Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 29th March 2020, 10:23   #31
BHPian

Default Re: BS6: Jeep Compass or Kia Seltos

Having realised over the years that the perceivable difference behind the wheel in a Korean/ Japanese / European / Indian vehicle in the same category is too little to warrant compromising on serviceability , reliability and overall peace of mind.

There are other options mentioned by our forum members too that are worth exploring, and having known FCA in various ways - won't buy anything they make currently. ( I will own a legacy Fiat President / Padmini some day)

If it's strictly between an FCA vs KIA / Hyundai crossover, I'll take the Korean.
Kosfactor is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th March 2020, 17:14   #32
Senior - BHPian

Default BS6: Jeep Compass or Kia Seltos

The Seltos diesel auto is extremely nice and comes with a lot of kit as well. However if I were you, I would pick the Compass auto in longitude trim at this budget,(though pricey). You get an auto, 4*4 and built like a tank.

Do a test drive before you decide. The turning radius is a point that most BHPians are referring to, but this surely is not a deal breaker. Take the longer road back home and have some fun.

If VW has a good service network in Shimla, throw the T ROC into the mix( haven't driven it due to lockdown). Happy shopping.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 29th March 2020 at 17:16.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2020, 20:54   #33
BHPian

The Compass is among the few enthusiast cars that has the same engine and suspension across all it's variants. So even the base model will put a smile on an enthusiast's face when driving.

But you want a long term ownership (smart move), which plays spoilsport. An FCA will give you many more issues than a Kia. So I'll have to recommend you the Seltos. A car of a lower segment being considered as an alternative speaks volumes about how good it is.
Old 30th March 2020, 11:34   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Most people are recommending you the Compass taking in regard the apparent weather conditions in Shimla. What many seem to be ignoring is that whatever those conditions may be, your 15 year old Hyundai Accent could manage to survive them. Hence a 4x4 and AWD is not really needed at all. I would suggest you to opt for the Seltos or Creta and enjoy that fuss free ownership, enjoy more features in the car and save some money too in the process.

BTW have you considered the newly launched VW T-Roc? I didn't notice it in your opening post and posts thereafter. You mention you own a Skoda and hence might want to consider this too.
Old 30th March 2020, 12:44   #35
AZT
BHPian

I'd go with the Compass. Jeep has garnered a good following here and I don't see it shutting down. Seltos / Creta will also work for you but if maxing out your budget isn't a problem, Jeep any day. The turning radius part is something you'll have to take a call on.
Old 30th March 2020, 21:02   #36
Senior - BHPian

How about the TATA NEXON? Good GC, Good pricing and the petrols are pretty much fun if driven the right way!

Compass is good but its a FIAT and like all FIATS is a dream to drive. KIA Seltos somehow does not fit in, if you come from an octavia!! That Solid build is not to be found in any Kia.

The Nexon is easy to drive and might fit your budget easily, including the Nexon ELECTRIC

Dunno how good TATA Service is at Simla though. If its good, go for the Nexon eyes closed
Old 2nd April 2020, 17:40   #37
BHPian

This thread is the personification of the hard choice that exists between these two creatures.

I recently had a chance to test drive both back 2 back after a lot of scheduling and rescheduling. Incidentally both cars were not test drive models but new cars which in Jeep Compass was the same one I got to drive earlier "Sport Plus 2.0D manual in Silver color". The Kia Seltos was a Silver HTE 1.5D manual and again was booked by someone else but he did not go through with the buy citing loan issues due to the new updated cibil score.

The Kia people did offer me a demo in their normal test car but I said no to it and requested a car from stock if possible and they obliged.

After all that matha phoot I have arrived to a conclusion and that is to buy the Seltos HTE 1.5D manual and yes its the same one I test drove. It's just done 43Km and while the Compass also had just done 109Km so both were great choices. So all in all why did I buy Seltos over Compass well it’s very close to Compass on most fronts but more importantly it's a Jack of all trades and while it does not excel in its drive or its control but its still great. With Compass I had to take more 3 pointed turns and another issue that was apparent was the heavy clutch while taking these turns. The BS6 Compass also has dull acceleration now so it's a downer and the fact that new Compass with metal sheet changes will come soon “If Jeep is still around”.

So there you have it I have booked the Seltos HTE 1.5D Silver over the Jeep Compass Sport Plus 2.0D Silver and I am waiting for the pending payment from HDFC Pre-approved loan @ 9% to go through. I had already booked the HTX and the SA has told me the HTE will be booked under a new ID and the old HTX booking will have to be cancelled. This HTE also has all the chrome optional accessories “As requested by the original buyer” which I hate and plan to remove post delivery “My loss of almost 9k” but I will retain the tan seat cover for sure.

Stay tuned for the full review post coronavirus issues.
Brishti is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed