Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2020, 08:26   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata Aria replacement? EDIT: Booked Innova GX AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
I'd stay away from used Germans/Mahindras.
Nothing wrong with used Mahindras, I'm on my second used Scorpio so far (would still have been my first used scorpio if that one hadn't been stolen back in Nov 2018).

You need to take some effort to find a clean vehicle that hasn't been defaced by stickering, and hasn't had its wiring tinkered with to install extra aux lights and horns, plus has had regular company service. They exist believe it or not, my current Scorpio bought in Nov 2018 had run 20k km over 4 years (100% dealer serviced so everything matched up) and is now at 56k+.
hserus is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th March 2020, 17:56   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Go for the AT, just not the DCT (dual clutch ATs). Choose a torque-converter type. The Seltos, Creta, XUV500, Harrier, Hexa etc. all have this type of AT mated to their diesels. The ones to avoid are the Seltos Petrol DCT & Hector Petrol DCT.
What about the Jeep Compass petrol AT? Is it the same problematic DCT that does duty in Compass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
You can use the above point to bring down the price. Low mileage is the reason why this car found limited buyers in the first place.
Point well taken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
An used Hexa AT can be a great alternative if you are willing to lower the snob value quotient.
Aria and now the Hexa are very comfortable cars, better than most cars I am considering. However the reliability of parts is what is pulling me away from TATA
Will go for a new Hexa if that's the last option

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
If you're okay with a downgrade in size, go for the new Creta or Seltos. Go for the 1.5 petrol with the CVT or the diesel AT. OTOH, if you want substantial road presence, your best option is a Crysta GX (new or used) and used CR-V or Tucson.

I'd stay away from used Germans/Mahindras.
A down grade to Seltos/Creta serves my purpose less the snob value.
Crysta doesn't depreciate much. I will prefer to go for a newer vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
If a sedan is okay, then how about a Toyota Corolla? Or a Camry, if requirement # 1 is non-negotiable?
My preference is a SUV rather than a sedan. Corolla is the car to be considered if nothing works in my favor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Nothing wrong with used Mahindras, I'm on my second used Scorpio so far.
Finding a clean Mahindra in NCR is always an issue.
Will like to shy away from both the domestic manufacturers.
bravo82in is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2020, 11:11   #18
BHPian

A used Discovery Sport. This choice is a comfortable 5 seater with two extra seats for short trips, enough boot space, 4*4, Land Rover tech and adequate luxury coupled with a tough build.

Last edited by aah78 : 15th March 2020 at 12:24. Reason: Typos.
AirbusCapt is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th March 2020, 12:04   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirbusCapt View Post
A used Discovery Sport. This choice is a comfortable 5 seater with two extra seats for short trips, enough boot space, 4*4, Land Rover tech and adequate luxury coupled with a tough build.
It is next to impossible to find a used Discovery Sport within 15 lakhs. The lowest I could find one was of 35 lakhs, a 2015 model with 56k kms. It's a good deal, but then again, way out of budget.

Also, the base versions of the pre-facelift Discovery Sport didn't come with the last row of seats. I believe it was available in the variant which was 2 variants above the base model. That factor will just make it more expensive by around 5-7 lakhs at least.

Last edited by aah78 : 15th March 2020 at 12:23. Reason: Typos.
A.M. is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th March 2020, 12:32   #20
BHPian

Take a test drive of XL6 AT, this is the most underrated, value for money, and a very capable MUV. My friend got one on my advise, and he is very happy with his XL6 AT.
drbones is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2020, 13:11   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Nothing wrong with used Mahindras, I'm on my second used Scorpio so far (would still have been my first used scorpio if that one hadn't been stolen back in Nov 2018).

You need to take some effort to find a clean vehicle that hasn't been defaced by stickering, and hasn't had its wiring tinkered with to install extra aux lights and horns, plus has had regular company service. They exist believe it or not, my current Scorpio bought in Nov 2018 had run 20k km over 4 years (100% dealer serviced so everything matched up) and is now at 56k+.
For those who live in places with questionable infrastructure Mahindra is an obvious choice, others aren't too keen on them for various reasons. However my city IT friends too have changed over to Mahindra after various experiments over the last 5 years. While I do not recommend them a Mahindra, I do encourage them to go ahead and take a test drive, somehow they have ended up buying one of them despite the pull from the many other obvious choices in the market.
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2020, 13:20   #22
BHPian

It says a lot how good Aria is/was when you aren't able to decide on which is a better upgrade compared to it. Most of the options available like Compass, Crysta are too high priced or other options like Seltos, Creta doesn't feel value for money compared to Aria.
Feel sorry that cars like Aria or Hexa didn't get the market response that they deserve.

My suggestion: Wait for the upcoming XUV500 to launch. It will be available with automatic option. XUV500 has good enough road presence, great engine and ride quality. XUV500 in itself is a seperate brand altogether. It doesn't feel Mahindra. You can always fall back on various options suggested by others if you don't like the upcoming XUV500.
DrCar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th March 2020, 15:45   #23
BHPian

Based on ALL the preferences listed, I'd highly recommend the following:

Pre-owned CR-V
While it guzzles petrol, the reliability is undeniable. And it's a really comfortable car to drive and ride in.

Pre-owned Tucson Petrol AT
It may be very difficult to find one, but will be well worth it. Worth every penny!

Pre-owned Compass AT
Not as reliable as the CR-V or Tucson, but every enjoyable to drive!

Alternate options (that require a compromise on at least one front):

Pre-owned Santa Fe AT / Tucson Diesel AT
Diesels, but really nice and reliable SUVs.

Pre-owned Corolla Altis Petrol AT / Elantra Petrol AT/ Accord AT
Sedans, but nice, reliable cars.
kranti is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 15th March 2020, 16:46   #24
BHPian

Since you mentioned that you are happy with TATA after sales and service, why not wait for the Gravitas? As far as I can see, it will fullfill almost all of your requirements, in a package thats more up to the modern times. If the third row of seats is not a must-have, then even the Harrier (BS 6) should fit the bill. As far as I know, TATA products, even though may face slight niggles in the initial phase, will not compromise on the fundamentals unlike Maruti-Suzuki (No offence). I would say, stick with the brand if you are happy with it.
Fury is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th March 2020, 19:23   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo82in View Post
The Background:

g. Tata Harrier/Hexa AT
Hexa is a worthy and reliable replacement but cannot match the oomph factor of others. Harrier is known for its part failure issues
Hexa is an excellent all round car. Harrier has the oomph and now has an AT as well. What makes you say that Harrier is known for its part failure issues? I am yet to come across any part failures and I own one. If they had part failures I'm sure they would have issued a recall or replacement. One-off issue cannot be generalized IMO.
vk007 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 15th March 2020, 21:18   #26
Vmv
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo82in View Post

a. Preowned Honda CRV
Ticks most of the boxes. It is known to guzzle fuel. However, I believe its reliable and maintenance cost will be low. Honda is also offering extended warranty upto 10 years on all its vehicles.

d. Preowned Innova Crysta AT
Depreciation in 3-4 years old crysta is not much. It’s better to buy a new one. It also lacks the glamor factor I have been looking for. Will consider a new one rather than a preowned vehicle

g. Tata Harrier/Hexa AT
Hexa is a worthy and reliable replacement but cannot match the oomph factor of others. Harrier is known for its part failure issues

i.Preowned Jeep Compass AT
Zero experience about the reliability and cost of maintenance of Jeep. The KIA Seltos makes it look even more over priced
Since you have Aria, you will only satisfy with a larger or same size SUV.

My opinion is Hexa AT. Its comfortable and the newer version is reliable also. Try read our reviews of shortlisted car and decide.

As most of the members suggested avoid Seltos/creta/Hector DCT's. You will not be happy with them
Vmv is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 16th March 2020, 08:02   #27
BHPian

If your budget is within 12-15L as mentioned, being in the NCR region, I don't know if going for a second hand diesel makes sense due to the 10 year rule.
I'd have down put my money on the Seltos petrol. I'd recommend the IVT (CVT) over the DCT due to the reliability and cheaper maintenance. I chose the DCT but use it only for the highways.
advenk999 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 08:05   #28
Senior - BHPian

I'd suggest a Harrier AT that's been launched. You have experience with Aria and Tata service. I think upgrade that comes to mind first is an AT Harrier, unless you don't want a Tata again!
Durango Dude is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 09:39   #29
BHPian

Coming from a well used Aria, and considering you were happy with it, anything like a Creta, Seltos or MG will feel like a step down, regards the (lack of) exclusivity, road presence and ride quality and for the money you will be shelling out for these over priced cross-overs.

I would recommend a used Hexa AT, or go for the new Harrier AT, if you can stretch your budget. The Harrier is a true looker and I believe its feature packed too. XUV 500 AT is also a good option.

I have owned the XUV in the past and drive a Hexa AT, which I picked up used at less than 2 years old, with extended warranty and AMC. Comparing the two, nothing beats the magic carpet ride quality of the Hexa. XUV handles better though, as its a monocoque. But then one does not ride these vehicles like a sports sedan or hot hatch, so the handling bit can be ignored. Thats my two cents of advice.

Good luck with your search.

Cheerio!.
alphadog is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 09:59   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Why not go for a brand new Mahindra Marazzo? The car is really silent & quite a comfortable place to be in. Of course - it won't immediately give you a feeling of an "upgrade" over the Aria at first glance. But its quite a capable vehicle & very nimble to drive in any conditions.
Except for the awkwardly placed battery in the engine bay, rest of the car leaves little to complain about.

(I know you aren't too keen on TML/M&M. Hence not suggesting the Harrier just yet. Couldn't resist suggesting the Marazzo even with it being an M&M car .)
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks