Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which Rs. 30 lakh SUV would you choose?
Ford Endeavour 2.0 173 40.33%
Toyota Fortuner 118 27.51%
Mahindra Alturas G4 15 3.50%
Skoda Kodiaq 106 24.71%
Honda CR-V 4 0.93%
Other (please specify in your post) 13 3.03%
Voters: 429. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2020, 12:39   #31
BHPian

Re: Ford Endeavour 2.0 vs the competition

I mentioned others because the 3.2 Endeavour is more aggressive in throttle input than the new 2.0 Ecoblue engine. Plus the 3.2L is more mod friendly and the 2.0 lacks the punch in acceleration(more acceleration input) but the gearbox is a different level though and of course, usual cost cutting by Ford such as removing illumination from the gearbox. Day and night power difference driving both 3.2 and 2.0

The competition either lacks the solidity of the Endeavour or the maintenance is either too short/expensive. 3.2L or a bi-turbo Endeavor all the way.
Old 9th April 2020, 13:55   #32
BHPian

I am not sure, but I lost my confidence with Ford now especially with 2 liter diesel launch. Endeavour was my favorite for sure, but whether I will put my 30 lakhs in a vehicle with 2 liter diesel, that too with an uncertain future in India, thus unsure about cost of spares and service? I do not think so. But again, it is me. People are there who wants certain features and brand value (Toyota being a politico's favorite) they might still go and buy Ford. It has its own exclusiveness. But the Toyota's reliability and rock solid image is still unbeatable. Finally, if the 30l means maximum, then, Fortuner is out reach for now. But there are many in the used market under 30l. Actually, I am in the look out for an diesel SUV around 20 lakhs, to replace my Innova.

Last edited by Sheel : 9th April 2020 at 15:37. Reason: Endy = Endeavour. No acronyms please.
sgmuser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2020, 14:38   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Frankly, Kodiaq should not be even in this thread at first place if we were to use the Fortuner or Endeavour for their intended purposes but both vehicles cater to a very different set of customers in India. ...For us, these are urban SUV's so the comparison with Kodiaq.
Completely agree with your views here.
The comparison works only in the context of an urban use, else really not. I also do agree to the fact that Toyota has not caught up with adding gizmos to their offerings like the competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Unless, someone is driving only on the urban roads, perhaps all three will be similar but if the usage is on the broken roads or gravel, I am afraid you will look at an expensive suspension overhaul on a Kodiaq. I agree with your observations on the Kodiaq being nimble and faster because it's made to do that. A Jeep Compass will also do exactly same. People who will normally travel to office and back and an occasional trip to Leh or in NE, Kodiaq will serve equally well but so will be Jeep Compass, so we can add that as an option as well and there will be many more such vehicles!
For that matter, in this comparison we should add Tiguan, Hector, Harrier, Seltos, etc etc and ofcourse Creta - the unbeatable VFM urban SUV
laluks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th April 2020, 15:17   #34
sgm
BHPian

Endeavour 2.0 vs Fortuner, it is a close call for me, still I would pick Fortuner for being a Toyota.

Having owned a Ford for over a decade, it was definitely a fun machine, but I don't have so good memories about its reliability and maintenance costs. Toyotas have been amazing, though bit low on fun factor. The maintenance costs will shame even Maruti.
Old 9th April 2020, 16:02   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted for the Endeavour.

Honestly, from among all the vehicles in the list, I have driven the Endeavour only, that too the 3.2. As an SUV, it is fantastic overall - comfort, driving dynamics, looks and features. I am assuming the 2.0 is not too bad in comparison and hence, my vote.

However if the engine felt insufficient, my next vote would go to Fortuner because of its engineering, engine, reliability and low cost of ownership.

If I was looking for an SUV, I wouldn't look at the CRV and Kodiaq. IMO, they are softroaders and not meant for frequent use on bad roads. They come into picture if usage is 95% good roads.

In late 2017, my uncle was looking for a SUV to replace his old Pajero SFX. He was undecided between the Endy, Fortuner and the Kodiaq. I knew his usage, about 30% of his trips are to remote locations, bad roads and even some mine areas. He loves driving and doing few long trips. I suggested Endy (driving pleasure and comfort) > Fortuner (reliability and resale)>> Kodiaq (not suited for the use case) and he agreed with me after doing test drives.

Close to 2.5 years since he got a fully loaded 3.2 Endy and he is one very happy owner. Though he exclaims that the Pajero was even tougher and I couldn't agree more.

Edit: I realized I had missed out the Alturas. Honestly, I have had to look up the voting options twice as I had forgotten this SUV's name. Looks great and has good road presence too (better than the CRV and the Kodiaq from a SUV perspective). However when spending such amounts, I would prefer something tried and tested.

Last edited by ashis89 : 9th April 2020 at 16:08.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2020, 17:01   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Somehow this reminds me of the Safari Vs Scorpio situation, The safari won hearts but the Scorpio with its compact dimensions was more usable for its intended utility. I wish we had the Landcuisers and Pajero`s of the 80s and 90s, they were proper useable size in comparison to the their more modern releases.

It really is between Endy and TFort in India , others are watching from the sidelines. I really like the Ford for its looks and interiors, you are getting a lot more for your money there in comparison to toyota. But the size of Fortuner is more compact and practical if it has to travel to places I would like to. I feel Fortuner is has more 'U' in the SUV bit, But the sheet metal wont survive well as I have observed.

The value proposition when moving up from a 20L 4X4 to a 40L 4X4 - i`m expecting a lot, sadly both of these do not feel VFM at all anymore.
Kosfactor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2020, 17:28   #37
BHPian

The Skoda wins hands down for me. My vote would have been very different had we been specifically discussing a 4x4, off-road capable SUV (Endeavour all the way then!) But for a city-cum-highway use vehicle, which would encompass 99% of my driving pattern, there isn't a more luxurious, refined, gorgeous SUV IMHO.
sam_babushka is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2020, 19:20   #38

It is the Endeavour for me.
docinog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2020, 21:41   #39
BHPian

I voted for Others. I owned the 3.2 Endeavour and sadly had to sell it due to severe rust issues on the frame. It was 3 years old and completed about 75k km. The rust had corroded coils, the undercarriage, the boot, and the frame. It rusted to such an extent that they said it was not safe to drive anymore, after my 70k service.

I went through a long and protracted 5-month fight with Ford, who refused to honor their warranty. I took it all the way to the top, the India MD, and finally gave up after speaking to global. Every country the Endeavour/Everest is sold in comes with a 5-year rust perforation warranty. However, in India they do not. I don't know if this is due to the poor legal system here or they feel the customers won't notice. I purchased the extended warranty for 5 years, but they said rust is not covered under that also. They blamed it on the environment as I lived in Chennai, which is funny because their factory is in Chennai. I gave some samples of metal to an external lab and it looks like Ford did not galvanize the frame. Trivial cost to them, but I guess saving 1000rs is more important. Their service centers somehow missed this even though I gave it for service as scheduled, which with my usage was about every 4-5 months.

Anyways, that's pain and toil for another thread. I found a buyer who ended up using the car for a movie shoot so no concern about the rusting. Got a little lower than if the car wasn't rusting but what choice did I have. I also got a great deal on a Tiguan. It was a difficult switch going from the intimidating beast that is the Endeavour (that too with the 3.2), but the Tiguan has been an excellent replacement. The engine and gearbox are the same as the Kodiaq, and both do a great job in the low end in the city or on the highway. And cruising on the highway is effortless and extremely frugal. The AWD isn't as rugged as the 4x4 in the Endeavour, and I had some major concerns as I live on a farm that doesn't have a paved or any real road for that matter. But even during heavy rains and going through a foot or so of mud and dirt the Tiguan had no issues and didn't bottom out anywhere. The new All Space avatar will be basically the Kodiaq. Both will lose the frugality of the 2.0 TDI but make up for it with a spirited 190bhp.

Mod Note : Please do NOT use acronyms (e.g. ANHC, T-Fort, Endy) when referring to cars. You are ONLY permitted to use the full Make & Model name for cars. This will make our content useful, searchable & easy-to-understand for experts & newbies alike.

Any further usage of acronyms will invite Moderator action on your account.

Thanks!

Last edited by Sheel : 9th April 2020 at 21:50. Reason: Mod note attached.
showboat is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th April 2020, 21:48   #40
BHPian

After 3 years or so, I'll be in market shopping for the premium SUV. Depending on the examples and deal, I would get that time, will pick up pre-owned either Kodiaq or Endeavour. Although voted for Kodiaq.
Old 10th April 2020, 02:28   #41
BHPian

I'm a huge fan of the Ford Endeavour. I have driven both the 2.2 and the 3.2 litre engines of the pre-facelift model. If I were to choose between the options here, I would still choose the Endeavour 2.0 because the car comes together so well! There is something about it that is more than the sum of its parts. Everything from the cabin, to the driving position makes the driver feel special. I couldn't find that connect in the Fortuner. In fact, my cousin brother sold the current generation Fortuner to buy the Endeavour (the 3.2), and he is a very happy man.

In the same breath, if it were my own money, I would buy a used 3.2. I just can't convince myself to buy a 2.0 litre engine "upgrading" from the 2.0 litre diesel in my Cruze. It might sound strange, but even the slow-shifting gearbox of the 3.2 has an appeal which adds to the rugged feel of the Endeavour.
nimishlalwani is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2020, 13:40   #42
BHPian

I doubt any of the above mentioned 4X4 SUVs can be owned for 30L rupees? For me a suv must have 4x4 with AT gearbox, high reliability, FE not less than 10kmpl for regular usage( nothing less than 9kmpl), comfortable 5 seater(3rd row is appreciated, but not necessary). SUV must be durable( it should last 10-15yrs and 2-3lac kms if maintained well), decent after sale service.
drbones is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2020, 14:04   #43
BHPian

There are many good options in the used car market for Endeavour 3.2 Auto Trend around 20 to 25 lakhs or even around 18 plus lakhs for 2016 model. But for Fortuner 4x2 Auto, I couldn't see anything less than 24 lakhs for 2017 year model. I just did a quick check in Olx and options are very interesting.
Old 10th April 2020, 18:28   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Was very tough between the Endeavour & Kodiaq for me. I simply ogle at the Kodiaq's clean lines, understated looks & polished personality. Style just overflows from that car. And the cabin is very upmarket too!

Something about the butch ford makes it more likeable though. Maybe because its a bit crude and brawny. That gives more of that "go-anywhere" confidence. Then - we aren't sure about VW-Skoda's future plans for diesel engines in India. I'm an oil burner to the core. So even with the smaller and only modestly powered 2.0L single turbo unit, I'll pick the Endeavour. Got it in the brain about rocks & American cars rather than Europeans. Dunno!

Last edited by Sheel : 10th April 2020 at 18:45. Reason: No acronyms please while referring to cars make / model.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2020, 18:38   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by showboat View Post
I voted for Others. I owned the 3.2 Endeavour and sadly had to sell it due to severe rust issues on the frame. It was 3 years old and completed about 75k km. The rust had corroded coils, the undercarriage, the boot, and the frame. It rusted to such an extent that they said it was not safe to drive anymore, after my 70k service.
This is quite worrying. I too own an Endeavour 3.2, Feb 2016 model. Done about 60k. Absolutely no issues so far and I am yet to see any signs of rust in my car. A few fellow Endeavour owners have mentioned rusting along door edges and some minor rusting in the under body, which is not very good, but nothing really serious like what you have mentioned. You have mentioned rusting to the extent of the car being not road worthy!

Frankly, seems quite unbelievable that a well or even say a not so well maintained car, whatever make or price range, would reach this stage in 3 years! So all cars in coastal areas should eventually disintegrate and fall apart in about 5 years? Which is not the case, right? And hence my doubts. Many of the other owners (both here in Tbhp and our Endeavour group) are from Chennai, Mumbai, Kochi and other coastal areas, and I have never heard such complaints.

Are you sure your car wasn't driven in the beach and not given a fresh water wash later? Just left to dry and rust? Sea water is a bad corrosive and should be washed off as soon as possible. Did you use your car as a dune buggy in the beaches for fun? If so, did you give the under body and the entire car a nice pressure wash after that? Asking since this is quite a serious issue.

What was Ford's response to this? Did they tell you why your car rusted so quickly? Apart from just blaming the Chennai weather!
SCORPION is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks