Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2020, 02:36   #1
BHPian

13-year old Toyota Innova - Keep or replace?

Hello T-BHP'ians,

Hope you're doing well!

We have a 13 year old Toyota Innova (2.4L Diesel) that has done about 1,30,000 kms. The car is generally trouble free with a yearly service costing about INR 15,000. In terms of usage, it does around 8-10k kms a year with Mom being driven around in the comfort of the rear seat.

With the car hitting the 15 year mark and needing a new fitness certificate, I was wondering if its going to be a problem going forward. Will this be more of a liability in future with Diesels being frowned upon everywhere?

My brother has done some checks back in Bangalore and has found buyers offering 6L for the Innova. Do you think its a good idea to sell it off and pick up a petrol MPV (e.g. Ertiga) instead?

Do let me know your thoughts.

Cheers,
Praveen

Last edited by 51morris : 17th February 2020 at 02:39. Reason: Fixed a typo.
51morris is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 17th February 2020, 05:21   #2
BHPian

Re: 13-year old Toyota Innova - Keep or replace?

I would say keep it because ban on diesel is still 7 - 10 years ahead, because the electric cars have the range problem and cannot be main streamed. In a country like ours if CNG which takes only a few extra minutes to fill and is a cleaner fuel, still has only few pumps and few takers, I don't think you have anything to worry about your car. Just renew the FC and enjoy the car another few lac Kms and it will also be a downgrade from Innova to Ertiga in terms of comfort.
revvharder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2020, 07:58   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51morris View Post
Hello T-BHP'ians,

Hope you're doing well!

We have a 13 year old Toyota Innova (2.4L Diesel) that has done about 1,30,000 kms. The car is generally trouble free with a yearly service costing about INR 15,000. In terms of usage, it does around 8-10k kms a year with Mom being driven around in the comfort of the rear seat.

With the car hitting the 15 year mark and needing a new fitness certificate, I was wondering if its going to be a problem going forward. Will this be more of a liability in future with Diesels being frowned upon everywhere?

My brother has done some checks back in Bangalore and has found buyers offering 6L for the Innova. Do you think its a good idea to sell it off and pick up a petrol MPV (e.g. Ertiga) instead?

Cheers,
Praveen
If you are willing to go for a diesel/petrol/CNG Ertiga, sell off the Innova for 6 lakhs.

6 lakh downpayment , 4 lakh loan over 7 years will have an EMI of 6400 Rs. approx.

In city conditions,Ertiga diesel/CNG will give approx double the fuel efficiency of Innova.

1k per month running, the gain in fuel efficiency alone will pay for 50% of EMI.The Maruti resale value will recoup the rest of the EMI over 7 years. If running is low, your car will maintain good resale value.

A new BS6 diesel Ertiga will put to rest all uncertainty for next 10 years. And will allow you to sell your Innova before 15 years are up and there is some policy change regarding fitness certificate of old diesel vehicles.

At Rs. 64-70/ltr diesel in Delhi, 8kmpl for Innova, 16 kmpl for Ertiga,Rs4000 out of Rs6400 EMI will be covered by fuel savings if you use the Ertiga for 1k kms per month.

P.S. : The numbers are from the top of my head, do your own precise CA level financial calculations.
Attached Thumbnails
13-year old Toyota Innova - Keep or replace?-img_20200217_080117.jpg  

13-year old Toyota Innova - Keep or replace?-img_20200217_080153.jpg  

Last edited by drsingh : 17th February 2020 at 08:12. Reason: image attachment
drsingh is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 17th February 2020, 08:22   #4
BHPian

Getting a fitness certificate is not a big deal, there are even agents who would do that for a nominal charge.

If you think the car is in good condition and you are loving it, you may keep it, else sell. I’m curious to know the price you bought, 6 lacs resale, isn’t that a good deal

Ertiga is a good car but kind of a downgrade to Innova. Climb up a segment something like Hexa would bring things closer.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 17th February 2020 at 08:28.
Thermodynamics is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th February 2020, 09:09   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Given that the car has been trouble-free, is fairly low run (for an Innova), the only reason why you could think of replacing it is how old it has become. So, you may want better safety features or comfort/convenience. 8-10k kms/year is a significant distance.

At least as of now, there isn't anything to indicate issues for a 15-year old diesel vehicle in Bangalore. There is a scrappage policy bill awaited but that's for CVs so not immediate concern for you. But yes, you can't guarantee a good resale as the years roll by.
libranof1987 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th February 2020, 09:20   #6
Senior - BHPian

Only reason why I will ask you to sell the car is, SAFETY!.

I think the Innova back then came with absolutely null safety features.

You can buy a smaller car with 6 Lakhs today with much more safety.

In fact even the Triber base model will be much safer than the older Innova.
2000rpm is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2020, 09:36   #7
BHPian

Quote:
In terms of usage, it does around 8-10k kms a year with Mom being driven around in the comfort of the rear seat.
I would keep the car as long as possible. Innova is a segment above, and has much better ride than Ertiga. My mom used to hate Ertiga (gen 1) back seat but love Innova (gen 1) back seat. I havent run any numbers, but for such a low running, you might not be able to recoup the additional investment (5-6L) made on new car.
Old 17th February 2020, 09:36   #8
Senior - BHPian

I think you should sell it now. Simply because you will not get that kind of resale value two years down the line. And it may be trouble-free, but you never know what can happen in the next two years. Sell it now and it is almost like a profitable investment for you. 13 years back, you may have paid 10 lakhs for the Innova. 40 per cent of the value retained is amazing.
padmrajravi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2020, 10:27   #9
BHPian

My thought process will be as follows:
1. I am not sure how much difficult is it to continue private car ownership after 15 years as far as RTO procedures are concerned. So, firstly make sure about that.
2. If RTO process isnt a big thing then you should ask yourself the following:
A. Does your car come with ABS? If yes then its a good enough reason to retain your car. Airbags wont matter much as i guess your mother might be using second row of seats.
B. Can you afford to buy an equivalent car today? Crysta, Hexa, etc. or atleast something that is as safe, reliable and comfortable as your Innova. If yes, only then you should consider the change or else retaining Innova is better.
C. Swapping innova for ertiga or equivalent doesnt make sense as the Innova is a superior product even at this age and Toyota service is flawless.
Old 17th February 2020, 10:59   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
An Innova is ageless! Jokes apart, as long as you are not in Delhi, do retain the car for long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46TheDoctor View Post
My thought process will be as follows:
1. I am not sure how much difficult is it to continue private car ownership after 15 years as far as RTO procedures are concerned. So, firstly make sure about that.
I'm in the process of renewing my 15 year old wagonR. Since I don't have the time, I have engaged the services of a driving school. Paid them Rs. 3,500 green tax and some more for his fees. Green tax will be paid today and a week from now is the inspection date. I will drop the car to his place and he will take the car to the RTO for inspection.
blackwasp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th February 2020, 11:02   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In terms of usage, it does around 8-10k kms a year with Mom being driven around in the comfort of the rear seat.
6 lakhs is a really good price for a 2007 Innova! I'd say go ahead with the sale and get a similar segment BS6 compliant MPV/MUV/SUV with curtain airbags and good rear seat comfort.

Diesel cars will see a country wide ban sooner than later. Any haphazard government policy will make your 13 year old Innova drop its value almost overnight. This is the right time to start looking for alternatives and replace the car by the end of this year.

Although Innova Crysta should be your default choice, I'd suggest you to look at MG Hector and updated Tata Harrier as well.

Contrary to popular belief, even the 2.7 petrol Innova is an amazing vehicle. Here's a BHPian's detailed review - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...7l-petrol.html (Review: Toyota Innova Crysta 2.7L Petrol AT). For the 7 airbag variant, you'll have to stretch for the ZX AT though which will be around 4 lakhs more expensive than top-end Hector/Harrier. That's a different thing that you'll recover more than half of that 4 lakh premium at the time of sale.
Old 17th February 2020, 11:44   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Hello T-BHP'ians,

We have a 13 year old Toyota Innova (2.4L Diesel) that has done about 1,30,000 kms. The car is generally trouble free with a yearly service costing about INR 15,000...
.. Do you think its a good idea to sell it off and pick up a petrol MPV (e.g. Ertiga) instead?

Cheers,
Praveen
I would just keep the Innova, since you would get another two years of the most comfortable ride possible. Let us assume that the car value crashes to 2 lakhs in the next two years, which means you are spending 2 lakhs/year to keep the car?

Which, in my opinion, is worth it.
AutoSphere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2020, 11:51   #13
BHPian

Don't sell the Innova. A like-to-like replacement would be addition 20 lakhs+ in Crysta (Which is better to drive, FE etc but not as comfortable).

If you are worried about the 15 year rule (which has been a rumour for long), why not buy a newer used petrol Innova for around 6 lakhs (with airbags), it'll be even more comfortable.

While there will be higher running costs (not much in your case), you'll able to run it for much longer- so total costs might actually be lower than investing in an Crysta

Last edited by vikramvicky1984 : 17th February 2020 at 12:19.
vikramvicky1984 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2020, 13:23   #14
Senior - BHPian

6 lakhs is a good price

If you have access to a good independent mechanic, then keep the car. Otherwise sell and buy one of the smaller SUVs.

The Innova will start draining your wallet with slightly big ticket preventive maintenance like replacing timing belt etc but the engine & gear box will be fine with regular maintenance

My innova ran 2.35 lakh km in 10 years and I got 5.5 lacs when i sold it (G4 version). My mechanic said " Why are you selling? Will run fine for 1.5 lakh km more!". I dont get the same feeling with the Crysta. So there's that too
Old 17th February 2020, 13:39   #15
BHPian

I think if you are okay with an old and barely equipped car then keep it as mechanically it will be fine for another few lakh kms. But if you want to experience a new car with new looks and more features then 6L is a good deal. But if you decide to sell, don't go for Ertiga. There are better cars around to replace the almighty Innova.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks