Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2020, 11:42   #46
BHPian

Re: Tata Aria replacement? EDIT: Booked Innova GX AT

Thank you dear
It’s more of a replacement rather than upgrade
I got 3 lacs for my ride at 9 year and 1.08 lac kms.
Car exchange and online portal quoted 1.8 to 2 lacs despite spending INR 70 K in last 3 months over new tyres, battery, clutch, and a major service at 1 lac kms.
Regards
Bravo
bravo82in is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 13:18   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo82in View Post
Thank you dear
It’s more of a replacement rather than upgrade
I got 3 lacs for my ride at 9 year and 1.08 lac kms.
Car exchange and online portal quoted 1.8 to 2 lacs despite spending INR 70 K in last 3 months over new tyres, battery, clutch, and a major service at 1 lac kms.
Regards
Bravo
Your Aria was a top-end, right? Was it an AWD? So someone got a 9-year-old 7 seater with all-round airbags and 140 bhp engine for 3 lakhs. 9-year-old Innova with 105 bhp and single driver airbag is listed for 8 lakhs in my area.

Thinking in another angle, had you invested in an Innova back in 2011, you could have got a ZX AT by adding just 3 more lakhs. Heck, I have already started regretting my Hexa purchase.
padmrajravi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 15:43   #48
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
Thinking in another angle, had you invested in an Innova back in 2011, you could have got a ZX AT by adding just 3 more lakhs.
I did not understand this.
Quote:
Heck, I have already started regretting my Hexa purchase.
Frustrating but true. Your 2018 Hexa XMA barely fetches what a 9 year old 1st gen Innova can get today.
Kishen.padiyar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 16:07   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishen.padiyar View Post
I did not understand this.
I meant if he had gotten the Innova then, he would have got an extra 4-5 lakhs in resale. Considering he already paid 21 for GX AT, that additonal resale and 3 lakhs would have given him a ZX AT.

Anyway going for Innova is a great decision. Wishing him many happy miles.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 15th June 2020 at 16:18.
padmrajravi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 20:31   #50
BHPian

Yes it was top end Aria Pride 4x4. 17 lacs to 3 lacs in 9 years ~ 1.5 lac per year in depreciation
2011 Innova goes from 15 lacs to 8 lacs in 9 years ~ 77k per year.

Except for financial aspects, 2011 Aria offered more comfortable ride, was much fun to drive, loaded to the brim with gizmos and much better safety package than the 2011 Innova.

Don't get disheartened with Hexa XMA. Hexa XMA is overall a better package than Innova Crysta any day.
My reasons for going for crysta was the constant niggling issues with my Aria. 64 visits to workshop in 9 years was way too much.
bravo82in is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th March 2021, 22:50   #51
BHPian

A reliable and sturdy 7 seater - Need help in deciding

I am in the market for a reliable and safe 7 seater. I don't change cars often. My cars have always been driven by me and I keep them for a long time. My current car is 12 years old. This is going to be a car for the highways. The places I visit would have some rough roads but nothing too extreme. I drive sedately and would prefer a car with a high seating (max hip-spot). After driving a stick for close to 24 years, I am finally ready to move to an automatic as well. I am not particularly big on interiors, entertainment systems etc. I just need a safe and reliable vehicle.

My choices

Tata Hexa
My first choice was the Hexa which was sadly discontinued. Listing it in the hope that some Tata exec reads this and decides to push for a relaunch :(

Pros
- Sturdy build quality
- Loved the ride quality
- Seating position was awesome
- Good interiors
- Overall good product for the money

Toyota Innova Crysta ZX AT- Unsurprisingly, the next car was the Innova. Visited the dealership in Bangalore and sales personnel were polite and not pushy. They were not very knowledgeable either. However, they know their product sells so I think they are basking in the comfort of that knowledge.

Pros

- Reliable
- Solid dealer/service center network
- Safe (?)
- Nondescript - the most common car/travel taxi around. On long road trips, across states this might help.

Cons

- The top end variant is overpriced - Its around 30.5 here in Bangalore.
- I just cannot get over the fact that the cars sold all over Asia - Laos, Vietnam etc (where their numbers are not that high) are crash tested whereas they do not crash test the Indian Innova. The airbag issues reported here on teambhp also make me a bit jittery.

Tata Safari XZA Automatic

Went to the Tata showroom in Domlur. The experience in the Tata showroom was very pleasant. There was an engineer from the Gujarat plant who was training the sales advisors at the showroom (his name was Nirav) - A special shoutout to him. He did spend a bit of time and gave an honest feedback on the car.

Pros

- Newer platform
- Reasonably safe (since its based on the omega architecture)
- A good amount of thought has gone into designing the car. The approach angle is good (around 24 degrees). GC is good. Even the way in which you can release the spare tire has been thought through.
- Engine derived from the Fiat and AT from Hyundai.

Cons

- Zero boot space - just about 70 liters. This alone seems to be a big blocker and will eventually make it a large 5 seater for most of the trips.
- Somehow (and I can't put my finger on why) - it does not give the seating comfort/road view of the typical ladder on frame MUVs. (Maybe it is in my mind).

Special mention

Isuzu Mux

Called the showroom and they confirmed that the cars will be out by end of April or beginning of May.

Pros

- Sturdy and reliable
- Reasonably safe

Cons

- Way more expensive at 35 L
- Wafer thin dealer network

Should I be considering the XUV500? I assume it would be similar to the Safari. Any other cars I am missing here. Ertiga is a strict no. I have even considered going in for a reasonably high h spot 5 seater like the Ford Ecosport (which retails at 14 for the top end). I know its not a 7 seater but at this point, there seems to be no 7 seater which is safe/reliable and offers value for money. I'd really appreciate your suggestions.
sentra26 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th March 2021, 16:37   #52
BANNED

Re: A reliable and sturdy 7 seater - Need help in deciding

Kia Carnival seems to be a good one but but it starts from ₹31L great interiors, nice gearbox, egine....GC is probably not great but decent enough.
Ramchi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2021, 20:26   #53
BHPian

The Kia Carnival prestige variant at 36 L comes only with 2 airbags (if I am not mistaken). I will nevertheless visit the showroom and take a look. At 5.1 meters its just a few mm short of a tempo traveler. Off topic - At that length I'd love to book the vcross but then I'd have to leave a couple of folks at home during trips .
sentra26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2021, 20:39   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentra26 View Post
I am in the market for a reliable and safe 7 seater.....I'd really appreciate your suggestions.
If you are ok with a petrol 6 seater, please check out the Maruti XL6. If only diesel vehicles are in contention, then the Marazzo is also a good option. Both of them are quite underrated.
comfortablynumb is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th March 2021, 20:44   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Marazzo is also a good option.
Been meaning to check it out. It performed well in the GNCAP as well. I did visit the Mahindra showroom before the pandemic and they mentioned the Marazzo will be out with an automatic version. Read on Autocar that it might be an AMT. I hope its not an AMT. Will definitely check the Marazzo out. Family is against an Ertiga/XL6 so that is out.

Note from Support: Typos fixed.
sentra26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2021, 21:02   #56
Senior - BHPian

Going by the title, "Reliable and sturdy 7 seater", the only car that fits the bill out of cars mentioned is "Toyota Innova".

Going by your requirements, you are not the one who change the cars very often. So, you definitely need long term reliability. And out of all cars mentioned, Innova definitely brings full satisfaction to you.

Its is definitely the best "Reliable" car and "sturdy" car in my view.

Other cars mentioned may be sturdy but I have my own doubts about reliability.

Last edited by gkveda : 27th March 2021 at 21:08.
gkveda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2021, 21:02   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Discontinuation of Hexa is a big bummer for those who value vehicle qualities over the maker’s name. There truly is nothing quite as good.

You should take a good hard look at the Kia Carnival. Nothing quite as spacious, practical and posh as it. A truly international product inside out. Strictly within the options you have listed out, my vote will go to the Isuzu MUX. Another extremely capable and underrated product which doesn’t appeal to brand conscious people but to those who know what they are looking for.

Innova Crysta is simply too overpriced for what it’s worth, and it isn’t as comfortable as what it is made out to be. Safari is a good car but that inexistent boot is a bummer in these no roof rack times.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th March 2021, 21:39   #58
Senior - BHPian

The heading of this thread is 'sturdy and reliable' and the best answer from the listed options would be the Innova Crysta. It is bound to serve you well without any big niggles for a long time. Also since you said this is a highway car, there is no better candidate. The only fly in the ointment is the price. Yes, it is not cheap, but it does make for it in the long term with peace of mind. Another plus point is that the Innova ages well. Even older well maintained Innova's don't look out of date. If possible do wait and check out the alcazar too since I heard it will reach dealerships around May.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...d-testing.html

Last edited by TrackDay : 27th March 2021 at 21:40.
Old 27th March 2021, 22:06   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
Going by the title, "Reliable and sturdy 7 seater", the only car that fits the bill out of cars mentioned is "Toyota Innova".

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackDay View Post
The heading of this thread is 'sturdy and reliable' and the best answer from the listed options would be the Innova Crysta.
I guess this is what it boils down to. Thank you for calling it out clearly. In terms of the sturdiness, I hope the issues raised over airbags not deploying etc are a thing of the past (?). I would probably wait a month to checkout the MUX (if it does come out) and the Alcazar as well. Would have checked out the Kia carnival out in the meanwhile but the pricing is too high for the 6 airbag version. Is the XUV500 even worth checking out?
Old 27th March 2021, 22:38   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Innova Crysta is simply too overpriced for what it’s worth, and it isn’t as comfortable as what it is made out to be.
When you mean the toyota is not as comfortable, do you mean the ride quality? Though I have been in an Innova often, I have not driven one much. Implicitly assumed that driving one would be comfortable for long drives. Please do elaborate. I will be sure to check the MUX out. Hexa being discontinued is a bummer

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks