Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2020, 19:12   #1
BHPian

BS6: Jeep Compass or Kia Seltos

Hey All,

I have a huge problem as too many things are going wrong with my almost 15year old Hyundai Accent and that is forcing me to choose a car asap. One of the valves had broken earlier and had to be replaced and now other issues have come up. I need a city car asap since my Octavia is not available and neither do I want to use that as a city car. With the covid-19 issue I want everyone to drive and get the needfull "No deliveries in Shimla " and need a stable car asap.

Requirements:
1. Need to be an SUV of the crossover persuasion.
2. No Tinbox build.
3. Mostly 2 people will travel together so dont want a huge car that is a issue to drive in city like Shimla.
4. This will replace Hyundai Accent and has to have same or more space. Also need to be reliable since in Shimla the rain and snow can wreak havoc.
5. Budget is upto 20 lakhs it will be mostly financed but I will give 30% downpayment.
6. Need a BS6 diesel engine since its for home & city use and will run quite a lot.
7. Has to be a manual because the extra control helps driving in the Himalayas.

Options considered:

1. MG Hector
- The ride is comfortable and the space inside is great but that's about it. Its not fun to drive nor does it do much in terms of appeal but it does ride well on bad roads. Besides its huge and would be a pain to drive in Shimla so its out of my list.

3. Tata Harrier
- The BS6 variant is great and its now better than the Hector but it still has some rough edges. The clutch is lighter than Hector or Compass and the acceleration/ roll on acceleration felt like it was with BS4 which is a good thing but in front of Seltos and Compass its cabin lacks in finesse and the rear suspension is the same as Seltos "More or Less" not to mention the lack of discs in the rear for such an heavy car and that worthless handbrake are some of the reasons why its out of my list.

2. KIA Seltos
- It's a wonderful alternative though not as heavy build as the TATA or the Jeep but still not a light build. The diesel engine is the most refined out of all these car's and there is almost no sound inside at speed and while in rest it sounds like a petrol. Its roll on acceleration seems to be almost as good as Harrier if not Compass. I am interested from the E to the HTX as almost all the variants satisfy my requirements. The feedback from the steering is better than Hector and Harrier while there is a slight difference between 1.4P and 1.5D the difference is not huge but the Seltos is not as heavy as Compass and that reflects in rough roads also the ABS activates way too early. While the HTE & HTK Plus are VFM but the HTX has things that are nice to have while still in my budget while the HTX Plus is not worth it because of the tiny sunroof, Overrated BOSE system and cooled seats which means no seat covers and plastic backs so if anyone sits in the back seat they are going to abuse you later. The stiff suspension, light clutch "Long Travel through" along with the peppy engine is a boom and I loved the combo so this is in my list for sure.

3. Jeep Compass
- I had settled on the Compass last year but was waiting for the BS6 model to arrive which it has but the new BS6 is a different animal than the BS4 car. The BS6 feels more relaxed and more linear than the BS4 while I miss that "Pin to the seat feel" its somehow similar to Seltos now which is quite sad. The road noise and engine noise are very well handled more so than Seltos or Hector or Harrier and I loved that independent suspension. When I test drove the Compass BS6 it felt better to drive in city than the older BS4 but the clutch is still super heavy and I always have to be extra careful not to ride the clutch. Its fun to drive and has a very smart shape but ergonomics is a bit sketchy but still even with the BS6 downgrade the Compass is a great car sadly I can only afford one variant of the car that is the Sport Plus but with that great but noisy engine, heavy build and stiff suspension its again in my list.

So there you have it in my books it come's down to Seltos or Compass but its not a question of how well a car is equipped because as I said its a home/city car and a base of Seltos and Compass will do fine with me. The question stands which would be a better long term buy since I have seen electronics fail after 5-7 years I dont want to get too much of that in the car. The space inside is more or less the same in both the cars and great size to drive around in Shimla.

Below are the specs compare of Compass BS4 & Seltos:-

20-80kph (in third) 9.37sec & 9.84sec
40-100kph (in fourth) 10.26sec & 10.85sec

Weight 1537kg & 1315kg
Brishti is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th March 2020, 19:47   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: BS6: Jeep Compass or Kia Seltos

What I understand is, you like performance, handling, reliability over features and fancy looks. You are looking for a car with a strong basics, which will serve you for a long term.

As a car I will prefer Compass over Seltos.

But, as you want to use it for a long term, staying with Kia will be a safer bet than Jeep. At-least we know the future plans of Kia and we have already seen their commitment towards the Indian market in such a short period. They have done their homework before entering India.
Whereas FCA even with a fantastic product like the Compass, they are not giving us any future hopes.

Regardless of all these, I in place of you will still pick the Compass.
Heart over mind!

Last edited by Samba : 26th March 2020 at 19:54.
Samba is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 26th March 2020, 20:44   #3
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brishti View Post
Requirements:
1. Need to be an SUV of the crossover persuasion.
2. No Tinbox build.
3. Mostly 2 people will travel together so don't want a huge car that is an issue to drive in a city like Shimla.
4. This will replace the Hyundai Accent and has to have the same or more space. Also need to be reliable since in Shimla the rain and snow can wreak havoc.
5. Budget is up to 20 lakhs it will be mostly financed but I will give 30% downpayment.
6. Need a BS6 diesel engine since it's for home & city use and will run quite a lot.
7. Has to be a manual because the extra control helps driving in the Himalayas.
I feel the Kia Seltos HTK+ 1.5L Diesel MT. Decently equipped variant with most features required and being a diesel + MT, will be great to drive around Shimla.

Build quality is decent and not in the leagues of VW/Skoda though and for 2 passengers, either of the cars will serve you well.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2020, 21:17   #4
Mik
BHPian

I went through the same journey and it did boil down between the Seltos 1.4 Turbo petrol and the Compass Sport Plus (BS4)

Honestly, apart from the dollops of features and cheaper price, in almost every respect the Compass felt better.

Since you live in Shimla and the requirement being a city car, the Compass will be a pain. The turning radius is humongous and you will have to shield yourself from all the angry stares The Seltos will make a fine case of itself there.

But if you do head out frequently, and take the corners and go further where there are no proper roads - the Compass is going to make you smile every step of the way. There is something stupidly boyish and iconic about the 7 slit grill which, I guarantee, is something you will see in the admiring stares of others. The Jeep Thing is real!
Mik is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th March 2020, 21:33   #5
Senior - BHPian

Since you indicated you you would primarily use the car in Shimla, it's always better to have a 4x4 to combat the snowy terrains which is part of the motoring life there. Jeep compass would fit the bill in that sense. Flip side is with a single product, FCA's existence and commitment to India is questionable. Besides, their service is not something to write home about. There's no doubting it's suv DNA , build quality etc.

Seltos on the other hand doesn't offer a 4X4 but is more nimble than Jeep when it comes to city use. In the long run it's a safe buy though. I own one and I wouldn't suggest it since you are going to use it the snowy terrain for a good part of the year and hence a car with a 4X4 capability suits you more.

Let me throw something else into the equation - a 4X4 Duster if you can manage it (Hoping that SC would extend the March 31 deadline for BS4). That would be a worthy buy if you can find one in the given circumstances.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 26th March 2020 at 21:35.
Bibendum90949 is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 26th March 2020, 22:01   #6
BHPian

As a owner of Compass I feel manual compass is not a very suitable vehicle to use in city like Shimla for two reasons viz. a big turning radius and not so effortless clutch which will be used extensively. So for use inside Shimla Seltos being very light and car like to drive will be easy for driver to manoeuver. But if you drive extensively outside city limits say for going to chail, Chandigarh from Shimla compass will be in different league. It's superior engineering will shine through. Moreover it will be much safer due to its tank like build.

If you can stretch for 4*4 longitude option auto it will be a good choice, I suppose, but you should first take a test drive inside city to know clearly.

So it is pretty simple in the end for more city usage manual model Seltos and for all other type of usage Compass.

Last edited by Sandeep500 : 26th March 2020 at 22:02.
Sandeep500 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th March 2020, 22:42   #7
BANNED

While I agree with everyone that the turning radius if the Compass will be a problem, yet I also think that the Seltos is not a solution, especially in the underpowered 1.5 Diesel, especially when it shares its garage with an Octavia, whose practicality is always going to be questionable when it comes to the snowy Himachal winters. The 1.5 Seltos is neither an AWD, nor is it fun to drive.

Can you extend your budget to include either the Tucson AWD or the CR-V diesel?

Last edited by GTO : 27th March 2020 at 07:14. Reason: typo
turbo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2020, 23:45   #8
BHPian

As @Bibendum90949 has suggested a AWD / 4x4 option would be well suited too and you can consider Duster or XUV500. That way Jeep 4x4 will be the best of both world but at higher expense.

Unless "manual gear" and "optimal car sizing" would have been part of the criteria, I would have suggested Harrier AT BS6 over the Jeep Compass as apart from the primary 4x4 advantage of the Jeep there would be decent 3 - 4 lakhs of INR saving on the Harrier which is a lot of money. Its identical engine and tune in both and moreover cabin in Harrier is more spacious including the rear seat comfort and a massive road presence. Of course cornering may be still better in Jeep but then again I hope that will not be put to test in the Himalayas.
haisaikat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2020, 04:01   #9
BHPian

Among your choices,

Seltos is a great car, no doubt a superhit model, but except the price range it doesn’t compete the rest as such. You get a small car, light, nimble and a good FE.

Hector, Harrier and Compass are a segment above in space and specs. They share same engine. As far as build quality, transmission and dynamics are concerned, Hector is a NO, new Harrier is better but Compass rules the roost. Compass is pricier but you will have AWD option that could be useful during winters because the other car in your garage is a 2WD.

If budget doesn’t allow for Compass, my next bet would be the new Harrier, top end. Way more spacious, commanding road presence and has a relatively larger service network (you seem to keep your cars for long time).

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 27th March 2020 at 04:07.
Thermodynamics is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th March 2020, 07:27   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: BS6: Jeep Compass or Kia Seltos

For sheer driving pleasure, build quality & the open road, the Compass rules. It's a proper Euro-car driving experience at high speeds. However, your requirements seem to be mixed. If you are looking primarily for a city car, you should consider the Seltos AT. It's a brilliantly tuned engine + gearbox combination, among the best I've driven under 25 lakhs. Get the 16" rim size for improved ride quality (17s will be firm). You should also consider the new & ugly Creta. While I haven't driven it yet, there is a fair chance that it has a typically Hyundai-comfortable suspension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brishti View Post
Has to be a manual because the extra control helps driving in the Himalayas.
The newer ATs have manual mode which can pretty much help with any kind of situation. Heck, the best offroaders today come with AT gearboxes. It's just a matter of learning & getting used to.

Last edited by GTO : 27th March 2020 at 11:07.
GTO is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 27th March 2020, 09:50   #11
Senior - BHPian

Between the Seltos and the Compass, it comes down to a simple choice. The Seltos is a more capable on-road vehicle, while the Compass is a more capable off-road vehicle. Depending on your requirements and road conditions, pick accordingly.
pganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2020, 09:54   #12
Senior - BHPian

If you are not going for the 4x4 model, I don't see any reason to go for the compass. I believe you will get a better service experience at Kia. To be honest, I am still not convinced about the long term strategies of Jeep. But I am convinced about Kia. They are in it for the long haul. Seltos AT will be my choice here.
Old 27th March 2020, 11:36   #13
BHPian

Reading about your requirements, this car would be a replacement to your Accent, so lets assume that heavy offroading is not the primary use for this car; and this is where Seltos shines through and is a better buy for in-city use and wont be a laggard by any means when you take it on the highway.
Sure, Compass is better built, feels better to drive on highway and has more involving dynamics however Seltos is not shabby at all in any of the above criteria. Being a safer choice in terms of maintenance, servicing, cost of ownership, in city driving and more features; for me it wins even in a direct car to car comparison.

Add the price of these respective cars into equation; and the premium being charged by Compass (and its a steep one) doesn't seem justified to me. This a purely personal opinion.
If i were you, i'd have gone for HTX Plus Diesel manual or GTX plus Diesel Automatic. Sure, the top model has few features which are just nice to have and don't hold much use; but considering you keep your cars for long; its better to future proof and your car wont feel obsolete few years down the line when these features start cascading to lower categories.
Old 27th March 2020, 11:58   #14
BHPian

Going by your requirements, I too would recommend the Compass 4X4 (possibly the Longitude (O) 4X4 AT), if its possible to extend your budget. Since this is a long term purchase, I would say its worth to increase your budget for the same. Like already mentioned, a good automatic would suffice even for the possible off-road uses you might have in Shimla.
The higher displacement would be an added benefit in High altitudes. Do take a test-drive before taking a final decision.
Old 27th March 2020, 11:59   #15
Senior - BHPian

I would go with SX Creta or the HTK+ Seltos both diesel. If you are okay with lower segment, I would go for Ecosport Diesel Top spec. Found this size perfect for drive in hills, engine has enough grunt too. Compass is simply overkill for your requirements.
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed