Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2020, 11:57   #31
BHPian

re: Tata Aria replacement? EDIT: Booked Innova GX AT

Coming from the Aria, and considering your budget, I see only 2 options.

If reliability is your No.1 requirement, then a used Crysta AT.

For everything else, the Hexa AT. Especially with the swoon worthy captain seats. I am 5'8" and on the bulkier side, and was comfortable in the 3rd row. So your family would be a happy lot even when your parents join in. Just switch the 19" wheels to the 16"s and you'd be good to go.

If you go shop now, I guess you could get a 2020 XTA in your current budget, with 3 lac flat cash discounts and the Aria's exchange value.

BHPian padmrajravi is right. Coming from the Aria, any other of these psuedo SUVs will feel like pure hatchbacks. Have seen enough Creta and Seltos owners (some Crystas too) stare when I fly my Hexa over bad roads.
TROOPER is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 13:47   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo82in View Post
The Background:

g. Tata Harrier/Hexa AT
Hexa is a worthy and reliable replacement but cannot match the oomph factor of others. Harrier is known for its part failure issues
Hi, since you are already used to Tata's ASS, then I think a new Hexa Diesel would be a good choice(though I have not checked the on-road price in NCR). Maybe you will have to stretch your budget a bit. It is probably the best in that segment if you ignore snob value. After having driven a 7 seater Aria for so long, you might miss the 7 seat configuration occasionally. But if you strictly do not need a 7 seater, then you have good choices in Seltos/Creta/Hector/Jeep. You may not find the seating position of a sedan commanding or comfortable after driving the Aria for so long again. Please test drive some of them before making your decision.
Pkumarblore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 13:59   #33
BHPian

Sorry, I missed the Harrier in the list.
Old 16th March 2020, 18:21   #34
BHPian

Considering your requirements I would also add a pre owned Yeti to your list of pre loved cars.

In the safety department I think adding ESP as a mandatory requirement is wise.

In terms of new cars, i also recommend Nexon as long as its looks are not a deal breaker for you. Proven safety. Peppy drive. But Tata doesn't have the Oomph factor. There is also the Kicks which is very underrated and of course ASS support may be non existent.
The Observer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 21:03   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbones View Post
Take a test drive of XL6 AT, this is the most underrated, value for money, and a very capable MUV.
Its a capable vehicle no doubt, but lacks the glamor factor. I will prefer S Cross over XL6 any day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCar View Post
It says a lot how good Aria is/was when you aren't able to decide on which is a better upgrade compared to it. Most of the options available like Compass, Crysta are too high priced or other options like Seltos, Creta doesn't feel value for money compared to Aria.
Feel sorry that cars like Aria or Hexa didn't get the market response that they deserve.

My suggestion: Wait for the upcoming XUV500 to launch. It will be available with automatic option. XUV500 has good enough road presence, great engine and ride quality. XUV500 in itself is a seperate brand altogether. It doesn't feel Mahindra. You can always fall back on various options suggested by others if you don't like the upcoming XUV500.
You just touched the right nerve. Me and my family are spoilt by the comfort and ride quality of Aria. I am happy customer of Tata ASC. Every time I have approached Tata customer care the response has been positive and to my satisfaction. The vehicle still has RSA from Tata without any extra charge. However this 'every time' was way too frequent. The Aria visited Workshop 62 times (regular service and accidental repair included) in last eight and half years, that's way too much. For 2 years (2014-16) the car remained unused due to other reasons. Thats makes it almost one visit every month. In making VFM vehicles the quality gets compromised and the niggling issue big or small irritate in longterm. I tend to retain cars for long. My biggest fear with Tata and Mahindra (No experience though) is the reliability over the 10-12 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kranti View Post
Based on ALL the preferences listed, I'd highly recommend the following:

Pre-owned CR-V
While it guzzles petrol, the reliability is undeniable. And it's a really comfortable car to drive and ride in.

Pre-owned Tucson Petrol AT
It may be very difficult to find one, but will be well worth it. Worth every penny!

Pre-owned Compass AT
Not as reliable as the CR-V or Tucson, but every enjoyable to drive!

Alternate options (that require a compromise on at least one front):

Pre-owned Santa Fe AT / Tucson Diesel AT
Diesels, but really nice and reliable SUVs.

Pre-owned Corolla Altis Petrol AT / Elantra Petrol AT/ Accord AT
Sedans, but nice, reliable cars.
Thats my choice too in that order. How is the long term ownership experience of Hyundai cars?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
Since you mentioned that you are happy with TATA after sales and service, why not wait for the Gravitas? As far as I can see, it will fullfill almost all of your requirements, in a package thats more up to the modern times. If the third row of seats is not a must-have, then even the Harrier (BS 6) should fit the bill. As far as I know, TATA products, even though may face slight niggles in the initial phase, will not compromise on the fundamentals unlike Maruti-Suzuki (No offence). I would say, stick with the brand if you are happy with it.
If its Tata then I will prefer the Harrier over Gravitas. One, my requirement is 5 seats at the max. Two, its almost a year since the launch of Harrier, hopefully the initial niggles would have been ironed out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
I'd suggest a Harrier AT that's been launched. You have experience with Aria and Tata service. I think upgrade that comes to mind first is an AT Harrier, unless you don't want a Tata again!
I am shying away from Tata only because of the niggling issue. Also for this price I can get a reliable pre owned vehicle from a segment above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Why not go for a brand new Mahindra Marazzo? The car is really silent & quite a comfortable place to be in. Of course - it won't immediately give you a feeling of an "upgrade" over the Aria at first glance. But its quite a capable vehicle & very nimble to drive in any conditions.
Except for the awkwardly placed battery in the engine bay, rest of the car leaves little to complain about.

(I know you aren't too keen on TML/M&M. Hence not suggesting the Harrier just yet. Couldn't resist suggesting the Marazzo even with it being an M&M car .)
Its if Tata or Mahindra then it will be Hexa, Harrier, XUV500, Scorpio in that order. Marazzo, even XL6 and Crysta to some extent, look more of people mover than personal cars. Again 3rd row seat is not my requirement at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Observer View Post
Considering your requirements I would also add a pre owned Yeti to your list of pre loved cars.

In the safety department I think adding ESP as a mandatory requirement is wise.

In terms of new cars, i also recommend Nexon as long as its looks are not a deal breaker for you. Proven safety. Peppy drive. But Tata doesn't have the Oomph factor. There is also the Kicks which is very underrated and of course ASS support may be non existent.
Yeti is being recommended to me time and again. It looks odd but a very capable SUV
Thank you for reminding ESP. How can I miss that?

The future of Nissan seems uncertain in India. I will prefer the Creta or Seltos over the kicks.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 6th June 2020 at 10:18. Reason: extra smiley removed
bravo82in is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 21:25   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo82in View Post
My biggest fear with Tata and Mahindra (No experience though) is the reliability over the 10-12 years.

Thats my choice too in that order. How is the long term ownership experience of Hyundai cars?
We've owned Hyundai cars since its early days. The Santro, followed by the old Tucson, and now the new Tucson. My father-in-law had the old Elantra that we sold after 15 years. All were extremely reliable, capable and fun cars with a great ownership experience. I'd rank the ownership experience right at the top at par with Honda (with a Civic and a CR-V) and Toyota (with the Innova) and Ford recently (with an Endeavour). I honestly believe the CR-V and Tucson/Santa Fe are your best bets, considering your preferences. We parted ways with the old Tucson after driving it for over 2,80,000 kms. The CR-V, though well-used but still in fine condition after a decade of use, was sold due to its low mileage in the city. A decision we regret to this day!

Completely understand your pain dealing with Mahindra at least (no personal experience with Tata, though I'm a big fan of their newer cars such as the Harrier and Altroz). Was the main reason we decided to buy the Endeavour for Dad to replace his Rexton (the first car in our family that we sold in less than 5 years) and to think that the Rexton was a much better vehicle than most other Mahindra vehicles.
kranti is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 22:01   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kranti View Post
We've owned Hyundai cars since its early days. The Santro, followed by the old Tucson, and now the new Tucson. My father-in-law had the old Elantra that we sold after 15 years. All were extremely reliable, capable and fun cars with a great ownership experience. I'd rank the ownership experience right at the top at par with Honda (with a Civic and a CR-V) and Toyota (with the Innova) and Ford recently (with an Endeavour). I honestly believe the CR-V and Tucson/Santa Fe are your best bets, considering your preferences.
Thank you for inspiring my confidence in Hyundai. My little experience with Hyundai (two of my mates own the last generation i20) was not so good.
Tucson is a rare Breed to find in used market. Santa Fe is either out of budget or run over 60-70K kms.
Else I can consider the new Creta. It may be a size downgrade from Aria but the features and interiors (specially the panoramic roof) is making me drool over it.
Old 17th March 2020, 04:22   #38
BHPian

As its been few years since Hexa came into market, the odd niggles might had been polished by now. Trust me a pre owned car will never give you that satisfaction and feel of a new one. Just stretch your budget a lil more and go for a new Hexa. It will bring a new excitement and a perfect replacement for your Aria.

Chances of niggles are higher in a pre owned car and you have no idea what lies underneath that too without any warranty. And if you face any minor niggles in your new car, will be sorted under warranty.

New creta is a choice too but it's like shifting from a king sized bed to queens. The rear space won't impress you and if you not bothered about that then can give it a try.

Your heart is saying a new car, I will say go for it.

Last edited by rahul_kej : 17th March 2020 at 04:25. Reason: Addition
rahul_kej is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2020, 16:37   #39
BHPian

Please get yourself a Hexa AT. No amount of gizmos or features can match a comfortable, spacious cabin and the superb ride comfort of the Hexa. Considering you sometimes go off road, the Hexa makes even more sense than the Korean options. If I was in your place, plan A - Hexa AT, plan B Innova.
John316_WRC is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 16:12   #40
Senior - BHPian

I'm using a Hexa XTA since Aug 2017 and have had a niggle free experience thus far. Its a pleasure to drive on highways, and both 1st and 2nd rows are extremely comfortable.

My suggestion is the Hexa XTA , Harrier AT, Innova AT, Hyundai Tuscon/SantaFe in this order. Bear in mind, the Harrier will not be such a great ride compared to the Hexa, given its shorter Wheelbase and length.

Cheers!
smsrini is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th March 2020, 12:18   #41
BHPian

I took delivery of one of the last Hexa BS4 XTAs 3 weeks back. What prompted me to choose the Hexa was the experience of my office Airport pick-up / drop Hexa XE - super comfy on terrible roads and massive glass area. Thrilled with my choice so far!

Needed a comfy 7 seater, torque converter AT and the sound system was the icing on the cake. Having said that, good luck finding a Hexa now as I think all dealers have sold their stocks.

In your shoes, I'd trade in for a top-of-the-line Harrier AT, wait for the Gravitas or get in queue for an Ertiga AT. I know 4 speed but let's face it - with 90+% city driving even 3 speed is Ok! IMHO XL6 is lipstick on a pig (agreed, a damn good pig).

Last edited by Ferruccio : 19th March 2020 at 12:20.
Ferruccio is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th April 2020, 13:20   #42
BHPian

I would never suggest AT/AMT's from Mahindra. I own a 2017 TUV 300 AMT and it faced so many issues that almost all AMT parts are replaced in warranty.

I know a colleague who owns Scorpio AT and same issue. He left the vehicle on road and sold it in 1 year of ownership due to constant AT issues.
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 09:44   #43
BHPian

Booked Innova Crysta GX AT 7 seater

Thank you every one for your valuable feed back
After lot of discussion with friends and family, finally booked Innova Crysta GX AT 7 Seater. Given the resale value it was worth stretching the budget. Thanks to BS VI norms, the Crysta is now dearer by 1.6 lacs. This is first time I am purchasing a car completely online, including loan and without a TD. A big round of applause to SBI for processing the loan almost paperless.

Regards
Bravo
bravo82in is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 10:05   #44
Senior - BHPian

You will be happy for many a mile. Owning a Crysta myself and having done 40K km over the past 20 months, I can tell you how glad you and the passengers will feel on the drives, more so on the highways.

Many congratulations and bests.
jkrishnakj is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 10:19   #45
BANNED

Re: Tata Aria replacement? EDIT: Booked Innova GX AT

Congratulations on the Crysta @bravo82in. Wish you a happy and safe motoring.

As a owner of an Aria myself, it was nice to hear as to how difficult it is to find a replacement (read upgrade) for the Aria. Also, I am curious to know what is the price you managed to get for your ride.
Kishen.padiyar is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks