Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2020, 01:20   #31
BHPian

Re: Which 4x4 AT SUV? Ford Endeavour 3.2 vs Jeep Compass

Thanks everyone for your inputs. I have finally got an Endeavour booked on zoomcar for next to next weekend and I plan to do a mix of city and highway driving. I think that should be enough to make up my mind. Will keep this thread updated as and when I am able to take a decision.
SHANKY11 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th January 2020, 12:04   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHANKY11 View Post
Thanks everyone for your inputs. I have finally got an Endeavour booked on zoomcar for next to next weekend and I plan to do a mix of city and highway driving. I think that should be enough to make up my mind. Will keep this thread updated as and when I am able to take a decision.
Cool. Hope it is a 3.2. Also, did you TD the Compass yet?
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2020, 21:13   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
I think Zoomcar only has 2.2 trend version of the Endeavour. But that should be enough to get a feel of its size.
clementj is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2020, 02:12   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Its a 2.2 MT. I test drove the trailhawk only since the regular Compass Diesel AT is not yet available for test drives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clementj View Post
I think Zoomcar only has 2.2 trend version of the Endeavour. But that should be enough to get a feel of its size.
Yes, that is the whole point. I intend to drive it in as many conditions as possible. Also, I guess the upcoming new engine will be quite different to drive from the current engines offered. If I feel okay with the size of the vehicle, will wait for the new engine to launch and then take a decision.

On a side note, I was negotiating a nasty speed breaker yesterday and a Compass came from my left, did not slow down for the bump and bam!! I heard a loud noise which was most probably the front bumper of that poor Compass that scraped the ground. Got a first hand experience of what every review has been mentioning about the Compass.
SHANKY11 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2020, 08:17   #35
BHPian

If you decide to go for a Endeavour , you should definitely wait and test drive the one with new engine . I think your fuel efficiency concerns will also be addressed . Meanwhile you can look for international reviews and get some inkling about it.
Sandeep500 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 13:50   #36

Quote:
Its a 2.2 MT. I test drove the trailhawk only since the regular Compass Diesel AT is not yet available for test drives.

Yes, that is the whole point. I intend to drive it in as many conditions as possible. Also, I guess the upcoming new engine will be quite different to drive from the current engines offered. If I feel okay with the size of the vehicle, will wait for the new engine to launch and then take a decision.

On a side note, I was negotiating a nasty speed breaker yesterday and a Compass came from my left, did not slow down for the bump and bam!! I heard a loud noise which was most probably the front bumper of that poor Compass that scraped the ground. Got a first hand experience of what every review has been mentioning about the Compass.
Regarding the issue of ground clearance, there is an option of getting a smaller bumper lip which can be retrofitted at approx Rs 1800. Attaching a picture of the same taken from one of the team bhp forums.
Attached Thumbnails
Which 4x4 AT SUV? Ford Endeavour 3.2 vs Jeep Compass-pic.jpg  

hs_maverick is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 14:10   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeep500 View Post
If you decide to go for a Endeavour , you should definitely wait and test drive the one with new engine . I think your fuel efficiency concerns will also be addressed . Meanwhile you can look for international reviews and get some inkling about it.
Fuel efficiency is not a big concern. However, the new engine will be less polluting and will definitely give me a better tankful range. I hope the driving dynamics don’t change a lot, fingers crossed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hs_maverick View Post
Regarding the issue of ground clearance, there is an option of getting a smaller bumper lip which can be retrofitted at approx Rs 1800. Attaching a picture of the same taken from one of the team bhp forums.
Yes I had this thought that there must be some fix for this issue. Thanks for sharing this.
Old 30th January 2020, 16:17   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Fuel efficiency is not a big concern. However, the new engine will be less polluting and will definitely give me a better tankful range. I hope the driving dynamics don’t change a lot, fingers crossed.
Driving dynamics are most probably going to be better as that engine is going to be lighter, so less weight on front wheels.
Sandeep500 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 22:09   #39
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Do wait for the new Endeavour that should come later this month.
Is this some news about the bi-turbo version of the Endeavour ? Please confirm. I've been calling all the preowned dealers in Bangalore to get myself a 2020/2019 3.2L !

Sorry I just realized I'm responding to a 2020 thread !

Last edited by niruvrs9669 : 19th January 2021 at 22:11.
Old 21st January 2021, 15:02   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niruvrs9669 View Post
Is this some news about the bi-turbo version of the Endeavour ? Please confirm. I've been calling all the preowned dealers in Bangalore to get myself a 2020/2019 3.2L
The bi-turbo is not making it on current generation of the Endeavour. Should come in with the next generation, maybe next year. That said, the current engine is not that bad either, unless you are an aggressive driver. Do check it out, if you have not. Except for sheer power, it outshines the 3.2 lit in all aspects - smoother, quieter, cleaner, more fuel efficient, and yes, above all the 10-speed transmission is a gem! The car does not feel underpowered in any way whatsoever, unless you are into traffic-light drags

Last edited by cool_dube : 21st January 2021 at 15:09.
Old 22nd January 2021, 09:33   #41
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@cool_dube,

I prefer outright performance over mediocrity , should be available for use when needed. Definitely not into traffic light drags and mods/tunes.

I've been driving a vRS for over 15 years now. Also, a 2009 ML 320 CDI and 2016 X5, both of which are torque monsters. With maintenance costs piling up on the ML and X5's 1.2 lac KM warranty ending by April 2021, I was looking out for a lighter on the pocket and low cost maintenance SUV for next 3-4 years until our country gears up with practical EV infrastructure.

3.2L endy offers decent performance without having to loose much of that 'performance' factor I'm already used to. I've n't driven the 2L yet, but with all the feedback and reviews on this forum I wasn't too keen. Still hoping to find one less used 3.2L in the market.
niruvrs9669 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2021, 15:13   #42
BHPian

I realized this is an year old thread. However I am going through the same dilemma, the new facelift for both products making it more difficult for me to finalize.

I have been a great fan of Endeavour and following it very closely since the launch of second generation in 2016, facelift in 2019, new 2.0 BSV1 engine in 2020. The aspects around drivability, handling, off road capabilities have got discussed in multiple forums by fellow BHPians. Even though the power surge which was available in 3.2 is missing in the new 2.0, the new 10 speed automatic transmission is such a gem that it kind of masks that beautifully in all practical driving conditions. Fuel efficiency also got slightly improved. Then what is that really stopping me right?

Well, let me try to give a background of my driving requirements. I am an IT professional, working 5 days a week from office/home with very less driving around these days. And I would be driving solo or plus 1 for those office commutes in city traffic. Even though I tend to make up for that during holidays and weekends with highway drives, my average running for last 9 years is still under 15000Km per year (average figure when compared to BHP standards). But one new factor which got added recently in my driving habits is going off the road, I found interest in the off road activities (thanks to BHPian Captain Rex who introduced me to the the activities facilitated by the club Terra Tigers here in Chennai). Also I have a desire to travel to the offbeat locations in and around the country and that's how I ended up in 4x4 market for my next upgrade!

The "need" is to have a capable 5 seater diesel AT which can take me to the office and for those weekend highway trips (4 people onboard) with mild off road abilities. On the other hand, the "desire" is to have a proper 4x4 diesel AT that can do serious offroading and also be a highway beast. Well, the Jeep compass meets my "need" where as the Endeavour meets my "desire". To follow my "desire" I need to retain my hatchback for city commute, need to find additional parking space in the community, and be in terms with hassles in managing multiple vehicles.

From the financial perspective, my budget limit is ~30 lakhs (cant stretch beyond), hence cant afford to buy new Endeavour, so have to find a well maintained one in the used car market. On the other hand, I can buy the new Compass 4x4 AT in the company lease program which makes it more attractive from the tax saving perspective.

So my quest begins, is the Jeep Compass capable of doing serious off road? Trail hawk is not available now, but the normal facelift version do come with 4wd low and differential lock, are these features helping to improve the capabilities to an extend? Even if it does, the low ground clearance (~175mm) makes it difficult to take this vehicle to the toughest terrains. Do we get lift kit for Compass (is that even feasible for monocoque frames?). Do we have off road bumpers available in the after market?

Fellow BHPians and the Jeepers, please enlighten me with your experience with Compass off the road. This is the one factor which is kind of holding me now. Are there any after market modifications available to improve its off road capabilities?

Please note that Thar was not considered as I want the vehicle to be capable of doing highway trips with 4 people and decent luggage onboard.
Old 28th April 2021, 15:39   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser_D View Post
The "need" is to have a capable 5 seater diesel AT which can take me to the office and for those weekend highway trips (4 people onboard) with mild off road abilities. On the other hand, the "desire" is to have a proper 4x4 diesel AT that can do serious offroading and also be a highway beast. Well, the Jeep compass meets my "need" where as the Endeavour meets my "desire". To follow my "desire" I need to retain my hatchback for city commute, need to find additional parking space in the community, and be in terms with hassles in managing multiple vehicles.
Size & Utility.

It wont bother you on day 1 but in a few months a vehicle that is a few sizes bigger than your needs is going to be a problem. If you live in a joint family and use the 7 seats enough, its going to be worth while, otherwise avoid 7 seaters and certainly diesels, your usage isn't high enough.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2021, 16:40   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser_D View Post

So my quest begins, is the Jeep Compass capable of doing serious off road? Trail hawk is not available now, but the normal facelift version do come with 4wd low and differential lock, are these features helping to improve the capabilities to an extend? Even if it does, the low ground clearance (~175mm) makes it difficult to take this vehicle to the toughest terrains. Do we get lift kit for Compass (is that even feasible for monocoque frames?). Do we have off road bumpers available in the after market?
The Compass would be brilliant on the road, great on trails and mild off roading, but if you plan to off road, then it will let you down. I personally will not purposely off road my primary highway vehicle. I will off-road for pleasure in a dedicated off-road vehicle and it can be anything, the Endeavour or Compass, just that I will hesitate to exploit its full potential and always have an apprehension of something failing on those long highway hauls.

You may read the discussion from here (Offroading with the Jeep Compass Trailhawk) to further know about Trailhawk's prowess. And that thread is a must read.

In short - If you are looking at one vehicle to do it all, get the Ford Endeavour 3.2 pre-owned. If you can compromise on space and off-road ability, in my opinion, the Compass should excel in all other departments. There are no losers in both, just that you have to prioritize between off-road & on road and space. And size, plus chuck-ability / handling.

Please have a detailed test drive of both, it should help you decide.

Last edited by Sheel : 28th April 2021 at 16:42.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 16:26   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Size & Utility.

It wont bother you on day 1 but in a few months a vehicle that is a few sizes bigger than your needs is going to be a problem. If you live in a joint family and use the 7 seats enough, its going to be worth while, otherwise avoid 7 seaters and certainly diesels, your usage isn't high enough.
Thanks Kosfactor. I got your point. But I tend to disagree on the 7 seat usage in Endeavour. The entry and exit is ridiculous and even kids wouldn't be comfortable there. Practically it is a 5 seater with humongous boot space. If third row usage is regular, Endeavour may not be the right choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
The Compass would be brilliant on the road, great on trails and mild off roading, but if you plan to off road, then it will let you down. I personally will not purposely off road my primary highway vehicle. I will off-road for pleasure in a dedicated off-road vehicle and it can be anything, the Endeavour or Compass, just that I will hesitate to exploit its full potential and always have an apprehension of something failing on those long highway hauls.

You may read the discussion from here (Offroading with the Jeep Compass Trailhawk) to further know about Trailhawk's prowess. And that thread is a must read.

In short - If you are looking at one vehicle to do it all, get the Ford Endeavour 3.2 pre-owned. If you can compromise on space and off-road ability, in my opinion, the Compass should excel in all other departments. There are no losers in both, just that you have to prioritize between off-road & on road and space. And size, plus chuck-ability / handling.

Please have a detailed test drive of both, it should help you decide.
Thanks Sheel for sharing this thread. Anshuman & Co literally exposed the Trailhawk in the sandy terrains. Lack of adequate ground clearance, absence of a conventional low range transfer case, very minimal articulation means no serious offroads with this machine. The explanation of 4wd low function of Trailhawk in that thread clears lot of air. So I guess that would be the exact mechanism available in the new compass 4x4 as well as it shares the same 9 speed Torque convertor from ZF.

Yes I will be doing multiple test drives to get the feel of both vehicles on the road. I guess Compass would be a clear winner in this department.
Cruiser_D is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks