Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 20th January 2020, 15:40   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Which 4x4 AT SUV? Ford Endeavour 3.2 vs Jeep Compass

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHANKY11 View Post
Hello BHPians!!

I am currently in a big dilemma. I have been planning to buy an Endeavour 3.2 this year. Let me list out my requirements to give you some perspective on this decision-
Please also consider Isuzu MUX 4x4 AT. I think you will be able to get it around ~27L. It is a gem and ride quality is much better than both of the options being consider.
purohitanuj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th January 2020, 16:04   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by purohitanuj View Post
Please also consider Isuzu MUX 4x4 AT. I think you will be able to get it around ~27L. It is a gem and ride quality is much better than both of the options being consider.
A friend also suggested this option. My understanding is that this brand is not well established/ well-perceived in our market. Also the new face looks weird to me.
Old 20th January 2020, 16:18   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
To be honest, its a through and through "desire" case. I love the looks of both the vehicles and can easily afford both. However, I am trying to get a sense of what's more practical.
All right, then! With that sorted out, the Ford is a no-brainer as it trumps the Jeep in all aspects, barring the size and fuel efficiency. If you are okay with these two, just go for the Ford with eyes closed.
cool_dube is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2020, 16:54   #19
BHPian

Like many of the comments, I too agree that both are the most capable vehicles in their repsective price ranges and if i were on the lookout for a SUV in this price bracket, these 2 would be on my radar as primary contenders for sure. However, I believe if you do have the budget, strech it for the endevour but not the current gen. As per latest news, i heard that the 2.0 litre bi-turbo variant will make its way to India and if it is true, it will be vastly superior to both the offerings that currently exists for the Endevour. Dont get me wrong, the 3.2 is one brute of an engine but that sheer brute also applies in fuel consuption which may not be ideal in our current fuel-price scenario. Hence, I would say wait for the Bi-turbo variant thats due very soon. Compass, by the way, is a great machine but after paying 30 lakhs for it, you should be weary of Hectors and Harriers whizzing past, gloating at paying 30-40% lesser price for bigger, more modern and feature loaded machines with basically the exact the same engine.
Fury is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2020, 17:09   #20
BHPian

I see you are confused with the Endeavour 3.2 or the Compass 2.0! What if I suggest a mid-point of Endeavour 2.2 AT BS4?

What ever you decide, do it quick as both Endy 3.2 or 2.2 are BS4 and will be replaced by a 2.0 twin turbo BS6

NOTE FROM SUPPORT - Please do NOT use acronyms (e.g. ANHC, T-Fort, ANHV) when referring to cars. You are ONLY permitted to use the full Make & Model name for cars. This will make our content useful, searchable & easy-to-understand for experts & newbies alike.

Any further usage of acronyms will invite Moderator action on your account.

Thanks!

Last edited by Sheel : 20th January 2020 at 17:23. Reason: Mod note attached.
AirWind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2020, 17:11   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The Compass Trailhawk gives me a proper 4x4 system
You have already got a lot of responses, so will not get into much details. But just to let you know, Compass Trailhawk does not have a proper 4x4 system if you meant low range gearbox by that statement. Otherwise, it is a competent vehicle and build quality is fantastic.
Between Endeavour and Compass, I would go for Endeavour as it is more capable and value for money. Trailhawk is way overpriced for what it offers.
BlackPearl is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2020, 17:16   #22
BHPian

Quote:
I dont think cruising at 120 kmph will be a problem in either of these. That said, I drive in a very relaxed manner on the highways and rarely go above 100 kmph.
That is the point i made. while you drive in a relaxed manner, you will be faster in compass. otherwise alto can also cruise at 120.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
Compass, by the way, is a great machine but after paying 30 lakhs for it, you should be weary of Hectors and Harriers whizzing past, gloating at paying 30-40% lesser price for bigger, more modern and feature loaded machines with basically the exact the same engine.

Come on, Hectors/Harriers wont even close in, let alone go past. But they will go past Endeavour in that sense. Even with the features too. Both the factors are immaterial though.

NOTE FROM SUPPORT - Please do NOT use acronyms (e.g. ANHC, T-Fort, ANHV) when referring to cars. You are ONLY permitted to use the full Make & Model name for cars. This will make our content useful, searchable & easy-to-understand for experts & newbies alike.

Any further usage of acronyms will invite Moderator action on your account.

Thanks!

Last edited by Sheel : 20th January 2020 at 17:24. Reason: Mod note attached.
blackbeast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2020, 17:34   #23
BHPian

Please do hire that zoomcar for a few days to experience the size of the Endeavour. There is no doubt that the Endeavour is a superior car and is better VFM but I have seen my neighbours struggle with its size and ending up with a second car. And if its the Endeavour, it would be worth your while to wait for the 2.0 twin-turbo version.

I got my limited plus 2.0D a year ago and in my opinion, the compass has been a very easy car to drive around in the city, has been serious fun on the highways and has been easy on the wallet (11 kmpl in the city and 15-16 kmpl).

Either way, you are unlikely to go wrong with either! Just depends on what you'd be more comfortable living with.
clementj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th January 2020, 20:28   #24
BHPian

Dear Shanky11, do take a extended test drive of both the cars in varied conditions viz. city,highways, off-road. Give them a whip and see for yourself what puts a smile on your face. Then consider your requirements and needs. I myself own a compass and one of my cousin owns a Endeavour. Both are good in their own ways. For example my use is mostly on highways driving alone 90 percent time, primary consideration driving feel and fuel efficiency too. I can say that I am happy with my purchase as many times I have taken it to unmentionable speeds along with getting excellent fuel efficiency. You can't get these both in a Endeavour. Then what is its exact use for you. You are going to spend 10 lakh more on car just for showing off because you will not be using its virtues or good things as these are not needed by you. This is just my take as a lot of my friends have asked me why I have not bought a Fortuner or Innova instead and in my mind I laugh and say I didn't need one. So I would suggest go with your heart and consider your usage.
If you consider Endeavour I would suggest you to wait and go for the one with new 2.0 engine as it would be more agile being lighter and also more quicker and powerful .

Last edited by Sandeep500 : 20th January 2020 at 20:37.
Sandeep500 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2020, 21:03   #25
Senior - BHPian

Doesn't the Tucson fit your requirements perfectly? Well rounded product, diesel AT, small footprint and AWD for those tricky situations.

It isn't a serious off roader but I doubt you need one for your usage.

Finally, since you're worried about after sales, Hyundai definitely trumps Ford and Jeep there.

Last edited by McLaren Rulez : 20th January 2020 at 21:04.
Old 20th January 2020, 21:11   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Doesn't the Tucson fit your requirements perfectly? Well rounded product, diesel AT, small footprint and AWD for those tricky situations.

It isn't a serious off roader but I doubt you need one for your usage.

Finally, since you're worried about after sales, Hyundai definitely trumps Ford and Jeep there.
The big question is does it have the desirability quotient? Does your heart want that one? Is it enjoyable to drive? Does it blur the segments above and below it? Answer these in your mind and you come to the conclusion.
Sandeep500 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2020, 22:34   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Hello BHPians!!

Please help me out in this decision.
I would like to point out some key points here before coming to the conclusion:

1. Typically monocoque soft roaders have better ride quality - flatter with less body movements on eneven roads. Compass is known for a great ride quality. So, compass has the advantage here.

2. While touring extensively as well as in the city, the size of the vehicle is very important for a SELF DRIVEN person while driving on narrow streets and while parking. So compass has the advantage here.

3. Compass will be cheaper to run due to better fuel efficiency, my test drive of trailhawk on expressway at cruising speeds of 80-100 kmph was showing average 19 kmpl on MID. Also, initial acquisition price and subsequent insurance premiums will be lesser here. So compass has the advantage here.

4. Jeep compass is euro ncap 5 star rated while endeavour is not. Its always better to have a safer car on long highway trips. Also, jeep compass will be better in emergency avoidance manoeuver if needed.

5. Endeavour is preferable if 7 seats, bullying road presence, serious off roading ability is needed.

So endeavour triumphs compass at:

Road presence
2 more seats (which are not needed for OP) or better luggage space with 5 seats
Serious off road ability which isnt needed for OP

And the compass beats endeavour at:

Better overall ride quality
Better handling and fun to drive factor.
Better active and passive safety
Ability to cover larger distances swiftly.
Lesser acquisition cost and running costs
Possibly better tank range.
Ease of driving and parking in city as well as on narrow roads.
- All of the above points are desirable for OP

So in my opinion, compass 4x4 AT is the way to go here.
46TheDoctor is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 09:07   #28
BHPian

From your query I guess you are in a size and maneuverability versus off-road comparison.
For starters the compass is actually smaller on the inside than outside. It is a comfortable four seater and seating 5 will be a pinch. The plus side is, the footprint is small and agile. In the city as well as a fast highway the compass will be faster, more agile and fun to drive when compared to the endeavour. The compass power to weight and torque to weight is better than the endeavour as well. The compass is much better to park in congested areas and tight parking lots. Overall for a small family a compass is far more livable than a hulking endeavour.
Regarding off-roading, if your take is to use the car on all kinds of roads or take it to ladakh, then no issues even a high gc two wheel car will do. With respect to serious trails or rock crawls, mud and slush pit crossing etc both these cars will struggle, with the endeavour being a bit better overall. However be prepared for serious body damage and scratching if you take such a large SUV through narrow trails.
AirbusCapt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 12:01   #29

I want to give you a different perspective. I have never driven an Endeavour. I have owned and driven a Jeep Compass for a little more than two years now. I think I don't need to talk about looks at all. You just need to take one look to start drooling. That saucy red. Power is a lot more than you need in the city and more than enough on a highway and no Hector or Harrier is gonna get past you unless you allow them to. As far as maintenance costs go, oil replacement each year is the most expensive part which I think is as it should be. After sales service from Jeep is on par what you would expect spending so much money. I have received calls thrice in the first year to check on the performance (and did a free fix including pick up and drop for a dash noise) and there after after every visit to the workshop for maintenance even for something as trivial as as a job card for adding mudflaps. I really loved the way they handled the ECU update and the car hasnt been anything but a dream to drive. Sure it is probably not value for money precisely, sure they make more profit off of you than others do but the car delivers. The sheer pleasure of driving ayayay...
MMinor is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 21:58   #30
BHPian

I saw that you were worrying about maintenance of Endeavour, it is cheaper than some of the B segment cars .. my 50,000 KM service cost was just 6800 rupees. You can see the price of a scheduled maintenance from this website https://www.fordservicepricepromise.com/, the price will not go up more than this.
anumod is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed