at our hometown too and yes,our background involves lots of travelling too.Due to his background,many are suggesting my dad to go for Innova Crysta.But,I'm hell bent on making him get a Creta or Seltos even though it is not suitable for chauffeur driving.

Our family consists of 4 including driver.But,sometimes,we pickup my aunts(dad's own sisters) along with my cousins and my grandmother whenever we go for a function or hometown sometimes.But,since the Covid,attending functions has been reduced.Thats the reason I'm telling my dad to replace the Innova with a 5 seater Crossover or C-SUV as Crysta is expensive to own.

Even now,my mom swears a lot about the AC of our Innova and she says that,AC in Innova is way chiller than our another car,Honda City.
Old 13th October 2020, 22:34   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_guy1998 View Post
The reason for selling our present Innova is because it became bit old but its engine and exterior looks fine but it's giving a poor FE of 9-10 Kmpl in city limits,while on highways,it gives around 11-12 Kmpl....

Our budget is Rs.20L as of now but willing to extend the budget upto Rs.25L.

....the car is chauffeur driven.
Quote:
But,in June 2020,the car had met with an accident,which resulted in replacing the RHS door windows replaced and spent Rs.35k on it.But,luckily had insurance and spent only Rs.10k from pocket while rest had been covered by the insurance company.

With increasing service bills,we felt that its the time to bid goodbye to our Innova and buy something new.

My temptation of having new car replacing the Innova is increasing day by day after seeing new car launches.
I'm going to give you left brained advice here: Don't sell the car. It doesn't seem like you MUST have an AT as the car is chauffeur driven. Also, you've just poured a lot of money into the maintenance & accessories. If the clutch & other wear & tear parts needs to be changed frequently, it is time to fire your driver, not change the car. If you feel Toyota service is ripping you off, go to a trusted FNG. The FE you have mentioned is standard for Innova with 40k or 400k km on the ODO.

Invest the money and let it grow for 3-4 years. After that, you won't need to stretch for the Innova ZX and can buy cars better than the Creta/Seltos. Creta/Seltos are a downgrade from the Innova in terms of space IMHO - I'd not suggest this unless the family is keen on downsizing.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 13th October 2020 at 22:41.
landcruiser123 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 00:13   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys,

The reason for selling our present Innova is because it became bit old but its engine and exterior looks fine but it's giving a poor FE of 9-10 Kmpl in city limits,while on highways,it gives around 11-12 Kmpl.Hence,we are planning to replace our Innova and get a newer car.
I recently had the same itch and upgraded my car. But, in my case the upgrade was from a Vento to a Karoq in what is a single occupant driven car 99%. I had the same mindset as you, i had spent a lot on getting the suspension, tyres and some other parts changed at 1.2 lakh kms. Trust me after these expenses your car can last a lot longer.
Mine could have lasted for another 75,000Km easily but i wanted the CBU Karoq not the CKD one.

Plus it is a chauffeur driven car, you don’t need it to be fun. My advice would be to keep around 1 lakh or maybe 1.5 lakh As a budget and get around on making your car as good as new. Do the following

1. Get new Seat covers (Bucket fitting Leather preferably)

2. Paint / dent any panels that require them, get this done from a reputed FNG, don’t go to a A.S.S.

3. Visit something like Detailing Mafia or 3M Car Care and get your car brand new.

4. Get any squeaks and rattled looked at and fixed.

5. Maybe grad a new pair of Aftermarket Headlights (Dual Projector ones) and Tail Lights.

6. Do a Engine flush + also use some diesel additive for some time to smoothen the engine and improve efficiency.

Do all this and you will have a car that’s almost brand new in feel.

BUT, if you have a new car itch, nothing other than a new car will achieve it. Do these things only if you will keep it for another 3-5 years.

Otherwise go for the Crysta, I have a 2018 Creta and, It is not a car for the chauffeur driven. Neither is the Kia Seltos and neither is the Skoda Karoq.

Either go for the Crysta or keep your current car and refresh it.

Last edited by Schneller : 14th October 2020 at 00:14.
Schneller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 00:43   #97
Senior - BHPian

Just one simple advice my friend - only an Innova can replace an Innova. When to replace is your choice.
self_driven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 08:44   #98
BHPian

Re: Kia Seltos vs the competition

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Will try to keep the Innova as long as possible. But, my dad is in two minds - whether we should sell off the Innova or not. Due to covid situation, we have been not able to purchase any new vehicles.

Few of dad’s friends are telling him to sell off the Innova as it has become old and a fuel guzzler, while a few people are telling us to keep this car as it can run for another lakh of Kms easily. They were like, "The car is in good condition, right? Then why do you want to sell it off?"

We had the Fortuner in mind, but it’s expensive and not as comfortable as Innova according to my dad.

Had told my dad that I would get the Android stereo or others from brands like Pioneer and Sony if we keep this car for at least 1 or 2 years. Let’s see what my dad says about upgrading the audio in our Innova.

If the itch to upgrade to a new car doesn’t go down well, will get the audio system upgraded.

Last edited by Aditya : 15th October 2020 at 06:47. Reason: Grammar, punctuation
Old 14th October 2020, 12:52   #99
Senior - BHPian

“Friends” who don’t know about cars will suggest multiple things.

I’d suggest keeping the car. Also, if you currently have a bench seat, explore options to convert it into a captain seat.
landcruiser123 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 13:43   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
“Friends” who don’t know about cars will suggest multiple things.

I’d suggest keeping the car. Also, if you currently have a bench seat, explore options to convert it into a captain seat.
Thanks for the suggestion bro. BTW, our Innova has a bench seat,which my parents find comfortable. I tried to convert it into captain seats, but here, the RC needs to be changed if we convert it. That's the reason we haven’t looked at these options till now.

Last edited by Aditya : 15th October 2020 at 07:03. Reason: Language
car_guy1998 is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 11th March 2021, 20:32   #101
BANNED

Nissan Kicks XV Premium CVT or Kia Seltos HTX (Petrol)

Just for your information, I have already booked Seltos HTX. Now during the long waiting period I happened to test drive Nissan Kicks.

While I felt Kia Seltos interiors and gizmos feel premium than Kicks, I felt Nissan Kicks CVT Engine really awesome in terms of response, pickup, overall feel is much better than silky Seltos. Suspension also really good in Kicks, breaking was smooth(Seltos bit hard), wheel base, dimensions seems to be bigger than Seltos. Since both are Automatic, I never have to live with the gear shifting issues some have reported here in MT.

Coming to interiors, instruments, convenience and comfort, Seltos rules the infotainment while Nissan may look slightly dated though its instrument clusters were very function though not intuitive but you get used to it after sometime, I think. Upholstery, Seltos seems to be good, but for Nissan they didn’t show me a proper vehicle in terms of final looking interiors wrt upholstery.

In Kicks, there is no tyre pressure monitor, no rear sunshade curtains (Kicks has all round TINTED glass which I feel better than a curtain), no mood lighting’s (!!), no rear passenger USB charger, no air purifier, no Sunroof (I never wanted in Seltos but it was inevitable to have it in this model), no chrome fittings, limited on wheel controls.

Whereas, in Kicks they have machinised alloy wheels, auto engine stop-on, tinted glasses, good sound system, 5 years maintenance free, glove box with cooling. Safety rating higher than Seltos. Most importantly, it seems to be available for delivery lot quicker if I book now. They say it is 2021 model around ₹18 lakhs on road

Now I wanted to check with you folks whether Kicks is worth a vehicle to own what will be the mileage of CVT in city and on highways? Any other issues apart from service related ones?
Old 12th March 2021, 06:13   #102
Senior - BHPian

Re: Nissan Kicks XV Premium CVT or Kia Seltos HTX (Petrol)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramchi View Post
Just for your information, I have already booked Seltos HTX. Now during the long waiting period I happened to test drive Nissan Kicks.

While I felt Kia Seltos interiors and gizmos feel premium than Kicks, I felt Nissan Kicks CVT Engine really awesome in terms of response, pickup, overall feel is much better than silky Seltos. Suspension also really good in Kicks, breaking was smooth(Seltos bit hard), wheel base, dimensions seems to be bigger than Seltos. Since both are Automatic, I never have to live with the gear shifting issues some have reported here in MT.

Coming to interiors, instruments, convenience and comfort, Seltos rules the infotainment while Nissan may look slightly dated though its instrument clusters were very function though not intuitive but you get used to it after sometime, I think. Upholstery, Seltos seems to be good, but for Nissan they didn’t show me a proper vehicle in terms of final looking interiors wrt upholstery.

In Kicks, there is no tyre pressure monitor, no rear sunshade curtains (Kicks has all round TINTED glass which I feel better than a curtain), no mood lighting’s (!!), no rear passenger USB charger, no air purifier, no Sunroof (I never wanted in Seltos but it was inevitable to have it in this model), no chrome fittings, limited on wheel controls.

Whereas, in Kicks they have machinised alloy wheels, auto engine stop-on, tinted glasses, good sound system, 5 years maintenance free, glove box with cooling. Safety rating higher than Seltos. Most importantly, it seems to be available for delivery lot quicker if I book now. They say it is 2021 model around ₹18 lakhs on road

Now I wanted to check with you folks whether Kicks is worth a vehicle to own what will be the mileage of CVT in city and on highways? Any other issues apart from service related ones?
Rather than the Kicks CVT itself, you need to mentally comfort yourself about making a long term purchase decision on a Nissan car. They have been on the brink for the past one year at least, and only now because of the early success of the Magnite, they are looking at redeeming themselves. So from a 5 year perspective, you need to think about that. Other than that, I think the Kicks would be a great buy, covering all essentials but no-frills. You could also look at the corresponding Renault Duster, which, apart from its somewhat outdated looking interior, is mechanically one of the most sorted cars in this segment. At least Renault has a better presence in the Indian market since the past 4-5 years because of the acceptance of Duster, Kwid, Triber and now the initial response to the Kiger (which you can also look at ).
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed